As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

• Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War.

Don't get me wrong, it's a well put together game, but after one playthrough with my friend it was kind of like "Well, uh, that was neat. I waited years and payed 60 bucks for this?"

I'll echo the Smash Bros feeling here as well. It's like candy for me. The first couple ones are great, but having more just makes you ill. Heck, even thinking about having more candy makes you sick.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No matter how many times I try the Dead Rising demo I just hate it. It just seems so boring and the controls are terrible.

The big thing about Dead Rising is all the sheer weapons. Realize that there are over two hundred things you can beat, slice, or shoot the undead to redeath with, up to and including your goddamn SPIT. That's what makes it so awesome.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Video games, I mean come on it's pressing a bunch of buttons basically right?

JellyMeetsJam on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War was kind of dull...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I really don't get what other people see in Gears.

I mean, I beat hardcore and insane co-op and put a lot of time into mp, but that's just because I have easily entertained friends and I didn't have anything better to do.

I just doesn't grab me at all. Seems like a chore.

It was a chore.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Morrowind. I just found it incredibly boring. The combat was nothing more than click till it dies, and the main story seemed more like a long side-quest than anything else.

Mind you I'm more of a JRPG fan, so maybe its just the whole Western RPG genre I don't like.

Sousuke on
    PSN: Volteage
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First person shooters, especially WW2 based. I don't get how you can fight the same fucking war over 20 different games and make it cool. They did it with Vietnam a while ago, and then with Desert Storm, and now they're doing it to the WW1 and WW2 era.

Even the names are too damned similar...

Band of Call of Medal of Men of Faces of Brothers of Duty of Honor of Valor of War 1942, anyone?

A WW1 shooter would be pretty damn cool. Biding your time holed up in a trench, waiting to cross no man's land and take out the enemy, hoping that they don't deploy the mustard gas. But yeah, WW2 is getting pretty old.

While I agree it gets old for repetition, WWII is the only war with a setting that lends itself well to a FPS game. Modern warfare works much better as an RTS because it's all about logistics and long-range strikes and intel. WWI was a bunch of stalemates in trenches, with little or no discernable advancement often for weeks at a time. Anything before that was guys lining up in rows and shooting at one another.

Plus, if you go back into the 19th century guns have shit for accuracy, so it's no longer about skill and instead about luck. There's a reason most video game combat settings are either pre-gunpowder or post-WWI, it works better as a game.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to think I was the only person I knew who hated really open ended games. I love a game that is level after level or mission after mission or area after area.

I hate having to think ok I'm gonna kill this guy while here and he drops this thing for this quest and on my way I need to stop and get some of these at this town and take care of that guy there as well and then head back to this town to complete the initial quest which will then spring up another quest which goes in this general direction where I get this thing and can train this skill and blah blah blah. Meanwhile there are a million other things you could be partaking in that distract you from this already large amount of things on your plate.

I also hated katamari damacy, I was bored to tears the entire time until I just gave up and sold the game back to EB at some point. I don't know if I was supposed to like nintendogs but I despised that as well.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Gear Girl wrote:
    I used to think I was the only person I knew who hated really open ended games. I love a game that is level after level or mission after mission or area after area.

I hate having to think ok I'm gonna kill this guy while here and he drops this thing for this quest and on my way I need to stop and get some of these at this town and take care of that guy there as well and then head back to this town to complete the initial quest which will then spring up another quest which goes in this general direction where I get this thing and can train this skill and blah blah blah. Meanwhile there are a million other things you could be partaking in that distract you from this already large amount of things on your plate.

I also hated katamari damacy, I was bored to tears the entire time until I just gave up and sold the game back to EB at some point. I don't know if I was supposed to like nintendogs but I despised that as well.

here's what I just don't get...

The fuck is with your name?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love Disgaea, I've pumped tons of hours into it.

But the story isn't compelling, and the battle system basically comes down to who has a higher attack value. It is just a huge grindfest.

But I keep playing it.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God of War.

I can't buttonmash fast enough to beat the first boss.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just bought ToeJam & Earl for the Virtual Console and.. eh..

I played co-op with my friend. We just walked around and got shitty power ups and kept dying. It was really slow, tedious and boring.

I want to love this game, reviewers for the VC line-up loved it. But I just can't get into it.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have the ability to acknowledge why someone would like a game even if I don't like it, meaning "I just get everything" which makes this thread about the only thing I don't get.

I mean c'mon, people arguing the plot of Metroid Prime? Who gives a shit, super metroid wasn't about plot either. It's always been a series about upgrades and evolving combat based on your upgrades. Learning how to adapt to new enemies using new skills. And that is why it's gameplay has always been refreshing when compared to many others that never introduce anything new throughout the course of the game.

And while WW2 shooters may be a dime a dozen, I believe there is still PLENTY of room for a really good one. And there will be more, lots more, because they haven't perfected it yet. There will be a day when they can really recreate an entire experience of surviving a massive battle, until that day cod's dose of scripted fake orgasms works pretty good.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I still say Metroid Prime is the equivalant of putting someone with a rifle in a zoo labyrinth full of dumb animals and telling them to read random things and shoot the animals. I just don't get it.

I also don't get all the love for God of War. It's just random button mashing and then "O" or whatever button the game decides will be the flashy kick ass button.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FE: For me it's just so self contained and un-random. What's the fun of a game if I don't have any options? I beat the first English GBA game and got to the last level on the second, and I also beat POR, but I feel no need to ever play them again. Also, I find it annoying that you can't make your own characters or at least make characters different classes. I find myself picking characters that I like over characters that would probably be more useful. I find myself bringing 8 characters into a fight and only using 3 because they're close to leveling or are the lowest level or are just plain better than the others. What's the point of a game where you half to spend half of your time forming simple strategies to defeat your enemies and the other half forming strategies for leveling characters up? Make all of the characters useful or leave them out, and make the fights large enough and hard enough that I don't feel like I'm dragging 6 weights around most of the time, then I'll try again.

GTA3 and up. I liked GTA, if only for the multi-player, but GTA3 seems to want to do everything and fails at them all. The combat is weak and repetitive, the driving is clunky. The side-missions are generally variations on one or both of those two aspects and are thus boring me to tears.

FPS that aren't Quake. Yes, I'm kind of a prick about this, but why? Each and every one is slow and shallow compared to Quake, and though sometimes fun for a little bit, they just don't do anything.

MMOs. Well, I DO get it. I just don't like it.

Re: Guild Wars. I also love the concept and like the game-play, but I find that in the end all there is IS the game-play, and that may be it's major failing. If you don't want to fight the same things all of the time then you're kinda SOL. That being said, I'd still like that if I could actually play the game anymore. I thought it would be simple and accessible for someone who doesn't get to play it all of the time, but instead I'm playing catch-up with the latest build-of-week and if my current character doesn't fit the mold then I don't even get to play.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't mind Prime's plot, but the combat that consisted of "Hold L and tap A" turned me off. Hopefully the Wiimote will make the third one playable for me, I love the 2D originals and was really disappointed to find Prime unplayable.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Page- wrote:
    FPS that aren't Quake. Yes, I'm kind of a prick about this, but why? Each and every one is slow and shallow compared to Quake, and though sometimes fun for a little bit, they just don't do anything.

while I don't agree with this completely (I have enjoyed my fair number of shooters), but when it comes to DM yes by all means yes. Movement, weapons, everything is just unparalleled for me.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lumines Live.
    I had heard so much about this one, so when it appeared on XBLA, I tried the demo and it turned out to be a Tetris games with bells on. I played it for a while, hoping that the real game would magically appear, but it never did. I don't see what the big deal is.

Mario 64.
    I see the qualities of this game and appreciate the work that has gone into the design, but it never clicked with me. It felt vacant and lifeless. It's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't work for me. I felt the same about Super Mario Sunshine and Windwaker. I just longed for Super Mario World 1 and 2 the whole time. It's not like I hate 3D or Nintendo either.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:

while I don't agree with this completely (I have enjoyed my fair number of shooters), but when it comes to DM yes by all means yes. Movement, weapons, everything is just unparalleled for me.

Let me qualify that a bit. Competitive FPS' that aren't Quake. I understand a WW shooter or Rainbow Six, but no other FPS has the depth of Quake, so what's the point? And don't even get me started on console FPS. ZZZ.

Which brings up another point for me. I love Rainbow Six, and I love Rogue Spear. They're probably the only FPS I really like besides Quake. But what the hell is with the consistent dumbing-down of the series? I heard Vegas even has rebounding health like Halo. What. The. Fuck? Go realism or go home, please.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know I will be in an overwhelming minority, and I hate to be the first one to post this, but I have to say Counter-Strike. Now, before you start scratching your head, I get it. I LOVE shooters, and I'd like to think that I'm pretty competent at playing them. My problem with CS is that when it first came out, I had a piss-poor internet connection, and since there was no option to play against bots at the time, it was pretty much lost on me. By the time I had a decent enough connection to play it, it just seemed like the whole world had surpassed me by light years in skill, and I didn't have the patience to learn to get better 2.5 seconds at a time (which was about the average time I would last before getting killed). I've contemplated trying to get back into it many times, especially with the advent of CS:Source, but I just can't bring myself to do it, and I can't really explain why.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Page- wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:

Let me qualify that a bit. Competitive FPS' that aren't Quake. I understand a WW shooter or Rainbow Six, but no other FPS has the depth of Quake, so what's the point? And don't even get me started on console FPS. ZZZ.

Which brings up another point for me. I love Rainbow Six, and I love Rogue Spear. They're probably the only FPS I really like besides Quake. But what the hell is with the consistent dumbing-down of the series? I heard Vegas even has rebounding health like Halo. What. The. Fuck? Go realism or go home, please.

there is an annoying trend in FPSs lately and that is the regenerating health and 2 weapons thing, both copied from halo.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:

there is an annoying trend in FPSs lately and that is the regenerating health and 2 weapons thing, both copied from halo.

you're joking about the two weapons thing right?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:

I think he means only carrying two weapons at a time, as opposed to dual-wielding.

Although while I can't think of a game that came before Halo that did this element, I know there were ones out there. I just can't think of one that I played long enough to reach the limit without cheat codes.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Roshin wrote:
    Lumines Live.
    I had heard so much about this one, so when it appeared on XBLA, I tried the demo and it turned out to be a Tetris games with bells on. I played it for a while, hoping that the real game would magically appear, but it never did. I don't see what the big deal is.

Mario 64.
    I see the qualities of this game and appreciate the work that has gone into the design, but it never clicked with me. It felt vacant and lifeless. It's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't work for me. I felt the same about Super Mario Sunshine and Windwaker. I just longed for Super Mario World 1 and 2 the whole time. It's not like I hate 3D or Nintendo either.

If memory serves, Lumines Live doesn't have the same boards as Lumines. Or am I wrong on that? Either way, a good chunk of what makes Lumines so addictive is the musical element, where the tunes subtly change based on your actions.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Suikoden V.

For real. What is the appeal? The game started out awesome (the beginning-getting your strategist), and then became good (up to getting your base), and then just got into a horrible slump and became completely and totally mediocre.

Add that to the completely average voice acting and horrendous load times and...what's the appeal?

I will concede that the duel system was completely bitching. But there were all of four duels in the game, so that can't be it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All of the 3D GTA games. The controls are just so bad, and the sandbox nature of the game is not enough for me to overlook this,

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    All of the 3D GTA games. The controls are just so bad, and the sandbox nature of the game is not enough for me to overlook this,

Controls are bad? o_O I mean, they're not perfect sure, but they work just fine. I've certainly used worse. Or are you playing on PC?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    Lumines Live.

Mario 64.

If memory serves, Lumines Live doesn't have the same boards as Lumines. Or am I wrong on that? Either way, a good chunk of what makes Lumines so addictive is the musical element, where the tunes subtly change based on your actions.
    I can definitively see not getting into Lumines, but what I found most fun about it was the chains: it's so satisfying to spend a long time setting up an explosion that clears half the total screen and gives you a "eliminate all of one color" bonus. I can also see portability adding a lot to it too, I was only ever interested in Gameboy/Cellphone versions of even the original Tetris.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ocarina of Time (I'm going to get flamed so hard). It isn't so much that I don't get it. It's an expansive world and comes with all the things people tend to like about that sort of thing, except that I didn't. I hated the world. I hated walking across that damn field. I hated the plot. I hated the combat. I hated the dungeons. I hated just about everything, except fishing, which they did quite well. I get why people like it so much, I guess it just isn't for me.

Grandia 3. I'll be the first to admit that the combat in that game was pretty awesome. But as someone who has little to no qualms with your standard jrpg stereotupes, I could not stand the characters in the game. Yuki I could tolerate, but Alfina needed to go rot in a damn cave. Wolf I probably could have liked with a better VA, but he didn't have one, so I don't like him. Tarot girl was boring and uninspired, faerie girl slightly less so. The only 2 charctaers I liked [spoiler:66be11bc6b]Miranda and satyr dude, both leave your party at about a quarter mark, leaving me with a party full of dipshits that I hated.[/spoiler:66be11bc6b]

I still can't believe I suffered through beating that stupid game. By the end of it I just wanted to reach through the t.v. and strangle Alfina so hard. Also, worst overworld map ever. Here, have a plane and fly around but you can only ever go to these 8 places and you don't get to go to them til we say so!.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    Lumines Live.

Mario 64.

I can definitively see not getting into Lumines, but what I found most fun about it was the chains: it's so satisfying to spend a long time setting up an explosion that clears half the total screen and gives you a "eliminate all of one color" bonus. I can also see portability adding a lot to it too, I was only ever interested in Gameboy/Cellphone versions of even the original Tetris.

You see, I have no talent in that sort of thing, and never have, so it's purely the musical element and the fun that makes me enjoy it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Colt wrote:
    Guild Wars. Like the idea, like the gameplay, like the fact that it is free, cant get into it. Something about it bugs me and just pushes me back.

I think Guild Wars is the biggest type of "I want to love it" game for me. I tried it and tried it again, and again, and again.. but I can't seem to like it at all. I even bought the expansion to see if I'd love it if I sunk more money into it. Nope.

I love the skill system. Love the free online play. Love the competitive nature of PvP and GvG. *HATE* the presentation and overall clunky feel of the game. I also despise the equipment/item system. Unnecessarily boring.

I want a GW skill system with a WoW polish. /drool

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    LambertLambert Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dragon Quest 8

Played it until the Doul Magus Fight in the middle (?) of the game. Then I realized, that I had to level up for a stupid amount of time against the always identical waves of enemies... and I did it.

Then I beat Doul Magus (barely). After the fight I realized "hey, I don't enjoy this game" and sold it over amazon. To this day I'm glad I did.

For me the game consists of:

- horrible, extremly boring grind
    - awful, awful menu system/ui (worse than normal jrpg)
    - incredible repetitive music (especially the battle theme drove me insane), I read somewhere that they orchestrated it for the western audience, I think thats the reason why this game has only, like, 10 tracks.

I can't believe why this franchise is so beloved, esp. in Japan, there you have "I Just Don't Get It".

Lambert on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    No matter how many times I try the Dead Rising demo I just hate it. It just seems so boring and the controls are terrible.

The big thing about Dead Rising is all the sheer weapons. Realize that there are over two hundred things you can beat, slice, or shoot the undead to redeath with, up to and including your goddamn SPIT. That's what makes it so awesome.

Yes, I know that there are several hundred ways of killing and humiliating your zombie enemies throughout the game and I know that that is fun. But I just didn't really have fun with the demo.

The most fun I had was throwing cash registers, bins and benches at groups of zombies. All the impromptu weapons which you could use made me get some enjoyment out of it.

Every time I hear something about Dead Rising I always think to myself, "Yeah, everyone loves that game. Maybe I should try it again", only to have myself be dissapointed by it each time I attempt to like it. What I don't like is that as soon as you start you've got to "help Brad" or something and yet there is no indication on where to go or how to help him. I would have liked to do a mission or something instead of just wandering around a shopping centre for 15 minutes bashing zombies with chairs and toy lightsabers.

After me saying all this I'm sure that you would think that the full game would be more my style since of course you do get to do missions and all that jazz. But I'm still on the fence about it.

Also, another thing that I instantly hated about it was the "mall music" that plays constantly. That might be the main thing that's putting me off the game. I'll try it again with my iPod pumping out some of my favourite tunes while I'm smashing zombies and see if that helps.

It looks like such a quality game and I really do want to like it. I hope that eventually it will just click and I'll enjoy it.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shit. So many good games I hate.

Shadow of the Collossus. Man I just found it repetitive and barren. The art style was perhaps the one thing I liked, but the rest of the 'game' just felt so, I dunno, samey.

Same with Killer7, I mean I digged the plot, and the gameplay was alright, but it didn't click at all with me.

Oh, and any and all Final Fantasy games ever made, excluding perhaps the 3 remake on the DS. Certainly all Playstation ones from 7 to whatever.

Just find them so bad. Too many fucking FMV movies all the fucking time. As far as I am concerned, the plot is ridiculous, combat jarring and boring, the levelling system retarded and everything about it, from the stupid minigames and sidequests to godawful voice or music (another thing which I hate from FF which everyone loves, we get it, its classical music. Big wow)

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:

Yes, I know that there are several hundred ways of killing and humiliating your zombie enemies throughout the game and I know that that is fun. But I just didn't really have fun with the demo.

The most fun I had was throwing cash registers, bins and benches at groups of zombies. All the impromptu weapons which you could use made me get some enjoyment out of it.

Every time I hear something about Dead Rising I always think to myself, "Yeah, everyone loves that game. Maybe I should try it again", only to have myself be dissapointed by it each time I attempt to like it. What I don't like is that as soon as you start you've got to "help Brad" or something and yet there is no indication on where to go or how to help him. I would have liked to do a mission or something instead of just wandering around a shopping centre for 15 minutes bashing zombies with chairs and toy lightsabers.

After me saying all this I'm sure that you would think that the full game would be more my style since of course you do get to do missions and all that jazz. But I'm still on the fence about it.

Also, another thing that I instantly hated about it was the "mall music" that plays constantly. That might be the main thing that's putting me off the game. I'll try it again with my iPod pumping out some of my favourite tunes while I'm smashing zombies and see if that helps.

It looks like such a quality game and I really do want to like it. I hope that eventually it will just click and I'll enjoy it.

Demo only?

Yeah, there's an arrow to tell you which direction to go, but you can't help him in the demo. The instant you try to leave that area of the mall, you get one of...Four cutscenes, I think. It's four, right? One outside to that middle area, one to the area with the clothing, one for the movie theater and one for the door to the warehouse, yes?

yalborap on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Page- wrote:

I think he means only carrying two weapons at a time, as opposed to dual-wielding.

Although while I can't think of a game that came before Halo that did this element, I know there were ones out there. I just can't think of one that I played long enough to reach the limit without cheat codes.
    Oni had the two-weapons thing, and it worked fairly well.
    On the other hand, it wasn't a pure shooter.

Anyway...
    I must admit I'm jumping on the Halo bandwaggon. Did nothing I hadn't seen before except regenerating health and co-op.

God of War, however, is the biggie.
    As a DMC fan, I found the combat dull and shallow, and all the setpieces couldn't make up for it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hunting games. What the hell am I supposed to do? Shoot a deer? Is the deer going to shoot me? No? OKay, well, is it going to take over the world? No? Alright, is killing this virtual deer going to help anyone in any way? No? Is it even going to be fun? NO!? Well fine, I'm not playing anymore.

Nascar games. There's not enough variation in the tracks to keep my interest, and it seems to me that if you don't follow the series and follow all the racers, this game isn't going to mean a damn thing to you.

WoW. I refuse to become an addict, so I tell myself that it simply isn't a game made for me. But I also don't get games where I have to pay every month for a subscription. I bought the damn game. It's installed on my computer. It takes up MY harddisk space, I use MY RAM to run it, and when I play it I'm looking at a monitor that I bought. Why should I give you any more money that you don't deserve?

Dirge of Cerberus. Okay, that game just flat-out sucked.

Guitar Hero. Y'know, in the time it took me to get five stars on all these levels, I could have learned these goddamned songs on a REAL FUCKING GUITAR. Never mind that this game appears to be DDR with my hands.
    To be fair, GH2 managed to keep me entranced for a few days.

"Casino" games. I can download "free poker" any goddamned time I want. Why would I shell out $30 for a PS2 game with loading screens for blackjack?

zubisman on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After spending about half of my life in some pretty hardcore urban environments, I can say fuck all the GTA games. There is no way I'll ever come home from work and want to unwind with an over the top simulation of the assholes that hang out on the corner. Even now that I'm out of the city I can't take it. I was at a friends house the other day and he popped in one of the GTA games. I could only take about five minutes of it before I went in the other room to watch some kind of vapid home videos show with his wife. And yeah, I understand that they are good games, it's just when you actually live with carjackings, cops, prostitution, gunfights and crackheads knocking on your door to scam/panhandle you, these things don't translate easily into an entertainment experience.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo and Halo 2: I re-purchased Halo 2 for super cheap when I got my 360 so I could play it on Xbox Live. It... sucks... ass. Honestly, how the fuck were people addicted to that?

Lost Planet: The demo sucked. However, I may rent it sometime.

All racing games: Cars don't interest me in the slightest. When I see all these people go insane over games like Gran Turismo, I just cannot share the excitement.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drake wrote:
    After spending about half of my life in some pretty hardcore urban environments, I can say fuck all the GTA games. There is no way I'll ever come home from work and want to unwind with an over the top simulation of the assholes that hang out on the corner. Even now that I'm out of the city I can't take it. I was at a friends house the other day and he popped in one of the GTA games. I could only take about five minutes of it before I went in the other room to watch some kind of vapid home videos show with his wife. And yeah, I understand that they are good games, it's just when you actually live with carjackings, cops, prostitution, gunfights and crackheads knocking on your door to scam/panhandle you, these things don't translate easily into an entertainment experience.

As a person who's been held up at gunpoint, I definately know what you mean. I live in Richmond, Virginia, a city with outstandingly high crime and murder rates. A friend of mine keeps on telling me about his exploits in GTA. "Yeah, I totally pulled this guy out of his car and shot him, haha!" and it's like he doesn't get it. That guy on the screen that just got his brains blown onto the pavement could have been me. Sobering thought.

zubisman on