As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health Care Reform: Now With PR Gimmicks! We're Doomed.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Dude we just insured 25 million people.

I submit it is time to celebrate from here to New Years.

Not until the damn bill is reconciled with the house and signed, and even then if it takes long enough to implement the GOP is going to do their best to gut it before it takes effect.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have you guys ever been uninsured in the midst of a major illness?

Because my wife was.

The full significance of what was just agreed upon today is lost on you if your are not lit up with the light of ten suns by this.

Speaker on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Does the conference bill still need to be subjected to the 60-vote requirement?

Because I just have a feeling that Lieberman is going to shank us on principle.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »

Yup.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yes. Otherwise they could completely rewrite the bill in conference.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

The full significance of what was just agreed upon today is lost on you if your are not lit up with the light of ten suns by this.

What if you're a raging cynic who still thinks that this thing will somehow crash and burn before making it to obama's desk

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's also the question of how many of his merry band of assholes Stupak will have.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is good:
    The Exchange shall require health plans seeking certification as qualified health plans to submit to the Exchange, the Secretary, the State insurance commissioner, and make available to the public, accurate and timely disclosure of the following information:

(i) Claims payment policies and practices.
    (ii) Periodic financial disclosures.
    (iii) Data on enrollment.
    (iv) Data on disenrollment.
    (v) Data on the number of claims denied.
    (vi) Data on rating practices.
    (vii) Information on cost sharing payments with respect to any out-of-network coverage.
    (viii) Information on enrollee and participant rights under this title.
    (ix) Other information as determined appropriate by the Secretary.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

What if you're a raging cynic who still thinks that this thing will somehow crash and burn before making it to obama's desk

Then you need a doctor to prescribe you some hopium.

Speaker on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    There's also the question of how many of his merry band of assholes Stupak will have.

Stupak is in the house, though, and Pelosi seems to have a pretty good handle on shit over there.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Stupak is in the house, though, and Pelosi seems to have a pretty good handle on shit over there.

That's why it matters how many he has. There are theoretically the votes to kill it, maybe.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/reid-files-for-cloture-and-cloture-and-cloture-on-health-care-reform.php?ref=fpb
    The Senate has just entered its long glide toward passage of health care legislation. Majority Leader Harry Reid has filed for cloture on his manager's amendment to his reform bill, as well as to the reform package, and the shell bill it will be attached to. He then "filled the amendment tree" on health care bill, preventing it from being further amended beyond the amendments in his manager's package.

All of that is a really technical way of saying: the clock is running. In the coming days, the Senate will hold a series of votes, likely spaced about 30 hours apart, which will culminate in passage of health care legislation--unless, of course, Reid does not in fact have 60 supporters, as he says he does.

We'll be there at every step of the process.

So that's it. The bill, at this point, will not get any better or worse.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Reconciliation can still change the bill.

We'll see.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

We'll see.

Conference!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

We'll see.

Conference!

I now know more about Senatorial procedure than I have ever wanted to.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »

We'll see.

Conference!

Yeah, and what percent of it makes sense? 5? Am I being overly generous?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

We'll see.

Conference!

Think of this as your own personal The Jungle. You want to know what goes into making sausage? No, you do not, but now that you do...

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

That's why it matters how many he has. There are theoretically the votes to kill it, maybe.
    I don't want to cause undue optimism, but Stupak is something of an aberration. He's an extreme anti-choice vote but usually party line on economic matters (though he can and does screw up things there too). I suspect that most blue dogs who won't find the Senate compromise acceptable aren't of the same mold, and were no votes on HCR even with Stupak.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

We'll see.

Conference!

Think of this as your own personal The Jungle. You want to know what goes into making sausage? No, you do not, but now that you do...

I've been on the floor of a meatpacking plant in order to get site measurements for a remodel of their conference room.

It made me hungry.

moniker on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The present bill looks about a thousand times better than I had expected we would get.

I should probably be less cynical.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The present bill looks about a thousand times better than I had expected we would get.

Well, according to Nate, the OMGDEATHTOLIEBERMAN backlash took all the leverage away from Nelson. Pretty much the message to Nelson was 'This better be good, asshole, or this bill is dead and you get jack shit and you can be in the same situation he is. And good luck being on your own as a Democrat in Nebraska.'

Nelson more or less caved.

Your strategy worked, Rust, though not how you intended.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So our Liberal death rage worked? Wow, did not see that one comming.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We are in a national game of chicken: "I'm gonna walk away!" "Oh shit. Here." "Thanks, but I'm still gonna walk away!" "Oh shit. Here." "Thanks, but I'm still gonna walk away!" "Fuck it, now I'M gonna walk away!" "Oh shit..."

We are probably the most entertaining reality show ever if you're watching cozily from, say, France or something.

Gosling on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Did we make sure the coverage won't suck and won't bankrupt them is the question. I'm starting to lean towards it won't suck, but cost eek.

Agreed. I am of the "tenuous support and minimally better than the status quo" camp, but another way to say what Speaker is saying is "Dude, we just forced 25 million people to buy insurance from a monopolistic set of corporations that donate obscene amounts of money to the people who made this new requirement law."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well, according to Nate, the OMGDEATHTOLIEBERMAN backlash took all the leverage away from Nelson. Pretty much the message to Nelson was 'This better be good, asshole, or this bill is dead and you get jack shit and you can be in the same situation he is. And good luck being on your own as a Democrat in Nebraska.'

Yay, right?

Im happy its at least moving forward.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Amusingly, if you were Liebermann you could potentially spin this into suggesting that Liebermann's aggressive actions to put his own interests first ensured health care reform passage by stealing all the wind behind the sails of other potential obstructionists.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From the looks of it I'm still a bit on the fence leaning towards supporting the bill, primarily on the condition that there aren't any nasty surprises that got put into it without us noticing yet. Allowing selling insurance around state based regulations for the FEHB like plans has me very nervous. As long as the Federal government actually brings down the hammer and regulates the plans in that portion of the exchange and the cross state lines stuff ONLY applies to those insurance plans in particular then I'll accept it, but anything less and you're asking for trouble.

And it looks like standing up to the conservadems worked, even only if it was done by the left wing of the party? Who could have guessed!?

Sheesh.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Savant wrote: »
    From the looks of it I'm still a bit on the fence leaning towards supporting the bill, primarily on the condition that there aren't any nasty surprises that got put into it without us noticing yet. Allowing selling insurance around state based regulations for the FEHB like plans has me very nervous. As long as the Federal government actually brings down the hammer and regulates the plans in that portion of the exchange and the cross state lines stuff ONLY applies to those insurance plans in particular then I'll accept it, but anything less and you're asking for trouble.

And it looks like standing up to the conservadems worked, even only if it was done by the left wing of the party? Who could have guessed!?

Sheesh.

Time to start pulling this bill back in our direction, yes?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

Then you need a doctor to prescribe you some hopium.

But I don't have health insurance

BLAST

override367 on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Did we make sure the coverage won't suck and won't bankrupt them is the question. I'm starting to lean towards it won't suck, but cost eek.

The bill has billions in subsidies for poor people for a reason.

big l on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    big l wrote: »

It could use a lot more, to be honest.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    big l wrote: »

It could use a lot more, to be honest.

Just pay for surgically implanted bootstraps and it pays for itself.

moniker on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

Yes I was. I almost died. I was and still am uninsured and was in the midst of campaigning for Obama. I waited until I couldn't even walk or stand anymore due to pain before going to the hospital.

So it is hard for me to not get angry sometimes about lack of reform. I was completely on board until the state opt-out got dropped because I was sure it would still do a lot of good. But now I have no idea. I guess it will be exactly the same for me except I'll have to pay a fine since it still won't help me pay for insurance? So sorry if I'm not happy about this.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lion wrote: »

Because my wife was.

Yes I was. I almost died. I was and still am uninsured and was in the midst of campaigning for Obama. I waited until I couldn't even walk or stand anymore due to pain before going to the hospital.

So it is hard for me to not get angry sometimes about lack of reform. I was completely on board until the state opt-out got dropped because I was sure it would still do a lot of good. But now I have no idea. I guess it will be exactly the same for me except I'll have to pay a fine since it still won't help me pay for insurance? So sorry if I'm not happy about this.

You make 6 figures but don't get insurance through work?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

6 figures? What?

Lion on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You have to make alot of money to not get any subsidy, and if you have a job they're going to have to pay at least some of it

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because my wife was.

6 figures? What?

Unless you are in the upper quintiles you are getting help to pay for it.
    hcbill.png

Granted, the subsidies could be more generous, but they couldn't be any more existent.

moniker on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Remember that chart is a little old, they've been changing the bill recently and one of Nelson's targets was the subsidies. From what I could tell he didn't outright succeed though.

If they are going to go through with the OPM controlled federal level insurance plans, then it makes no sense for the health insurers to maintain their anti-trust exemption. There isn't even a states rights argument anymore, because at least some of the plans will be clearly be under the umbrella of interstate commerce.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh that makes more sense but I thought that chart was old. Everything I do is contract work so no insurance. I don't know if the help will apply or if it will be enough if it does apply.

Lion on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's absolutely gob-smackingly insane that you guys are dropping 20k/year on healthcare from a family earning 54k

What the fuck, America

What. The. Fuck.

Robman on
This discussion has been closed.