As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow boot

Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I picked up antivirus live yesterday. Fixed it up no big deal. However now my computer boots REALLY REALLY slow.

It runs fine once it's up and going, but it sits at my desktop with my background showing but no interface for about 3 minutes.

Anyone know if this is a residual effect of AV Live or not and how to fix it?

Mojo the Avenger on

• Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like you didn't necessarily clean it completely.

The best fix is of course: backup your data to another system, then re-install windows.
    Barring that, what steps did you take to "fix it up" ?

I would suggest:
    1. Download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, update it (don't run it yet).
    2. Download and install the latest version of Spybot Search&Destroy, update it (don't run it yet).
    3. Update your current antivirus program (don't scan with it yet).
    4. Back up your data.
    5. Reboot into Safe Mode
    6. Run Malwarebytes, see if it finds anything.
    7. Run Spybot, see if it finds anything.
    8. Run your antivirus, see if it finds anything.
    9. Run Spybot's "immunize" feature.
    10. Reboot into normal mode.
    11. See if the problem is still there?
    12. Update windows
    13. Update Java
    14. Update any Adobe products you have (there is currently a nasty banner-advertisement hijack that exploits weaknesses in Adobe, and a comprehensive fix is due sometime mid-january).

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had already ran malwarebytes in safe mode. I restarted to run the rest and now my computer blue screens on boot. Just gonna format.

Mojo the Avenger on