As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Colt wrote:
    Guild Wars. Like the idea, like the gameplay, like the fact that it is free, cant get into it. Something about it bugs me and just pushes me back.

Also Halo.

And any Final Fantasy past 3.

3...or...3? :D

The real 3. Not the 6/3.

Wow, I couldn't stand 4 for how rough it seemed, but 6 is one of my absolute favorite RPGs. What do you like about the early ones?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Colt wrote:
    Guild Wars. Like the idea, like the gameplay, like the fact that it is free, cant get into it. Something about it bugs me and just pushes me back.

Also Halo.

The real 3. Not the 6/3.

You must also like coffee REALLY black. Inserted into your veins with a needle. Hot like magma.
    You purist, you.

(I just don't understand your enjoyment of the uglier side of the Final Fantasy series. Uglier, as in less polished and more barebones.)
    FInal Fantasy 5 is awesome. Great job system.

JJ on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Colt wrote:

Also Halo.

The real 3. Not the 6/3.

You must also like coffee REALLY black. Inserted into your veins with a needle. Hot like magma.
    You purist, you.

(I just don't understand your enjoyment of the uglier side of the Final Fantasy series. Uglier, as in less polished and more barebones.)
    FInal Fantasy 5 is awesome. Great job system.
    Actually, 5 is the one I didn't get.
    Plot was weak as anything, and other games before (3) and after (Tactics, X-2, Disgaea) did the job system better.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, opinions are opinions and all that, but some of you people just make me sad. How can you dislike Ocarina of Time and have a soul?

Noray on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    Oddly enough, Halo and Metroid have the same story, just different settings. Suit-enhanced human saves the world/universe from aliens.

Sort of like how Die Hard and Hamlet have the same story, but different settings. Some guy does stuff and then some people die. It's all pretty much the same thing when you think about it.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Skies of Arcadia

It's kinda interesting in how it's different from most RPGs, but when even the smallest, weakest enemies have long, drawn out spellcasting sequences, and you face four of them per battle, battles which occur every ten paces (and I'm playing Legends, not the original, which I hear was worse) it's just not worth the effort.

Can't remember how far I got (did a couple of the disappointing ship battles I think), but nothing could convince me to go back to it. When the puzzles were as simple as they were, I just wanted to get on with it, but it took ten minutes to walk from one room to the next.

Such a chore to play. Why so much love?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Skies of Arcadia

It's kinda interesting in how it's different from most RPGs, but when even the smallest, weakest enemies have long, drawn out spellcasting sequences, and you face four of them per battle, battles which occur every ten paces (and I'm playing Legends, not the original, which I hear was worse) it's just not worth the effort.

Can't remember how far I got (did a couple of the disappointing ship battles I think), but nothing could convince me to go back to it. When the puzzles were as simple as they were, I just wanted to get on with it, but it took ten minutes to walk from one room to the next.

I agree the encounter rate and random battles weren't the best, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and game world.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noray wrote:
    Man, opinions are opinions and all that, but some of you people just make me sad. How can you dislike Ocarina of Time and have a soul?

Sometimes I think that same thing when somebody says they disliked some game or some movie or some whatever that I loved. Then I realize what an unbelievably arrogant view that is.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Skies of Arcadia

I agree the encounter rate and random battles weren't the best, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and game world.

I liked the idea of the world until I realised the world map was just a confusing and featurless expanse full of invisible walls. Parts of the story interested me, but were mostly things I could easily find in other RPGs.

The actual gameplay just wasn't worth it. At all.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    mayor cigar facemayor cigar face Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    Oddly enough, Halo and Metroid have the same story, just different settings. Suit-enhanced human saves the world/universe from aliens.

Sort of like how Die Hard and Hamlet have the same story, but different settings. Some guy does stuff and then some people die. It's all pretty much the same thing when you think about it.

Die Hard is the greatest story ever told.

mayor cigar face on
    godsoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I liked the idea of the world until I realised the world map was just a confusing and featurless expanse full of invisible walls. Parts of the story interested me, but were mostly things I could easily find in other RPGs.

The actual gameplay just wasn't worth it. At all.
    I remember everything that you're talking about, yet it didn't ruin it for me. You must not have been touched in the magical place by it then.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

I played up to the point where you're on a bridge and a dude with bees coming from his mouth rolls up in a helicopter. That was the dumbest shit I have ever seen and I refused to play the game any further.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

I played up to the point where you're on a bridge and a dude with bees coming from his mouth rolls up in a helicopter. That was the dumbest shit I have ever seen and I refused to play the game any further.

In that vein, I mostly liked MGS2, but whoever came up with the "Vamp" character needs to die horribly.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War.

Seriously, I don't understand, in any capacity, how anyone can think this game is GOTY material. Yea the graphics are good and the controls are decent enough. But everything beyond that ranges from mediocre to shitty. Generic characters, enemies and enviroments? Check. Color palette that ranges from grey to brown to black? Check. Unoriginal plot? Check. Disappointing gameplay length? Check. Unimpressive boss fights? Check.

The more I think about it, the more average the game becomes.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

Ah, but the game gets soooo much better after that intro.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noray wrote:

Clunky 3-D controls and shitty-looking dungeons (Jabun anyone?)

Also, I'm bitter because no matter how hard I try I can't get past the fire temple.

It probably didn't help that I didn't have an N64 so I had already played WW by the time I tried either OoT or MM.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I get that people like different genres even if i don't understand why (different strokes for different folks)

As for genres that don't work for me

Sim Racing games (i'll play Burnout all day but i drive real cars as little as possible so anything realistic is doomed)

The three big PC genres (RTS, FPS, MMO they just never clicked with me)

NIS SRPG's not enough difference between classes other than stats and appearance.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Gears of War.

Seriously, I don't understand, in any capacity, how anyone can think this game is GOTY material. Yea the graphics are good and the controls are decent enough. But everything beyond that ranges from mediocre to shitty. Generic characters, enemies and enviroments? Check. Color palette that ranges from grey to brown to black? Check. Unoriginal plot? Check. Disappointing gameplay length? Check. Unimpressive boss fights? Check.

It's mostly an online game. The regular campaign is ok, co-op really fun, online matches the best. It's like playing Quake 3 and saying that its lacking because of the single player.

solsovly on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Gears of War.

It's mostly an online game. The regular campaign is ok, co-op really fun, online matches the best. It's like playing Quake 3 and saying that its lacking because of the single player.
    I don't know about that. The online matches are fun, but I still really loved the single-player.

But really, single-player should be played on Hardcore. It might be too hard for your first playthrough, but after that, it's not too hard, but it's hard enough that it encourages you to play conservatively and think before acting instead of just acting, as it can and will get you killed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noray wrote:
    Sometimes I think that same thing when somebody says they disliked some game or some movie or some whatever that I loved. Then I realize what an unbelievably arrogant view that is.
    On the whole, I agree.

However, if someone doesn't like Torment, I'm willing to be that arrogant.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Gears of War.

I played online. Grenade tagging is the best. It was meh. The cover system gives it a feel of it being tactical, when it's not at all. It's simply Quake 3 in which you can hide behind walls.

Rainbow Six: Vegas has better online play in every conceivable category except the "Chainsaw Gun" category.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    drhazard wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    On the whole, I agree.

Ok, I'll give you that one... :)

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Skies of Arcadia

You could skip those animations by pressing Start, I believe.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Kingdom Hearts.

I loved the music and the potential was so great, but oh God was the gameplay ever awful. Such a missed opportunity given the source material.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd like to add System Shock 2.

I reached [spoiler:2ff7cba28c]Shodan[/spoiler:2ff7cba28c] and thought to myself "This isn't fun. This isn't scary. Why am I playing this?"

Cheezy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

You need to get your eyes checked. No bees were coming out of his mouth.

At least, not at that point.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

When he barks he shoots bees at you.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just can't deal with First Person Shooters anymore, strip out the setting and backstory and they're all basically Quake 2. I feel like Mugatu trying to differentiate between Blue Steel and Le Tigre.

There's something not quite right about Oblivion too. I can't really put my finger on it. The game is beautiful, the world has a level of detail and interactivity I haven't seen since Ultima... and yet it just feels totally generic, like it's all just the same crap I've seen before.

Antishow on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

maybe they were coming from his ass, I'm not really sure. Either way I thought it was corny as hell.

What can I say, it was just not for me. I really did wanna like it.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really got into Halo 2 but I bought it when it launched and didn't even play the single player campaign in any form until a month later. The multiplayer, though, was where it was at, and it was the most fun you could have on Live for a good long time. If you likes FPSs, of course. The story for most games don't really do anything for me; I like to see what happens next, but it's all about the gameplay for me. The fact that pretty much every Halo 2 game ended up playing out differently, and the levels were surprisingly balanced, made me a fan. But yeah, I don't really care for the campaign (if they dropped all the Flood levels and the alien levels I might change my mind).

This last gen games that I didn't get at all, well, the big one was Eternal Darkness. People here raved about it, but combat is clunky and the enemies are basically all the same. I got up to a point where I was in this inter-dimensional doorway with this big fat monster throwing some energy blob at me that killed me in 4 hits, and said "sorry game, you've got to do more than let me whack off different parts of a monster." Sold it for more than I bought it for, at least.

I've never understood the attraction of any of the sonic games, but I guess they're just not for me.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    EggyToast wrote:
    I really got into Halo 2 but I bought it when it launched and didn't even play the single player campaign in any form until a month later. The multiplayer, though, was where it was at, and it was the most fun you could have on Live for a good long time.
    Bees Knees fo' life, brotha! ;)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Sploozoo wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 3.

maybe they were coming from his ass, I'm not really sure. Either way I thought it was corny as hell.

What can I say, it was just not for me. I really did wanna like it.
    MGS is less Tom Clancy political espionage and more James Bond camp-action set to stealth, right down to the corny and absurd villains. If you prefer the former then you're better off sticking to Splinter Cell.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    drhazard wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    On the whole, I agree.

In such a case, it's not for them.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rohaq wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    I really got into Halo 2 but I bought it when it launched and didn't even play the single player campaign in any form until a month later. The multiplayer, though, was where it was at, and it was the most fun you could have on Live for a good long time.

Those were some absolutely fantastic times. Breakin' the motherfuckin' habit.

I've got Guild Wars: Factions. It seems ok, I guess. I just can't really get into it. Maybe it's just the role playing campaign. I guess I should make a PvP character and check that out, since that's supposed to be the big deal anyway. It just seems like I remember reading that the PvP characters lack options or something. If that's really the case, I can't see digging it too much either.

Drake on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    drhazard wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    On the whole, I agree.

In such a case, it's not for them.
    Hah, no, in fact, that just means they lack a soul.

I'm not joking.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drake wrote:
    Rohaq wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:

Those were some absolutely fantastic times. Breakin' the motherfuckin' habit.

I've got Guild Wars: Factions. It seems ok, I guess. I just can't really get into it. Maybe it's just the role playing campaign. I guess I should make a PvP character and check that out, since that's supposed to be the big deal anyway. It just seems like I remember reading that the PvP characters lack options or something. If that's really the case, I can't see digging it too much either.
    PvP characters used to be limited without going through the game with a PvE character. Now as you kill and win rounds in PvP, you earn Balthazar faction (which you can think of in this case like money). Now, there are NPCs in all the PvP areas (Priests of Balthazar, I believe) that will let you spend this faction to unlock new skills and weapon and armor upgrades. So without ever touching the campaign, you can create viable characters if you want.

Truthfully, though, PvP was at its height during the betas and shortly after release. For the majority of people, it seemed like it was more about having fun and trying things out and less about exploiting whatever flavor of the month character build some idiot on the internet came up with like it is now.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Super Smash Bros. All it does is make me want to play the fun games that they characters are from. There are certainly worse fighters out there, but IMO most every other critically acclaimed series has a better fighting system.

I'm with you on that one, my friends love SSB. I really just don't like it.

Also, I find that no matter how much I like the multiplayer, I can never make it through tactical shooter games. I have never gotten passed about 3 quarters completion on any rainbow six game. Hoping to break that streak with Vegas, but after playing it for about 6 hours, I don't really have the desire to return to single player.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noray wrote:
    apotheos wrote:
    I agree.

But I don't get people who adore the MGS franchise. Its really good, but its god enough odd bits stuffed in there.
    What? Bar MGS2, which is still pretty good except for the endgame, the series is completely awesome in every way. I've yet to see any other video game producer attempt story like Kojima does. There's still a bit too much out-of-place humour/weirdness and self-indulgence in there, I'll give you that, and I think some of the more blatantly unrealistic things (MGS3's bosses) could be exorcised from the franchise, but I still love it.

You know, I respect your opinion. You can have it. You're just wrong :P

The camera is terrible and makes no sense for a game that requires to you know your surroundings, but that looks to be a bit better with the Subsistence camera.

And the controls are terrible. When I need to hold down about 5 buttons to do something, it's too much

If you want to do something like hug a wall, look around the corner, pull you your gun, swap to FPS mode, then decide 'nah' and put the gun away, it shouldn't be that fiddly.

My hope is that MGS4 refines the control and uses a sensible camera (and comes out on 360 :P )

Luckily the story is generally interesting enough to keep me interested, though I very almost lost it with MGS3 when I played through it. The thing with the MGS series is that the cinematics and story are very compelling. To me, it's really half movie and half game, and I really like the movie part. The game part... well... it's flawed, terribly so. I don't know how some people can't see that.

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i love adventure games.
    much to my dismay.
    i tried to like the new longest journey. in fact, the first one was only alright...but id heard so much about it being the best and brightest (of the time) i had to try it.
    syberia i tried as well and was flat-out bored and felt like i was actually missing doing stuff when moving from one section to the next.

a lot of my problems were glitches/voice acting and epic story-telling. the first two i can suffer through...but the whole saving the universe/world thing in most of the new ones is a bit much. i realize most video games seem to focus around that concept...but one of the things i always found nice about adventure games was their ability to focus on character and conversation. small internal battles or seemingly meaningless yet identifiable struggles.
    also: stop assuming im going to go through the conversation in the order the choices are put forth. i could just read a got-damn book if i wanted that.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    aesir wrote:
    ALL mmorpg's.... Whats so fun about this retarded combat they all have. I'd rather play counterstrike against bots...

It's about accomplishing a goal such as getting to a high level and/or getting the best items in the game, and then showing off to everyone. You get affirmation from other real people who have the same interests as you. It's the other people that make the game fun.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.