As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

China continues to be a Champion of Human Rights

• bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    illness schmillness

bongi on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    more evidence that stephen harper is literally the worst

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2009/12/30/parliament-prorogation-harper.html

It just wouldn't be the holidays without Harper proroguing Parliament.

As Canadian as Tim Hortons and hockey.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    it just seems like they did a lousy job of trying to prove he was mentally ill

kind of like they thought it up after he was detained

like maybe he wasn't actually diagnosed and they brought someone in to try and convince them that he was

but to be clear, I do agree that China's punishment is very harsh for the crime
    however I don't really see how my opinion on the matter is going to matter to them or anyone else

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Whether or not the claim is a load of shit, China are being a bunch of horsefuckers

still, if he wasn't mentally ill (which I'm really starting to doubt) then he was just colossally stupid to be smuggling drugs into China when it's well known what the punishment is, and I would have little sympathy for someone that stunningly stupid

so off with his head for smuggling 3kg of heroin then

good good

in a country that's quite open and honest about that being the penalty, yes from a practical standpoint you are getting what you deserve for being so stunningly stupid

it's not like he was executed for smuggling refugees out of the country
    I do agree that the punishment seems harsh to me, but it's no secret that this is the punishment for the crime
    so it's pretty fucking easy to avoid it by...NOT SMUGGLING DRUGS INTO CHINA

Wait, from what I can tell from the article he had no idea he was smuggling drugs.

Granted you don't very well take strange luggage at an airport but it's already been established he wasn't the sharpest tool

You're acting like he was just given a bag of heroin and told "take this to China"

many of the articles are intimating that yes, he was aware except it was take this to China and we'll make you a pop star

Usagi on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    will I fucking hate you for making this thread

PiptheFair on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    china is so cool, apple bans dalai lama apps from the china app store

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yellow fever

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009
    yif you know what I'm talking about

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yiffin

Meissnerd on
    edited December 2009
    pika pika

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2009
    pharezon is chiding me in steam about my opinions on the matter
    but it's cool, I'm still cool with him and look forward to killing zombies/survivors with him in the future

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the Chinese embassy's statement

"The amount of heroin he brought into China was 4,030g, enough to cause 26,800 deaths"

Well when you put it like that the man was a murderer!

bongi on
    edited December 2009
    jerkcity4000.gif

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon must be crushed.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited December 2009
    bongi wrote: »

"The amount of heroin he brought into China was 4,030g, enough to cause 26,800 deaths"

that is pretty goddamn ridiculous

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The quote on the front page is so drenched in arrogance, it's incredible. We need a Chinese villain in the next Bond movie, enough with these French and Russian guys.

Also, if they're saying it's enough to cause x number of deaths and that's justification, what do they do if you're caught with a gun with a full clip? Ooh, thirteen bullets, that's over a dozen murder charges.

lunaris on
    edited December 2009

that is pretty goddamn ridiculous

They did studies.

What else do you do with all those political prisoners?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    speaking of, dru

you down for some L4D sometime soon?

(also man learning to type on my new keyboard is all brlalraugh)

Abracadaniel on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    edited December 2009

Well when you put it like that the man was a murderer!

later, in an ironic twist of fate, china used that heroin to kill 26800 Buddhists who protested the mans execution

PiptheFair on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    heroin laced bullets

Faricazy on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.reprieve.org.uk/akmalshaikh/
    Akmal had a lifelong history of very strange behaviour, and Reprieve uncovered vital evidence that he suffered from an extremely serious mental condition.

A preliminary medical report by clinical psychologist Dr Peter Schaapveld suggests that the odd decisions leading up to Akmal’s offence were most likely influenced by some form of delusional psychosis.
    Akmal's first appeal which was heard by the District Court in Urumqi on Tuesday 26 May; has been denied, as was his appeal to the Supreme People's Court. At no point was his mental health considered, despite the best efforts of his lawyers. The Chinese courts repeatedly refused to allow Akmal to be assessed by a psychiatrist.

The most important issue in the case is Akmal’s mental health. The Chinese authorities originally indicated a willingness to allow him to be assessed by a local doctor, but the court subsequently refused. Reprieve immediately sought permission for British psychologist Dr Schaapveld to see Akmal, and paid for him to fly to China - where he too was inexplicably refused access.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    A mother from Colorado who doctors said had died while giving birth to her son, has said it is a Christmas miracle that both she and the boy are alive.

HRraaghh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8435457.stm

bongi on
  • lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think they used those in Nam

lunaris on
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    speaking of, dru

I would love to play some vs or scav tonight if we can get people together

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Heroin found to cure most diseases, a few kilos saves millions

Fugitive on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man. This sounds weird.

Alright, so, the Chinese executed a guy smuggling heroin.

The family claims said guy was mentally ill.

Said family does not monitor the mans actions, as he takes a strangers suitcase into a foreign country. If that was indeed what happened.

Shouldn't the family monitor him, or pay for someone to watch him so he doesn't do this kind of stuff if he is mentally ill?

Maybe I'm just way too tired for this kind of stuff.

Burning Organ on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    speaking of, dru

I would love to play some vs or scav tonight if we can get people together

yaaaay

Abracadaniel on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    Pharezon must be crushed.

i fully support this measure, but i fear the people of afghanistan will get to him first

Nuzak on
    edited December 2009
    Man. This sounds weird.

Said family does not monitor the mans actions, as he takes a strangers suitcase into a foreign country. If that was indeed what happened.

Shouldn't the family monitor him, or pay for someone to watch him so he doesn't do this kind of stuff if he is mentally ill?

if he only had some bootstraps

PiptheFair on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Akmal had a lifelong history of very strange behaviour, and Reprieve uncovered vital evidence that he suffered from an extremely serious mental condition.

A preliminary medical report by clinical psychologist Dr Peter Schaapveld suggests that the odd decisions leading up to Akmal’s offence were most likely influenced by some form of delusional psychosis.
    Akmal's first appeal which was heard by the District Court in Urumqi on Tuesday 26 May; has been denied, as was his appeal to the Supreme People's Court. At no point was his mental health considered, despite the best efforts of his lawyers. The Chinese courts repeatedly refused to allow Akmal to be assessed by a psychiatrist.

The most important issue in the case is Akmal’s mental health. The Chinese authorities originally indicated a willingness to allow him to be assessed by a local doctor, but the court subsequently refused. Reprieve immediately sought permission for British psychologist Dr Schaapveld to see Akmal, and paid for him to fly to China - where he too was inexplicably refused access.

The actions of the Chinese government sound much more fishy than the actions of the family trying to prove that their father had a mental illness.

Fugitive on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

The actions of the Chinese government sound much more fishy than the actions of the family trying to prove that their father had a mental illness.

and yet do you see them trying to smuggle drugs past the clearly marked "no smuggling" sign? no sir

Nuzak on
    edited December 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Man. This sounds weird.

if he only had some bootstraps

I'm not saying you need to keep 24 hour guard over him or anything, but if he is mentally ill how the hell does he manage to leave the country?

Burning Organ on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't really understand why the British government are making such a big deal out it

It is pretty obvious that China does not and never will give a shit

bongi on
    edited December 2009
    I don't really understand why the British government are making such a big deal out it

I think it's less about trying to make China care and more about appearing that they're trying to make China care to appease their citizens

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    I mean they couldn't even be bothered to send someone important to Copenhagen

The British government getting upset at them is like a disgruntled fly

bongi on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009

I think it's less about trying to make China care and more about appearing that they're trying to make China care to appease their citizens

You appear to be predicating an inappropriate amount self-knowledge to the British government

bongi on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited December 2009
    If project reality has taught me anything about a fictional conflict between the British and the Chinese is that I like the optics on the Chinese assault rifles more.

I think that's all it taught me.

Burning Organ on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009
    bongi what're your elections looking like

is it gonna be a tory win or a tory land-slide.

well because of the GLORIOUS FIRST PAST THE POST system

it's probably going to be a land-slide

i'd rather have four more years of labour than the tories in power

bongi on