Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

11011121315

Posts

  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User
    edited January 2007
    ...what is this. Some attempt to troll.

    We were Halo trolling before you were born son.

    Every possible criticism about Halo has been said before and argued before.The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    He seems to project beyond himself, exerting a kind of Reggie Field that dogs and many birds find unpleasant. Hearing a man speak with this much drive and confidence about an imaginary plumber is sort of enthralling.
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I don't get that yugioh show.

    gertsig.jpg
  • Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User
    edited January 2007
    ...what is this. Some attempt to troll.

    We were Halo trolling before you were born son.

    Every possible criticism about Halo has been said before and argued before.The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    don't you bring your fucking logic in here

    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    ...what is this. Some attempt to troll.

    We were Halo trolling before you were born son.

    Every possible criticism about Halo has been said before and argued before.The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    What the fuck are you on, son?
    Are you a little touched? Would you like to be? :winky:

    Of course Halo's been critiqued. This is the thread to do it again. They're all very valid critisicms.

    Sales don't lie... okay. So by this standard, Titanic is a perfect movie, Michael Jackson made some of the best music available today, and Bush deserves both of his terms in office. Opinions differ.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would like to go on record to say that I didn't like Halo for its story. In fact, my undying love for Halo comes from one very very specific thing:

    2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs

    Anything else, sucked. Except perhaps varying numbers of players. 2v4, 4v4, 8v8, 2v6 whatever.

    But for that, and only that, I love that game.

    Also I dislike Halo 2 because it destroyed 2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs. Nobody played Halo online anymore after Halo 2 came out. And that ended nearly 4 years of ridiculous fun.

    skype: rtschutter
  • JJJJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get games where your level of roleplaying is greater than selecting lines from a menu to speak. Serious business mmos and whatnot.

    I don't really know the etiquette when it comes to that. Would it be wrong to talk about Lyndsay Lohan's snatch while slaying some dragon with guild buddies?

    I stay away from mmos in general. The payment thing and I'm afraid I might get addicted. There's also an image issue. I'm trying to do less geeky things. An mmo is pretty goddamn geeky.

    Unless it's WoW then apparently fucking everybody plays it.

    Mr. Banballow was so badly maimed, he turned into a hideous monster, oozing and bleeding, snarling and growling like a beast---enraged and bent on revenge. He tracked down the kids responsible for the fire and killed them one by one----with a blowtorch. That wasn't enough for Banballow. He won't leave his inn or his memories, so there he waits....in ambush....
  • edited January 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    ...what is this. Some attempt to troll.

    We were Halo trolling before you were born son.

    Every possible criticism about Halo has been said before and argued before.The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    What the fuck are you on, son?
    Are you a little touched? Would you like to be? :winky:

    Of course Halo's been critiqued. This is the thread to do it again. They're all very valid critisicms.

    Sales don't lie... okay. So by this standard, Titanic is a perfect movie, Michael Jackson made some of the best music available today, and Bush deserves both of his terms in office. Opinions differ.
    but the original suggestion was that objectively speaking halo must be a good game because it's sold a lot

    since when do opinions have anything to do with it? stop being a twit

    my "i just don't get it" games are 3d zeldas, and lord knows i've tried, i really have

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    cakemikz wrote:
    I would like to go on record to say that I didn't like Halo for its story. In fact, my undying love for Halo comes from one very very specific thing:

    2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs

    Anything else, sucked. Except perhaps varying numbers of players. 2v4, 4v4, 8v8, 2v6 whatever.

    But for that, and only that, I love that game.

    Also I dislike Halo 2 because it destroyed 2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs. Nobody played Halo online anymore after Halo 2 came out. And that ended nearly 4 years of ridiculous fun.

    Yeah.
    Ok, one last thing on this.

    Halo isn't a bad game. It's a good, well made shooter with flaws just like anything else. It's one of the first console shooters to actually get things 'right' (well, almost). It just doesn't stand above it's predecessors or have the kind of original and groundbreaking mythos like I keep hearing.
    Sure it's fun to dick around with it and the multiplayer is definitely a blast if you haven't been spoiled by better multiplayer featured in PC games or subsequent console shooters.
    When you get to the point where you're buying books and talking about the Master Chief like he's anything else but a mishmash of generic badass shooter persona... I just... as the thread title says, "Don't Get It (tm)".

    Just as a personal thing, I would've preferred if Master Chief had no voice and was Gordon Freeman in a helmet instead of Doom Marine with a voice.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    is there like a website with lots of cut and paste halo opinions? i swear like everyone that doesn't like the game has the same goddamn "it's good but i don't see the big hoopla" opinion about it

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I think that's enough Halo discussion for a page or two, really.

    Now Naruto, I don't get it.
    Probably because I don't watch the kids show.

    Dragonball Z too, again because I don't watch the kids show.

    I swear it's not an anime thing.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Look stigma would you actually read the damn books before saying how bad they are? Jesus Christ.

    I don't care what your feelings are about the franchise and people
    buying books and talking about the Master Chief like he's anything else but a mishmash of generic badass shooter persona
    but the books are a fun read, and anyone who has read them would agree with me.

    Edit: I mean, "I hated Twilight Princess because I don't like Zelda, although I've never played the game."

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Yeah. I don't care.

    Like it's been said, there are better books to waste my time on than some fanservice thing about a game that's just 'there'.
    Hell, I wouldn't read a book about Metal Gear and I think that has a great story for a game.

    Talk about how I'm supposed to like anime kids shows now and how you think I should die because I don't think having a super high power level is 'so cool'.
    Come on. Move on.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get trolling. I mean, I realize that it's easy and provides immediate results, but if you're willing to put in just a little bit more effort, there are much better ways to be an asshole.

    Just look at pheezer.

    Steam Profile: Lork
    Gamertag: Clorfhanger
  • JJJJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    Yeah. I don't care.

    Like it's been said, there are better books to waste my time on than some fanservice thing about a game that's just 'there'.
    Hell, I wouldn't read a book about Metal Gear and I think that has a great story for a game.

    Talk about how I'm supposed to like anime kids shows now and how you think I should die because I don't think having a super high power level is 'so cool'.
    Come on. Move on.
    Mine's over 9000!

    Huaaagghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Aaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

    *gasp*

    Ruaagghhhhhhhhhuahhhhhaghhhhhh!!!!

    Mr. Banballow was so badly maimed, he turned into a hideous monster, oozing and bleeding, snarling and growling like a beast---enraged and bent on revenge. He tracked down the kids responsible for the fire and killed them one by one----with a blowtorch. That wasn't enough for Banballow. He won't leave his inn or his memories, so there he waits....in ambush....
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You're kind of right. There are many, better, books for you to waste your time on than a fanservice.

    And I do as well.

    But, for anything in general, try to make sure you've experienced the thing first before saying it sucks, and then insulting someone (say, me) for saying I liked it. After all, I've read the damn things.

    Now, I'm sure we've all got something we don't get to post about.

    Edit: I hate anime.

    Now stop fucking trolling.

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I never once insulted you.

    Just because I don't like something you like doesn't mean I'm insulting you by insulting Master Chief.
    You are not Master Chief.

    Quit throwing the word "troll" around just because you're on the internet.

    Edit: Oh and you hate anime? How can you hate an entire art form? Obviously you won't like everything that's presented in it, but it's a rather wide spectrum.
    I may 'not get' Dragonball, but I rather liked Ghost in the Shell.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    I never once insulted you.

    Just because I don't like something you like doesn't mean I'm insulting you by insulting Master Chief.
    You are not Master Chief.

    Quit throwing the word "troll" around just because you're on the internet.
    Mmm hm.

    Yep.
    Ok.
    Sure.

    You have fun with that now.
    Run along.
    You're very right. I am not the Master Chief, the last time I checked.

    Thank you for reminding me.

  • JJJJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm Doom guy and I don't much appreciate the comparison, asshole.

    Mr. Banballow was so badly maimed, he turned into a hideous monster, oozing and bleeding, snarling and growling like a beast---enraged and bent on revenge. He tracked down the kids responsible for the fire and killed them one by one----with a blowtorch. That wasn't enough for Banballow. He won't leave his inn or his memories, so there he waits....in ambush....
  • edited January 2007
    there should be a forum rule

    more of a guideline, actually

    "no one gives a shit what you think about halo"

    it's applicable to so many posts it would be like an effective way of cutting out a lot of stupid

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Iriah wrote:
    read the damn book!
    Asshole.
    Yeah.
    JJ wrote:
    I'm Doom guy and I don't much appreciate the comparison, asshole.

    Sorry dude. <3s for you.
    It's just that, because you retired and have gone to the hall of fame every young rookie is just going to get compared to you. Especially if they wear the same uniform and play the same sport. If you know what I mean.

    Just remember, like Babe Ruth, it's almost impossible for anyone to get out from under your shadow.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    With each post, your logic declines.

    You're obviously not going to admit that you're wrong. Goodnight.

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    *Yawn*
    *Stretch*

    Ahhhh


    Ok. So anime.
    Who gets anime?

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    *Yawn*
    *Stretch*

    Ahhhh


    Ok. So anime.
    Who gets anime?

    I get some in the mail from time to time.

  • edited January 2007
    "all books about games are stupid even though i have never read one"

    "how can you dismiss an art form without ever having tried it?"

    ok stigma stop being a tool please

  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I've read books before, subject matter is a choice.
    Let it go for fuck's sake.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • JJJJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    Stigma wrote:
    *Yawn*
    *Stretch*

    Ahhhh


    Ok. So anime.
    Who gets anime?

    I get some in the mail from time to time.
    I get it at stores.

    Mr. Banballow was so badly maimed, he turned into a hideous monster, oozing and bleeding, snarling and growling like a beast---enraged and bent on revenge. He tracked down the kids responsible for the fire and killed them one by one----with a blowtorch. That wasn't enough for Banballow. He won't leave his inn or his memories, so there he waits....in ambush....
  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Stigma wrote:
    *Yawn*
    *Stretch*

    Ahhhh


    Ok. So anime.
    Who gets anime?

    I get some in the mail from time to time.
    I get it at stores.
    I got some at Blockbuster once, it was random.

    Anyway guys, 7 am. I'm outta here.
    See you tonight, hopefully by then some people have mellowed the fuck out.
    I've seen christian fundamentalists who are less offended that I don't believe what they do.
    Woooo.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't understand why developers and publishers insist upon releasing the exact same War-themed FPS games every few months. I mean, they are all exactly the same. They will invariably start with you landing on a Beach Normandy style and shooting some people. It was even the first mission in Worms 3D, for crying out loud.

    At the same time, I don't get the appeal of games that try to immerse you in realism. Don't we play games to escape from reality? I'm much more content playing Serious Sam than I am playing one of the MoH games.

    portscenter-pa.gif
  • edited January 2007
    At the same time, I don't get the appeal of games that try to immerse you in realism. Don't we play games to escape from reality? I'm much more content playing Serious Sam than I am playing one of the MoH games.
    most people aren't fighting in WW2 during their real lives though

  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Iriah wrote:
    Stigma wrote:
    I never once insulted you.

    Just because I don't like something you like doesn't mean I'm insulting you by insulting Master Chief.
    You are not Master Chief.

    Quit throwing the word "troll" around just because you're on the internet.
    Mmm hm.

    Yep.
    Ok.
    Sure.

    You have fun with that now.
    Run along.
    You're very right. I am not the Master Chief, the last time I checked.

    Thank you for reminding me.

    I think a better example is:
    Stigma wrote:
    So.

    Knowing that members of your community buy books based on videogames. Halo books.

    Are you as embarrassed as I am?

    I mean, sure, you can not like military SF based on Halo, that's fine and dandy and I think most people can accept that. But expressing embarrassment that members of your community like books based on games is like expressing embarrassment that members of your community like playing video games. That's the thing that's gotten everybody's goats up, more than you just not liking the books. It's the kind of thinking we get from ignorant people who don't realize that video games aren't toys and keep reinforcing the stereotype of the geek in his parent's basement surrounded by action figures dreaming of Leia's gold bikini.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2007
    The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    I can't decide if you're serious about this, or if you're (from an "objective" point of view) utterly retarded.

  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User
    edited January 2007
    The same result as always is sales don't lie, and Halo has sold millions. From an objective point of view it must be a good game.

    I can't decide if you're serious about this, or if you're (from an "objective" point of view) utterly retarded.

    I missed the italics on must, which would have indicated sarcasm. Just like how Madden sells through the roof.

    So yes, just to clarify, I wasnt in any way suggesting that in reality just because Halo sells well it is a superior product (even though in the games industry this is a pretty common trend, though games like Psychonauts slip through I would say that good games usually do sell very well).

    In my opinion Halo is a good game. Not the greatest of all time, but definetly up there. Halo 2 is not. I cannot pass judgement on 3 yet.

    He seems to project beyond himself, exerting a kind of Reggie Field that dogs and many birds find unpleasant. Hearing a man speak with this much drive and confidence about an imaginary plumber is sort of enthralling.
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't "Get" Katanas. They are nice swords and everything, well constructed to boot, but I don't get the love for them that others put on them.

    camo_sig2.png
    XBL: The Ratling PSN: Talon_Lardner RockstarSN: Kobold_Knight XFire: TheListener
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    I hated Halo, It is a good game for multiplayer, but ehh, stupid people suck, Halo was like sugar to the stupid, and the smart, but good lord there were more morons than nerds on Halo, which started a chain of events, sadly, I liked DF, Morrowind was changed by the Xbox, then came OB, which wasnt even an RPG, and hilariously, instead if publishing an apology for their OB reviews, the gaming media is instead trashing Gothic3, for no goddamned reason

    I don't get the people that play Halo, I don't get the the new audience of TES, I don't get OB, and I don't get why gaming magazines are so goddamned beholden to advertising revenue.

    Spoiler:
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    then came OB, which wasnt even an RPG
    :roll:

  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Objection!

    Sustained. Interactive fiction is a game. Just not the genre I thought PW was. :)

  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Regarding video game books, I didn't like Planescape: Torment as a game very much (it's just not my style), but I thought the story was interesting. I picked up the novelization on the cheap, then promptly put it right back down. It was terrible.

  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited January 2007
    cakemikz wrote:
    I would like to go on record to say that I didn't like Halo for its story. In fact, my undying love for Halo comes from one very very specific thing:

    2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs

    Anything else, sucked. Except perhaps varying numbers of players. 2v4, 4v4, 8v8, 2v6 whatever.

    But for that, and only that, I love that game.

    Also I dislike Halo 2 because it destroyed 2v2 Blood Gulch CTF Hogs. Nobody played Halo online anymore after Halo 2 came out. And that ended nearly 4 years of ridiculous fun.

    See, I'm the exact opposite. I like the story of Halo, but hate the gameplay.

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wonder when "They should put this on the Wii" is going to overtake "Halo is overrated" as the most overused phrase of all time.

    Either way, I wish this forum had an ignore feature. I waste way too much time reading the same crap from the same people.

Sign In or Register to comment.