As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online Chromehounds no more

Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=292463
We regret to inform everyone that the Chromehounds online service will be closing on January 6, 2010. At this time, all online components for Chromehounds will no longer be accessible and the game will only be available for play in Offline modes.

This is crap, I just bought the game finally, go online to look stuff up about it, and find out this.

What about all the online only DLC (parts and such) that is going to become completely unusable?

What are your thoughts?

Steam ID - Fort1tude
Fort1tude on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You didn't miss much.

The game was a great idea that slammed into the Xbox live user base and shattered.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's the kind of thing that sucks, but is pretty much SOP. That's the one advantage PC games have over the consoles, for the most part.

Legba on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Surprised it lasted that long. I picked it up about a year after release and only about six people were playing online.

But for a game who's entire single player component plays like it's training for multiplayer gaming, it does suck.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You didn't miss much.

The game was a great idea that slammed into the Xbox live user base and shattered.

I lol'd hard.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Legba wrote: »
    It's the kind of thing that sucks, but is pretty much SOP. That's the one advantage PC games have over the consoles, for the most part.

Sort of. I mean the servers would still be there on the PC, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a wasteland shortly after release if there wasn't interest. Empty servers or shut down servers, either way it's pretty much a dead game.

That being said, I was in a fairly large group that played it for months after release, and it really was a fantastic game. It had some problems here and there with the damned Pile whores at time, but we went through a ton of cycles of the whole world war, and had a blast.

That being said, I can't see this game being nearly as interesting/fun/tense since the introduction of party chat.

Aoi on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does EA still sever the server list/matchmaking for their Sports titles when <Sports Title year+1> comes out? I remember a ruckus a while ago when they did it for ... 2007?

Too bad they took down the No One Lives Forever 1/2 server list when Vivendi merged.

Alegis on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Most fantastic ideas that could never be implemented effectively ever. I wish so hard that there was any way in the world to enforce the comm tech requirements.

Also, piledrivers, double doubles and artillery that was just impossible to counter.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It might as well have been offline for the past while anyway. I grabbed the game several months ago and tried every day to get online, but absolutely no one was ever playing.

Luckily, it was one of the games stolen when my house was broken into a few weeks ago.

Suckers!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really wished that this game would catch on, but it never really did. I had some fun though. So sad.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Reminds me of when Steel Battalion Line of Contact closed it's doors forever.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You didn't miss much.

I lol'd hard.

I was there for every moment of it. Every new gimmick and exploit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Reminds me of when Steel Battalion Line of Contact closed it's doors forever.

Still sitting in my basement. Love the game, shame the world war feature of that one didn't last either.

Aoi on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Does EA still sever the server list/matchmaking for their Sports titles when <Sports Title year+1> comes out? I remember a ruckus a while ago when they did it for ... 2007?
    Apparently they still do and they're closing down their SPORTS 09 titles on Feb 2nd.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apparently they still do and they're closing down their SPORTS 09 titles on Feb 2nd.

That shit is fucking ridiculous. I didn't buy it, but I would be PISSED if I had Madden '09, which came out in August '09, and discovered that the servers were coming down next month.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That shit is fucking ridiculous. I didn't buy it, but I would be PISSED if I had Madden '09, which came out in August '09, and discovered that the servers were coming down next month.

Madden 09 came out in August 2008.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A year and a half for online servers is still a little bit silly all in all.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A year and a half for online servers is still a little bit silly all in all.

I'd like to think that almost no one is playing it online anymore.

But I don't know.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be fair the game is like what, like four or more years old?

They did actually patch the double-double thing, the recoil was set so high that they were all but unusable on the inverted chasis. By then though, nobody cared. They could have reduced the splash and damage amount instead, but that would have made sense. Oh well, so long as they were gone right?

I had good times through with my squad, and frankly I haven't had this kind of fun in a game since. All that despite the pile whores, base dialers, double-double squads, and rampant boosting.

The single player campaign of chromehounds is terrible. It's just a weak lead-up to the neroimus war, which sadly can no longer happen. You can't even do local multiplayer versus or free for all.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

And is anyone really playing Madden 09 anymore? I'm sure the vast majority of people have moved on to 10. The online life of all but the most popular games is very short.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Poor kids. Who EA hates and wants to ruin their Christmas presents.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Only the Wii. Xbox1, and PSP Madden 09 servers were shut down. I'm willing to bet no one is going to be hurt by this.

Edit: Whoops, guess they took down the other ones for 09 as well. I'm willing to bet no good person will be hurt by this.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Neva wrote: »
    Only the Wii. Xbox1, and PSP Madden 09 servers were shut down. I'm willing to bet no one is going to be hurt by this.

Edit: Whoops, guess they took down the other ones for 09 as well. I'm willing to bet no good person will be hurt by this.
    The announcement I saw had the 360 and PS3 versions included. They were at the end of the list though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    oc2001oc2001 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I got this when it first came out and it was a lot of fun, although the game had its problems and connections troubles made things worse..

too bad to see it go.. but it has been around for awhile.

A cautionary tale for all those games that basically are worthless without a service..

oc2001 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

My bad.

You kids and your foosballs.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got Chromehounds used a few months ago, but could never find a game. I love mech sims and think I would have loved this game if I'd played it when it first came out. But as it is, I'm glad I only paid $5 for it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It really was a bunch of great ideas, hampered by the typically hostile (in terms of exploits and such) online environment that all games enter with multiplayer. On top of that, it was buggy and had various other issues and limitations that really could have been fixed (for all I know, they were, I guess), but likely too late to be much help.

Still, I'm glad to have gotten to play it online when it first came out. It was one of the first online games that I played a lot on my 360, and it was absolutely awesome to play with a bunch of cool people for epic mech battles. Perhaps Mechwarrior will come out and we'll forget about Chromehounds, but I'm still disappointed that it has dropped off so far that they are turning off the servers. It would have been nice if there was some sort of non-central-server-based multiplayer, though. I could see a small-but-dedicated group still playing the game today if it had that.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was more interested in the discussion of how awesome it is that digital content bought with real money can become unusable. Which is the case here.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    I was more interested in the discussion of how awesome it is that digital content bought with real money can become unusable. Which is the case here.

When no one uses it anymore, no one is really hurt. There are a lot of things that become useless over time. Also, didn't it have single player? Might of not been the main draw, but it's still there.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    They put up a notice that they were gonna shut it down ages ago.

Also you can use the DLC for single player.

Sega wanted a persistent worlds though.. if it had just been normal matchmaking it'd still be up. I've never seen persistent world games in non-MMOs sustain themselves. I remember the "World Domination" mode in Tiberian Sun, nobody played it and it didn't work half the time.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the Chrome Hound designs looked AWFUL.

Ya know, compared to, like... BattleMechs.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The brilliance was in that you could design it however you wanted. I remember making some random Hound that had the cockpit way in the back behind a giant array of weapons. Basically, if this thing was real, there would be no way to actually pilot it because you couldn't see anything because your own Hound was blocking your view. Wasn't very practical. But I did love the customization the game afforded.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The brilliance was in that you could design it however you wanted. I remember making some random Hound that had the cockpit way in the back behind a giant array of weapons. Basically, if this thing was real, there would be no way to actually pilot it because you couldn't see anything because your own Hound was blocking your view. Wasn't very practical. But I did love the customization the game afforded.

Actually the best designs put the cockpit behind armor and weapons. This gives you the advantage of not getting killed by one well-placed shot by someone with four linked cannons or sniper rifles. Piloting visibility is provided by a camera, which I believe was attached to your first weapon.

I made some inverted chasis mechs that looked pretty sweet. Of course they didn't look as nice as some japanese anime robot artwork, but they were good nonetheless.

And yes, some of the purchased DLC weapons (double double) became useless. That gun was so ridiculously overpowered for so long though, everyone got their money's worth.

Farewell Chromehouds, nothing but fond memories here. I honestly hope they make a sequel.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Party chat didn't kill this game, but it was the final nail in the coffin. I was always rooting for Chromehounds, I'll miss it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's pretty stupid that there's a new full-price version of each sports games each year anyway.

Also, the only real reason to shut the servers down is to promote sales of the new version. It doesn't really matter if the game is 2, 4, or 6 years old or whatever. Does anyone really think EA loses money by hosting the six people that might still play Madden 2007 or whatever?

I'm not saying they aren't in their rights as a company to do so but there is something drastically wrong - in an ethical sense - with the way they milk their sports franchises. Not that I really care that much since I don't play them. The last standard sports game I bought was NFL2K for the Dreamcast.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really wish they would make Chromehounds 2 with no world war and normal match making. I <3 Chromehounds far more than Armored Core. The game was a blast around release and even later on if you could get even a small crew together to play.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Sega wanted a persistent worlds though.. if it had just been normal matchmaking it'd still be up. I've never seen persistent world games in non-MMOs sustain themselves. I remember the "World Domination" mode in Tiberian Sun, nobody played it and it didn't work half the time.

Last time I logged on (right before MW2 dropped), the persistent world thing was killing Endwar for 360, too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chromehounds was the first 360 game I bought. I played it with two of my roommates for a while; it was awesome, but even near release we ran into piledrivers constantly.

I do remember some awesome matches though. The panicked feeling of seeing two mechs in the distance firing artillery, yelling at my sniper to hurry the hell up and get line of sight to push them back before we get shelled to pieces. The night missions where you couldn't see a damn thing till someone shot a flare, and then the town would light up with tracer fire and explosions...

They better fucking make another one.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I played Chromehound. The game really began to suck once everybody started using 'Double Double'

Basically it was a pair of legs with 2 double barrel artillery cannons that an accurate lay down fire freaking kilometers away and utterly destroy mechs in a few salvos.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    schmads wrote: »
    Perhaps Mechwarrior will come out and we'll forget about Chromehounds, but I'm still disappointed that it has dropped off so far that they are turning off the servers.

You might be interested in Mechwarrior: Living Legends in the meantime.

Ignore the Marilyn Manson. Well worth clicking the link and watching in HD instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPI25xv8mes

And a short perspective from an Elemental. Ignore crappy staticy sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr3lY4-t4Ec

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    Chromehounds was the first 360 game I bought. I played it with two of my roommates for a while; it was awesome, but even near release we ran into piledrivers constantly.

I do remember some awesome matches though. The panicked feeling of seeing two mechs in the distance firing artillery, yelling at my sniper to hurry the hell up and get line of sight to push them back before we get shelled to pieces. The night missions where you couldn't see a damn thing till someone shot a flare, and then the town would light up with tracer fire and explosions...

They better fucking make another one.

Man, I remember the same type of thing. We were getting schooled online (hadn't hit any of the terrible cheaty builds yet), so we decided to do some free-for-alls with just us to practice different builds. About four matches in, I was the first of us to think, "Huh, what if I made a fast little guy and put like 10 of these piledrivers on? That'd be annoying and silly!" We had a laugh about it, but even then we felt the cold, horrible realization growing.

We never got into a match after that where the enemy team wasn't set up to sneak in two stealth piledrivers and blast the base as fast as possible.

Darkewolfe on