Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Team Nope-tress 2

• DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We should totally compile all our excellent ideas into a letter to Valve. And by all our excellent ideas I mean that one Kupi just said.

And "One does not simply PUSH CART into THE FINAL TERMINUS AH HAAAA HA HA HA HA"

Should definitely be a heavy line.

PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Compiling awesome ideas and sending them to a developer unsolicited will always end with them throwing away your awesome ideas. So don't bother.

wAgWt.jpg
  • EndaroEndaro Weyland Consortium Building a Better WorldRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think we need more maps. We have plenty of fine maps, but quite a lot of maps that no one can stand which lead to server deaths and shitty vote possibilities. I think we could use a higher percentage of maps that people can stand.

I've never made a tf2 map before, but I have made a few L4D maps, which is a comparable system. Hopefully, with some help from you guys for play testing and balance, we can get a few more maps in the rotation. I don't care about a map being popular elsewhere, I just think our servers could use more.

Moonshine turned out great (in my opinion), and I think supports my point of a need for more maps. Unfortunately, last I heard Hey You got burned out on Moonshine and the Halloween maps. Ebo is also working on a map right now (speaking of which, how is it going Ebo?).

If I were to work on a map, what would you guys like in map? It seems to me Granary and Gravelpit are generally the most liked and least disliked on the servers, so I'm leaning towards a style like either one.

freelancer_zps76131532.png
    edited January 2010
    We can just post it on their forums a lot! That's how they came up with the Equalizer.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gravelpit maps needed.

my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    How about a semi-balanced map that isn't full of terrible gimmick shit.

How about that?

Custom maps are lacking in those two things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    More maps like 2fort.

wAgWt.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    More maps like 2fort.

In fact I've got this idea for a map with a bridge over some water in the middle and two symmetrical bases on either side of that bridge. Maybe some tunnels underneath or something.

my twitter | beats music
    edited January 2010
    Oh I know. CTF map where engineers can't build next to spawns or in the intel room.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    I am one refined metal from my first real hat.

I'm 3!

:?

though I do have a batter's helmet, and I love it so.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited January 2010
    endaro! i would love one of those style maps -- and I agree in your general line of thinking.

I too was tossing around the idea of picking up hammer, but alas I don't think I will. if you styled after gravelpit or granary, I think you couldn't lose with either honestly. good luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited January 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    I am one refined metal from my first real hat.
    I'm half away.

From my I don't even know 50th?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Someone should make a map that somehow makes CTF not completely and utterly terrible.

wAgWt.jpg
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Someone should make a map that somehow makes CTF not completely and utterly terrible.

So a map that doesn't have the CTF gametype at all?

edited January 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Oh I know. CTF map where engineers can't build next to spawns or in the intel room.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tf2 needs a(nother?) push-style ctf map

the enemy intel starts in your base, and vice-versa, and your cap point is in the enemy base, and vice-versa

set the cap limit to something relatively high (I'm thinking 5 instead of the usual 2 or 3), and cap the spawn times at 12 seconds

this would work

It's an easy game to hate
    edited January 2010
    Yeah payload race works pretty great oh wa-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PLR has a limit of one cap per map, which means that the team that gets ahead first wins that map, about 95% of the time, with no recourse for the opposing team

also it is on a fixed track, which is dumb

but the main difference is definitely allowing for more than one cap

It's an easy game to hate
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey look a guide

So you want to play competitive tf2?

This guide will set up you up with the basics on how to get in on some quick 6v6 competitive play without having to committ to a clan, schedule, practice, etc. This is purely for 6v6 and not Highlander (9v9 with a class limit of 1 for each class) because I do not believe highlander has their own pug gather system yet.

PUG stands for Pick Up Group, which is what it sounds like; A group of players interested in playing a tight 6v6 game. The 'gather' system is a system built into the #tf2.pug IRC channel that automatically assembles players who've opted in into teams and provides a server with league rules to play on.

This is done through 2 programs:

-Mumble, for voice chat
    -IRC, for the gather system.

Personally, I love getting in a few 6v6 matches here and there, especially when the PA servers are empty. It's active at all times of the day, and you'll be set against players of a wide range of skill, ranging from merely interested folk like maybe yourself, to ESEA and CEVO level players.

As well, I think the gather system is a great way for people who knock 6v6 or have the wrong impressions about it to try it out for themselves and see what people like myself mean when we described it as just another level of play.

IRC
    Spoiler:

Mumble
    Spoiler:

Getting into a match
    Spoiler:

The Game
    Spoiler:

Now it's time for....

!!!PRO VIDEOS!!!

Feel free to PM me or post with any questions or clarifications.

Spoiler:
    edited January 2010
    I watch those and I kind of miss comp soldier

And then I remember why I left comp play and don't miss it anymore and sit with my new engineer love in a corner

my twitter | beats music
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sweet guide,

and the EXACT reason I don't like playing TF2...

Strategy, pfffffffff.

:winky:
    louzorz.jpg
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey look a guide

Spoiler:

really good guide, just quick, and I think I know the answer to this, being able to talk in mumble and not only listen is key, correct?

so I would probably want to fix and/or buy a new mic before I did any of this? or would just listening in on the voip be good enough?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited January 2010
    If you're the medic or captain or acting captain it's imperative you talk.

Ideally everyone needs to talk but we had subs from the larger clan on occasion that didn't always have mics and as long as you can take orders well you'll do fine.

my twitter | beats music
  • PMAversPMAvers You wouldn't have heard of it, anyway...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the best map would be one that would automatically slay Goomba when he spawns. Every time.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU!
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What? No heavies in standard play? I'm a little surprised, heavies would eat scouts like babies.

edited January 2010
    Simply put, they move too slow.

my twitter | beats music
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Simply put, they move too slow.

then they arent playing heavy right....

yeh, he's slow, but it isnt HORRIBLE, unless you spend most of your time spun up....

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The thing about heavy is not only is he slow, meaning he won't be much of an impact in the mid fight, but he's also a big target. Even with a medic, 2 soldiers and demo targeting him and he'll go down fast. As well, most of the fights tend to happen at mid range, which isn't the heavies strong point. He also needs the medic tied to him essentially. The cons outweigh the pros here.
    really good guide, just quick, and I think I know the answer to this, being able to talk in mumble and not only listen is key, correct?

so I would probably want to fix and/or buy a new mic before I did any of this? or would just listening in on the voip be good enough?

Listening is fine for this pug stuff, unless you're a medic, but if you're looking to get into clans or any kind of organized play, you'll need a mic

Spoiler:
    edited January 2010
    In comp play where eveyone knows what they're doing and is either a scout, medic or can powerjump? Heavy is too slow. That's why, like the guide says, you only see them as a last ditch effort for final point defense.

It's worth noting that in clutch situations it's one of the scouts that is expected to switch classes.

my twitter | beats music
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    besides empty servers, its bothered me that only 4 classes are considered useful in the "competitive" mode.

• redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey look a guide

Spoiler:

you need a mic. even if you're not going to be discussing in-game strategy and are content to just take orders, you need to be able to yell SCOUT BEHIND or SPY SPY SPY SPY when you're the only one who sees it

edited January 2010
    Watching comp play is pretty entertaining.

Or maybe it's just MoB. But seeing a medic get bottled in that high level play is pretty entertaining.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Which is why I stopped playing it. It's also dumb that it's 6v6 and after a while it just becomes un-fun.

All the classes are useful in the goddamn game and the very idea that four of them are better than the rest should have died stillbirth.

my twitter | beats music
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    In comp play where eveyone knows what they're doing and is either a scout, medic or can powerjump? Heavy is too slow. That's why, like the guide says, you only see them as a last ditch effort for final point defense.

It's worth noting that in clutch situations it's one of the scouts that is expected to switch classes.

Weird. I wonder how things change in larger competitive play.

edited January 2010
    I think that I'd like to see a 12v12 league (yes, i know logistics for that many people suck). or at least balanced around that. seems less like a flat game....

• redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    besides empty servers, its bothered me that only 4 classes are considered useful in the "competitive" mode.

every class is useful in competitive play and every class gets used. my most recent match, on gravelpit, included a heavy defending C almost every round, engis on defense every single round, a sniper that literally beat us singlehandedly, a spy that ruined one of our pushes with a key soldier pick, and an epic pyro defense on top of C

it's just that those four classes are the most useful and the most often used. but even though demo/soldier/medic/scout are the most common, it's rare that a scrim or match doesn't include at least one of the other classes

edited January 2010
    Here's how it goes down

Medic can't switch because Medic is literally your team's crutch. If your medic dies and the other team's doesn't? You will get pushed back. That's why the pocket soldier and the medic spend most of their time trying to take out the other team's pair while each team's scouts run flank maneuvers.

The roamer is needed to stop the scouts from killing the medic or you lose your point. He can't switch off.

Demo...it's hard to explain without playing, but he's crucial to point defense and offense and it gets quite hard to combat the other team's demo without one of your own.

Scouts, you always want one because their speed allows them to go in for quick pinches at the medic when the roaming soldier isn't looking. This is especially easy with two scouts since you can perform switches easily while the other goes to grab a pack, but it's easily do-able with one if he's good at the class. That leaves the other scout open to switch classes, if need be, based on the current scenario.

I would love to see larger comp-play create a bigger scene because honestly I think it'd be a lot more dynamic.

e: On the subject of other classes in comp matches, you definitely see them played, either in pinch scenarios for defense or for full-on pushes from the offense. It's not uncommon for a spy to show up on the offense side to kill the defense's final point. In fact, a clan by the name of TuN who we used to scrim with rather frequently as practice had a scout that they ran as a scout, but the reason he was on the team was to switch to spy for quick-capping the final two points on any badlands scrim.

my twitter | beats music