As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Help With Internet Things (Comcast)

SueveSueve Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my dad is trying to figure out the how to configure his new internet.

He needs faster internet than the terrifyingly slow DSL, and so he is investing in Comcast.

He is buying 10 Mbps Cable internet and wants:

VoIP (Bought through Comcast w/ the same phone number as he has now)
Wireless Internet for the House
and at least one available Ethernet line

Is this Possible using one device? Is this what a Cable Modem does?

Sueve on

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The cable "modem" won't broadcast wireless, so no that won't work. You'll need a router of some kind. When I had voice from Comcast (a total rip off, its silly) and cable/internet, it all came from the same box.

You'll need a wireless router of some kind.

I have one of these guys and it works just fine. If he's super into getting the fastest thing, I believe N is the latest fastest wireless.

You'll have cable from the wall (coax cable) into your 'modem'. From the modem, a cat5 cable into your router and then from your router to wherever else.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Time Warner gave me a wireless router (Since all I'm using is my laptop and not a desktop), so maybe Comcast has a similar deal?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Time Warner gave me a wireless router (Since all I'm using is my laptop and not a desktop), so maybe Comcast has a similar deal?
    Comcast charges $5 a month to rent a router from them, at least they did when I got service. If I remember right it's a modem/router combo. Considering you're going to have internet from them for more than a year I'm guessing, I'd just buy a router since you can find decent ones for $50-60 pretty easily.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, didn't know you could rent a router from them. Now I've gotta check my bill and make sure I'm not being charged...haha

Iceman.USAF on