As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[deleted]

TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
edited July 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
[deleted]

Taximes on

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty sure i saw in a review that the 3d aspect only works on "3d enabled" tvs, of which i think there are only 2 out there for sale at the moment as far as im aware.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/the-complete-guide-to-3d-tv-625792?artc_pg=2

That page has some details, but it seems a bit dated.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think "3D encoders" are a little bit like "cable card compatible devices," i.e. vaporware. They exist in concept, but there's no market for them so they either are not being produced by anyone, or are produced by one company and sold for about 1000% what they should actually cost.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know what the fuck this RealD encoder is. There are 3D HDTVs but they are few and far between. However, more of Panasonic's line is 3D next year. And after CES we'll probably know more. And yea, you're buying a new TV to get that to work, as far as I know.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    I thought that requirement was just referring to the RealD technology that they used in the theaters.
    RealD uses circularly polarized light. As far as I know, there are currently NO TVs that can produce this effect. Good luck projecting clockwise and counterclockwise polarized light from your LCD screen... I'm not sure even linear polarization could work on current TVs.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    don't want to threadjack, but are these things as cool as they sound? being able to play almost any modern game in 3D sounds too good to be true, so I guess it probably is.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    don't want to threadjack, but are these things as cool as they sound? being able to play almost any modern game in 3D sounds too good to be true, so I guess it probably is.

Taken from the page:
    Cons: Does not support SLI or Crossfire configuration, does not support dual monitor configuration, does not support 64-Bit operating systems, and does not support OpenGL apps. Now, that being said, I don't quite understand why they call it a "gaming monitor" as the latest and greatest of games require more memory than a 32-Bit OS can handle, and some even require an SLI or Crossfire setup to run at full spec.

So its too good to be true.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Taken from the page:
    Cons: Does not support SLI or Crossfire configuration, does not support dual monitor configuration, does not support 64-Bit operating systems, and does not support OpenGL apps. Now, that being said, I don't quite understand why they call it a "gaming monitor" as the latest and greatest of games require more memory than a 32-Bit OS can handle, and some even require an SLI or Crossfire setup to run at full spec.

the manufacturer responded to that con list:
    Thank you for your review. Since this review was written in Q12008, iZ3D has improved many of the cons that you have listed.

Although iZ3D doesn't officially support SLI/Crossfire yet, we have had customers report that it is working. You can see this in the link below to our forums. We will have full official support by the end of 2009 or beginning of 2010.

Dual monitor setup is possible with the use of two video cards acting separately (non-SLI).

We do support 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, including XP, Vista, and Win 7. The improved software can be downloaded from the link below.

not sayin' that he should buy the monitor, but it appears to be less bad than what that reviewer said

MrDelish on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Played it at an expo, you need a 3D tv which will set you back around $1500 and some of those grey glasses.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    [deleted]

Taximes on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    Dang. Well, thanks guys.

What I don't get is why they didn't include an old fashioned red/blue anaglyph mode. That's what the 3D movies do for DVD/Blu-Ray release, isn't it?

Seems odd that they wouldn't have included that to hit a wider demographic, especially considering all the 3D hype surrounding the movie.

I don't think that's what's going on here. the front page of www.hdguru.com has some details of how 3DTV/Games are going to go down next year, looks like it's moving faster than people thought. Thank god they made the move to have all 3D media be backwards-compatible.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

Taken from the page:

the manufacturer responded to that con list:
    Thank you for your review. Since this review was written in Q12008, iZ3D has improved many of the cons that you have listed.

Although iZ3D doesn't officially support SLI/Crossfire yet, we have had customers report that it is working. You can see this in the link below to our forums. We will have full official support by the end of 2009 or beginning of 2010.

Dual monitor setup is possible with the use of two video cards acting separately (non-SLI).

We do support 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, including XP, Vista, and Win 7. The improved software can be downloaded from the link below.

not sayin' that he should buy the monitor, but it appears to be less bad than what that reviewer said

Yeah, I was able to read the reviews there on my own, I was looking for some personal testimonials from some PA readers. As I understand it, the thing doesn't readily support SLI or dual monitors because it has 2 inputs - it essentially operates AS 2 overlapping monitors, offset slightly to create the 3D effect.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, will it not be possible for a 120hz TV to do 3d gaming/movies? I don't see why not...

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png