As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
You might want to add this page to the steam links section - a complete sortable list of every game on steam, the metacritic score, and if its on sale, the % its discounted by. Yes. http://steam.addhawk.net/[/QUOTE]

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    From the last thread:
    Asiriya wrote: »
    Does anyone still play Men of War online? I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I want to pay money if the online is dead.

Hell yes people play it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TychoCelchuuu

TychoCelchuuu on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ... we now return you to our regularly scheduled OP.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Once again, since we're in a new thread:

How's Republic Commando look? I already have it for Xbox, and while it's backwards compatible on the 360, it looks fuzzy, and muddled, and just generally like ass, which makes it really difficult to play for me. I'm on the fence on whether $5 is worth getting it a second time, if it looks a lot crisper, with everything easier to see.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nothing for me today, although I did buy AI war, for 8 player co-op.

Xtarath on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I just signed up for Steam and bought Torchlight for £3.75.

Did I do the right thing?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I caved and bought Torchlight for the fiver today. I was almost going to last time the sale was up, but I have a mac and I was going to try and wait for the mac version. It came up today and I just said fuck it and got it for my fiancee's computer. I figure I can play it more when she's on her week's trip later this month. I was a hopeless Diablo 2 addict, so I should like this.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Earlier today:

I want to buy the Eidos pack, but I keep getting errors. Now I have to create a steam support account too? ugh...

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

How's Republic Commando look? I already have it for Xbox, and while it's backwards compatible on the 360, it looks fuzzy, and muddled, and just generally like ass, which makes it really difficult to play for me. I'm on the fence on whether $5 is worth getting it a second time, if it looks a lot crisper, with everything easier to see.

I thought it looked pretty good and its going too anyways with higher res and AA. Only thing it doesn't support wide screen so if its stretched the clones look even bulkier then they already were. Its cool though since I just imagined them as Ninja Turtles with guns.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I'm an aberration in that I was kinda bored with Torchlight. I like Action RPGs as much or more as the next guy, but Torchlight really didn't feel like anything new or different.

I should probably check back and see if there's any neato user created mods, though. Anything that adds deeper complexity/options to the skill trees would be a great start for me.

Rius on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

When I played it a few months ago, it turned out fine. I didn't have a widescreen monitor at the time so I'm not sure how much that would effect it, assuming you have one.

Pretty pleased with the sale all in all, picked up Torchlight and Trine for 5$ each, along with the borderlands DLC for just under 7$.

Lagnar on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Republic Commando holds up spectacularly

If you want it, get it

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This final sale sucks.

I mean, fuck! I brought L4d2 YESTERDAY!

What's the calling it a one day sell if they gonna put it on sale a SECOND DAY?!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    I think I'm an aberration in that I was kinda bored with Torchlight. I like Action RPGs as much or more as the next guy, but Torchlight really didn't feel like anything new or different.

I should probably check back and see if there's any neato user created mods, though. Anything that adds deeper complexity/options to the skill trees would be a great start for me.

Same for me. Also, after diablo 2 a game like that without multiplayer just seems kinda empty to me.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Son, you did the rightest thing.

One Thousand Cables on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need someone to talk me into or out of buying torchlight. This fence sitting is agonising for me I really can't decide.

Casual on
    edited January 2010
    Re-asking in the new thread;

Someone said Overlord is a Pikmin clone, not an RTS. Having never played Pikmin, can someone explain that for me? It might not be a dealbreaker; I'm not much of an RTS player.

Also, which Hitman game(s) should I buy? Haven't played any of them except for some controller passing during the Hitman game that ends with you waking up at a funeral.

Rius on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Son, you did the rightest thing.

Yay!!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    I need someone to talk me into or out of buying torchlight. This fence sitting is agonising for me I really can't decide.

If you like Action RPGs like Diablo2 and Titan Quest, you'll like Torchlight. BUT, Torchlight doesn't have multiplayer and doesn't really add anything new to the genre. It rehashes what's great about the genre pretty well, and there's probably some great user mods by now that could enhance the experience. The game didn't hold my interest for very long.

How's that for enabling your fence sitting?

Rius on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Same for me. Also, after diablo 2 a game like that without multiplayer just seems kinda empty to me.

I think that's why Diablo 2 felt boring to me. The game areas were so open and empty and clearly built around multiplayer groups that playing it singleplayer was just dull, whilst playing it multiplayer it was the constant issue of feeling like I was supposed to be playing at level 99.

Torchlight works fine in SP, and it's not so obsessed with grinding that I can feel powerful for the majority of the game. I didn't mind investing in a bunch of skills so much either, although granted I haven't finished the game yet and that might come back to bite me later.

subedii on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Someone said Overlord is a Pikmin clone, not an RTS. Having never played Pikmin, can someone explain that for me? It might not be a dealbreaker; I'm not much of an RTS player.

Also, which Hitman game(s) should I buy? Haven't played any of them except for some controller passing during the Hitman game that ends with you waking up at a funeral.

It isn't a RTS. The main gameplay is like a hack and slash adventure but you have between 5 and 50 minions that follow you around that you can give commands to attack, retrieve or guard.

Sanders on
    edited January 2010
    From the previous thread:
    Asiriya wrote: »
    Does anyone still play Men of War online? I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I want to pay money if the online is dead.

Hell yes people play it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TychoCelchuuu

i bought this game, and i love it, in theory.

how is the multiplayer, compared to say, old-school Company of Heroes when it was still the best RTS ever?

The multiplayer is very different but very awesome. I suggest you watch the earliest uploaded videos on the YouTube channel I linked; they're more or less an introduction to Men of War multiplayer.

We also have a Men of War thread on the PA forums with some info in the OP.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wish to purchase a game in which I fly a spaceship. Is X3 good?

Should I get the two pack with X2 and X3:Reunion? Whats the difference between Reunion and Terran Conflict?

Or should I get another game with spaceships?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Sanders wrote: »

It isn't a RTS. The main gameplay is like a hack and slash adventure but you have between 5 and 50 minions that follow you around that you can give commands to attack, retrieve or guard.

Ok, that sounds awesome. Thanks!

Rius on
    edited January 2010

If you like Action RPGs like Diablo2 and Titan Quest, you'll like Torchlight. BUT, Torchlight doesn't have multiplayer and doesn't really add anything new to the genre. It rehashes what's great about the genre pretty well, and there's probably some great user mods by now that could enhance the experience. The game didn't hold my interest for very long.

My problem is I was always interested by but never played Diablo 2, or titan quest. And the no multiplayer turned me off torchlight a bit. But I do like RTS and RPG.

And I have already bought a metric fuckton of games in this sale. Damn this is difficult.

Casual on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

Should I get the two pack with X2 and X3:Reunion? Whats the difference between Reunion and Terran Conflict?

I'd also like an answer to this.

Tamin on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Pikmin is mostly in the way the game controls. You won't be dragging select boxes around your minions or anything. You'll be sending them out, or assigning them do do various tasks. There's different minion types and each type has it's use/talents/weaknesses. They adhere to the usual tank/dps/healer archetypes.
    The dungeon puzzles are quite zelda-esque and well made.
    It's not an RTS because there's no unit building, no unit researching, no resource gathering other then collecting life orbs or whatever it was. I'm rather puzzled why someone would call it an RTS, really. Why would you think it is?
    Also, using a gamepad works better then using a mouse and keyboard. It doable though, but still, Overlord is very much a console game.

<plug>If you want more Overlord info, go check my blog, I wrote quite a bit about them.</plug>

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited January 2010

My problem is I was always interested by but never played Diablo 2, or titan quest. And the no multiplayer turned me off torchlight a bit. But I do like RTS and RPG.

And I have already bought a metric fuckton of games in this sale. Damn this is difficult.

Well, if you never played D2 or TQ, then you should definitely pick up Torchlight. You'll get introduced to the genre by a game that is well equipped to do so, and while there's no multiplayer there's definitely enough value in the game to be worth it anyway.

Plus, by buying the game you'll be supporting the company that is making a multiplayer/mmo version of the game, set in the same universe. I think that's why I really bought it and what I'm really looking forward to, especially since D3 isn't coming out in 2010.

Rius on
    edited January 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

It bored the living crap out of me personally but I think I just lack whatever it is that lets some people enjoy recent space sims. The best space game I have ever played was Tachyon, which is on steam and cost £3.50 right now. You like space ships you should try it.

Casual on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Was about to click the button for the Eidos pack, but Tube has convinced me from the other thread. Shame to turn down such a nice deal, but I can pick out 10 games for $5 each that I will enjoy much more over the two games that actually interest me in the pack.

Sanders on
    edited January 2010

Well, if you never played D2 or TQ, then you should definitely pick up Torchlight. You'll get introduced to the genre by a game that is well equipped to do so, and while there's no multiplayer there's definitely enough value in the game to be worth it anyway.

Plus, by buying the game you'll be supporting the company that is making a multiplayer/mmo version of the game, set in the same universe. I think that's why I really bought it and what I'm really looking forward to, especially since D3 isn't coming out in 2010.

Fuck it I'm sold. One last purchase for this sale.

Casual on
    edited January 2010

Well, for $5 it's supposed to be the best example of the genre. Try the demo.

I have no willpower, i crumbled on the Eidos pack, too much there that i've wanted to try. So much for frugal game buying.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I've also been on the fence about Universe at War. It seems as though it's a pretty decent sci-fi RTS, with the only major complaint I've found being that the camera does not zoom out sufficiently. Is it still worth tossing $5 down on? I've been interested in it since it came out, but have heard some mixed reviews, and been weary to try it out myself.

Dourin on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Total Loot:
    You now own Evil Genius, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, X3: Terran Conflict, Star Wars Republic Commando, Batman: Arkham Asylum.
    You now own Morrowind.
    You now own Mass Effect, Braid.
    You now own Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis Wars, Half-Life: Source.
    You now own Torchlight
    You now own King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Total cost:
    100 bucks

Not bad.

Mei Hikari on
    edited January 2010
    SPACE SHIP INFORMATION

X3 is a space sim, but it's also a universe sim. There's a lot of economic stuff like trading and setting up industry and things like that. You don't have to do it but that's a pretty big part of the game to ignore. If you're looking for a "blow stuff up" sort of space sim, you're much MUCH better off with Freespace 2 from GoG.com. Then head over to this website and marvel at your next-gen graphics.

Not that X3 is bad. It's just horrendously complex and not as fun of a dogfighter as Freespace.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I keep wondering how well the publisher fares from these sales. For instance, I really want to see Super Street Fighter IV on the PC; does Capcom really benefit from dropping the price to $10 on SFIV?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • MutatedMutated Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i have oblivion for ps3

i am seriously considering buying it for pc once i get a decent computer

would this be a worthwhile investment?

and if so: should i get all the add-ons or just vanilla?

Mutated on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Disappointing last day. I am also disappointed that the Command And Conquer sales that I was saw yesterday are all gone, I thought Red Alert 3 was the only daily one.

I am really tempted by the everything TellTale pack, as I wanted to pick up the Monkey Island series they did and was interested in the Wallace and Gromit series, and the pack is only $15 more then picking up those two alone.

Anyone have any deal tips that you have to dig around the site for? Here is mine, Ghost Master for $1. So worth it.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Look, on that deal price Torchlight should be an instant purchase for anyone who's even vaguely interested, and I speak as one who feels hardcore loot whores are all certifiable and clickety clickety clickety is no way to design an entire game. Though I am a little more fond of the game since hitting the sunken gardens. Music's very good there. Anyway, it's extremely polished, it's an effortless timesink and it's got a modding community springing up around it. Buy it.

On the other hand I shouldn't say stuff like this since I am now getting the problem where Steam is declining my card (there's money on there, nothing wrong with it etc., etc.). Sigh. I guess there's still 24 hours, but when you know technically they can sell out of stuff it makes it a little harder to be at all patient...

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My Loot This Sale -

Ghostbusters
    Lego Batman (wasn't on sale but I still bought it)
    Shattered Horizon
    Left 4 Dead 2 (Gifted to someone)
    Day of Defeat Source
    Counter Strike Source x2 (For myself but on alternate accounts)
    Mirror's Edge (Gifted to someone)

DekuStick on
    edited January 2010
    I keep wondering how well the publisher fares from these sales. For instance, I really want to see Super Street Fighter IV on the PC; does Capcom really benefit from dropping the price to $10 on SFIV?

From all accounts sales skyrocket with these sales. Add in that overhead for capcom is much lower for Digital sales (at least i think it is). Hell any sales for a game that's nearly dead should be counted as good. (well, will be when SSFIV hits).

You can also factor in that i don't really know wtf im talking about!

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
This discussion has been closed.