Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

16566687071100

Posts

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    so I just finished Y: The Last Man

    huh.

    p.s. sorry Damascus. I can't join you as Santa this year. The avatar I used looks fugly on the new forums.

    that sure was an awesome moment, reading about you finishing a book

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    so I just finished Y: The Last Man

    huh.

    p.s. sorry Damascus. I can't join you as Santa this year. The avatar I used looks fugly on the new forums.

    that sure was an awesome moment, reading about you finishing a book

    i thought it was pretty awesome overall and figured some other folks may have a bit of input in the comic forum. since it would seem that there isn't a general comics thread and making an entire thread for a relatively old comic book would most likely end up with my thread quickly reported for Awesome as a result of the amazing initiative and gusto that would be on display; so my last post appeared to be a reasonable alternative. i've got to say though

    that sure was an awesome moment, realizing the stringent posting criteria this thread has with snark and sarcasm for literary aid.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
    you are right that there isn't a particularly good thread for it up, but this is definitely more of a thread for particular pages and panels. maybe if you posted one of your favorite moments along with expressing your delight? not trying to condescend, honest. i loved the series too.

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    p.s. sorry Damascus. I can't join you as Santa this year. The avatar I used looks fugly on the new forums.

    get a new one then! :x

  • TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    People willing to kill over Christmas toys, ripped straight from the headlines!

    supermanadventures520punchjewelee.jpg

    (That was Immonen's first Superman issue)

    toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love Superman so much

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    That is one mighty Super-Mullet he's rocking there.

  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    The day they stopped using the mullet was the day I died inside. (actually that's not true at all since I'm pretty sure I was like 8, but whatevs)

    Also noticed the snow completely obscures superman's face in my avatar.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    Get a Super-Santa avatar!

    this one would work:

    SantaSuperman248.jpeg

  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Well it's a little too late now. Wish I had found that earlier!!!

    steam_sig-400.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2011
    I never got the whole thing about Christmass being about giving. The gifts are supposed to be from a magic third party, only given to those who are nice (thereby shifting focus to the recipient), and are also given on events where people would laugh in your face if you said it is about giving (who wants to insist that birthdays are about the spirit of giving?).

    Bagginses on
  • TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    Santa said it best, giving is its own reward:

    jla60neronsocks.jpg

    Is he still a member of the JLA in the DCnU?

    toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I never got the whole thing about Christmass being about giving. The gifts are supposed to be from a magic third party, only given to those who are nice (thereby shifting focus to the recipient), and are also given on events where people would laugh in your face if you said it is about giving (who wants to insist that birthdays are about the spirit of giving?).

    Just because there are other circumstances where you would give someone a gift doesn't mitigate the reason why you give gifts on Christmas specifically. Sure, you give people gifts on their birthday to celebrate the day they were born, but on Christmas you give gifts and receive gifts simply for the joy of it. Santa was invented for children, in the tradition of many other old folktales used to threaten or bribe children into obedience. He's just the only one tied to a specific holiday, unlike the other gremlins and trolls and witches who would snatch children away from their beds in the night if they were naughty.

  • ServoServo Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bagginses wrote:
    I never got the whole thing about Christmass being about giving. The gifts are supposed to be from a magic third party, only given to those who are nice (thereby shifting focus to the recipient), and are also given on events where people would laugh in your face if you said it is about giving (who wants to insist that birthdays are about the spirit of giving?).

    Just because there are other circumstances where you would give someone a gift doesn't mitigate the reason why you give gifts on Christmas specifically. Sure, you give people gifts on their birthday to celebrate the day they were born, but on Christmas you give gifts and receive gifts simply for the joy of it. Santa was invented for children, in the tradition of many other old folktales used to threaten or bribe children into obedience. He's just the only one tied to a specific holiday, unlike the other gremlins and trolls and witches who would snatch children away from their beds in the night if they were naughty.

    Yeah, I mean...the whole Santa Claus tip falls apart after age eight. Ever since then, I give people gifts at Christmas because I love them and I like selecting things I think they'll like but maybe wouldn't find or think of for themselves. Obviously I can't just do that all year 'round and generally people stop getting and giving birthday presents after a certain age, so it's kind of the only time of the year to say hey, I appreciate you and got you this. The season of giving!

    newsigs.jpg
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I never got the whole thing about Christmass being about giving. The gifts are supposed to be from a magic third party, only given to those who are nice (thereby shifting focus to the recipient), and are also given on events where people would laugh in your face if you said it is about giving (who wants to insist that birthdays are about the spirit of giving?).

    Just because there are other circumstances where you would give someone a gift doesn't mitigate the reason why you give gifts on Christmas specifically. Sure, you give people gifts on their birthday to celebrate the day they were born, but on Christmas you give gifts and receive gifts simply for the joy of it. Santa was invented for children, in the tradition of many other old folktales used to threaten or bribe children into obedience. He's just the only one tied to a specific holiday, unlike the other gremlins and trolls and witches who would snatch children away from their beds in the night if they were naughty.

    It's not like Santa was made up to justify gift giving or something. In fact, the gift giving grew from the tradition of a Santa figure giving out fruits and nuts during the holiday. Eventually, it switched to gifts, and then the giving continued into ages where believing in Saint Nicholas is absurd. If it were really about giving, there wouldn't be some fictional figure making the holiday mythology into one of universal receiving and the kids would also be expected to give gifts. Arguably, both Chanukah and Kwanzaa are more about giving because participants actually give things, openly even.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    You hipsters and your Santa Claus's, does no one beat up logs til they poop candy anymore?

  • ServoServo Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bagginses wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    I never got the whole thing about Christmass being about giving. The gifts are supposed to be from a magic third party, only given to those who are nice (thereby shifting focus to the recipient), and are also given on events where people would laugh in your face if you said it is about giving (who wants to insist that birthdays are about the spirit of giving?).

    Just because there are other circumstances where you would give someone a gift doesn't mitigate the reason why you give gifts on Christmas specifically. Sure, you give people gifts on their birthday to celebrate the day they were born, but on Christmas you give gifts and receive gifts simply for the joy of it. Santa was invented for children, in the tradition of many other old folktales used to threaten or bribe children into obedience. He's just the only one tied to a specific holiday, unlike the other gremlins and trolls and witches who would snatch children away from their beds in the night if they were naughty.

    It's not like Santa was made up to justify gift giving or something. In fact, the gift giving grew from the tradition of a Santa figure giving out fruits and nuts during the holiday. Eventually, it switched to gifts, and then the giving continued into ages where believing in Saint Nicholas is absurd. If it were really about giving, there wouldn't be some fictional figure making the holiday mythology into one of universal receiving and the kids would also be expected to give gifts. Arguably, both Chanukah and Kwanzaa are more about giving because participants actually give things, openly even.

    I guess your holiday traditions are different from my family's, then. Kids get gifts for people, and we openly give each other presents. It's not like it's some big secret. I say "here sis, here's what I got you!" she opens it and says "wow, thanks! here's what I got you!", I open it and say "wow, thanks!"

    I mean, I'm not sure what your argument is, I guess. You don't want to give people gifts at Christmas because you don't feel like Santa is a legitimate mascot for the spirit of generosity? Ok, go nuts. Nobody's making you give anyone anything.

    newsigs.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    Bagginses, I don't know where you get your information, but that's a kind of a lot of hooey you're trying to sell there. The custom of gift giving around the winter solstice stretches back to the Roman festival of Saturnalia. The idea that Santa Claus was the source of all Christmas presents was invented in the 19th century. In Medieval times, people gave gifts to each other openly in honor of Saint Nicholas.

  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Bagginses, I don't know where you get your information, but that's a kind of a lot of hooey you're trying to sell there. The custom of gift giving around the winter solstice stretches back to the Roman festival of Saturnalia. The idea that Santa Claus was the source of all Christmas presents was invented in the 19th century. In Medieval times, people gave gifts to each other openly in honor of Saint Nicholas.

    I was under the impression that it derived from the tradition of Saint Nicholas walking through town/church giving out sweets. "Santa" is a pseudonym.

    Maybe I just don't understand your culture's traditions.

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    Santa isn't a pseudonym, it's a corruption of Sinterklaas, which is Dutch for Saint Nicholas. Many American Christmas traditions come from the Netherlands.

    Here, watch this:

  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Santa isn't a pseudonym, it's a corruption of Sinterklaas, which is Dutch for Saint Nicholas. Many American Christmas traditions come from the Netherlands.

    Here, watch this:


    yes, but that takes longer to type.

  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I just think goodwill towards men should be a yearlong affair.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    herojoe wrote:
    I just think goodwill towards men should be a yearlong affair.

    I know it's comics forum, but this so hard! , as well as this...



    Pay it forward, every day, even when it doesn't come back around, you will feel better anyway!

    WiseManTobes on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote:
    I just think goodwill towards men should be a yearlong affair.

    Yes, but I love that there is a holiday that exists to celebrate goodwill towards men and to remind us that the world can be a better place when we are generous with one another. It's hard to maintain that year-round, sometimes you need that warm hug in the cold dark months.

  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    herojoe wrote:
    I just think goodwill towards men should be a yearlong affair.

    Yes, but I love that there is a holiday that exists to celebrate goodwill towards men and to remind us that the world can be a better place when we are generous with one another. It's hard to maintain that year-round, sometimes you need that warm hug in the cold dark months.

    Is there? It seems like that meaning was tacked on because Christians didn't want to admit that their religion's holiday was a secular event that we should all bow to. There's nothing implicit about the holiday or its mythology that really has anything to do with goodwill or generosity.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Christmas is pretty much a secular event in our culture today, but its roots certainly aren't secular, whether you only want to consider it as a Christian religious holiday or go back to the old pagan holidays it superceded. From a Christian perspective, the giving of gifts and goodwill towards others is in the spirit of God sending Christ to earth as the ultimate "gift" to mankind, since Christmas is officially a commemoration of the birth of Jesus (albeit celebrated when it is in order to undercut and and eclipse earlier pagan festivals at the same time of year, since nobody pretended to be certain what time of year Jesus was actually born anyway). There's also the aspect of the gifts brought to Jesus by the "three wise men"/"three kings." Of course, some of those earlier pagan celebrations probably included a tradition of gift-giving as well, and of course over time as Christmas has become so commercially important and the religious aspects have been de-emphasized the main significance of the holiday in popular culture is just one of generosity and good feeling towards one's fellow men, which is something pretty much everybody can get behind regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

    But, Jesus Christ/by Jove/jiminy Christmas, this is getting way off topic. :P

    Gaslight on
    1Slimus.jpg
  • KeiosKeios Registered User
    edited December 2011
    I apologise if others have said this before me, but Nextwave may very well be the single finest comic ever created. If you disagree, then to quote Warren Ellis
    I will fight anyone who says otherwise. And afterwards, they will explode.


    Nextwave01page11.jpg

    Keios on
    steam_sig.png
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    But I like Stuart Immonen's art keith

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fing Fang Foom put you in his Pants! is my sig on another forum atm! I love Nextwave! ( Have you heard the horribly awesome theme song yet Keios?)

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    Nextwave was funny when I read it

    it is not funny anymore

  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    But I like Stuart Immonen's art keith

    The art's amazing, no doubt

  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I still think Nextwave's great, but I haven't read it in a while.

    If nothing else, that's a book that single-handedly revived interest in B-listers like Machine Man, Elsa Bloodstone, Monica Rambeau, Boom Boom, and Fin Fang Foom.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love Nextwave. I can see why people wouldn't, but I love it.

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    Ellis can be kind of off-putting, with most of his characters being jerks and his attitude some times, but the art in Nextwave is amazing, especially the one issue with the alternate realities. Immonen does his Nextwave style, Moebius, Mignola, Clowes and Pope all in one monthly comic.

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • HullisHullis Prepare yourself! Johnny Cage is not afraid to die!Registered User regular
    Look, nextwave has devil dinosaur, so it's not all bad

    mhdbgi.png
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    I still think Nextwave's great, but I haven't read it in a while.

    If nothing else, that's a book that single-handedly revived interest in B-listers like Machine Man, Elsa Bloodstone, Monica Rambeau, Boom Boom, and Fin Fang Foom.

    I'd say they're more like D-Listers.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus I didn't want to wake you up but I really want to show you somethingRegistered User regular
    I wish Fin Fang Foom was a B-lister

  • SmileyTopsSmileyTops Registered User
    FIN FANG FOOM will always be an A-lister in my heart.
    Spoiler:

This discussion has been closed.