As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamer Karma

ThrillaGorillaThrillaGorilla Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
This is my first OP, but I have had a few things in happen in the past week or so that has made me think a lot harder about karma. I want to hear other's stories about a time that a good deed has come full circle and been returned. Or maybe the opposite, where you were screwed over after doing something evil to another. Hopefully my two stories will explain what I mean further.

I'll begin with a story of the best case of myself getting what I deserved (and then some). It was late '97 or early '98 and I'm 16 at the time. I am obsessed with UO at this point, probably putting in more than 5 hours a day while working on getting into college and working at CompUSA. A guy I knew from the game had found a new way to scam people for money. It involved the fake sale of a house deed (at this point you could not resell house deeds and land was hard to come by for a larger house). I gained nothing in the transaction, but I did not stop it from going through. As luck would happen the player that got scammed knew another friend (I think his name was Bobble) of mine. Being the empathetic player I was, I explained to Bobble what had happened, and promised to help his friend recoup the losses. I even went so far as to transfer my L-shaped two story house to Bobble so his friend would have a home base. I log off and go about my business until the next night. I am over at a coworker's place and boot up UO...to find my character locked out of "my" house. Bobble sent me a scathing email explaining why he did what he did and that was the last I heard of him. At this time in my life I thought my world was crashing down, but maybe I deserved it.

The second story has a much happier ending, and is much more recent. About two weeks ago a friend of mine (who I coincidentally met around the time of the last story, through a mutual friend, and got me started on UO) had a very expensive Roor "water pipe" break because of a drunk friend. (Note: This story is not about drugs, everyone has a different opinion, let's leave it at that) I organized a surprise for him, because he has always been a very good friend, and he deserved the gesture. I threw in $100 and got six of our friends to throw in $20 each and replaced his broken piece for him. He was pretty overwhelmed, and it was a "feel good" thing to do for the rest of us. An hour ago I get a call from the same friend. His mom lives in a small town about an hour away and found the last Wii in stock at Wal-Mart. As it turns out, my friend just doesn't want to buy one yet, but his mom already purchased it. He called to tell me I could go hand his mom a check for the price she paid and have it. After unsuccessfully looking for a Wii since the system dropped I have one practically fall into my lap. He has closer friends, but called me because of what I put together for a belated Christmas gift. I don't know if karma gets much sweeter than this.

So let's hear it. Your good and your bad. Maybe you took the time to help that newbie years ago, and now are "in" with the server's most powerful player. Or maybe you happen to get the waiter you told, "You should have preordered!" to a few hours ago and now your food tastes funny.

ThrillaGorilla on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The second story isn't really karma; it's a favour being returned.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I jumped on a bad guy in Sonic once, then another bad guy made me drop all my rings...

I'm not sure where this is going.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ThrillaGorillaThrillaGorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The second story isn't really karma; it's a favour being returned.

Right, and the song "Ironic" contains monstly coincidences. I'm not looking to discuss the semantics of karma, just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. I know a lot of the posters here work retail. Maybe there are stories about an especially problematic customer that "got theirs" in the end. If not this thread will die quickly like so many mediocre threads before it :wink:

ThrillaGorilla on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is probably one of the dumbest threads ever. Where's a mod when you need one?

Esh on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    This is probably one of the dumbest threads ever. Where's a mod when you need one?

If this is all you have to contribute, of course it'll be a dumb thread.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was hoping this thread was going to be about some new online system that punishes assholes.

For example, you go into a game of Gears of War and fuck a match up and then later your favorite Pinata gets cancer and dies.

I just hate online mongloids.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think it's kind of an interesting idea for a thread, but no applicable stories really stick out in my head.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    when I was fifteen or so I stole my friends Diablo II account and split up all his items with the rest of my friends. Oh we were so happy, laughing about our new items and how much we could use them.

my punishment is I'm 20 and have never been close to getting laid.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Um, so once all I got were blocks in tetris, and then I got the long one.

Does that count?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    when I was fifteen or so I stole my friends Diablo II account and split up all his items with the rest of my friends. Oh we were so happy, laughing about our new items and how much we could use them.

This is what this thread is all about.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:

You stole... your friend's account, and split his items up.

Your friend.

Well you're obviously an asshole, or at least don't have much of a sense of empathy or care for the consequences of your actions. Shouldn't women be throwing themselves all over you, to change you, at your age?

I mean, it should take another 10 years for them to wise up and leave you to either change or have an empty life. It really must be karma.

In my case, while it's probably not really karma, I do spend a lot of time just helping guildies out in the MMO I play. Like, probably 40% of my online time. During this last Christmas event, I made an absolutely ridiculous amount of in game moneys, and then was able to spend it on a piece of equipment I've been looking for since like September. Maybe it was karma, maybe not... I am, actually, usually quite an ass to people outside my guild who ask me for help - albeit mostly because they usually ask in uncapitalized shorthand. Saying "heal pls" instead of "Heal me." actually costs you a chance of success with me. Not sure I'd comply in the latter case, either, though.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Gold plz" usually ends up with a "Get a fucking job hippy. Try mining." from me.

Maybe it's just the way mom brought me up, but I tend to approach things from a fairly 1940s British stereotype point of view. Queen and Country, Honour and Duty, Stiff Upper Lipâ„¢ and all that rot. Don't ninja, play your role, have fun - don't fuck it up for the other guy. Maybe I'm just a-feared that karma will come callin', maybe it's just the right thing to do. I'm sure that folks have a blast griefing - but I don't derive any satisfaction from the process or the idea of it.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My brother used to guess people's passwords in Diablo 2. It was amazing how many people had a linear pattern of numbers "12345," their username with some numbers on the end, i.e. KillerMan's password is Killerman1 or their username reversed. He would even play with a person for an evening or an entire week, get to know them and slip in questions that mined information, like family members, national origin, favorite stuff, etc and then use that information to crack their password.

I unwittingly held a lot of his ill gotten gains on my mules, but by the time I realized what was happening we both stopped playing Diablo 2 anyway.

I'm doing fine, but bro is on his fourth X-Box 360 and has had to buy two Best Buy PRP's.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One time a very close guildmate of mine in UO utterly betrayed me. He was friended to my house, had access to all of my chests. I knew him for a long time. He had been friended for a long time. One day, he decided to take every single rare and all of the checks and resources I had stored in my chests. He left me pretty close to broke and took everything that wasn't locked down. Basically all of my status symbols.

Later, I heard that he hurt his knee and lost out on a college scholarship.

haha.

Oh Karma, you nut.

Ludious on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ITT judgment

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kainy wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Your friend.

Well you're obviously an asshole, or at least don't have much of a sense of empathy or care for the consequences of your actions. Shouldn't women be throwing themselves all over you, to change you, at your age?

I mean, it should take another 10 years for them to wise up and leave you to either change or have an empty life. It really must be karma.

Wow what a dick response. How can you assume to know how much I have or haven't changed since that time? The fact that I'm clearly listing it as a negative action of mine must mean I regret it.

It's probably the worst thing I've ever done, but no need for you to be an jerkoff about it.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    Kainy wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Your friend.

Wow what a dick response. How can you assume to know how much I have or haven't changed since that time? The fact that I'm clearly listing it as a negative action of mine must mean I regret it.

It's probably the worst thing I've ever done, but no need for you to be an jerkoff about it.

YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE SHIPPED YOU OFF TO THE ARMY FOR THAT ACTION YOU MORALLY DEPRAVED FOOL. YOU STOLE HIS GODLY PLATE OF THE WHALE AND YOU EXPECT, WHAT, SYMPATHY? DIE IN THE FIRES OF YOUR OWN KARMIC DOOM.

Or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Right, and the song "Ironic" contains monstly coincidences.

That are still ironic, regardless

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

You think?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    sounds like he lost a girl to some diabloII hacker freak and is taking his revenge out on me.

also of note, while both things in my post are true, I don't actually believe one is a direct result of the other you fucking idiot. I don't actually believe in Karma period. I thought my post was funny, personally. if you don't well, that's too bad, but fuck off.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

You think?

yeah... but lets save it for D&D if anything... irony is far more abundant than some people seem to believe, taken at its definition, you should honestly expect it to be around you all the time (which it is)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    From the man who brought us great opening posts like this one.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    How much time did you spend digging through threads just to find a way to be a petty douche to a stranger on the internet? Get out more and stop being such a mouth-breather.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    How much time did you spend digging through threads just to find a way to be a petty douche to a stranger on the internet? Get out more and stop being such a mouth-breather.

It's called a search function, it is quite an easy concept to comprehend. So stop being needlessly agressive.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Esh wrote:

It's called a search function, it is quite an easy concept to comprehend. So stop being needlessly agressive.
    That's still a pathetic length to go to just to antagonize someone. And for what, not having an OP that doubles as a college-level thesis? You people and your high horses.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Esh wrote:

That's still a pathetic length to go to just to antagonize someone. And for what, not having an OP that isn't a college-level thesis? You people and your high horses.

Why are you calling pikapuff a dick for being a dick to someone who was being a needlessly aggressive dick?

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ludious wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Esh wrote:

That's still a pathetic length to go to just to antagonize someone. And for what, not having an OP that isn't a college-level thesis? You people and your high horses.

Why are you calling pikapuff a dick for being a dick to someone who was being a needlessly aggressive dick?
    Oh, I'm not defending anybody here. Esh was being a fair horse cock himself. I just act on principle.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    there are no principles to apply to someone who is retaliating against a cock goblin.

They deserve what they get, and some people delight in kicking them as hard as they can.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ludious wrote:
    there are no principles to apply to someone who is retaliating against a cock goblin.

They deserve what they get, and some people delight in kicking them as hard as they can.
    I guess I'm just more of a minimalist there. Instead of digging through records and constructing pie charts of dickhead moments vs. non-dickhead moments, I'd sooner go with a "Hey man fuck you."

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

You think?

yeah... but lets save it for D&D if anything... irony is far more abundant than some people seem to believe, taken at its definition, you should honestly expect it to be around you all the time (which it is)

No, the correct response was "Yeah, I really do think."

Drez on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What this thread has turned into is karmic punishment for my sins. If only I could unread this horseshit flamewar!

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    derail.jpg

Esh on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was hoping this thread was going to be about some new online system that punishes assholes.

For example, you go into a game of Gears of War and fuck a match up and then later your favorite Pinata gets cancer and dies.

I just hate online mongloids.

That would be glorious.

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, yeah, I'm sorry for getting huffy, but you're kidding yourself if you think this thread wasn't derailed long before that quote tree anyway.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get the OPs first example. Maybe I just don't understand UO enough, but it seems he knew what was going on but didn't stop it, felt bad enough to give the guy access to his own house and then lost the house simply because his 'friend' held it against him that he had a conscience about something that he was a bystander for?

If I've understood it right then that's not karma. That's this 'Bobble' guy being a raging asshole. The equivalent of allowing a homeless person to stay at your place during a particularly cold night and he robs you blind.

But I'm sure I've missed something...

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

You think?
    Lern2litriture.
    nub.

But this is more interesting to me than any actual information in this post.
    We need to discuss irony somewhere.
    It'll be a fucking great time.
    Also: Karma never bit me because I am too much of a nice guy to screw over people. Even if they are just internets.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bok Choi wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

You think?
    Lern2litriture.
    nub.

But this is more interesting to me than any actual information in this post.
    We need to discuss irony somewhere.
    It'll be a fucking great time.
    Also: Karma never bit me because I am too much of a nice guy to screw over people. Even if they are just internets.

Lyrics, noob. Learn them.

Drez on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    derail.jpg

It really bugs me that's the only thing I can contribute to this thread this moment. I mean poetic justice is a literary device and there has to be some game story which uses it. I'm just having a brain fart now I guess.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Lyrics, noob. Learn them.

it's actually "dontcha/dont you think?"

which is why it didnt set me off

Deusfaux on