As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hot Dual screen action (DS games)

Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Bought a DS lite on sale this Christams to play with co-workers (Mario Kart) on break but I NEED MORE GAMES! I know I'm late into the DS life, what's good?

Previous games I like for PS3 are action (uncharted 1/2, infamous, god of war coll., ass. creed) and platformers (littlebigplanet, lego games) and rpg (folklore, final fantasy 12, eternal sonata)

Options)
1) is Super Mario 64 is it more than just remake / worth getting? (still have the 64 version and 100% it)
2) New super mario brothers like the wii version? Already have it for wii
3) Chrono Trigger? How bad is reading on the small screen?
3)?????
4) Profit! or in this case, FUN

Thanks

Gilbert0 on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Skip all of those games that you've played before and go directly to DS exclusives like The World Ends With You, Professor Layton and the (insert one of the two games available in NA here), Phantasy Star Zero, and Scribblenauts.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Chrono Trigger works fine on the DS, and if you just want an RPG to carry around Id recommend it. I cant speak for the Mario games on the DS, but Kirby Superstar is a decent amount of fun (it is the carbon copy of the SNES version with a few addons)

Hahnsoo is right about looking for games you haven't played yet, You can also take advantage of your advanced slot and Get the Metriod games from the last generation.

Iruka on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    New SMB DS came out before the Wii game, it's a lot of fun but (from what I hear) not as challenging as the new Wii game.

Harry Hatsworth is a truly masterful puzzle/platformer.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kingdom hearts is sooo fun on it. Disgaea, advanced wars, fire emblem (seconding) kirby

i have chrono trigger and it is easy to read and is also awesome

seriously though kingdom hearts is a must

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well I thought platformer = mario so which is why I thought those.

Glad ChronoTrigger is ok to read. Pick that up and maybe Harry Hatsworth, looks interesting. Then The world ends with you (more square enix, yes please!) kingdom hearts, shit I need more time....

Thanks all, and now I've got another system to get a backlog on (ps3, wii already).

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The World Ends With You.

The game is a coagulation of multiple types of gameplay hooks and has no business being as fun or as good as it is. Yet somehow the thing is freaking awesome and you should save the re-released RPG's for after you have played this.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In my opinion, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is the best game for the DS

Qorzm on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Qorzm wrote: »
    In my opinion, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is the best game for the DS

Only if you aren't counting the Phoenix Wright games for some reason

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is amazing fun. Buy it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Action: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

RPG: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Games I loved
    Chrono trigger.
    both zelda games
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (both of em)

Average
    FFIII
    FFIV
    Dragon Quest 4
    New Super Mario Brothers

Piss Poor
    Indiana Jones
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    Ninja Gaiden

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never played a Metroid or a new castlevania until i picked up order of ecclesia. I'm almost finished with it and I really had a great time. took me 10 hours to get to dracula, I went back and did some optional grinding and quests and now i just have to finish the journey to dracula and the big man himself... i think. Also, pokemon

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you can find Kirby: Canvas Curse then it will make you revel both in the touch control style and pretty pretty rainbows more than anything else, but short of that Elite Beat Agents is awesome in so many ways. It's a rhythm game that's both hilarious and epic.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    List of games, and details:

RPGS
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days: Really, only get it if you're a Kingdom Hearts fan. It's good but it's definitely made for the fans.
    The World Ends With You: Good game but goes along the lines of a square RPG. Maybe read a review or watch a video of some of the gameplay to decide if you like it.
    Final Fantasy 3 or 4: Good games (3 less so), but again, fan games, not recommended if you're new to the series or don't like the series (Especially 4, it's basically crazy insane hard mode).
    Chrono Trigger: Plays like the classic, no issues reading it, really. You get extra screen room since all the menus can be placed on the lower screen as well. There's bonus content at the end but it's not too original.
    Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum(?): If you like the series you'll like these ones. Classic gym stuff, interesting graphics, online trading and wierd sense of style. Really? A beret?
    Pokemon Explorer Games: There's like...4 of these? If you like dungeon crawlers like Chocobo's Dungeon you'll probably like this, otherwise it can get tedious fast.
    Mario & Luigi: Partner's in Time and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: If you've played Superstar Saga for the GBA you'll probably like these although Partner's in Time is definitely lower on the scale for the series by popular vote. Like any Mario RPG there are timed hits, abilities which require button presses, reduced damage (or in this case, dodging altogether) and lots of humour.

Puzzle:
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Good if you like puzzles, specifically brain teasers. Nice story as well.
    Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box: Not played it but from what I've heard it's like the first one, but with new puzzles and story (of course).
    Scribblenauts: Interesting concept, summon anything (noun, not copyrighted, not innapproriate, no names for the most part) to get your little character to the Starite to pass a stage. Controls can be wonky at times and your little dude often has a death wish but good if you have patience, are fond of innovation or just like messing around with sandbox games.

Other:
    Phoenix Wright games: Play as a defense lawyer and proove your clients innocence. Each game has approximately 4 cases. You run around doing your own private investigation at first (I know I know, not classic defense attorney, it makes it interesting) picking up clues and talking to locals for information then you enter the court room and cross examine witnesses to find lies in their testimonies and uncover the truth. Great storyline for each game. Recommended you play in order. Low replayability though.

Platformer:
    New Super Mario Bros: Plays like the Wii version but single player only (although there are multiplayer games). Kind of easy but fun nonetheless.
    Yoshi's Island DS: Plays a lot like the old classic Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. You have several different babies with different powers though. The difficulty goes to 11 on some levels and a few of them are quite long. Standard mario plot.

Adventure:
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: If you like Zelda games you may like this. If you've never played a Zelda game you may like this. Opinions are in the air. Youtube some of the gameplay and see if it interests you.
    Zelda: Spirit Tracks: Same engine as Phantom Hourglass, if you like PH you'll probably like this game too.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sipex wrote: »
    List of games, and details:
    RPGS
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days: Really, only get it if you're a Kingdom Hearts fan. It's good but it's definitely made for the fans.
    The World Ends With You: Good game but goes along the lines of a square RPG. Maybe read a review or watch a video of some of the gameplay to decide if you like it.
    Final Fantasy 3 or 4: Good games (3 less so), but again, fan games, not recommended if you're new to the series or don't like the series (Especially 4, it's basically crazy insane hard mode).
    Chrono Trigger: Plays like the classic, no issues reading it, really. You get extra screen room since all the menus can be placed on the lower screen as well. There's bonus content at the end but it's not too original.
    Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum(?): If you like the series you'll like these ones. Classic gym stuff, interesting graphics, online trading and wierd sense of style. Really? A beret?
    Pokemon Explorer Games: There's like...4 of these? If you like dungeon crawlers like Chocobo's Dungeon you'll probably like this, otherwise it can get tedious fast.
    Mario & Luigi: Partner's in Time and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: If you've played Superstar Saga for the GBA you'll probably like these although Partner's in Time is definitely lower on the scale for the series by popular vote. Like any Mario RPG there are timed hits, abilities which require button presses, reduced damage (or in this case, dodging altogether) and lots of humour.

Puzzle:
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Good if you like puzzles, specifically brain teasers. Nice story as well.
    Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box: Not played it but from what I've heard it's like the first one, but with new puzzles and story (of course).
    Scribblenauts: Interesting concept, summon anything (noun, not copyrighted, not innapproriate, no names for the most part) to get your little character to the Starite to pass a stage. Controls can be wonky at times and your little dude often has a death wish but good if you have patience, are fond of innovation or just like messing around with sandbox games.

Other:
    Phoenix Wright games: Play as a defense lawyer and proove your clients innocence. Each game has approximately 4 cases. You run around doing your own private investigation at first (I know I know, not classic defense attorney, it makes it interesting) picking up clues and talking to locals for information then you enter the court room and cross examine witnesses to find lies in their testimonies and uncover the truth. Great storyline for each game. Recommended you play in order. Low replayability though.

Platformer:
    New Super Mario Bros: Plays like the Wii version but single player only (although there are multiplayer games). Kind of easy but fun nonetheless.
    Yoshi's Island DS: Plays a lot like the old classic Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. You have several different babies with different powers though. The difficulty goes to 11 on some levels and a few of them are quite long. Standard mario plot.

Adventure:
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: If you like Zelda games you may like this. If you've never played a Zelda game you may like this. Opinions are in the air. Youtube some of the gameplay and see if it interests you.
    Zelda: Spirit Tracks: Same engine as Phantom Hourglass, if you like PH you'll probably like this game too.

AWESOME. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a ton :mrgreen:

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Piss Poor
    Ninja Gaiden
    I'm going to have to disagree strongly on this one. I was skeptical when I picked it up for cheap, but the controls are surprisingly intuitive and it looks pretty damn good for a DS game too.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GTA:CW seems like a very "love it/hate it" game. I've seen it on a lot of "Best DS games of the year" lists, but I've also seen a lot of people not liking it at all.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rocket Slime is the best DS game.
    Go get it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot assessments on Rocket Slime, Brain Age and Kirby

Rocket Slime: Spinoff game of the Dragon Quest series, oddly enough, you don't need to even like dragon quest to enjoy it as it has a seperate universe. You play a slime, named rocket and you go through stages ramming into things by pulling yourself like an elastic. You also collect items, citizens and even monsters and send them on conveyor belts back to town for you to access later. The controls are fairly easy in field mode and it's all real time, no RPG stuff here.
    There are also giant robot battles where you recruit a team of 3 from what is currently available to you, each member having their own specialties from loading the cannons, healing your units, killing intruders or intruding themselves. These battles take place with you running around inside your mech collecting ammo of all types and blasting your enemy and any incoming attacks. You can even fire yourself at the enemy mech or cross the ground between the two to invade and cause havoc.
    Some parts are a bit repetative but overall good game.

Kirby Super Star Ultra
    Basically Kirby Super Star for the SNES with a couple extra games added in (harder games) and different minigames. Co-op play isn't as easy as before unfortunately but it's still fun nonetheless.

Brain Age
    The must get game according to Nintendo.
    It focuses on you doing tests quickly and accurately to assess and improve your brain power. Also has a full blown Suduku mode which the game pretty much came down to me after I got bored of doing brain tests every damned day. Sometimes the numbers drawn on screen don't register properly but for the most part it's okay. Dr what's his face (the head) will guilt trip you if you miss a day of brain training though.

Sipex on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The castlevania games.
    castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow-20051003114238953.jpg

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've not played them unfortunately so that screenshot will have to suffice.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Brain Age sudoku is pretty great. For the handwritten numbers, the only problem I had was with the number 4 - draw it like a curvy lower case "y" (or a "u" with a tail) and it'll register as 4 every time.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I just got my DS Lite back from my brother over Christmas and picked up Scribblenauts maybe an hour ago. I can't stop playing. At work. Sometimes it's more fun to fail the missions than it is to get them right (i.e. Failing to reunite a girl with her kitten because a T-Rex has eaten it!).

I would give it some thumbs up. I can't do the same for Animal Crossing, unless you enjoy indentured servitude.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just got my DS Lite back from my brother over Christmas and picked up Scribblenauts maybe an hour ago. I can't stop playing. At work. Sometimes it's more fun to fail the missions than it is to get them right (i.e. Failing to reunite a girl with her kitten because a T-Rex has eaten it!).

I would give it some thumbs up. I can't do the same for Animal Crossing, unless you enjoy indentured servitude.

When you can manage to win while still technically losing it gets even better.

For example, reuniting the girl with her cat by burning down her house.

Sipex on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

Brilliant.

Another reason to get Scribblenauts!

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Definitely second Rocket Slime. I bought it a couple of years ago on a trip and played it non-stop until I finished it. I broke it out again this Christmas just to try it again, and ended up playing it non-stop again. By the end it starts to feel repetitive, but in the meantime it's a lot of fun.

I'll also throw in a recommendation for the Lost in Blue games, specifically 2 or 3. They're not for everybody, but I really like them. In each of them you wash up on the shore of a tropical island and have to tend to your survival (finding food and water, building shelter, etc) while exploring the island. Worth checking out, at least.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I second the Phantom Hourglass. I'm not a Zelda fan, never played the other games, but the gameplay in it is seriously topnotch and I don't feel like I missed out with it. I enjoyed the use of the touchscreen, mic, duel screens and that sort of thing.
    It's all very nifty.

For some reason, I also found the Viva Pinata game for DS strangely addictive. But its not adventure at all. Just decorating really.
    But then you get to kill pinatas!

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, how much you get out of Scribblenauts is directly related to how much creativity you have.

It gets props in my book for being the first game I've ever played that will let you roofie a shark.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Second the Castlevania recommendations. I played through Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow a few months back, enjoyed both quite a bit. Haven't gotten around to the third (Order of Ecclesia?) quite yet, but it's certainly on my list.

If you like turn-based strategy RPGs a la Final Fantasy Tactics, you might enjoy Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, as well. It mixes some of your standard strategy RPG fare in with SMT's wacky demons and apocalyptic setting, and isn't too terribly hard like some other SMT games (although going for the best ending can be, but YMMV).

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png