Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
This thread is intended to be about games you want to like, but just can't. Games that are popular, or seem attractive for some reason, but you just can't manage to get into for one reason or another. I'd love it if some fans of the series/games brought up could defend them, as well - spread your joy. Share your inner fanboy, even.

For me, the game/series I just don't get is Metroid: Prime. It makes no sense to me. Here's a huge world with what seems to be no reason to exist whatsoever. The plot is nearly non-existant the first 15 hours of the game at least (pirates = bad, phazon = poison), so the only reason to even play it is to explore to grap powerups. Which you only need in order to grab more powerups. To eventually open a door way back on the other side of the map that grants access to a new area...where there are more powerups.

Still, I could I would be okay with this - if it made sense as to WHY you need this stuff except as a means of getting more of it. If there was any sense that there was a story you were driving forward, or the combat was more engaging, or even if there was a way to tag the map so I could remember where to go BACK TO once I grab the blue beam without having to look up a FAQ I could get behind it well enough to finish the game.

Now, that said, I WANT to like this game. It's smooth, and pretty, and it feels like I should want to finish it. But about 15 hours in (twice now) I just say to myself: "This isn't fun. It's tedious. Why should I keep doing this?" And then I just put it away. What makes people so rabid about these games?

JihadJesus on
Tired of getting reamed by Gamestop? Sign up for Goozex!
«13456716

Posts

  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited January 2007
    JihadJesus wrote:
    This thread is intended to be about games you want to like, but just can't. Games that are popular, or seem attractive for some reason, but you just can't manage to get into for one reason or another. I'd love it if some fans of the series/games brought up could defend them, as well - spread your joy. Share your inner fanboy, even.

    For me, the game/series I just don't get is Metroid: Prime. It makes no sense to me. Here's a huge world with what seems to be no reason to exist whatsoever. The plot is nearly non-existant the first 15 hours of the game at least (pirates = bad, phazon = poison), so the only reason to even play it is to explore to grap powerups. Which you only need in order to grab more powerups. To eventually open a door way back on the other side of the map that grants access to a new area...where there are more powerups.

    Still, I could I would be okay with this - if it made sense as to WHY you need this stuff except as a means of getting more of it. If there was any sense that there was a story you were driving forward, or the combat was more engaging, or even if there was a way to tag the map so I could remember where to go BACK TO once I grab the blue beam without having to look up a FAQ I could get behind it well enough to finish the game.

    Now, that said, I WANT to like this game. It's smooth, and pretty, and it feels like I should want to finish it. But about 15 hours in (twice now) I just say to myself: "This isn't fun. It's tedious. Why should I keep doing this?" And then I just put it away. What makes people so rabid about these games?

    Did you read the scan information? That's really the meat of the story, which happens to be really interesting.

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The plot is a lot more subtle in the Metroid games. VERY little is actually spelled out. The trick for M:P games though is to scan EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY computers and other such devices. They will reveal the plot in far more detail.

    But the biggest thing is that the Metroid games rarely, if ever have moments like 343 Guilty Spark telling you what the flood is in Halo. It's all about showing you what's going on, and either making you look for the why, or figure out the why on your own based on the presented evidence.

  • IchnobIchnob Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

    It was my first FE game. Never played the GBA games. Wanted to try it out to see if I liked it. Bought it, and set it to the easiest setting being an FE newbie. Put it probably 10 hours of gameplay (minus the resets due to character deaths). Sad to say, it wasn't for me. I wasn't having that much fun. Ended up selling it to someone.

  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of Halo, I want to like this game. I hear the hype. I know what the big deal is, and I should be impressed, but I'm not.

    do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • variantvariant Registered User
    edited January 2007
    halo (big surprise)


    and


    Metriod (*runs for his life*)

  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You don't get it because you just don't like it.

    No matter how much you want to like it, if the game itself isn't good in your eyes, then there really isn't much of anything you can do.

    They're videogames. Just move on.

  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, I scanned everything I could find. I didn't find a whole lot more story than what I summed up, personally. Made some details known, which is great, but it was hardly compelling stuff.

    I think part of it is that so much of the appeal is on exploration, and I found the environments to be largely stale, the ruins especially. It seemed like a really drawn out fetch quest, actually.

    Tired of getting reamed by Gamestop? Sign up for Goozex!
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Funny thing is, from Halo 2, I moved on to Animal Crossing 2.

    do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Fallout

    I love the concept, I love the atmosphere, I WANT TO LOVE IT.

    But I just can't.

    LuciferSig.jpg
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ranced wrote:
    You don't get it because you just don't like it.

    No matter how much you want to like it, if the game itself isn't good in your eyes, then there really isn't much of anything you can do.

    They're videogames. Just move on.

    Oh, I'm not hating myself for not liking M:P games or anything. But I think this type of topic, about many games, is pretyt interesting and worthwhile, if nothing else since you can hear a lot of (non-standard) opinions of what are generally decent games. And perspective is always good.

    Tired of getting reamed by Gamestop? Sign up for Goozex!
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Super Smash Bros. All it does is make me want to play the fun games that they characters are from. There are certainly worse fighters out there, but IMO most every other critically acclaimed series has a better fighting system.

    steam_sig.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Ranced wrote:
    You don't get it because you just don't like it.

    No matter how much you want to like it, if the game itself isn't good in your eyes, then there really isn't much of anything you can do.

    They're videogames. Just move on.

    Oh, I'm not hating myself for not liking M:P games or anything. But I think this type of topic, about many games, is pretyt interesting and worthwhile, if nothing else since you can hear a lot of (non-standard) opinions of what are generally decent games. And perspective is always good.

    I'm still sticking with the fact that you're not digging deep enough or aren't far enough.

    [spoiler:636ddcd038]You haven't even seen the stuff about how this planet was inhabited by the Chozo or something? or how Metroid Prime itself crashed down years ago and turned this planet into a nearly-barren, mutated foul version of its former self, and how the space pirates are trying to take this...THING and try to control it, when it's completely uncontrollable?[/spoiler:636ddcd038]

    As for Halo, the big thing about Halo is this: It's not revolutionary. It didn't do anything NEW. What it did was take existing concepts(randomized enemy spawn points, vehicles, shooting from a first person perspective, LAN play) and did them WELL, and introduced stuff like system link play to consoles and console players.

  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Ichnob wrote:
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

    It was my first FE game. Never played the GBA games. Wanted to try it out to see if I liked it. Bought it, and set it to the easiest setting being an FE newbie. Put it probably 10 hours of gameplay (minus the resets due to character deaths). Sad to say, it wasn't for me. I wasn't having that much fun. Ended up selling it to someone.

    In your defense, FE works better as a handheld game.

    I've put well over 80 hours combined into FE and FE:SS, but I can't get myself to sit down to play Path of Radiance. I know it's good, and I enjoy it when I do play it, but I just don't have any urge to play it. The handheld versions are better because you can just flick them on and off for a few minutes. They're perfect "play for 3 minutes and shut it off" since it saves every move.

    You should try the GBA versions, I think, even if you don't like the GC one.

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Super Smash Bros. All it does is make me want to play the fun games that they characters are from. There are certainly worse fighters out there, but IMO most every other critically acclaimed series has a better fighting system.
    Deep...soothing...breathes...
    [spoiler:2d9d837db1] J/K. There are times that I say to myself, "Why am I taking SSB so seriously?" [/spoiler:2d9d837db1]

  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Super Smash Bros. All it does is make me want to play the fun games that they characters are from. There are certainly worse fighters out there, but IMO most every other critically acclaimed series has a better fighting system.

    I don't know. I find that SSB's fighting system works REALLY well.

    Well, melee's at least. Going back to the original...Well, I could understand your point if you only played SSB instead of SSBM.

  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    ALL mmorpg's.... Whats so fun about this retarded combat they all have. I'd rather play counterstrike against bots...

  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    aesir wrote:
    ALL mmorpg's.... Whats so fun about this retarded combat they all have. I'd rather play counterstrike against bots...

    It's two things.

    One is the interaction. This is also why I don't play MMOs much, even free ones. I'm a loner by nature, so I don't do interaction.

    Two is about the rare items. It's the pokemon/diablo/trading card game syndrome. Make something rare, and people will bend over backwards and stick their tongue so far up their own ass it comes out of their mouth and goes back into their ass again to get them.

    Combine, toss in some servers for griefers to get their kicks and a few for roleplaying folks to act out the elaborate tale of their high elf with a +3 to stabbing, and you've got something that has potential for much moneys.

  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Animal Crossing. I just couldn't get into it.

    scale3nk0.png
  • GilderGilder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Games like Oblivion. I feel so overwhelmed with stuff I can do I just don't care about doing any of it.

  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Ranced wrote:
    You don't get it because you just don't like it.

    No matter how much you want to like it, if the game itself isn't good in your eyes, then there really isn't much of anything you can do.

    They're videogames. Just move on.

    Oh, I'm not hating myself for not liking M:P games or anything. But I think this type of topic, about many games, is pretyt interesting and worthwhile, if nothing else since you can hear a lot of (non-standard) opinions of what are generally decent games. And perspective is always good.

    I'm still sticking with the fact that you're not digging deep enough or aren't far enough.

    [spoiler:6b70ed5b2b]You haven't even seen the stuff about how this planet was inhabited by the Chozo or something? or how Metroid Prime itself crashed down years ago and turned this planet into a nearly-barren, mutated foul version of its former self, and how the space pirates are trying to take this...THING and try to control it, when it's completely uncontrollable?[/spoiler:6b70ed5b2b]

    As for Halo, the big thing about Halo is this: It's not revolutionary. It didn't do anything NEW. What it did was take existing concepts(randomized enemy spawn points, vehicles, shooting from a first person perspective, LAN play) and did them WELL, and introduced stuff like system link play to consoles and console players.

    Yeah, I've seen all the spoilered stuff, and it just seemed...eh. Like nothing more than an excuse to travel on and open the next locked door (which most players wanted to do anyway), rather than as a really compelling story in and of itself.

    Tired of getting reamed by Gamestop? Sign up for Goozex!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    Animal Crossing. I just couldn't get into it.

    I couldn't either, but it's essentially the Sims factor. There's something fun about controlling the life or lives of between 1 and <more than 1> virtual beings.

    And Gilder, it's all about seeing the stuff to do...

    Ignoring all of it, building your own internal story and doing what fits that. You don't do all the 'save the baby in the burning building' quests when your character is a foul serial killer who thrives on the blood of innocents and the cries of the damned. :P But that's just how I play them.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gilder wrote:
    Games like Oblivion. I feel so overwhelmed with stuff I can do I just don't care about doing any of it.

    That's exactly how I felt about Morrowind. In KotOR, I didn't mind the multi-tasking at all.

    It felt like a chore in TES for some reason.

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JihadJesus wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Ranced wrote:
    You don't get it because you just don't like it.

    No matter how much you want to like it, if the game itself isn't good in your eyes, then there really isn't much of anything you can do.

    They're videogames. Just move on.

    Oh, I'm not hating myself for not liking M:P games or anything. But I think this type of topic, about many games, is pretyt interesting and worthwhile, if nothing else since you can hear a lot of (non-standard) opinions of what are generally decent games. And perspective is always good.

    I'm still sticking with the fact that you're not digging deep enough or aren't far enough.

    [spoiler:830fdefcde]You haven't even seen the stuff about how this planet was inhabited by the Chozo or something? or how Metroid Prime itself crashed down years ago and turned this planet into a nearly-barren, mutated foul version of its former self, and how the space pirates are trying to take this...THING and try to control it, when it's completely uncontrollable?[/spoiler:830fdefcde]

    As for Halo, the big thing about Halo is this: It's not revolutionary. It didn't do anything NEW. What it did was take existing concepts(randomized enemy spawn points, vehicles, shooting from a first person perspective, LAN play) and did them WELL, and introduced stuff like system link play to consoles and console players.

    Yeah, I've seen all the spoilered stuff, and it just seemed...eh. Like nothing more than an excuse to travel on and open the next locked door (which most players wanted to do anyway), rather than as a really compelling story in and of itself.

    Then you must not know the overall Metroid story. It's like wondering why the hell you should care about the humans in Halo when you just started playing Halo 2 halfway through the game, to use the Halo comparison again. You aren't attached to the characters. You don't care about them, and therefore their story does not matter to you.

  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guild Wars. Like the idea, like the gameplay, like the fact that it is free, cant get into it. Something about it bugs me and just pushes me back.

    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia was fun... but now that I'm on my second playthrough, a year later, it seems so long and tedious...

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wind Waker. I get so much shit for it, too. I love the graphics, I love the world, and I love the dungeon design. I think it's extremely polished, the characters are interesting and the puzzles are challenging. Yet, the entire time I was playing it, I was thinking about how much I want to shut it off. It wasn't the difficulty, or anything else I can think of. I adore Zelda games, and it didn't deviate from the others too much. It just never clicked with me, and I had to force myself to finish it.

  • Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts. No matter how many times I pick them up, I can't play for more than an hour before putting them back on the shelf.

    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • GilderGilder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    And Gilder, it's all about seeing the stuff to do...

    Ignoring all of it, building your own internal story and doing what fits that. You don't do all the 'save the baby in the burning building' quests when your character is a foul serial killer who thrives on the blood of innocents and the cries of the damned. :P But that's just how I play them.
    No see, I LIKE to do everything in games. I get a strange sense of satisfaction by finishing every quest a game can offer. I wouldn't even be able to make my own sort of story because if I can do a quest, I feel like I must do it. The problem is there are too many quests and I think I would be 74 by the time I finish all the ones I can do. I feel like I need some kind of railing to at least drag my hand on so I know I'm proceeding forward. I don't mind if the rail breaks and a couple side-quest rails appear but in Morrowind and Oblivion, it felt like you started out looking at 15 different railings leading to 15 more, but only 1 of them actually lead to the end.

  • VariableVariable Weed and Masturbation Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rez. just did not seem special at all.

    Steam Profile - Variable114 | WiiU - Variable | 3DS - 3866-8105-7478
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Speicher, GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First person shooters, especially WW2 based. I don't get how you can fight the same fucking war over 20 different games and make it cool. They did it with Vietnam a while ago, and then with Desert Storm, and now they're doing it to the WW1 and WW2 era.

    Even the names are too damned similar...

    Band of Call of Medal of Men of Faces of Brothers of Duty of Honor of Valor of War 1942, anyone?

    XBL: Mega Spooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Metroid Prime was the same way for me. I kept playing and playing but it was just so I could say that I beat it. I never found it enjoyable at all really.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First person shooters, especially WW2 based. I don't get how you can fight the same fucking war over 20 different games and make it cool. They did it with Vietnam a while ago, and then with Desert Storm, and now they're doing it to the WW1 and WW2 era.

    Even the names are too damned similar...

    Band of Call of Medal of Men of Faces of Brothers of Duty of Honor of Valor of War 1942, anyone?

    WWII shooters ARE getting rather old, but there is a primal glee in killing nazis that I think was bred into us by the government and just kind of never bred out.

    First Person Shooters in general, though...There's something fun about shooting people, and people like to get into it, to be the one holding the gun, or at least seeing things through the eyes of the one holding the gun.

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Super Smash Bros. All it does is make me want to play the fun games that they characters are from. There are certainly worse fighters out there, but IMO most every other critically acclaimed series has a better fighting system.
    If you're a fan of other fighting series than I can see why you wouldn't like SSB. It's a completely different experience. There's a whole lot of depth to SSB:M, but it's all about timing and knowing what attacks to use rather than knowing how to perform them. I think SSB appeals more to people who can't get into regular fighters.

  • homeobockshomeobocks Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Halo. Gears.

  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Phoenix Wright, Contact, Metroid Prime, and Trauma Center spring to mind.

    And I wanted to like them all so much.

  • mayor cigar facemayor cigar face Registered User
    edited January 2007
    First person shooters, especially WW2 based. I don't get how you can fight the same fucking war over 20 different games and make it cool. They did it with Vietnam a while ago, and then with Desert Storm, and now they're doing it to the WW1 and WW2 era.

    Even the names are too damned similar...

    Band of Call of Medal of Men of Faces of Brothers of Duty of Honor of Valor of War 1942, anyone?

    A WW1 shooter would be pretty damn cool. Biding your time holed up in a trench, waiting to cross no man's land and take out the enemy, hoping that they don't deploy the mustard gas. But yeah, WW2 is getting pretty old.

    godsoe.png
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Another one for me--GTA III and it's counterparts.

    Played GTA III when it first came out for the PS2. Had some fun at first, but then I didn't feel like doing any of the missions or exploring anything. I guess, with so much free-roaming and not being forced to do anything, I didn't feel like doing anything at all.

    Tried it again with San Andreas. Two weeks later, same feeling. Had fun for those two weeks, but I didn't feel like playing after that. GTA is not for me.

  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All games in the first and third shooting genres with the notable exceptions of goldeneye/perfect dark, Rainbow Six, Red Orchestra, and Rainbow Six: Vegas(on realistic difficulty).

    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ichnob wrote:
    Another one for me--GTA III and it's counterparts.

    Played GTA III when it first came out for the PS2. Had some fun at first, but then I didn't feel like doing any of the missions or exploring anything. I guess, with so much free-roaming and not being forced to do anything, I didn't feel like doing anything at all.

    Tried it again with San Andreas. Two weeks later, same feeling. Had fun for those two weeks, but I didn't feel like playing after that. GTA is not for me.

    I'm noticing a trend here. Some people see a world of a thousand paths and carve their own. Others find the path they want and go down it. Others say fuck it and go do something else.

  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User
    edited January 2007
    No matter how many times I try the Dead Rising demo I just hate it. It just seems so boring and the controls are terrible.

    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
«13456716
Sign In or Register to comment.