As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Roll

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    a bunch of half-frog half-pustule halflings (or whatever) closing on their position

So... Bullywugs?

no, you're just looking at anthropomorphic frogs, there

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ogre.jpg

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wnana play D&D

I got a whole 'nother week off, and nobody to play with

who wants to come over and play D&D

Man, if it weren't for all this damn working that I am doing I would be so down.

So down.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I wnana play D&D

Man, if it weren't for all this damn working that I am doing I would be so down.

So down.

You working on Sunday?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wnana play D&D

So down.

You working on Sunday?

Yes indeed, 11:30 am to 7:30 pm.

Basically everyday until the following Sunday as well.

Oh well, I like money.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    weak

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    deadlands.jpg

Pre D20 system this game is fuck-awesome.

This looks interesting. Our current CoC group is looking to take a break for two or three months from CoC after we finish our current campaign and are looking for something to fill the void.

The deck system could be rad.

Other than browsing wikipedia, is there anything I should know about this game? Good modules etc.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I know, right?

But this working will help me get my shit together so that I can do things like take a day off to play games.

With people.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    deadlands.jpg

Pre D20 system this game is fuck-awesome.

This looks interesting. Our current CoC group is looking to take a break for two or three months from CoC after we finish our current campaign and are looking for something to fill the void.

The deck system could be rad.

Other than browsing wikipedia, is there anything I should know about this game? Good modules etc.

Well, it's one of the few systems I know of where you get to use a d12. Like, pretty regularly.

Also fitting, since this is basically Cthulu in the wild west. The only mod you would really need is the gamemaster's handbook (real title eludes me right now).

I recommend trying to find the pre-d20 system version, mostly because a lot of the charm of this game is the system.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    that's good, because I have a gigantic d12

like, it is maybe 2 inches across

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dread is a d12 system and involves demons and I'd like to try it someday.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think we spent half an hour trying to kill a bear, once.

That fucking bear, oh my god

I still feel bad about that

though since we were playing with DE?AD's Dungeon Master character it did lead to the hilarious mental image of a bunch of guys standing in a pit beating the shit out of a bear that was covered in blood

Moriveth on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    seriously de?ad you're on my list of

Forumers that I have never seen not be cool even once

it is very very very short

Raneados on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so i got starblazer adventures

it's a sci-fi version of the Fate System

so, it's like Spirit of the Century in space.

it's pretty awesome

Pony on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have got to say last nights dungeon romp with DE?AD was pretty great

Mainly because my character kicked so much ass

I basically accounted for half of the kills. Raping, I mean Reaping Strike is so great

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In related news, I will never run 4e again.

I will play it, absolutely...

...but, no, I will be running all of my games strictly in M&M, thank you.

(Ipse's character did kick a ludicrous amount of ass, though.)

DE?AD on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah that's the only part of DMing I'm not looking forward to

Bharaddin you will be missed

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Other names Ipse considered:

Bharafar
    Bharasmine
    Bharabbu

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You just gave me an idea for part of my campaign!

Bhragrabah here we come

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what was so bad about DMing 4ed?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Rules

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On a side note, who else pictures this:
    bungledungeon.jpg

every time they read the thread title?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    IpseDixit wrote: »

Rules

If you don't like them, don't use them!

Tonkka on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok... wow. This is the best Nerd Lair I have ever seen.

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about8714-0-asc-0.html

I am torn between thinking that it is way too nerdy for any man and the fact that I am way super jealous.

(It has lightning and fog machine controls for the DM!)

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

I am torn between thinking that it is way too nerdy for any man and the fact that I am way super jealous.

Holy goddamn shit

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's got lots of fiddly bits and cross-referencing and grid-based map-drawing on white boards that takes oodles of time, and keeping track of monster hit points, etc. etc. I just prefer something a little lighter, with a more effects-based rule set (which is why I like M&M).

I like preparing for a 4e game, as it's extremely fun dungeon building, essentially plug-and-play stuff with 90% of the work already done, but I find actually running it a bit of a pain.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Holy goddamn shit

Yeah... wow.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Holy goddamn shit

Yeah... wow.
    One of these days

mark my words

I'll have shit like that

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im all for a bad ass table (theres pictures of one fuckawesome one floatin around the internet) but I think that place is waaaay too nerdy for me. I dont want to be in a mock dungeon.

But thats just me.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Im all for a bad ass table (theres pictures of one fuckawesome one floatin around the internet) but I think that place is waaaay too nerdy for me. I dont want to be in a mock dungeon.

But thats just me.

Why be in a mock dungeon when you could be a real one?
    :winky:

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have decided to try out a hybrid class for Ipse's upcoming game.

Totally going Changeling Rogue/Sorcerer.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would think that room would double as game room/S&M room.

Like, sheet plastic drops from the ceiling to protect the books.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am considering running a PBP game despite swearing repeatedly I would never do so. I realized this earlier when I started looking into the Fate system, but now I have Starblazer Adventures (a sci-fi version of the system with some modifications) and I am very tempted to run such an adventure.

Pony on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »
    I have decided to try out a hybrid class for Ipse's upcoming game.

Totally going Changeling Rogue/Sorcerer.

They can be ridiculously awesome if you're at all competent. It's the fact that you have two pools of powers to choose from. If there's a level that has some shitty power selection there's a good chance your other half will have something cooler/more fun.

The shitty part is giving up feat slots for things like implements/class options/armor prof what have you.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

"A skeleton key needed to exit"

That is totally not up to fire code spec.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    bungledungeon.jpg

I was actually making a terrible Jethro Tull reference.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I am considering running a PBP game despite swearing repeatedly I would never do so. I realized this earlier when I started looking into the Fate system, but now I have Starblazer Adventures (a sci-fi version of the system with some modifications) and I am very tempted to run such an adventure.

My current idea is to run a mixed game

I figure if I make a very combat light campaign, I can have it be PBP most of the time, and then when they get in a fight we set up a game night and run it on Vent

It has its flaws, certainly, but I'm kinda into it

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The problem with PBP games is always combat. Combat kills PBP games.

However, Fate has the whole "scene-based combat" thing and that might resolve a lot of the issues.

Pony on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    The problem with PBP games is always combat. Combat kills PBP games.

However, Fate has the whole "scene-based combat" thing and that might resolve a lot of the issues.

Oh trust me Pony, I know.

I dunno if you caught my psychadelipunk idea that I've been posting around a bit, but the way I'm looking at it currently it's gonna probably be a good deal of social encounters and such, so I think it could work for PBP. I mean, on some level, PBP is better for that kinda stuff, because you have time to compose your thoughts well and write everything out.

But I know I will have combat, because that's just how things go (also because the combat mechanics would be super cool), so I need to set up some way to do that that isn't PBP I'm thinking.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    bungledungeon.jpg

I was actually making a terrible Jethro Tull reference.

As cool as Jethro Tull is, it will never erase that horribly camp puppet show from my childhood:

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.