As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

• CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mount & Blade was an absolute bargain for the $7.50 I paid for it when it was on sale ages ago. It's one of the best games I've ever played.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have to disagree with everyone else about Mount & Blade. That game just did not grab me at all.

The warband expansion however, that looks fucking awesome.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    I have to disagree with everyone else about Mount & Blade. That game just did not grab me at all.

I got a little queasy playing Mount & Blade, as sometimes happens in 3rd person perspective games. Hopefully I can give it a shot again at some point, the motion sickness issue seems to come and go.

Professor Phobos on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope Gratuitous Space Battles goes on sale again for $9.99. The demo is fun, but not $20 fun.

Michael H on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I got a little queasy playing Mount & Blade, as sometimes happens in 3rd person perspective games. Hopefully I can give it a shot again at some point, the motion sickness issue seems to come and go.

Ugh! I hate Vertigo. I don't know which game is going to cause it but they become completely unplayable for me. For some strange reason I get it from TF2 but not other source games. I also get it really badly from Dead Space.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ugh! I hate Vertigo. I don't know which game is going to cause it but they become completely unplayable for me. For some strange reason I get it from TF2 but not other source games. I also get it really badly from Dead Space.

It's weird how that works. Dead Space was fine for me, but I can barely look at Prince of Persia on the PC.

Professor Phobos on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Freedom Force is, imo, a terrible game so far. Boring in scope and scale. Controls are cumbersome. The plot is terrible, but I'll attribute that to it being based on comic books plots (not exactly Heinlein or Norton).

I beat mission 2 and I'm completely turned off the game. The only difficulty I've found is in man-handling the terrible controls, and the plot-tension revolves around having no real idea what the plot is.

What do you keep in the hole in your heart where joy is supposed to go?

I kid I kid. I haven't actually played it in years. I remember that the controls were not the best but that the game's vision - realizing that age of comic books perfectly - was completely realized in design and gameplay. Your mileage obviously varied, but I just remember being so happy the whole time I was playing it.

If you can't get behind tearing down a lamppost with your damn hands to knock a T-Rex into tomorrow, well, I just don't know.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't access Steam from this computer - can anybody tell me what the Mid-Week Sale is?

Hensler on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    I can't access Steam from this computer - can anybody tell me what the Mid-Week Sale is?

There isn't any midweek madness right now. You don't need the Steam client to check the sales, just the website.

Peewi on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so random question. Say you purchase the non-downloaded version of a game. if you add it to steam do you still need to have the Cd in the machine (assuming you actually still need to do that) thinking of asking for Mass Effect 2 for my birthday and it might be easier to just get the non-download version

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah. Steam is not going to auto-crack it for you or anything. ME2 uses a basic disc check.

Zxerol on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force is, imo, a terrible game so far. Boring in scope and scale. Controls are cumbersome. The plot is terrible, but I'll attribute that to it being based on comic books plots (not exactly Heinlein or Norton).

I beat mission 2 and I'm completely turned off the game. The only difficulty I've found is in man-handling the terrible controls, and the plot-tension revolves around having no real idea what the plot is.

Same here, I bought it a few years ago in a discount rack and played it for all of one hour. I still want that hour back in my life. :v:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force can be a little deceptive and I guess that might throw some people off. On the surface it looks like a mad and colorful action romp, but when you actually play it, you quickly realize that there's a pretty serious tactical element to it.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force is basically a squad based RTS and plays like it.

Couscous on
    edited February 2010
    I don't remember having any problems with Freedom Force when it was first released. But I love tactical games and am a huge Jack Kirby fan. It's definitely not an action game, if that's what you're expecting.

Hensler on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Titan Quest Gold is the midweek sale.

$5.

SmokeStacks on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wat

For TF2, you could try messing with the FoV and motion blur maybe?

Zek on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

$5.

Is that game...good? I hear it's glitchy.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yeah. Steam is not going to auto-crack it for you or anything. ME2 uses a basic disc check.

It's still a good idea to add games though. I got Fallout 3 GOTY Edition and it absolutely hates alt-tabbing. Well, thanks to Steam's overlay, I was able to use the web browser built in and look shit up without alt tabbing.

mrt144 on
    edited February 2010

$5.

It's good, but you'll have to get the fan patch to fix all the glitches. The fan patch is an easy install though, and it is a really good game once you get rid of the glitches.

See the PA forums thread for info about the fan patch and the PA patch.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

$5.

It's got a religious following here on PA.

I actually got pretty far into it. Then I was lying in bed one night and realized that every single moment of that game is exactly like every other moment. Fun, but extremely repetitive.

TekDragon on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Titan Quest is a fine game, but I think its crown of "best Diablo clone" has been passed to Torchlight.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Of course, one thing Titan Quest has over Torchlight is multiplayer.

SteevL on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Of course, one thing Titan Quest has over Torchlight is multiplayer.

And the fact that it's currently $5.

Really, not a bad game if you like Diablo and similar games. It's nothing spectacular, but fun. At least $5 fun.

I really want another shot at a $5 Mass Effect. :(

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited February 2010
    @Drovek:
    Maybe when Mass Effect 3 comes out in 2012. :P

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Titan Quest has some marginally interesting locations, which is more than I can say for Torchlight.

Fats on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I played far too much Diablo 2...i made it to like level 7 in Titan's Quest, could not finish Torchlight's Demo.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
    edited February 2010
    I think I played far too much Diablo 2...i made it to like level 7 in Titan's Quest, could not finish Torchlight's Demo.

Same here. Diablo and Dungeon Siege killed the loot hound parts of my brain.

Hensler on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait, Titan Quest is $5?

I don't need more Diablo at all, but I don't think I can turn that down.

Monger on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Silly goose steam and its silly goose head for having something so awesome. I think they learned of the concept of impulse eating or snacks and realized that a large number of their customer base was susceptible to these impulses and could make them some money.

RoyceSraphim on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played Titan Quest for a while in co-op and while it was fun, it was no Diablo II.

And I've spent 5x as much time with Torchlight, which even though it's more Diablo than Diablo II. I think it's a better game.

Hawk on
    edited February 2010
    It's funny that the only real reason I want to grab Titan Quest, a game focused on collecting items, is that I want to build my collection of Steam games.

TekDragon on
    edited February 2010
    I wish they'd do a few more "Publisher Packs".

Buying everything a Publisher made for $20 is hilariously awesome.

TekDragon on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's funny that the only real reason I want to grab Titan Quest, a game focused on collecting items, is that I want to build my collection of Steam games.

This is my problem...At the rate i play games, i believe i have enough to last sometime into 2011.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The other day I updated my backloggery after beating Defense Grid. After seeing my total games beaten jump from 34.1% to 34.3%, I'm pretty sure I'll never not have a backlog.

SteevL on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, I bought Titan's Quest. Eh, it's only $5.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't even intend to play it for months yet, and I still bought it. I mean seriously, £2?

Ed321 on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, I'm not interested in a Diablo style game. I'm gonna hold on to that five bucks until I see something that I'm actually interested in.

Shouldn't be long...

Drake on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Interesting. Steam is going to be down for at least 3 hours on Thursday.
    Planned Downtime on Thursday, February 4th
    February 2, 2010, 11:50 am - Valve - General Announcement

Beginning at 6:00 pm Pacific time Thursday February 4th, we will be performing software maintenance on some Steam servers. We expect the resulting downtime to last three hours at most, putting the end of the window at 9:00 pm Pacific time.

Some Steam services will be offline during this time. Affected services will include the Steam Community, in-game matchmaking or lobbies, downloading games from Steam content servers, and making purchases from the Steam store. Games that do not rely on Steam matchmaking services should remain playable.

News updates and any further information will be posted in this space.

We will work to make this downtime as short as possible. Thank you for your patience!
    Link: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3399/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I actually have a criticism of Steam. Granted, it's a tiny annoyance, but I notice it every time.

Why the age gates in front of M-rated games? Couldn't we just designate our age in our profile, and not have to put our birthday in every single time? I mean, I assume most of us here were born on January first, so we need only fuss with the year, but still.

Again, a very minor complaint, but also very easily fixed. Am I missing something? Is there a reason that Steam can't just know our age when we're signed in and not have to age-gate us?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
This discussion has been closed.