As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What research branch should I be taking in Terror From the Deep?

SkutSkut on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ketar- Keep your captain in the dropship and use him to throw supplies and such outside. If he bites it in the field all your low bravery soldiers will flip out and either become a gibbering mess or gun down all the others.

Tetra- Go to the Ufo Defense folder in steamapps/common and open up dosbox.conf in notepad. Change Cycles=Auto Limit (Whatever it is) to 25000. That might help.

BlueDestiny on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ketar- Keep your captain in the dropship and use him to throw supplies and such outside. If he bites it in the field all your low bravery soldiers will flip out and either become a gibbering mess or gun down all the others.

Oh, I well understand the importance of keeping the captain alive - X-Com is possibly my favorite game of all time and I've been playing it since it originally came out. That said, while I am now forced to use her much more conservatively than I would otherwise, I won't go quite so far as to just leave her in the ship :P

Ketar on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    I think I can use DOSBox to slow it down, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for. What speed should the game be running to be playable? Do I want to throttle DOSBox to the point where five seconds in the game pass for every one second of real time with the '5 sec' button selected, or will that make the rest of the game painfully sluggish?

If my memory from 15 years ago is correct, the tactical game and globe interface are two different executables. Can DOSBox set it per executable?

Echo on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FYI I got my steam account back!

Lightor216 on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yay

LewieP on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lightor216 wrote: »

The first thing you did was verify your email address right?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    Lightor216 wrote: »

The first thing you did was verify your email address right?

Sure did

Lightor216 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    yay

subedii on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I dunno what's in the sludge I'm feeding these fuckers, started up a new game of X-Com UFO, one guy takes two shots and snapshots a sectoid between two team mates and guns it down to finish the mission. Second mission a guy takes five plasma shots to the chest and chases a lil sectoid fucker around a corner and guns him down before bleeding out.

SkutSkut on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My new CPU came in the mail today. I was all stoked, ready to get some better framerates in various games, as well as finally get to play a few games in my Steam list that are above my hardware right now.

Pull out the old, throw some thermal grease and a fan on the new, drop it in, fire it up, nothing. The fan spins, but the machine won't boot. No post, no bios, no display.

Throw the old CPU back in, do a BIOS update just in case, try again.

Nothing.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu

I'm a go play some AvP.
    Drake wrote: »
    Good luck Smokestacks.

I found out what the issue was. My motherboard supports Socket 478 Pentium 4s at 2.8GHz, but not 800MHz FSB Socket 478 P4s at 2.8GHz so I'm kinda hosed, because investing money in a new motherboard for this computer would be kind of silly at this point.

But I shot the shit out of some Aliens and it made me feel a little better.

Ah. The manly joys of home PC maintenance. Nothing makes me as obsessive as when my PC goes down. I won't sleep until I can fix it or I just collapse.

Drake on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I grabbed the Freedom Force pack last night. I mean for $2, why not. Though I gotta say, after starting to play the first one it's so incredible. I can't believe I missed out on these games first time around.

Hawk on
    edited February 2010
    All us X-Com newbies and Freedom Forcers should be aware of this thread over here. It's full of tactical discussion and goodness.

Drake on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All us X-Com newbies and Freedom Forcers should be aware of this thread over here. It's full of tactical discussion and goodness.

Very true. And, again, the X-Com Let's Play can not be oversold both for its greatness and as a source of XComy strategy and support.

Has there been a Freedom Force LP?

I was still kind of upset that I spent something like $14 on Freedom Force and two XCom games during the holiday sale (only one of which I did not previously own. Madness!) until I realized Steam was just punishing me for ignoring my backlog to just play Borderlands all the time. Now I see that I had it coming.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I ended up buying Tropico 3, and had a total blast playing last night. Seems like a classic opportunity for a fun LP thread.

Dark_Side on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played the first 4 or 5 islands of Tropico 3 and just lost interest in it. Even with new buildings getting unlocked, it seemed like I was doing the same thing over and over.

Hensler on
    edited February 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Very true. And, again, the X-Com Let's Play can not be oversold both for its greatness and as a source of XComy strategy and support.

Has there been a Freedom Force LP?

I was still kind of upset that I spent something like $14 on Freedom Force and two XCom games during the holiday sale (only one of which I did not previously own. Madness!) until I realized Steam was just punishing me for ignoring my backlog to just play Borderlands all the time. Now I see that I had it coming.

And there is now this thread as well, which is dedicated to us Steam sale first time X-Com players.

Tactics abound!

Drake on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    I played the first 4 or 5 islands of Tropico 3 and just lost interest in it. Even with new buildings getting unlocked, it seemed like I was doing the same thing over and over.

I'm a bit worried about this as well, as I can see that happening. The second island is supposedly a mining colony, but it's not at all different from how I played the first one.

Dark_Side on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sanders wrote: »
    X-Com: I've yet to figure out what the shoot button is. I assume it is one of the three squares in the bottom that look like lines followed by a person and dots to represent bullets, but no idea how they work. I'll look at the manual soon enough.

Just in case you haven't gotten there yet, you shoot by clicking on the gun icon - like, the big one in the bottom corner of your screen. Then, you choose how to shoot - snap, aimed, or auto. Note that, unless ammo is a really big issue, you're much more likely to get a hit with auto shots than snap or aimed shots.

The green buttons are "Reserve" buttons. They tell your soldiers to save enough TUs / APs to perform the specific attack at the end of their turn. So, if you click the one with the three bullets, your soldier will reserve enough TUs such that, at the end of its turn, it can make one auto attack. The other two are for snap and aimed shots. They're basically helpful buttons for you, because you can certainly attempt to reserve TUs manually (and, often, you will), but the added assistance from the computer is certainly welcome!

Helpful hint for night missions: you can pick up and re-throw electro-flares.

Helpful hint for all missions: Smoke grenades tossed right outside your landing craft can provide the necessary concealment to get your lazy-ass soldiers off their glorified buss without getting ripped apart by reaction shots.

Help hint for all people: You seem like a ... discerning ... type. *lifts coat's edge* Do you want some ... data?

Elvenshae on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, so the last time I was able to play PC games was around the Quake 2 era, I've never had a good enough PC since then. I've just recently upgraded my HTPC with a decent enough graphics card (HD 5750) and am about to delve back in to PC Gaming.

Considering the last time I bought a PC Game was probably early 2000 or before, I'm REALLY out of the loop. So where the hell am I best to get started? What should I play? What should I download? What's essential software? What do I need to talk to other folks online when I'm playing games?

Up to now my purchase list is:

Dirt 2
    L4D

And that's about it. I'm not a big FPS fan but I dig ones with something a bit different going on (I loved Portal) or with strong co-op. I've played L4D on the 360 and thoroughly enjoy 4 friend co-op (I'm not too fussed on the other competitive modes, I'm a pansy, I know). So in addition to my many other questions, what games should I buy?

(For reference I've got both a PS3 and a 360 so I'm after PC exclusives OR games that are considerably better on PC)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd buy the original Company of Heroes, as it's regarded as one of the best RTS titles ever made.

Also, it's one of my personal favorites :lol:

Kami on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    I'd buy the original Company of Heroes, as it's regarded as one of the best RTS titles ever made.

Also, it's one of my personal favorites :lol:

I want to second COH and/or Dawn of War 2. Both are excellent games.

Also STALKER, if you're into open-ended/exploring FPS games with a hint of Russian-Dev-Craziness. (OK, Ukrainian.)

Also The Void if you're... into... weird Russian-Dev-Craziness. (Just check the thread.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mount and Blade is tons of fun. I think SE has a thread and there might be one sitting in GnT too. The combat just feels really great. There is a bunch of neat mods too. Right now I'm playing through as a six-shooter carrying motherfucker in the wild west.

Audiosurf is a load of fun if you have a big music collection. There should be a steam demo that lets you play through a few songs of your own to try it out. I played the shit out of almost all of my music when I first got it, and as I listen to new stuff its fun to ride through it in audiosurf to check out how it plays.

uh uh

other stuff...

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I'm a bit worried about this as well, as I can see that happening. The second island is supposedly a mining colony, but it's not at all different from how I played the first one.

I beat every single campaign in Tropico 3 but I didn't rush them all. Just played an island here or there as I went.

TheGerbil on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope Evil Genius goes up for sale someday. That game was great, right up there with Dungeon Keeper.

TekDragon on
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I hope Evil Genius goes up for sale someday. That game was great, right up there with Dungeon Keeper.

Psst. GoG has it.

edit: Huh. Steam has it too. I didn't know that.

Drake on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It also was on sale for like $2.

Xtarath on
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's about the challenge and endless possibilities! Tropico 1 had all buildings unlocked right away and people still loved it to death.

For example, try a communist paradise, try one with factories, try one with bananas, try one with coffee, try getting higher ratings in things you suck (like happiness, etc). Try different leaders.

Then do the scenarios ( I don't know how many Tropico 3 has). They are all super funny and hard.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really hope Mount & Blade goes on sale someday soon. Great game, but it is not $30 great.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really hope Mount & Blade goes on sale someday soon. Great game, but it is not $30 great.

That $7 dollars never felt so good.

(Awesome game. It is like Pirates! with horses.)

Shens on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

The expansion comes out in March, maybe there will be a sale then.

It was certainly worth the $10 I paid nearly 5 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long.

Fats on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

yes it is, and you have bad opinions

MrDelish on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

yes it is, and you have bad opinions

Man, best $7.50 I ever spent.

Honestly, I might have paid $30 for it. I was considering it, but then it went on sale.

Kinda like I was thinking about paying $40 for Tropico, then all of a sudden it's like $13 and there ya have it.

mcdermott on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I think steam has conditioned me into not ever buying anything except new releases at full price. Hell, not even that sometimes (see: $33 Bioshock 2).

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I think steam has conditioned me into not ever buying anything except new releases at full price. Hell, not even that sometimes (see: $33 Bioshock 2).

I think we're in the same boat. If it's multiplayer and a friend is getting it, it's a preorder for me. If it comes recommended I'll give it a little wait. If it's a personal curiosity I'll wait for the first sale. If it's something I've never even heard of before I'll buy it anyways when it hits those crazy prices. Spending money has never been so convenient.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    I grabbed the Freedom Force pack last night. I mean for $2, why not. Though I gotta say, after starting to play the first one it's so incredible. I can't believe I missed out on these games first time around.

I adore every single thing about Freedom Force except for the real-time gameplay. Reading that it was originally intended and pitched as a turn-based game made me yearn for what could have been.

Lawndart on
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force is, imo, a terrible game so far. Boring in scope and scale. Controls are cumbersome. The plot is terrible, but I'll attribute that to it being based on comic books plots (not exactly Heinlein or Norton).

I beat mission 2 and I'm completely turned off the game. The only difficulty I've found is in man-handling the terrible controls, and the plot-tension revolves around having no real idea what the plot is.

TekDragon on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I purchased M&B, I thought it wasn't worth, 30 bucks, so I waited for it to go on sale for $15.

140 hours of gameplay later, I feel it well worth 30 bucks.

CJTheran on
    edited February 2010
    CJTheran wrote: »
    When I purchased M&B, I thought it wasn't worth, 30 bucks, so I waited for it to go on sale for $15.

140 hours of gameplay later, I feel it well worth 30 bucks.

Yeah, I was originally kicking myself for buying it 3-4 days before it went on sale.

Then I installed Prophesy of Pendor and realized I'd have gladly spent $40-50 on it.

TekDragon on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I picked it up on sale, great fun...the music/menu stuff makes me want to play NOLF though. I wish Steam or GoG would pick it up.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
This discussion has been closed.