As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Still The Real [Final Fantasy Thread]

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »
    So I watched a preview on GameTrailers for FFXIII.. they told me the non party leader characters are AI controlled in combat, is there any info on how this actually works? Is there a retarded Gambit system, or is that what the paradigm system takes care of, in that its a super basic version of gambits.

So that instead of having to program a pile of gambits that basically just make a character "The Healer" the Paradigm System designates an AI Party member as a healer, or an attacker, or a caster, or etc?

Are there specific paradigms/roles/whatever you have to buy/learn?

Basically, what I'm really asking is this: Is this game going to piss me off as much as Final Fantasy XII did?

It's hard to explain in text, but it's immediately clear as you play.

There's six "roles". Roles manage to take the place of both gambits and jobs at the same time. As someone explained it, rather than previous FF games where jobs dictated merely what you *can* do, the Paradigm Shift (which still makes me snicker) instead dictates what characters *will* do. A healer will heal...that's all they can do (and cast other "white" magic like esuna and raise). So, when you have an AI-controlled character in the healer role, they will cast cure, cura, etc as need be.

Now, since you're generally not going to just want one of your guys just sitting there idle when no healing is needed, you'll probably have something like Attacker/Blaster and Attacker/Healer set up early on.

This means that in combat (Paradigm configurations are done outside combat) you can quickly swap your healer to blaster and back, while leaving your main always ready to attack.

Each role gets a smattering of abilities, with blaster, enhancer (buffs) and jammer (debuffs) having the most, while attacker and defender largely rely on a few commands with lots of passive buffs only functional when in that role.

The AI within a role is smart and will never do stupid shit like throw fire on fire-immune enemies once it "knows" the weaknesses/strengths (which you learn by either using spells on them, using libra, or killing them). The AI will also tend to buff with the most important buffs, attack with AOE when enemies cluster, etc.

edit: And each character, while eventually getting access to all 6 roles, has 3 "main" roles in which they get far more abilities at a cheaper CP cost (like sphere levels, but with XP instead of levels/items). Each character also has a role in which they are clearly the best. Hope, for instance, gets more abilities as a blaster than anyone else does. Snow gets more defender abilities than anyone else does.

Vincent Grayson on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Editing another 1000-word FF13 impression (battle gameplay) for my site today; will post later. We're having 3 parts impression (Introduction, Battle Gameplay, Levelling Up) and then a full review. About 5000 words on the game in total. Big stuff.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So that Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers game looks pretty cool

I was impressed at how much detail they managed to squeeze into the game, and how seamless the gameplay was with the cutscenes without having any real loading screens

Hell the story didn't seem that bad either, derivative but in the same sort of way XII was

It looks like a game I would play, if I bothered to hook up my Wii these days

I own it. The gameplay is a bit hard to get used to at the start, but once you climb that little hurdle you'll be flinging rocks at monsters, flinging torches and plants at monsters, flinging monsters at monsters, flinging yourself at monsters, and just generally doing whatever you can think of that can be expressed in terms of "pick something up and throw it". It's a lot more fun thatn I'm probably making it sound. My favorite part of the gameplay is finding ways to use the monsters' abilities and properties against them. Like making an electric jellyfish discharge and zap the other monsters, or forcing a fire monster too breathe fire, or throwing a monster at a Bomb and letting it detonate, killing them all.
    The story is actually pretty good, and the main character is fairly interesting.
    The only real gripe I can think of is that it's supposed to be pretty danged short if you don't spend time doing sidequests and stuff. Oh, and don't expect too many boss battles, though the ones you get are pretty cool.
    The first one is against MOTHERF******ING BAHAMUT

I've heard people complain about the controls, and I agree that it can be kind of "love it or hate it", but I've seriously warmed up to the playstyle after struggling with the telekinesis for the first hour or son. It gets better, or rather you get better. And throwing NPCs is always fun:winky:.

Just beat it an I really liked it. Now I have to go back and try things like making giant jumbo cactuars and kill those geared behemoths by the train tracks.

I hope this game gets a sequel, but it's pretty much doomed in sales.

Yeah, I'm having all kinds of fun sandboxing in my NG+.

Last night I discovered that you can re-fight the Demon Wall after your first encounter. Go to the Chocobo Arena or whatever that track is called, then head for the area where the monsters show up (I guess it's called the "Demon Quarter" or somesuch). Heading away from the track is a side path that ends with a chest; if you look to your left, you might notice a signpost that reads "Subterranean Ruins" like the one near the Old Left Aqueduct. Climbing up on that ledge lets you enter the cave where Layle and Belle first entered the Ruins following the chocobo cart event at the beginning of the game, Demon Wall and everything!

I also recently revisited the Forgotten Forest, and encountered some annoying Robber (Rabbit?) Monkeys. They initiated a mini-event where I had to reclaim five stolen wallets. This was a royal pain in the ass, since they kept rushing me, and knocking me down (thus forcing me to drop the wallets I'd claimed), but eventually I managed to succeed. In addition to the "Master Monkey" medal (or something like that; I couldn't find it on the medal chart when I looked), the critters started spitting out massive amounts of Gil! I had an accessory that doubled my gil drops, so I earned probably three grand for my efforts.

Later on they stole my wallets again, but I wasn't in the mood and warped out of there. Fortunately they don't actually steal anything from you.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any news on who will be doing the soundtrack for Versus? I am really hoping it's Takaharu Ishimoto, because his work on Crisis Core was absolutely stellar.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I finally beat the last boss in FF13.

nerve on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was curious, so I put Kingdom Hearts II in.
    The camera is much better in this one. I think I might just play KH II first.

Rizzi on
    edited January 2010
    nerve wrote: »

It was a pretty solid final boss, I thought. I liked that getting owned by later forms didn't make you start the whole fight over again.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited January 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    Any news on who will be doing the soundtrack for Versus? I am really hoping it's Takaharu Ishimoto, because his work on Crisis Core was absolutely stellar.

It's Shimomura; basically Versus is the KH team making a 'more mature' game without Disney. Seeing as it's also an Action-RPG it'll probably also play similarly to KH. Probably. Ishimoto is doing Agito, which is the Crisis Core team.

APZonerunner on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly? I'd like to see someone define a "traditional" Final Fantasy game.

What Wada means is asset-heavy single-player blockbuster. FF13 cost them a ton of time and resources, for first week japanese sales that are under FF10 (which is admittedly one of the best sellers) and FF12 (more worrying, 12 being considered a poorly selling modern FF). So I dare say Wada is worried FF13 will not sell as well as 10 in the long run, and also possibly not be a system seller like 10 was (thus the HD market may remain too small to generate the same sales numbers as you could get in the PS2 era). So what he's hinting at is a move back to lower production values and MMOs, since FF11 has proven to be very profitable in the long run.

Keep in mind Wada isn't a game designer but a manager, so when he means different it'll be from the cost/profit standpoint.

chevluh on
    edited January 2010

It's Shimomura; basically Versus is the KH team making a 'more mature' game without Disney. Seeing as it's also an Action-RPG it'll probably also play similarly to KH. Probably. Ishimoto is doing Agito, which is the Crisis Core team.

Curses, I've never really been a fan of Shimomura. I've found most of his music forgettable, though he is better than Sakimoto in general.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Her!

symphonicfantasies.jpg

Left to Right: Kikuta (Mana), Shimomura (KH, Mario RPG), Uematsu (duh), Mitsuda (Chrono)

APZonerunner on
    edited January 2010
    Her!

Left to Right: Kikuta (Mana), Shimomura (KH, Mario RPG), Uematsu (duh), Mitsuda (Chrono)

I stand corrected.

Man FF13 can't come out fast enough. I can't wait to get my hands on that combat system that actually sounds hard(ish) for once.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    On that subject, I've just posted up one of our guys' thoughts on the Battle System. 1000 words of it. Almost, anyway. Definitely worth a read.

I've also captured every single CGI FMV in the game at 1080... will upload eventually.

APZonerunner on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just a quick thought on Crystal Bearers:

The "beach episode" is one of those things that seems nearly inevitable in a long-running anime or a JRPG. Most games that are going to feature a beach episode hold off until somewhere after the halfway point, when the player needs a break from all the Serious Business going on and just wants to see the characters clowning around.

Crystal Bearers deployed its beach episode in the third hour.

I am determined to finish this game, if only out of spite.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Beach episodes happening earlier in anime isn't exactly uncommon either.

However...

You can never truely finish Crystal Bearers.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2010
    chevluh wrote: »

What Wada means is asset-heavy single-player blockbuster. FF13 cost them a ton of time and resources, for first week japanese sales that are under FF10 (which is admittedly one of the best sellers) and FF12 (more worrying, 12 being considered a poorly selling modern FF). So I dare say Wada is worried FF13 will not sell as well as 10 in the long run, and also possibly not be a system seller like 10 was (thus the HD market may remain too small to generate the same sales numbers as you could get in the PS2 era). So what he's hinting at is a move back to lower production values and MMOs, since FF11 has proven to be very profitable in the long run.

Keep in mind Wada isn't a game designer but a manager, so when he means different it'll be from the cost/profit standpoint.

The sales numbers are a bit misleading though, no? It certainly sold quite a few new systems, and compared to the install base, aren't they pretty close to 50% of PS3 owners having bought the game at this point? That's better than any previous FF release as far as I know. Sure, not in terms of raw numbers, but you can't expect to sell more copies of the game than there are systems.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know this is another FF on topic only thread but I have to mention something about the general setup of PSP KH that really gets my goat.

It's a general spoiler of sorts, so you've been warned but.
    There are now 4 fucking Soras and almost as many Ansems, depending on how you do the math.

That's just ridiculous.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know this is another FF on topic only thread but I have to mention something about the general setup of PSP KH that really gets my goat.

There are now 4 fucking Soras and almost as many Ansems, depending on how you do the math.

That's just ridiculous.
    I'm assuming Ventus is the fourth? Sora, Roxas and Xion being the other three. How is that explained, exactly, considering Sora is already alive during this time?

Fucking Kingdom Hearts and it's overcomplicated bullshit storyline. . .

Lynx on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't get why people keep reading Wada's words wrongly. He says in pretty plain speak that they may no longer make this type of game INTERNALLY:

“But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some ‘next generation’ forms of play.”

See, basically the team that normally would just work on another Final Fantasy title, he feels, should work on some new IPs and new ideas, becuase they're a really talented bunch. They can outsource the traditional Final Fantasy games much like they do with Dragon Quest. That makes a lot of sense to me. Why have your A team working on the games that'll sell millions and millions no matter who makes the things. You want your A team coming up with new things that can also sell millions and millions.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited January 2010

I don't get why people keep reading Wada's words wrongly. He says in pretty plain speak that they may no longer make this type of game INTERNALLY:

“But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some ‘next generation’ forms of play.”

See, basically the team that normally would just work on another Final Fantasy title, he feels, should work on some new IPs and new ideas, becuase they're a really talented bunch. They can outsource the traditional Final Fantasy games much like they do with Dragon Quest. That makes a lot of sense to me. Why have your A team working on the games that'll sell millions and millions no matter who makes the things. You want your A team coming up with new things that can also sell millions and millions.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. Although, I can't help but think it interesting that SE has things like Nier and whatever else on the horizon, but not a single "normal" FF console title announced past the release of XIII. I mean, we've got the MMO (XIV), the spinoff ARPG (VsXIII), and the handheld spinoff (Agito)...but no word of another big FF title, which is pretty unusual. IIRC, either X, XI and XII or XI, XII and XIII were all annouced pretty much at once...I can't remember the last time there wasn't at least the notion of another big FF game on the horizon.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited January 2010

Yeah, I think that makes sense. Although, I can't help but think it interesting that SE has things like Nier and whatever else on the horizon, but not a single "normal" FF console title announced past the release of XIII. I mean, we've got the MMO (XIV), the spinoff ARPG (VsXIII), and the handheld spinoff (Agito)...but no word of another big FF title, which is pretty unusual. IIRC, either X, XI and XII or XI, XII and XIII were all annouced pretty much at once...I can't remember the last time there wasn't at least the notion of another big FF game on the horizon.

I think you're mistaking them getting websites and things under those names as announcements, or something. I don't think they really announced all of those at once.

And anyway, it'd be beyond retarded of them to reveal anything other than what they have right now. I mean they're releasing two mainline games in one year. They don't need to say anything else about any other FF. You don't want to steal attention, and they're already starting to do that. Their marketing will focus on XIII a lot until that's released, then XIV will kick into high gear. You may think of vsXIII and Agito as spinoffs, but they want to market them as full on FFs. That's their experiment with this generation/batch of FFs. They're trying to pick up sales of games that wouldn't normally be as high by marketing them as fully budgeted FFs. So after XIV is released and going, only then will we really get much info on vXIII. I think then and only then is when you might hear a rumbling of a XV or something.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lynx wrote: »

That's just ridiculous.
    I'm assuming Ventus is the fourth? Sora, Roxas and Xion being the other three. How is that explained, exactly, considering Sora is already alive during this time?

Fucking Kingdom Hearts and it's overcomplicated bullshit storyline. . .

It's a bit trickier than that. Big spoiler about one of the antagonists in BBS
    I mean it
    Vanitas, Xehanort's apprentice, looks just like Sora with black hair.
    He's Ventus' dark side given a body. It's a bit silly but apparently he looks like Sora because when the dark side was given a physical form it left a gap in Ventus' heart, which was filled by connecting to a nearby person, in this case young Sora, and this connection cascaded back to Vanitas. Since the gap left by him was filled by Sora it was logical for him to assume Sora's appearance
    The sales numbers are a bit misleading though, no? It certainly sold quite a few new systems, and compared to the install base, aren't they pretty close to 50% of PS3 owners having bought the game at this point? That's better than any previous FF release as far as I know. Sure, not in terms of raw numbers, but you can't expect to sell more copies of the game than there are systems.

But the thing is, two of the best-selling FFs (7 and 10) sold systems along with copies, breaking the market open and making those big RPGs viable for their respective generations.

Here it may be good "for a PS3 game" but it still means that they can't go on with that model, because "good for a PS3 game" is not sustainable for the most expensive FF yet.
    I think you're mistaking them getting websites and things under those names as announcements, or something. I don't think they really announced all of those at once.
    Actually they did announce 9-10-11 simultaneously with a triple trailer at their TGS press conference (when most were just expecting them to announce FF9 on PS2). But it was a bit of a special case, being right during the transition from PS1 to PS2 and MMOs, and the result of an internal strife over the direction FF needed to follow.

A french mag had an interesting article about it, basically it was the traditionalist oldies versus the "new" Nomura/Kitase generation, with Sakaguchi not giving a shit anymore because he was working on his movie, while Square's newly created R&D department had decided to try its hand at a MMO. So they split the apple. The traditionalists would work on FF9 and the progressists on FF10 (while both sides didn't care much for the MMO), and may the best selling game win. And FF10 did. But after that things were a bit sour internally so that's when they decided to put Matsuno on the next FF to solve matters with a new approach. Plus one of the figureheads of the winner team, Nomura, was busy having oodles of fun with the whole KH thing anyway. And then FF12's development turned out to be an internal disaster, because both Matsuno and the R&D team (which had done well with FF11 and thus got assigned to FF12) were reformists, so to speak, so both other sides didn't take kindly to it.

chevluh on
    edited January 2010
    nerve wrote: »

It was a pretty solid final boss, I thought. I liked that getting owned by later forms didn't make you start the whole fight over again.

Yea, I actually went back for the 5 star trophy.
    Considering how quick he went down the first time, it didn't seem like it would be too difficult. It took me a couple tries to see which optima group deals the most damage during his break period (jam/atk/bla vs. jam/bla/bla). Then there were a bunch of attempts where something random would happen, like getting disabled or just for whatever reason not doing enough damage.

I'm guessing it's mostly based on how much damage your death spell does. Sometimes he would end up at 50% and other times around 2-10% before his break timer ran out. Anything past 1 break is too long.

On the last attempt my death spell just randomly took him from like 30% to 0..

nerve on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, if I though FF 12 was pretty good, disliked the gameplay and almost every character in FFX (not even worth mentioning X-2), would FF13 even be worth looking into prior to finding it for like $12 in a used bin years down the line?

EclecticGroove on
  • robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Another thing I meant to ask: do characters not in battle gain CP or do they have to take part in battle to progress at all?

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

He's composing Agito. I also debate which was better: his Crisis Core half arrangement/remix half original soundtrack, or his all origional TWEWY soundtrack.

Also, Shimomura is a musical goddess. Legend of Mana, Front Mission, Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts (series), Street Fighter II, etc.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited January 2010
    Another thing I meant to ask: do characters not in battle gain CP or do they have to take part in battle to progress at all?

Every character gains CP all the time. Even at points in the story where you don't have certain characters in your party (which is *very* common early on), they still get all the CP you earn...so everyone is always equal in terms of potential.

Vincent Grayson on
  • robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Every character gains CP all the time. Even at points in the story where you don't have certain characters in your party (which is *very* common early on), they still get all the CP you earn...so everyone is always equal in terms of potential.

THANK GOD.

I think that actually just cemented me buying this game; One of the things that drove me to blinding rage in FFXII was that you had to play all your characters all the time.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
    edited January 2010

THANK GOD.

I think that actually just cemented me buying this game; One of the things that drove me to blinding rage in FFXII was that you had to play all your characters all the time.

Nope, and since everyone actually has access to varying levels of proficiency with the roles, you'll mostly just stick with the guys you like to use and swap in other people when you need a very particular strategy to win.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited January 2010

THANK GOD.

Nope, and since everyone actually has access to varying levels of proficiency with the roles, you'll mostly just stick with the guys you like to use and swap in other people when you need a very particular strategy to win.

While I didn't enjoy the split party aspect of the early game, being switched to a character with 100k unused cp was quite satisfying.

nerve on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finished Crystal Bearers.

Here's my back of the box bullet point review:
    - Really bad gameplay!
    - Good music. Mostly.
    - Very pretty.
    - Has a story that is told in cutscenes, most of which are good.

I do not recommend this game. Find the soundtrack and look at some screenshots and you'll get all you need out of it.

Renzo on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I got spoiled on the big BBS plot revelations and bombshells. One of them is slightly retarded; one of them is surprisingly badass.

I am very much looking forward to the English release of the game... whenever the hell that will be.

vagrant_winds on
    edited January 2010
    So I got spoiled on the big BBS plot revelations and bombshells. One of them is slightly retarded; one of them is surprisingly badass.

I am very much looking forward to the English release of the game... whenever the hell that will be.

Edit: oops I'm dumb, didn't realize bbs meant birth by sleep.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Which plot point is the badass one, again?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »

I'm totally intrigued on this one too. Seriously how many
    Soras are there running around? It was already bad with Xion on 358/2 Days but they went for overkill in BbS.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited January 2010
    Dammit, where the hell can I find some Wendigos in FF8. I've tried every single area listed in every single faq online and I haven't seen a goddamned one.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Don't you find them in the forests near Timber? Looking for Steel Pipes? EDIT: Try modding an Elastoid card. It's way easier.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited January 2010
    Don't you find them in the forests near Timber? Looking for Steel Pipes? EDIT: Try modding an Elastoid card. It's way easier.

Yeah, I'm looking for steel pipes. Trying to get doomtrain.

I would do that, but I didn't know who to play in cards to get that. I don't have any elastoid cards right now for some reason.

Anyway, I just found some, finally.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I'm getting tons of Elastoid cards off the Quistis fan boy in the Cafeteria (still on disc 1). I think you can get some off Cid too.l

lionheart_m on
    edited January 2010
    March 9th.

Febuary-March has to be some sick joke in the gaming industry. There's no way I can afford the ten or twelve or so good games all releasing at the same time, half or more of them rpgs. I've stopped counting.
    Pureauthor wrote: »

The one that relates to Lingering Sentiment. ;)

vagrant_winds on