As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't Decide (Rooming Issue)

ApolloTreatingYouApolloTreatingYou __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I kinda have some options with where I wanna live and I need some help deciding. Heres the lowdown:

Place 1 Pros: appartment, closer to work by about 15-20mins than place 2, 600$ a month.
Cons: Farther from my brother and all my friendsby about 10-15mins.

Place 2: Pros: Much closer to my brother, walking distance from a good friend, everyone I know right around the corner.

Cons: 700$ a month, farther from work by about 20mins.

no you cannot have a sig that size. especially with compression that crappy.
ApolloTreatingYou on

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How nice are these places, relatively speaking? That's important information as well.

naporeon on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Go to the one that's closer to where (who) you want to be (with).

The Savior on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    How nice are these places, relatively speaking? That's important information as well.

I havn't actually looked at place 1 yet, but place 2 is pretty damn nice. Big pool and deck and shit.

Only thing is the guy wants me to like call him and tell him yes or no tommorow. I might just call him and say wait while I go look at the other places.

Place 1 is also a condo, not a house like place 2.

ApolloTreatingYou on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Savior wrote:
    Go to the one that's closer to where (who) you want to be (with).

Well... I'd rather be closer to my friends, but I hate waking up earlier for work... so.. idk.

ApolloTreatingYou on
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd rather be closer to my friends. It's just more fun.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Place #2 hands down. You will get used to your commute to work.

fforde on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd say place 1. Any time I can take out of my commute is great, because I always feel rushed when commuting to work. I wouldn't feel as rushed when driving to see my friends.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if total driving distance from friends is 30+ minutes at place 1 and you're seeing them twice weekly...fuck that noise.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    game theory, assuming they are equal choices:

which will cost you more - driving to see your friends on weekends and the occasional afternoon or driving to work every day? Your friends, if that sobriquet is applicable, and your brother will occasionlly make the trip to your house as well, right?

And $1200 a year buys about 24 tanks of gas you can use to drive to either optional destination.

Getting home from work quicker saves you time and energy you can use for other projects, included but not limited too time with friends...I'm leaning toward place 1, assuming both of them are nice places otherwise.

game theory over

It sounds, however, like place 2 is actually a lot nicer, which you have to put a value on. If you do a lot of entertaining, or you need the space of a house, or you have pets, 2 is probably your better option.

Don't forget 'hidden expenses' such as heating, cooling, or lawncare which tend to be a little highter in a non-apt (although worth it, IMO, for not having to semi-annually 'break in' new neighbors)

Also, I actually like it when my place is grand central. I enjoy it when people stop over to play a game or watch a movie or just whatever. I actually get a value from that. That and having a yard between me and my neighbors. And a deck, on which I can grill. So I personally would probably rather live in place 2. Plus . . . I mean a pool? A house with a pool? That's a panty crowbar, dude.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    live in the cheaper place long enough to get a good job, and then just buy a car and drive to your brother's/friends' houses.

win-win

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Living near your brother and friend would probably mean you would see them more often. This would probably mean you would be in a better mood more often, and generally life is a little bit more enjoyable. I think this more than compensates for the financial advantage of living closer to work.

fforde on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fforde wrote:
    Living near your brother and friend would probably mean you would see them more often. This would probably mean you would be in a better mood more often, and generally life is a little bit more enjoyable. I think this more than compensates for the financial advantage of living closer to work.

but he's mentioned that a longer commute is bad, which would make his life sadder.

and it's in the morning, when it's dark. I know going to school everyday wants to make me throw myself in front of a bus instead of board one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Live closer to your friends and I doubt you'll regret it. You have to go to work, friends are an option. Keeping that option easier just means you'll naturally spend more time with and get closer to your friends. You're going to spend the same amount of time at work regardless. Like was mentioned before, living in a neighborhood with friends is awesome, it feels like your home is waaaay bigger than it really is.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if you have an ipod, driving to work every day could be a good thing. i love when i have to drive because then i get to catch up on my music and podcast downloads.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fforde wrote:

but he's mentioned that a longer commute is bad, which would make his life sadder.

and it's in the morning, when it's dark. I know going to school everyday wants to make me throw myself in front of a bus instead of board one.

The longer commute is mandatory though, while seeing your friends is not. I did this once where I choose a place closer to my classes at college but farther from my friends and I ended up seeing them a lot less because I didn't want to take the bus to see them some of the time.

khain on