As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

• Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Steam is pretty messed up and doesn't work most of the time I use it. If I have a slow connection it will either never connect or I will never be able to launch a game. Half the time off line mode will not start or will not work so I have to restart my computer with the internet shut off and then start it in offline mode.

Fizban140 on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every mission I've had so far in my current game of X-COM has been at night. Including two terror missions.

Yeah this hasn't gone very well at all.

As long as you have a plane heading toward a mission it won't disappear, so if you shoot down a UFO and its going to be nighttime soon you can send an interceptor at it to make sure it stays on the map. Then closer to dawn you send the skyranger to drop troops.
    This works for terror missions too.

Just make sure you send the skyranger before the interceptor actually gets to the crashsite, because when the interceptor gets there it will automatically turn around and come back to base which will let the mission expire.

You can also send interceptors at landed UFOs and they'll stay above them and engage if the UFO takes off.

Last Son on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    BEATEN TIMES THREE, TYCHO CELCHUUU

Keyboard and mouse.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh my God, Steam actually started up completely!

And takes up my entire connection while idling, nothing is updating (I disabled it all)! <_<

Henroid on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe the Steam client is updating.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe the Steam client is updating.

Well I'm not about to give it the chance. Offline moded, so now I can play my Torchlight yay. Having to make this arrangement sucks, I swear.

Dear TX;
    Please allocate funds to expand cable lines across the state.
    Your unwilling citizen,
    Henroid

Edit - Did spend some time catching up with one of the roomies back in Portland though, Steam friends list yay.

Henroid on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can someone help me with X-Com? I have no idea how to play these games.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a tutorial available in the manual which should get you started.

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/7760/

Dehumanized on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jesus Chris, maybe the new thread title should be the link to X-Com's manual, with all the people coming in complaining, "Waaah, I don't know how to play, it didn't tell me."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My new CPU came in the mail today. I was all stoked, ready to get some better framerates in various games, as well as finally get to play a few games in my Steam list that are above my hardware right now.

Pull out the old, throw some thermal grease and a fan on the new, drop it in, fire it up, nothing. The fan spins, but the machine won't boot. No post, no bios, no display.

Throw the old CPU back in, do a BIOS update just in case, try again.

Nothing.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu

I'm a go play some AvP.

SmokeStacks on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good luck Smokestacks.

Drake on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey Henroid, that's not normal behavior for Steam (unless it was updating in the background and you just missed it. "CHeck for Steam Client Updates" will let you know if if you have an update, and the Bandwidth Monitor under the View menu will let you see if it's downloading anything.

Just to give an example, I'm running TF2, connected to a server, in the background right now and it's only using 60Kbps (~7.32 Kilobytes per second).

Undead Scottsman on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For Steam games that require DOSBox, if I already have DOSBox installed and configured to my liking (without ever involving Steam at all with the process), will Steam reinstall and overwrite everything? Also, as another quick question, will this make it so that Steam has to be running in order to launch DOSBox and play DOSBox games?

That would be slightly annoying, but I guess otherwise Steam wouldn't be able to prevent people from just playing DOSBox stuff without even connecting to Steam.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For Steam games that require DOSBox, if I already have DOSBox installed and configured to my liking, will Steam reinstall and overwrite everything? Also, as a quick question, will this make it so that Steam has to be running in order to launch DOSBox and play DOSBox games?

That would be slightly annoying, but I guess otherwise Steam wouldn't be able to prevent people from just playing DOSBox stuff without even connecting to Steam.

I don't actually have any games on Steam that use DOSBox, but I'm pretty sure that it has a seperate DOSBox installation for each Steam game that uses it.

Peewi on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do not believe that you have to run DOS games through Steam, no.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, each game comes with its own instance of DOSBox (considering how small the thing is). You can also change the dosbox.conf file for any of the games to suit your system better. I know Dark Forces runs much better after a few tweaks.

And I don't think you'd need Steam running either.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awesome. Individual instances of DOSBox would make customization much easier. I am encouraged to buy old games I've never played. Thanks for the info!

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited January 2010
    Steam generally downloads the games in their entirety. You can just fire up DosBox your normal way and then point it to ...\Steam\steamapps\common\gamename\game.exe if you felt compelled.

You can also use stuff like Doom95 or zHeretic or whatever with Steam DOS games by pointing them at the proper executable or wad file.

SmokeStacks on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, god. I'm doing the original X-com on veteran. Usually I can get a few laser rifles out before my first terror mission. This time I'm getting called into a terror mission with just rifles.

So far I've done 3 recovery missions and lost only one soldier. This terror mission is going to wipe out my entire squad :(

TekDragon on
    edited January 2010
    So I set Steam to offline mode last night but didn't try to play anything.
    Steam was unable to sync your file for Torchlight with the Steam Cloud
    If you have played this game from another computer, your game settings and/or progress may not be in snc with what is stored in the Cloud. If you play the game now, you may lose those changes or progress.
    Then this happened. What the hell is going on?

Henroid on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's normal. Torchlight uses Steam Cloud, which means you can switch computers and your settings and savegames are automatically swapped between them. If you're only playing on one machine you can ignore that.

Phoenix-D on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I set Steam to offline mode last night but didn't try to play anything.
    Steam was unable to sync your file for Torchlight with the Steam Cloud
    If you have played this game from another computer, your game settings and/or progress may not be in snc with what is stored in the Cloud. If you play the game now, you may lose those changes or progress.
    Then this happened. What the hell is going on?

Torchlight uses Steam Cloud to sync your profile, so that you can essentially load it up anywhere with an internet connection and continue playing where you left off.

It's basically telling you that it couldn't sync up with Steam Cloud (because you've set it to offline). When you play Torchlight, your character and progress are still going to be saved, just not to the cloud. If you load up Torchlight from another computer, it won't know about your progress on this one.

When you do eventually go back online, the game will Sync up with steam cloud again, and it'll tell you that the version of your profile on your computer is newer than the one on Steam cloud (assuming you haven't been playing on some other PC whilst connected to the net in the meantime), and ask you whether you'd like to use that one or the Steam cloud version. So you just tell it to use the one on your computer, Steam cloud syncs up and that version of your profile is now on Steam Cloud and can be accessed anywhere.

tl;dr : Your game syncs up whenever you're online. You took it offline so it can't sync up. When you take it back online it'll sync up again. Nothing to really worry about.

subedii on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Oh, god. I'm doing the original X-com on veteran. Usually I can get a few laser rifles out before my first terror mission. This time I'm getting called into a terror mission with just rifles.

So far I've done 3 recovery missions and lost only one soldier. This terror mission is going to wipe out my entire squad :(

If you're expecting a wipe, can you just skip the mission?

jothki on
    edited January 2010
    I just want to make sure about things before I do 'em, I was gonna run it anyway and say "fuck it" but started having doubts for some reason.

Henroid on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »

If you're expecting a wipe, can you just skip the mission?

If you don't mind taking a dive in funding, yes.

BlueDestiny on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it's better to go and wipe than not go. The funding countries would get really pissed if you ignored a terror mission.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Though I think going then running away like a little girl would also work.

Phoenix-D on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I finally beat Defense Grid today! I've had it since May, but I'd always run into a mission where I couldn't get through. Now I'm attempting the various challenges. Such a good game.

I think what got me to start playing it again was when I gifted it to 4 friends in December. My fiancée is always playing it.

SteevL on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    I finally beat Defense Grid today! I've had it since May, but I'd always run into a mission where I couldn't get through. Now I'm attempting the various challenges. Such a good game.

I think what got me to start playing it again was when I gifted it to 4 friends in December. My fiancée is always playing it.

What's cool is that it links into your Steam friends list so you've got an in-game ranked leaderboard of scores just for your friends. Brings a nice multiplayer component to the singleplayer game.

Hope your fiancée isn't the competitive type at these things. :P

subedii on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

What's cool is that it links into your Steam friends list so you've got an in-game ranked leaderboard of scores just for your friends. Brings a nice multiplayer component to the singleplayer game.

Hope your fiancée isn't the competitive type at these things. :P

She isn't, really, but seeing her name pop up in my leaderboards certainly encouraged me to play more. :)

edit: The whole leaderboards-linking thing works with Audiosurf too, and we actually were competing against each other off and on in that one.

SteevL on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I bought'd X-Com pack and Freedom Fries... Force.

Let's see if Jagged Alliance 2 prepares people for the horror stories of X-Com...

EDIT: So, on my first mission, one guy goes berserk and kills a friendly, 4 people get taken down by aliens, and then the guy who is carrying the rocket launcher turns around and blasts the dropship into pieces...

...good times.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy Shit! X-COM is awesome!

I really want this on something like the Silent Storm engine (or newer, preferably).

I really, really do.

Missile Tanks rule, but in cities the collateral damage is... well, the aliens are the lesser of the two evils.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

I really want this on something like the Silent Storm engine (or newer, preferably).

I really, really do.

Missile Tanks rule, but in cities the collateral damage is... well, the aliens are the lesser of the two evils.

Nonsense, the xenothreat is serious. Damn the casualties.

SkutSkut on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This seems like a good place to ask. Mass Effect 1. It had some sort of issue, so I ran the verify integrity thingy, which told me it needed to replace some files. Ok, good, go do that. It's been stuck on Download Starting for the last 8 hours. I've even tried completely reinstalling the whole thing, it just hits 100% and then loops back to Download Starting.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

I really, really do.

People have tried X-Com likes/spiritual successors. They just never seem to get it right.

Personally I'm happy with the original. Considering its age, the interface isn't nearly the nightmare that it could be, the graphics are clean and fun and the gameplay is just right as it is.

If someone were to do it up right though, I'd be in line for a copy. Yes indeed.

Also, I can keep it on my thumb drive with a few other DOS classics. You never know when you may need to bust some alien heads (or pull off an assassination for your Syndicate, or face down Japanese flat tops at Midway). There isn't a computer around that can't run those old games now, especially if you get handy with DOSbox.

Drake on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    This seems like a good place to ask. Mass Effect 1. It had some sort of issue, so I ran the verify integrity thingy, which told me it needed to replace some files. Ok, good, go do that. It's been stuck on Download Starting for the last 8 hours. I've even tried completely reinstalling the whole thing, it just hits 100% and then loops back to Download Starting.

Have you tried double clicking it and letting it sit? I've had to do that many times before.

urahonky on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It pops up with "That game is unavailable, please try again later"

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Even though I've had access to X-Com pretty much continuously since it came out I dropped the $2 to have everything through Steam just in case of a lost disc, and started a fresh play last night.

Same issue for me - had a terror mission in the first month before I'd managed to research any laser weapons. Amazingly enough, I got through it with only two casualties - one mediocre guy and one meat scout. Oh, and my rocket tank, but I did have enough saved to replace it.

And this was despite encountering 3 damn reapers. At one point I had to take one out solely with rifles as my still mobile tank had already encountered the other two. It took 5 shots to drop it (one might have been a pistol), and it finally died in the second turn of steady fire only 2 spaces from my best accuracy soldier.

I saved last night with about 2 days left in March, about to begin my third terror mission in three months. Shortly after taking on a large craft sighted on the ground, and thus without the benefit of any crash casualties. And for some reason the game insisted on rapidly promoting one of my worst soldiers to Captain, so I'm stuck trying to keep her alive and well.

And yet I love it so.

Ketar on
    edited February 2010
    So I'm trying to get into X-Com (UFO defense), and I'm not entirely sure that the game is running at a reasonable speed. When on the globe view, the timer is set to '5 sec', but every second that passes in real time flips the game clock forward by roughly six minutes. I admit that I'm still just getting started, but this seems like it might be way too fast.

I think I can use DOSBox to slow it down, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for. What speed should the game be running to be playable? Do I want to throttle DOSBox to the point where five seconds in the game pass for every one second of real time with the '5 sec' button selected, or will that make the rest of the game painfully sluggish?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited February 2010
    My new CPU came in the mail today. I was all stoked, ready to get some better framerates in various games, as well as finally get to play a few games in my Steam list that are above my hardware right now.

Pull out the old, throw some thermal grease and a fan on the new, drop it in, fire it up, nothing. The fan spins, but the machine won't boot. No post, no bios, no display.

Throw the old CPU back in, do a BIOS update just in case, try again.

Nothing.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu

I'm a go play some AvP.
    Drake wrote: »
    Good luck Smokestacks.

I found out what the issue was. My motherboard supports Socket 478 Pentium 4s at 2.8GHz, but not 800MHz FSB Socket 478 P4s at 2.8GHz so I'm kinda hosed, because investing money in a new motherboard for this computer would be kind of silly at this point.

But I shot the shit out of some Aliens and it made me feel a little better.

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.