As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attempted flight bombing thwarted

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    So I flew from Providence, RI to Seattle yesterday with a transfer in Chicago
    Getting through the security screening didn't take noticeably longer and they spot checked people at the gate by patting them down, sometimes checking their carryons again, and testing any containers of liquid simply by holding some strip over the open container to test the vapors

the only delays I experienced were weather related

anyone who's bitching about these additional steps is a big fucking baby

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Getting through the security screening didn't take noticeably longer and they spot checked people at the gate by patting them down, sometimes checking their carryons again, and testing any containers of liquid simply by holding some strip over the open container to test the vapors

every plane out of toronto into the states was delayed at least a few hours yesterday, and the man staffing the terminal said it was pretty much guaranteed to repeat itself for a week or so. The passengers getting off in Tampa ten hours late said that every single person was frisked regardless of the metal detector.

I think it's just crazy for international flights going into the states

unintentional on
    edited December 2009

every plane out of toronto into the states was delayed at least a few hours yesterday, and the man staffing the terminal said it was pretty much guaranteed to repeat itself for a week or so. The passengers getting off in Tampa ten hours late said that every single person was frisked regardless of the metal detector.

uh
    I think it absolutely makes sense to have even tighter security for international flights that are statesbound
    how does that not make sense?
    how does it make more sense to be more careful with domestic flights?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

uh
    I think it absolutely makes sense to have even tighter security for international flights that are statesbound
    i feel more threatened by people from seattle than anywhere else in the world

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited December 2009
    Houk wrote: »

uh
    how fucking edgy

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hippies and yuppies are truly the greatest threat the nation has ever faced.

MKR on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

uh
    how fucking edgy
    listen im not gonna lie

i dont even know why i said that

ive only been to seattle once and by all accounts it was a pretty nice place

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Hippies and yuppies are truly the greatest threat the nation has ever faced.

HEY!

Desktop Hippie on
    edited December 2009

uh
    how fucking edgy
    listen im not gonna lie

whatever man, I've got to pack another bowl of patchouli scented sticky and get hella baked

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    i dunno why it took me this long to even look up what patchouli was, but im pretty sure ive never had a direct run-in with this substance. maybe someday...

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited December 2009
    It's weed laced with the brow sweat and boiled bootstraps of the wealthy.

MKR on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm the middle man

I am the real terrorist

no, you're just a stupid fucking idiot

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    Dork let's make this clear

someone leaving their items unattended in an AIRPORT

and walking away

I HOPE YOU CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE MIGHT WONDER IF THERE MIGHT BE A BOMB

this never made sense rane, sorry

if you leave something unattended before the security checkpoint then nobody cares

But if you leave something after you've taken it through an x-ray machine, taken off your shoes, and had your ass sniffed by three dogs, then people freak out

The only reasonable conclusion I can draw from this is that security would not have an idea of what a bomb looks like if they were to encounter one

Plus I mean what sort of idiot terrorist is going to leave a bomb unattended that is just dumb

the point is that then brown people can hide bombs in your stuff and get them through security because they now made a white bomb
    god

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    Dork let's make this clear

someone leaving their items unattended in an AIRPORT

and walking away

I HOPE YOU CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE MIGHT WONDER IF THERE MIGHT BE A BOMB

this never made sense rane, sorry

if you leave something unattended before the security checkpoint then nobody cares

But if you leave something after you've taken it through an x-ray machine, taken off your shoes, and had your ass sniffed by three dogs, then people freak out

The only reasonable conclusion I can draw from this is that security would not have an idea of what a bomb looks like if they were to encounter one

Plus I mean what sort of idiot terrorist is going to leave a bomb unattended that is just dumb

I disagree
    people may be less on the lookout before the security checkpoint, but you're a dunce if you think no one cares about an abandoned piece of luggage outside the checkpoint
    the vast majority of the time the police/TSA will definitely respond if someone reports an abandoned package/luggage outside the checkpoint

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    but druhim
    don't you see the man makes his life stressful that way?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009
    the man just wants to get in his butt

I think that's reasonable

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Imagine 8 people sneaking an innocuous item though, them assembling a bomb from them after the gate and putting it in an unattended bag.

like I said, they could just attend to the bag

If it is that big a concern it wouldn't be a thing to just disallow carry on stuff.

Not everyone wants to blow up with their bomb

JacksWastedLife on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not everyone's butt has enough room for a punch clock and a revolving door, Dru.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited December 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Not everyone's butt has enough room for a punch clock and a revolving door, Dru.
    but i think enough do to make it a valid concern

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited December 2009
    punch clock? god
    RFID!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009
    But Dru is old you see.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited December 2009
    punch clock? god
    RFID!

Really Fun Improvised Donger

MKR on
    edited December 2009
    a stone tablet

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

uh
    how fucking edgy
    listen im not gonna lie

whatever man, I've got to pack another bowl of patchouli scented sticky and get hella baked

5:00AM unintentional meant "I think that the stepped up security measures only apply for international flights going into the states."

my bad.

Also I'm home! The system works

unintentional on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a one way flight from LA to DC tomorrow. I am going to get SOOOO searched.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've had to hang out at a mall with my luggage before, and having my luggage on one side of the bench and me sitting on the other I had security guards and shit walking (or riding in their cute little golf carts) up to me constantly asking me if those are my bags etc

So, no it's not just this phenomenon that takes place whenever you make it past security at an airport

Javen on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a one way flight from LA to DC tomorrow. I am going to get SOOOO searched.

Just don't roll around in flash powder before you head to the airport and leave your Quran collection at home and you'll be fine.

Hunter on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the other day my dad told me he liked the smell of patchouli

I have never smelled it ever

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys have a really poor nose for exaggerations

Dorktron9000 on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the dude that tackled the said terrorist? Jasper Schuringa:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/26/national/main6024122.shtml

image6024110g.jpg

That was the link I lost. Apparantly he has found a way to profit from his heroism, being that news outlets are having to pay for interviews. Good for him I say.

Muse Among Men on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has it yet been pointed out that had the terrorist not sucked and/or the bomb had been built properly these heroes would be scattered in a thin film across a Detroit runway?

Jasconius on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes but they weren't

because terrorists are dumb

Javen on
    edited December 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Has it yet been pointed out that had the terrorist not sucked and/or the bomb had been built properly these heroes would be scattered in a thin film across a Detroit runway?

Still according to what I've read most people panicked and a few took action. Let them have their 15 minutes.

Butters on
    edited December 2009
    Well.

To make what I think is a valid comparison, take the dude from a few years ago who saved a guy from being run over by a subway train by leaping onto him and holding him down. That was a heroic act.

If you take these airplane guys initiative in awareness and apply it to train dude... He would have pushed the guy onto the tracks after the train had already passed and then been promptly arrested.

Jasconius on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    my understanding is that he was having trouble lighting the bomb, but there was still a bomb attached to him

satansfingers on
    edited December 2009
    The first report I read suggested that the bomb failed to detonate due to a bad mixture or fuse or whatever, and that it has only burned instead of exploded, causing the guys lap to catch on fire (lawl!).

But that report is now lost in all of the aftermath reporting and I can't find the article from nytimes.com

Oh here we go: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/28/us/28explosives.html?ref=us

Apparently it is not an easily ignitable compound and he just set it on fire instead of making it blow up.

If he had a blasting cap or formal detonator they would have been toast.

Jasconius on
    edited December 2009
    my understanding is that he was having trouble lighting the bomb, but there was still a bomb attached to him

Not sure if it's totally clear but it's looking like human error in either the making or the triggering of the bomb (via injection of a ignition substance) made what should of been a big boom into a fire and third degree burns for the suspect.

Butters on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are there any new restrictions on carry-on stuff for domestic flights?

JoeUser on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    we all have to fly naked and cannot bring any carry ons

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg