As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] - Arenas and Wall: the next Bonnie and Clyde

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The NBA isn't the police. They suspended him because they don't think he's taking it seriously enough, in my opinion. If no law enforcement officials are pressing charges than it isn't up to the NBA to punish him. I will grant having the guns in the arena is against NBA policy, but suspending him without pay indefinitely for violating NBA policy seems a little overboard.

Edit: If you believe Gilly's version of the initial gun story, then I think his pregame actions make some sense (still stupid, but they make sense).

Cauld on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Not on league soil the Bubba. Remember what happened just by having a fight on league soil that made it into the stands?

I don't think the league soil is as big a deal as "during game, aka on TV." The brawl was on TV, so was the Nuggets-Knicks fight. Kobe's rape case, which was a much, much bigger deal than this, wasn't on TV and didn't result in a long suspension.

This Arenas thing wasn't on TV, and apparently wasn't even taped by someone's cellphone camera. There's no footage for ESPN to run for the next month if Arenas isn't suspended 30 games.

But Kobe dodged a suspension by bonking not on league soil. If it was "possible lockerroom rape allegations" then it would be on!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really guys? What do you think your boss would do if he found out you brought guns to work?

Depends on the legality of the situation and the company policy and how desperate they were to keep me.

In short, maybe nothing if they were unloaded and no laws were broken.

The NBA has a rule on it and the former murder capital of the world (DC) certainly has strict gun laws.
    Not on league soil the Bubba. Remember what happened just by having a fight on league soil that made it into the stands?

I don't think the league soil is as big a deal as "during game, aka on TV." The brawl was on TV, so was the Nuggets-Knicks fight. Kobe's rape case, which was a much, much bigger deal than this, wasn't on TV and didn't result in a long suspension.

This Arenas thing wasn't on TV, and apparently wasn't even taped by someone's cellphone camera. There's no footage for ESPN to run for the next month if Arenas isn't suspended 30 games.

The Kobe case can't even be used for comparison. The NBA can't suspend Kobe for something that allegedly happened, whereas Gilbert broke city laws and NBA rules.

Arenas hasn't been convicted of anything yet in regards to the guns.

And the NBA can definitely suspend Kobe, or any other player, for allegations if they feel like it. There's no right to play in the NBA.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They certainly can, but Arenas actually admitted to breaking a rule and acted like a douche. Kobe denied the allegations and took the accusations very seriously. I thought the NBA acted appropriately in both cases.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

But Kobe dodged a suspension by bonking not on league soil. If it was "possible lockerroom rape allegations" then it would be on!

Isaiah Thomas' sexual harassment case was on league soil, no suspension from what I remember.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They certainly can, but Arenas actually admitted to breaking a rule and acted like a douche. Kobe denied the allegations and took the accusations very seriously. I thought the NBA acted appropriately in both cases.

And Arenas is suspended and Kobe wasn't.

I'm not saying Arenas shouldn't be suspended, just that I don't think the suspension will be very big. I'm thinking somewhere from 5-15 games.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Isaiah Thomas' sexual harassment case was on league soil, no suspension from what I remember.

I'm still a little surprised by this.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Maybe they thought it was more punishment to let Isaiah keep coaching, listening to 20k New Yorkers chant "Fire Isaiah!" every night.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Maybe they thought it was more punishment to let Isaiah keep coaching, listening to 20k New Yorkers chant "Fire Isaiah!" every night.

Yea, I was going to guess that maybe they didn't want to hammer one of the league's bigger market franchises any more than the Knicks hit themselves.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shaq with 16 and 6 in 9 minutes against the wizards tonight.

wizards are completely done for the season if arenas is suspended for pretty much any length of time.

11 and 21, with a loss looming tonight.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The NBA either by policy or inclination usually waits for legal proceedings to finish before they suspend a player or don't. Unlike the NFL, allegations usually aren't enough.

The difference in this case is that Arenas has already admitted to violating league policy. Whether or not he faces any criminal charges, there's no doubt about what happened.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy crap on the last 5 and last .6 seconds in Boston Miami

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Holy crap on the last 5 and last .6 seconds in Boston Miami

And that's why the NBA is the best league on the planet.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What happened?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Great game on. Houston vs. Phoenix.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The NBA either by policy or inclination usually waits for legal proceedings to finish before they suspend a player or don't. Unlike the NFL, allegations usually aren't enough.

The difference in this case is that Arenas has already admitted to violating league policy. Whether or not he faces any criminal charges, there's no doubt about what happened.

It's also because Arenas wasn't taking it seriously, what with the whole Gun Fingaz! thing in pre-game warmups. Arenas' attitude probably pissed off Stern more than the original incident. In fact, the NBA has had Getty Images remove the Arenas pre-game photo from distribution. Too late as everybody already has it, but it shows how upset they are about Arenas' pre-game antics.

Further, Crittenton has not been suspended indefinitely despite reports that he loaded and cocked his gun. Arenas' guns were unloaded.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Further, Crittenton has not been suspended indefinitely despite reports that he loaded and cocked his gun. Arenas' guns were unloaded.

I think his suspension will come ... didn't the reports about the guns being loaded only surface today? Maybe now Stern will wait til the investigation is over to suspend Crittenton ... and if he is suspended, I'd say he is done in this league. Nobody will employ him ever again ...

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards took a serious look at voiding Arenas' contract.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

I think his suspension will come ... didn't the reports about the guns being loaded only surface today? Maybe now Stern will wait til the investigation is over to suspend Crittenton ... and if he is suspended, I'd say he is done in this league. Nobody will employ him ever again ...

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards took a serious look at voiding Arenas' contract.

To be fair, Crittenton was probably on his way out of the league already. It seems like he gets hurt a lot, and he's never impressive when he does play.

And I thought he could potentially be an All-Star when he came out of school. He has every ounce the physical talent of a Derrick Rose, but even in college was never able to put it together mentally. Just the fact that he went from 78% FT at Georgia Tech to 70% FT as a rookie to 60% FT last year is evidence that he just might not care.

In other news:
    At 11 a.m., a heated, expletive-filled exchange occurred between Blazers coach Nate McMillan and guard Andre Miller. The tirade lasted until 11:25 a.m.

Miller was not on the court when the media was allowed into practice.

Miller loudly disagreed with McMillan, at one point stating, "I ain't going to take this (stuff)."

McMillan later fired back: "You don't play the way we want to play."

http://www.columbian.com/weblogs/blazerbanter/2010/jan/07/tempers-flare-todays-blazer-practice/

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What happened?

This

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i love it
    without deron williams the jazz rack up 39 assists on 46 field goals against the grizzlies
    probably one of the most impressive games i have ever seen when it comes to passing

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also both williams and price could be injured going in to friday's game which means they will probabl start newly acquired sundiata gaines

guess they really did need 3 point guards

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nate McMillan is kind of awful at coaching unless everything goes perfectly as he envisions it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nate McMillan is kind of awful at coaching unless everything goes perfectly as he envisions it.

Miller's been playing well recently, though. He just had a 22 point, 16 assist game against the Clippers. He had 16 points and 10 assists through 3 quarters against Memphis, then gets benched for all but the last 9 seconds of the 4th. I'd be upset if I were Miller, too (and I don't like Andre Miller from when he was a Clipper).

Is Nate's vision that Miller should suck or something?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shouldn't they be driving up his trade value if they don't want him?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Miller's been playing well recently, though. He just had a 22 point, 16 assist game against the Clippers. He had 16 points and 10 assists through 3 quarters against Memphis, then gets benched for all but the last 9 seconds of the 4th. I'd be upset if I were Miller, too (and I don't like Andre Miller from when he was a Clipper).

Is Nate's vision that Miller should suck or something?

He's been playing well because Blake has been out and MacMillan has been forced to play him. He was spoiling for a reason to get Miller back on the bench as soon as he could so that he could justify putting Blake back in the starting spot.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He doesn't really fit the whole team atmosphere I guess. Shame cause he's really filled some gaps and put them back in some games lately.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He should have never been picked up. It always felt like they picked him just because they had free agent money and they couldn't bear to NOT spend it.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They have legit PG depth now I guess with Patty Mills coming up so they can ship him, the question is just will it be sooner rather than later.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So anybody see that Bobcats/Knicks game tonight?!

fortis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    He doesn't really fit the whole team atmosphere I guess. Shame cause he's really filled some gaps and put them back in some games lately.

Actually, there's still a huge gap in the Blazers rotation that Miller could fill. He's their best post-up player.

I don't understand this "Roy needs to play with a PG who never has the ball" philosophy that Portland seems to have. If Lebron can play with a PG who has the ball at times, Brandon Roy sure as heck can.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Actually, there's still a huge gap in the Blazers rotation that Miller could fill. He's their best post-up player.

I don't understand this "Roy needs to play with a PG who never has the ball" philosophy that Portland seems to have. If Lebron can play with a PG who has the ball at times, Brandon Roy sure as heck can.

Yeah that exactly what I'm talking about with his post up ability.

Roy doesn't need to play with a PG who never has the ball, Roy needs to play with a PG that offers a multifaceted threat to score as well as spit dimes. And another person who can spark and carry the team when the other guards are struggling is always welcome.

With Miller, I think it's a personality thing more than anything else.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    miller went from being one of the major pieces of a playoff franchise to being a reserve behind steve fucking blake
    they are lucky he doesn't bring guns to work

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »
    miller went from being one of the major pieces of a playoff franchise to being a reserve behind steve fucking blake

I'm not sure who expected him to start right away or replace Blake, cause that clearly wasn't going to happen.

He sits behind Bayless sometimes now.

Man I love Bayless.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    from what i understand they were looking at getting a veteran/solid starting point guard
    thats why they went after hinrich so hard

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »

I'm not sure who expected him to start right away or replace Blake, cause that clearly wasn't going to happen.

He sits behind Bayless sometimes now.

Man I love Bayless.

Pretty sure Prichard told him he was going to start. But McMillan is unable to adapt, so here we are.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't mind McMillan going. He's obviously got a ceiling and I think he's hit it.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But change is scary! They might take my Bayless away!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah that exactly what I'm talking about with his post up ability.

Roy doesn't need to play with a PG who never has the ball, Roy needs to play with a PG that offers a multifaceted threat to score as well as spit dimes. And another person who can spark and carry the team when the other guards are struggling is always welcome.

With Miller, I think it's a personality thing more than anything else.

That would seem to describe Miller perfectly. He can score, 14.5 pts career average, 17 and 16 pts averages the last 2 seasons. He can spark an offense, 7.3 ast career average and a league-leading 10.9 ast average in 2002.

I understand they'd like to have a guy who can spot up, but Iguodala was plenty successful playing alongside Miller. Roy's jumper is better than Iggy's and Iggy, like Roy, is plenty capable of distributing from the SG position.

I guess it must be a personality thing, because basketball-wise it seems like a good fit. Doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon, either.
    McMillan later revealed that Miller did not practice Thursday due to a sore back which he hurt during the Blazers' 105-89 home victory over the Golden State Warriors on Jan. 2.

McMillan added that he did not know if Miller would play Friday against the Los Angeles Lakers at the Rose Garden.

Benching's probably not gonna help. At home. Against the Lakers.

On the flip side, I hear Washington's looking for a PG.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Btw, he was great in that Jan 2 game.

Injuries lol.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One theory I've read that I believe is that Pritchard, knowing that this would be the last offseason for a few years that he would have significant cap space to play around with, signed Miller as more of a trade chip than anything. Roll the dice with him at PG (although a PG who needs the ball and can't spot up effectively was never going to play nicely with Roy and people said this at the time), and if it doesn't work out, there's always a market out there for veteran PGs.

Between Miller not meshing and Bayless obviously filling into the sparkplug/sixth man roll as a backup, I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Miller. Even during the season maybe, if they can get a serviceable center out of it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.