As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bigman thread! Post yer quads!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm finding it sorta difficult to get through Starting Strength fast enough.

Makes me feel like a tiny man.

Funny how long it can take to get through 3 lifts eh

makes a real contrast compared to folks that do something like 10 machine exercises at 3x15

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally got to the gym again after far too long off.

Hernia, then moving, then waiting for the location to be built by me, then a car accident.

Finally recovered so I've started the Starting Strength program. Can't wait to rock this shit and get healthy again.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just got a 100 lb powerclean. I like hitting the round numbers.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fallout wrote: »
    Oh, good. Now I just gotta cut out the last pieces of crappy food that I still eat.

SANTOROWNED.png

Carbs are the crack cocaine of eating

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    All those numbers seem really arbitrary. Why would 47 sit ups be an indicator of anything?
    But to be honest it was probably six or seven years ago since I've timed myself running a mile. I have no idea if I could make it.

What numbers would be there that WOULDN'T be arbitrary?

yeah you make a good point. I guess I was just surprised with that prime number

some bean counters somewhere decided that would be a good number to assess a persons fitness level. the military loves to do that sort of thing (i.e., apply abritrary numbers to things as they see fit and not explain themselves), which is annoying enough, but really aggitating when it comes to things like my pay.

spazmojack on
  • Options
    grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Just got a 100 lb powerclean. I like hitting the round numbers.

Grats, and yes it does. The bumpers at my gym are in kg (as they should be) so now I am trying to clean and jerk 100kg. 15kg to go.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I clean and jerk my 100kg every night.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i dunno about you guys

but i usually jerk then clean

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've always preferred to get a snatch first and then jerk but I am a hideous pervert.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So my buddy is playing football at a small college and our former coach just took the main job there.

He's gonna talk to the coach about getting me to play there.

Gonna need to get Bigger Man.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wait, I'm confused. Are you still in high school, DL? Or planning to transfer?

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    no i may transfer. which would suck, but eh. i'd do just about anything to play football again.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomorrow is Power Clean day

did I tell you that I LOVE power clean day?

I love power clean day

hectorse on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So whudduz a groin injury feel like?

I was doing squats on Monday, with nothing terribly heavy -- 30 in weights + a 45 (?) lb. bar would've made it 75 lbs. I was lifting. Did about 6 sets of 5, going as deep into the squat as I felt I could, which was probably deeper than parallel.

I walked away from the rack with a sharp pain in my left leg, right in my glute, every time I took weight off of it. I chalked it up to soreness and finished up, though I didn't do anymore leg stuff. The day after, I had to walk with a slight limp in the same leg, but nothing out of the ordinary. Week went on, the soreness left.

I get on the treadmill for a warmup jog for 5 min @ 8.5mph tonight, though, and I feel like I'm really struggling. Normally it really isn't an issue to keep up the pace, but it was a little tougher it seemed. I get off the treadmill, move over to the bench and realize the same pain from Monday is back, in the same spot.

It isn't exactly the glute, but a little further forward. I can't rotate my leg without it hurting, and walking is a little painful because of the sharp pain every time I take weight off the left leg.

EDIT: It probably isn't groin-related at all. Still hurts like a mother, though.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    did my military presses, squats, and bicep curls today, as per tube's workout for faggots mk1 and that's my first week of properly-structured lifting in the bag. I already feel much huger.

I've been taking protein powder and creatine after every workout but someone told me that creatine is overkill and I could be hurting my heart, so I'm laying off of that for now. What's the lowdown on creatine? Last I heard, wook was saying it was good shit.

Oh and I think my squats were pretty good even though I'm by myself and just starting out. I practiced form at home a bit and I think I got pretty close to what Rippetoe teaches in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you need to know what creatine does and does not do

creatine does not

cause you to gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks
    make you stronger
    cure cancer
    cause cancer

creatine does

change the osmotic balance in your muscles, causing them to carry more water. this creates the visual effect of a larger muscle, which will last only so long as you take the creatine
    boost the amount of creatine in your body by around 20% or so
    increase your strength endurance, allowing you to get that extra rep

creatine may

increase hypertrophic signals by distending the muscle via water retention

creatine acts by phosphorylating adenosine diphosphate to create adenosine triphosphate, which is the primary molecule involved in intracellular energy exchange. Without ATP nothing happens. The most dramatic example of this is rigor mortis. ATP is required for the myosin heads to unbind actin, allowing muscle contraction. In the brief period of time between the end of ATP production and the beginning of protein degradation, the muscles become fixed in place.

ATP is normally created through the metabolism of sugars via aerobic or anaerobic pathways. However, during periods of exercise, the demand for ATP may outstrip the supply. In situations where ATP is consumed faster than it's synthesized, the creatine system can supply additional ATP for a brief period of time (a matter of seconds). This may be the difference between 8 and 10 reps on any given set.

The short short answer is that creatine is one of the most researched supplements around, and the science says it works. It's also relatively cheap as far as supplements go. However, it won't be of any use unless you're already pushing yourself to failure (or damn close) regularly. If you're doing 4x10 with a weight with which you could probably get 4x15, creatine ain't gonna do you much good.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I was doing squats on Monday, with nothing terribly heavy -- 30 in weights + a 45 (?) lb. bar would've made it 75 lbs. I was lifting. Did about 6 sets of 5, going as deep into the squat as I felt I could, which was probably deeper than parallel.

I walked away from the rack with a sharp pain in my left leg, right in my glute, every time I took weight off of it. I chalked it up to soreness and finished up, though I didn't do anymore leg stuff. The day after, I had to walk with a slight limp in the same leg, but nothing out of the ordinary. Week went on, the soreness left.

I get on the treadmill for a warmup jog for 5 min @ 8.5mph tonight, though, and I feel like I'm really struggling. Normally it really isn't an issue to keep up the pace, but it was a little tougher it seemed. I get off the treadmill, move over to the bench and realize the same pain from Monday is back, in the same spot.

It isn't exactly the glute, but a little further forward. I can't rotate my leg without it hurting, and walking is a little painful because of the sharp pain every time I take weight off the left leg.

EDIT: It probably isn't groin-related at all. Still hurts like a mother, though.

forward outside? maybe one of the smaller glute heads.

probably not your groin, if only because in my experience a groin injury requires no interpretation whatsoever to realize it's a groin injury.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wook, thank you. I never knew what creatine was.

I like having Bigman Scientists around.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »

forward outside? maybe one of the smaller glute heads.

probably not your groin, if only because in my experience a groin injury requires no interpretation whatsoever to realize it's a groin injury.

Can you work on releasing it with a foam roller? Or is it too sore to even try it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Huh I didn't know creatine directly phosphorylated ADP. I thought it supported or supplemented the electron transport chain something something my grasp of the krebs cycle is a little weak.

Mojo the Avenger on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Wook, thank you. I never knew what creatine was.

I like having Bigman Scientists around.

I imagine Wook in a white lab coat with black frame glasses as he writes that post then instantly after hitting "submit" we pull back to see the coat arms are cut away and he goes into a furious set of cleans.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    uh guys, the wook is just messing with you

pretty sure none of those are real words

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All I knew about creatine is that you could only take so much daily. Although the body creates creatine constantly, it doesn't create enough to fill "the bucket" if you will. Supplementing creatine aims at filling that bucket and it's something like 3 to 4 grams supplemented daily that gives you a nice 90-100% of maximum creatine in your body.

BUT you can only fill the bucket so much daily, so at the start you might want to ramp up the protein and then later tune it down a little bit.

hectorse on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fallout wrote: »
    did my military presses, squats, and bicep curls today, as per tube's workout for faggots mk1 and that's my first week of properly-structured lifting in the bag. I already feel much huger.

I've been taking protein powder and creatine after every workout but someone told me that creatine is overkill and I could be hurting my heart, so I'm laying off of that for now. What's the lowdown on creatine? Last I heard, wook was saying it was good shit.

Oh and I think my squats were pretty good even though I'm by myself and just starting out. I practiced form at home a bit and I think I got pretty close to what Rippetoe teaches in this video:

As Wook said, creatine helps with some stuff, but it won't make as big a difference as other more important stuff will, like protein and fish oil. If you are worried about your squat form, you could try finding somebody else in your gym who squats correctly and ask if they'll take a look at your form and see if you are doing anything obviously wrong. If you can video yourself, post that shit up in here.

big l on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And remember, the "loading" phase that some people instruct for creatine is a load of horse shit. There is no need to load for a few weeks, then go to a normal schedule. Also, it really doesn't matter when you take your creatine, just as long as the cells are saturated at the time of working out. So just taking it on the days you workout is pointless. If you're taking creatine, take 5g every single day. That way, your cells are good and filled with it.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And remember, the "loading" phase that some people instruct for creatine is a load of horse shit. There is no need to load for a few weeks, then go to a normal schedule. Also, it really doesn't matter when you take your creatine, just as long as the cells are saturated at the time of working out. So just taking it on the days you workout is pointless. If you're taking creatine, take 5g every single day. That way, your cells are good and filled with it.

that's important too. there's some evidence that suggests that loading is even counterproductive; the super-high concentrations convince your body to start flushing it.

the wook on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, fuck it, after three weeks of excesses I'm now officially back on the wagon. 2010 is going to be the year of the bigman.

1 rep goals for this year (at a bodyweight of <90kg, which itself is a goal):

Bench press - 125kg
    Squat - 180kg
    Deadlift - 220kg
    Press - 90kg
    Power clean - 105kg

Going to start myself off by picking up another big bag of protein.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Flipping between football and World's Strongest Man, my BigMan quota for the day is decidedly being met.

big l on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gym on Saturday afternoons is so nice. Hardly anyone there so I got right onto the bench and squat rack

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Flipping between football and World's Strongest Man, my BigMan quota for the day is decidedly being met.

I already found out who won WSM this year... All I will say is that I am very happy that this particular person won.

Any of you kids go to the arnold classic in columbus? Me and my friends trek up there every year. Def worth the 10 bucks to get in. You get a bunch of free supplements, and get to stare at fake boobs.

I talked to Derek Poundstone last year before he did some events. Real cool guy. Mark Henry, Travis Ortymeyer, Phil Pfister, and Brian Shaw were just standing around bullshitting the whole time.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, a super-awesome friend of mine gave me a squat rack. This is cool. THe thing's pretty sturdy. I don't know that I'd want to put 200kg on it, but then, I'm a long way from squatting 200kg.

So while it's awesome that I got a free rack, I now need to buy a bar... And plates... And probably a bench would be handy as well.

I found this wicked awesome thread talking about getting Crossfit-required equipment in this wide brown land of Aus: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40859.

For my purposes, the Standard Duty Olympic Barbell on this page looks like it would do the job. Maxim appears to be a commercial supplier with an address in Adelaide, and from the discussion in that discussion thread it looks like they'll sell to individuals. A post from a while ago put that bar at $270.

I think I'll probably look at getting some rubber coated 20kg and 10kg plates, and then just metal 5s and 2.5s. Is there any reason not to put smaller metal plates on next to bigger rubber-coated plates? Because all the gyms I've been in have either one or the other, but I'm assuming that's just for the sake of buying a 'set'. If it's cheaper just to get my big plates in rubber-coated, but my smaller plates plain-old-metal, is there any reason I shouldn't?

I think I'm looking at around $600 for a bar and plates to start me off. A bench can wait. I still have a gym membership for another five months or so.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    big l wrote: »

I already found out who won WSM this year... All I will say is that I am very happy that this particular person won.

Any of you kids go to the arnold classic in columbus? Me and my friends trek up there every year. Def worth the 10 bucks to get in. You get a bunch of free supplements, and get to stare at fake boobs.

I talked to Derek Poundstone last year before he did some events. Real cool guy. Mark Henry, Travis Ortymeyer, Phil Pfister, and Brian Shaw were just standing around bullshitting the whole time.
    Zydrunas Savickas?

big l on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So that pain I was bitching about? Totally gone today.

I dunno if it'll come back when I go back to the gym tomorrow evening, though. Hopefully not; I actually have health insurance now (yippee!) so getting it checked out if it turns out to be serious isn't a huge deal, but I'd obviously rather not have seriously injured my ass or something.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Big l
    Yes. He is the most decorated strongman ever. He's pretty much mastered every other strongman contest except for WSM.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had the most terrible workout EVER

EVER

hectorse on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got 2kg of pork chops for $10. That's the REGULAR PRICE. Real, fresh-from-the-butcher chops. Yum!

I should say, that's in Canada.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Christ.

Doing heavy squats, front squats and straight leg DLs all in the same session is not a good idea. Though in some ways it'll be nice to get the DOMS out of the way for every damn muscle group in my legs.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...by hitting the same muscle groups in three slightly different ways?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Christ.

Doing heavy squats, front squats and straight leg DLs all in the same session is not a good idea. Though in some ways it'll be nice to get the DOMS out of the way for every damn muscle group in my legs.

Enlighten us?

hectorse on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't go back to work for another whole week and I've got nothing to do.

Thinking of recreating the cabury eyebrows ad but with jiggling pecs. I think that would be a noble bigman endeavour

TheRealBadger on
This discussion has been closed.