As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wargames similar to Warhammer

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have always been interested in Warhammer and would love to have my own army, just that, I know absolutely no one that would play and or would want to invest hundreds of dollars into getting into it (or buying multiple armies for people to come over and play against).

So I am looking for something similar to Warhammer, in which has a selection of armies that is relatively reasonable to get into and I can easily just bust open and play with some friends.

One of my friends, went the Heroscape route and it has gone well, but looking for something different beyond just buying more of that.

Any suggestions?

precisionk on

• Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Warmachine/Hordes is a lot of fun.

I used to play all the time but I hopped on the 40k bandwagon recently because i made some new friends who play.

The rules are more streamlined than WH and each army doesn't have its own codex either. Miniatures are pewter - be prepared for drilling and pinning when you assemble, buy a dremel.

Distram on
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Brikwars

Better than Warhammer because Armies are super customizable and terrain is fully destructible in ways you can't even begin to imagine.

And it's one of the few war games where you can actually watch units be ripped to pieces before your very eyes.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It should be noted that Warmachine and Hordes are getting their 2nd edition soon. Warmachines in the next few weeks, Hordes At some point in 2010(Hordes MK2 is still in testing). Until then, Privateer Press has the Warmachine MK2 rules in ugly PDF form for free here. The book will look much prettier. ;-)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arcane Legions is not the greatest game, but it matches the affordability clause. The starter set comes with two armies, so you'd have an easy base to (double) expand from.

Do you not live anywhere near a FLGS?

admanb on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Conflict of Heroes is pretty good, it's a eurogame wargame. I currently own Storms of Steel and it's very cleverly made.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Arcane Legions is not the greatest game, but it matches the affordability clause. The starter set comes with two armies, so you'd have an easy base to (double) expand from.

Nearest is some 15-20 miles out. I prefer to play with close friends then with strangers as well as my initial thinking that the only people that would be at said place would be some 14-17 year olds (25 myself), but I probably am wrong on that part.

precisionk on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    precisionk wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Nearest is some 15-20 miles out. I prefer to play with close friends then with strangers as well as my initial thinking that the only people that would be at said place would be some 14-17 year olds (25 myself), but I probably am wrong on that part.

Warmachine/Hordes is a good bet if you're worried about 14-17 y/os. So is Warhammmer. You're only really in danger if you play 40k.

admanb on