As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attempted flight bombing thwarted

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    we all have to fly naked and cannot bring any carry ons

Well the guy did have the bomb sewed into his underwear ...

JoeUser on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the dude that tackled the said terrorist? Jasper Schuringa:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/26/national/main6024122.shtml

image6024110g.jpg

That was the link I lost. Apparantly he has found a way to profit from his heroism, being that news outlets are having to pay for interviews. Good for him I say.

Uh huh

Good for him and all, but I think I'd respect his nordic ass more for just taking the kudos

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Redeemer wrote: »

image6024110g.jpg

That was the link I lost. Apparantly he has found a way to profit from his heroism, being that news outlets are having to pay for interviews. Good for him I say.

Uh huh

Good for him and all, but I think I'd respect his nordic ass more for just taking the kudos

in this economy?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Are there any new restrictions on carry-on stuff for domestic flights?

no bombs

bongi on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I may be late to the party, but that guy is not only heroic but adorable.

Dibs.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    oi

join the back of the queue

bongi on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

your best source for accurate information as opposed to possible fear mongering and melodramatic overreactions:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

your best source for accurate information as opposed to possible fear mongering and melodramatic overreactions:

Oh neat, thanks! I have to fly pretty much every week.

I once had a bottle of water (that I bought in the airport) tested with some kind of litmus paper.

JoeUser on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From what I've seen on sites like Gizmodo and Engadget who've been trying to nail down the new rules

it sounds like the airlines haven't planned any concrete rules and making it up as they go along and are claiming it's to keep things "unpredictable" and to keep passengers "on their toes."

edit: Once I flew from Palm Beach to New York to Chicago to Seattle with a box cutter in my carry on and noooby noticed. :|

Abracadaniel on
    edited December 2009

Oh neat, thanks! I have to fly pretty much every week.

I once had a bottle of water (that I bought in the airport) tested with some kind of litmus paper.

yeah, I've heard people complaining about them testing open containers of liquid but seriously all they do is hold the strip over the mouth of the bottle to test the vapors
    OH GOD I'VE BEEN VIOLATED

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    From what I've seen on sites like Gizmodo and Engadget who've been trying to nail down the new rules

it sounds like the airlines haven't planned any concrete rules and making it up as they go along and are claiming it's to keep things "unpredictable" and to keep passengers "on their toes."

edit: Once I flew from Palm Beach to New York to Chicago to Seattle with a box cutter in my carry on and noooby noticed. :|

you're on the watch list now SH D:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I had just never seen that before! And it's weird since any liquid you have would have been bought in the airport past security.

JoeUser on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm flying Dulles to Orlando in just a few hours today. Got a lot of new books for x-mas so I don't need no games.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited December 2009

you're on the watch list now SH D:

as if the thing with the international money scheme wasn't bad enough :(

Abracadaniel on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bongi wrote: »

no bombs

I just want to carry a little bomb, is that OK?

How about I check the bomb and get it when we reach our destination?

Hunter on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    christ, so now i gotta get to the airport another hour early. or at least past the security checkpoint. i will be hammered by the time i get to the atl, because i can't stand waiting at the gate for more than 10 minutes, book or no.

can't wait to see what butters gets confiscated on his return trip this time.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
    edited December 2009
    cadmunky wrote: »
    christ, so now i gotta get to the airport another hour early. or at least past the security checkpoint. i will be hammered by the time i get to the atl, because i can't stand waiting at the gate for more than 10 minutes, book or no.

Where are you flying out of?

JoeUser on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dulles intl.

and just in time.

cadmunky on
    edited December 2009
    dulles intl.

and just in time.

Which airline are you flying? I recommend getting a day pass to whatever lounge they have.

JoeUser on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/storyv2/CTVNews/20091227/flight_delays_091227/20091227/?hub=TopStoriesV2

OK I take back most of my complaining, quite thankful I got home within a day

unintentional on
    edited December 2009
    bah, i've been in the red carpet. but i'm on delta this time anyway. i prefer a less austere environment. i'll be fine with the usual airport pub and joe shmoe to talk my ear off.

cadmunky on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Redeemer wrote: »

image6024110g.jpg

Uh huh

I like how the comments section is filled with people talking about other famous Dutch people besides this guy.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    anyone fly yet and end up with the whole "electronics banned" myth/rumor?

Barcardi on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    anyone fly yet and end up with the whole "electronics banned" myth/rumor?

I was playing my DS the entire flight from toronto to winnipeg yesterday
    but that's canada

edit: I'm not going to keep talking about my flight because it was exactly the same as any other flight I've been on, except they gave out free snacks because it was delayed!

unintentional on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only thing I heard was that you aren't allowed to have anything in your lap for the first hour of all flights.

Which makes perfect since since this terrorist tried to set the bomb off in the LAST hour of the flight.

Americans (read: Homeland security et al) are fucking retarded.

Jasconius on
    edited December 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The only thing I heard was that you aren't allowed to have anything in your lap for the first hour of all flights.

Which makes perfect since since this terrorist tried to set the bomb off in the LAST hour of the flight.

Americans are fucking retarded.

Supposedly it will be the first and last hours of the flight, but only for international flights.

JoeUser on
    edited December 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

Americans (read: Homeland security et al) are fucking retarded.

yet this has not been posted on TSA's site so this seems to be coming from specific airlines either because they're confused, or they are choosing to enforce the rule for their own reasons and implying the TSA is requiring it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It seems to me that the solution would be: hey, don't let people carry huge syringes on the plane.

I mean, that would help. It seems that our detection systems do fine against traditional detonators but people can still get a needle on board somehow.

Work out some controlled system for insulin/other medication users and.. go about your business?

Jasconius on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I realized something interesting today.
    If this guy had succeeded, the plane would've blown up over Ontario, more importantly, over orikae's house.
    I am glad the guy only succeeded in the wanton destruction of his junk.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited December 2009
    Uh oh

Two al Qaeda Leaders Behind Northwest Flight 253 Terror Plot Were Released by U.S.
    Two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007, according to American officials and Department of Defense documents. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the Northwest bombing in a Monday statement that vowed more attacks on Americans.

JoeUser on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Hahaha.

If only you guys could go through the employee, quick and dirty checkpoint. Although I swear I saw one get randomly searched the other day.

Sara Lynn on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Uh oh

Two al Qaeda Leaders Behind Northwest Flight 253 Terror Plot Were Released by U.S.
    Two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007, according to American officials and Department of Defense documents. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the Northwest bombing in a Monday statement that vowed more attacks on Americans.

it's that there dang Obama's fault!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited December 2009
    Uh oh

that's a terrible article
    the title is misleading because one has to question why they would have released two "known" terrorists into an "art therapy" program

and then the article mentions that al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attempted attack by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab as if it's directly related to the release of these two
    that whole article seems fishy

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Uh oh

it's that there dang Bush's fault!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Uh oh

that's a terrible article
    the title is misleading because one has to question why they would have released two "known" terrorists into an "art therapy" program

and then the article mentions that al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attempted attack by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab as if it's directly related to the release of these two
    that whole article seems fishy

That writer is paid per questionable leap of faith.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited December 2009
    Dutch to use full body scans for U.S. flights

t1largscannerafpgi.jpg
    Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport will begin using body scanners on all passengers taking flights to the United States following the attempted terrorist attack on a U.S.-bound flight on Christmas Day, the Dutch interior minister said Wednesday.

The millimeter-wave body scanners will be in place in about three weeks, Dutch Interior Minister Guusje ter Horst told a news conference at The Hague.

JoeUser on
    edited December 2009
    haven't they been using those in US airports too?

Abracadaniel on
    edited December 2009
    haven't they been using those in US airports too?

Yep! Though mostly for "secondary" searches
    Six of those machines, which are made by L-3 Communications Holdings Inc., are being used for what TSA calls "primary screenings" at six U.S. airports: Albuquerque, N.M.; Las Vegas; Miami; San Francisco; Salt Lake City; and Tulsa, Okla.

This means passengers go through the scans instead of a metal detector, although they can elect to receive a pat-down search from a security officer instead.

The remainder of the machines are being used at 13 U.S. airports for secondary screening of passengers who set off a metal detector: Atlanta; Baltimore/Washington; Denver; Dallas/Fort Worth; Indianapolis; Jacksonville and Tampa, Fla.; Los Angeles; Phoenix; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; Ronald Reagan Washington National; and Detroit. Travelers can opt for a pat-down instead in those instances as well.

JoeUser on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so i guess there's a mysterious van that's been parked in times square for a couple of days. the area's been cleared and the bomb squad is going in.

wooooo

satansfingers on
    edited December 2009
    so i guess there's a mysterious van that's been parked in times square for a couple of days. the area's been cleared and the bomb squad is going in.

wooooo

Over with already!

Times Square gets all-clear after van investigation
    Police concluded that a suspicious white van parked on Times Square posed no threat and reopened the flow of traffic that had temporarily been interrupted Wednesday.

Police blocked off a section of the famous square and evacuated some buildings as they investigated the vehicle, which had apparently been parked in the same spot for one or two days.

JoeUser on