As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrapping round gifts

The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Because I'm an idiot who can barely tie her shoes, I have issues with gift wrapping. I can manage boxy things, but I have a couple of round things (coffee mug, bucket'o'candy etc) that require attention, and google is telling me to "put them in a bag". Thanks google, but no.

Does anyone have any tips?

tmsig.jpg
The Cat on

• Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you really don't want to gift bag them there's two options:

1. Using several layers of colored plastic cellophane that are large enough for the item, put the mug (or other item) in the middle, fold the sides up and crinkle together at the top. Tie with a ribbon just above the item, the excess wrapping forms a nice bouquet above the ribbon. If you use that plastic thin ribbon you can curl it by running the inside edge of a pair of scissors along it quickly.

2. If you really want to use paper, the best plan is to wrap round items on their side, then fold in the wrapping one piece at a time, creating pleats that gradually cover the bottom/top round edges of the piece.

There's nothing wrong with a gift bag and lots of nice tissue paper stuffing though.

onceling on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Put the items in a box?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Put the items in a box?

Pretty much this. Pack it in with whatever you feel is necessary to keep it from shifting around if it's fragile.

If you don't have a box the proper size, just ask at the local grocery store - they've probably got few they can spare.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Put the items in a box?

Pretty much this. Pack it in with whatever you feel is necessary to keep it from shifting around if it's fragile.

If you don't have a box the proper size, just ask at the local grocery store - they've probably got few they can spare.

Grocery stores are great places to get boxes, this is where I go whenever I move. Free, and they're clean.

You might want to look into stopping at a gift store or Hallmark and getting some sort of gift box, though. Pulling off the paper and seeing a nice pastel color would probably be better than pulling off the paper and seeing a brown box with CHUNK LIGHT TUNA 4oz 48CNT DO NOT STACK or something like that written on it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wrap/roll paper around said cilinder, make some vertical cuts in the bits that stick out (say turning it into 5 equal pieces), wrap pieces over top of cilinder (or bottom). Put 1 piece of stickytape over final bit. tadaa.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Odd-shaped Christmas crackers all the way.

Or onecling's second option.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wrap/roll paper around said cilinder, make some vertical cuts in the bits that stick out (say turning it into 5 equal pieces), wrap pieces over top of cilinder (or bottom). Put 1 piece of stickytape over final bit. tadaa.
    I googled for "wrapping a cylinder"

http://www.pressies4princesses.co.uk/content/how-to-wrap-gifts/gift-wrap-cylinder-tube.shtml (normal)

http://www.ehow.com/video_2369123_gift-wrap-tube-cylinder.html (to make it look like a fire cracker)

Aldo on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    your google-fu is superior!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I always go for the "candy" approach -- take extra paper, wrap it around, and bunch up the sides, leaving frilly ends.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I always go for the "candy" approach -- take extra paper, wrap it around, and bunch up the sides, leaving frilly ends.

This is ok, as long as you fold the frilly ends over so they show the wrapping paper on the inside and outside and not just the white.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    that approach doesn't work well with paper, but is neat with tissue paper. then you can do multiple layers of colors and fluff out the ends all pretty, and curl the ribbon so there are masses of curly ribbon.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys and your 'standards.'

Alternatively, use all-white paper.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    zapogeezapogee Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Just roll it up in funny papers and tape whatever sticks too far out!

zapogee on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do that fan-fold thing in Aldo's first link, but just stick a stick-on bow to the top.

Backstop on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »

If I can't get/find a box, I just do this.

skettios on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I googled for "wrapping a cylinder"

http://www.pressies4princesses.co.uk/content/how-to-wrap-gifts/gift-wrap-cylinder-tube.shtml (normal)

http://www.ehow.com/video_2369123_gift-wrap-tube-cylinder.html (to make it look like a fire cracker)

For something cylindrical meant to sit on the side, I'll use the first technique. For something like a mug, I'd use a flat folded bottom, but something closer to the second link for the top, but bend the ends of the "fire cracker" side down into the middle to keep the back side of the paper from showing. The floppy top and ribbon will also distract from the handle of the mug.

Oddly enough, I'm wrapping a mug tonight too and won't take the easy way out with a box.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just wrap lots of paper round them and apply lots of tape. Ends up looking scruffy, but who cares? My family's presents always look like the cat wrapped them with mittens on.

CelestialBadger on
This discussion has been closed.