As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Nope-tress 2

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DJP3710 wrote: »
    I got to play pseudo-pocket medic to both SirToons and Goomba last night (it's hard not to break off when someone else calls for medic)

You should break off when someone else calls for medic. Pocket medics are shitty medics and can go fuck themselves.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Play natasha heavy. It's easy to play and you'll win games!

Edit: Also yeah pocket medics are dumb. I hate when people pocket medic for me because they're being generally useless. Then again I guess I would be the best to pocket medic since I can completely neutralize projectiles and put fires out!!!!

But seriously don't pocket medic. Like, to all new people. Not singling anyone out but also don't ever heal SirToons. He lets his medics die all the time.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Delish you fucker you crashed the server, and it filled up before I could get back on.
    [playercommands.smx] "tyrannus<114><>" renamed "ra-k<117><>" to "retar-k")

it wasn't meeeeeeeee

MrDelish on
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    DJP3710 wrote: »
    I got to play pseudo-pocket medic to both SirToons and Goomba last night (it's hard not to break off when someone else calls for medic)

You should break off when someone else calls for medic. Pocket medics are shitty medics and can go fuck themselves.

Hence why I said pseudo-pocket medic; I followed them around if I saw them, and since they were close to the action I could break off to heal somebody else that needed it.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heavy's slowness could be pretty frustrating to a new player. I'm going to echo a sentiment earlier expressed in the thread that there is no one best new player class. I mean, there are certainly some that I would not recommend to a brand new player (spy for example is a rough first player class).

For example, some people said Soldier but I am a terrible soldier even after all the TF2 I've played (they are my least played class by far though). I can't rocket jump to save my life.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Y'know, I challenge the assumption that there even is a one best "new player's class". Each of them has nuances that you need to understand to perform well, and weaknesses that will allow them to get killed in specific situations really fast. For a new player, I'd recommend switching classes often. Learn what each of them does and how they interact, and you'll be a much better player overall when you find a class that really clicks with your own strengths.

---

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Virus

Game type variant controlled by plugin.

At the start of the game, all players are assigned a random class, from which they are not allowed to switch. When killed by any enemy, they respawn as the class that killed them.

but surely everyone would eventually end up as a demo due to the sheer overpowered nature of the demo you see
    Some people can't aim pipes somehow also natasha heavies. Server full of heavies.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I vote medic for the new player because it lets them focus on moving correctly without worrying about aiming, and because it guarantees that the new player will have an experienced player right next to them keeping them in the set of useful places to be.

I don't think you're going to die much more often as a newbie medic than as a newbie scout or pyro.

Just say "hai guys i'm a newb who wants to go heavy and have a pocket medic" and you should have a good time.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Please don't encourage new people to be pocket medics. Not only is being a pocket medic a shitty thing to do, you're basically telling them to learn to play by not really playing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heavy's slowness could be pretty frustrating to a new player. I'm going to echo a sentiment earlier expressed in the thread that there is no one best new player class. I mean, there are certainly some that I would not recommend to a brand new player (spy for example is a rough first player class).

For example, some people said Soldier but I am a terrible soldier even after all the TF2 I've played (they are my least played class by far though). I can't rocket jump to save my life.

For me, each class was a lesson about a different aspect of the game. Heavy/Pyro taught me about positioning and not getting in over your head. Scout/Medic taught me how to escape from a fight. Soldier/Demo taught me about aiming and making your shots count. Spies taught me to be paranoid and suspicious of everyone.

Sniper taught me nothing.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seriously make your name "NEWGUY" and play whatever class sounds like the most fun.

I mean either way you're probably gonna be useless for awhile and if people see that the medic is a new guy then they should go medic or they deserve to lose.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I vote the new player picks the class s/he looks interesting and just sink or swim. They'll improve.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Please don't encourage new people to be pocket medics. Not only is being a pocket medic a shitty thing to do, you're basically telling them to learn to play by not really playing.

Skexis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I like that the game rewards you for not being a pocket medic by having you build more uber healing/overhealing lots of people.

I do occasionally go pocket medic mode, but sometimes I feel the situation calls for it. Usually the only time is when a medic is kritzing a heavy, I'll either stick to the medic or the heavy exclusively, depending on where the pressure is, due to the fragile nature of the kritzing duo.

Speaking of Kritz I've become addicted to it, I just find it so much more exciting and satisfying to use than the standard uber. Though it does sort of require having a heavy on your team to really shine. Also the taunt utility is quite nice.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Delish you fucker you crashed the server, and it filled up before I could get back on.
    [playercommands.smx] "tyrannus<114><>" renamed "ra-k<117><>" to "retar-k")

it wasn't meeeeeeeee

Lies!!!!!

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i apologize for nothing

tyrannus on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Y'know, I challenge the assumption that there even is a one best "new player's class". Each of them has nuances that you need to understand to perform well, and weaknesses that will allow them to get killed in specific situations really fast. For a new player, I'd recommend switching classes often. Learn what each of them does and how they interact, and you'll be a much better player overall when you find a class that really clicks with your own strengths.

---

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Virus

Game type variant controlled by plugin.

At the start of the game, all players are assigned a random class, from which they are not allowed to switch. When killed by any enemy, they respawn as the class that killed them.

but surely everyone would eventually end up as a demo due to the sheer overpowered nature of the demo you see
    Some people can't aim pipes somehow also natasha heavies. Server full of heavies.

I still think it'd be a hilarious and fun game type. Kupi once again you are brilliant.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    guys today I found the baker boy scout hat and a camera beard

also I really love the ATF server

thanks, whoever it was I followed in there

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    davincie don't crosspost stuff that is months old

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How well a pyro does is completely dependent on the other team

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Goomba I just don't think you are pressing M1 hard enough.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Then again I guess I would be the best to pocket medic since I can completely neutralize projectiles and put fires out!!!!

This is actually true guys, I speak from personal experience.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BurnsBurns Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What the hell was going on with the Drama Chamber server? Every mapvote was arena?

Also, I feel I have to correct a horrible misconception: I prefixed my name with "Terrible" because I'm new to this game. Not like "Ivan the Terrible", but like terribad.
    I... I hope I used that culture reference correctly

Burns on
    I only posted here for the blue dot.
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Burns wrote: »
    What the hell was going on with the Drama Chamber server? Every mapvote was arena?

Also, I feel I have to correct a horrible misconception: I prefixed my name with "Terrible" because I'm new to this game. Not like "Ivan the Terrible", but like terribad.

You were doing fine as medic on granary, we were beating up on them for a few rounds. But yeah, the drama chamber is fixed now. Just don't vote for arena anymore, it'll break the server and it'll need to be restarted. It was like that a few months ago, something must have rebroken it.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How well a Nat heavy does is completely dependent on his own team

thus he will fail

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You were doing fine as medic on granary, we were beating up on them for a few rounds. But yeah, the drama chamber is fixed now. Just don't vote for arena anymore, it'll break the server and it'll need to be restarted. It was like that a few months ago, something must have rebroken it.

I keep meaning to ask you here. Are you Duke or Palin. Either way, why do you have one or the other in your Sig/Name?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »

I keep meaning to ask you here. Are you Duke or Palin. Either way, why do you have one or the other in your Sig/Name?

I'm Palin, my sig shows my steam_id instead of my ingame name for some reason. My name here on the forum has been RaoulDuke for a long time, I think I had the forum name before the real Raoul Duke joined. If I knew how to change it to BongRipsPalin, though, I would.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How well a Nat heavy does is completely dependent on his own team

thus he will fail
    A natasha heavy is a failure as soon as they pick natasha. Stupid fucking broken pile of shit. It's like demoman only easy.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did enjoy killing "Terrible Burns" felt right.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oh man looks like all the awesome player started with Spy first

it all makes sense now

also being a pocket medic owns, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. being left with one soldier/heavy/demo is better than trying to heal everyone and letting them all die at the same time. try to heal whoever is in the front of the battle most of the time, though you still have to heal injured teammates. but overhealing people right in combat is crucial to ensuring that you guys can punch through the enemy's defenses

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh man looks like all the awesome player started with Spy first

it all makes sense now

also being a pocket medic owns, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. being left with one soldier/heavy/demo is better than trying to heal everyone and letting them all die at the same time. try to heal whoever is in the front of the battle most of the time, though you still have to heal injured teammates. but overhealing people right in combat is crucial to ensuring that you guys can punch through the enemy's defenses
    :whistle:

Don't pocket medic, it annoys your team, annoys the other team and gives you a handicap.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well

there are good pocket medics and bad pocket medics

loose tray is describing a good one, which i'll agree, is sometimes needed when you need a really good push and have a really good player playing the combat class

but personally i believe that most of the time you don't need a pocket medic on a team

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joined the server on the wrong side of getting rolled twice now. Not good times.

Except for when I killed Iowa with my engineer's pistol. That was pretty nice.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When I think of pocket medic I think of some brain dead idiot that heals one person and to get them to heal anyone else their pocket has to A. tell them to heal someone else or B. get tired of people jumping up and down in front of them spamming medic.

Overhealing one guy to break through is fine, but generally you want to keep everyone in the white. Overhealing a heavy at 450 health while there's three people at 30 health is a good way to get at least three people to hate you.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    guys today I found the baker boy scout hat and a camera beard

Last night I got enough metal to craft another hat. Still wanted the ushanka so I tried for a heavy hat. Got a dupe (tuque). Crafted that with my fourth picklehaube and got a trophy belt D:

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I swear to god the next sniper to bodyshot me while I'm rocketjumping
    snipergetsasskickedpng.png

This shit's happening.

T4CT on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wait do you still have two spare pickhaubes?

craft the trophy belt with one of them and see what you get

if you still get something shitty, try again

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    I swear to god the next sniper to bodyshot me while I'm rocketjumping
    snipergetsasskickedpng.png

This shit's happening.

you gotta admit you love my taunts after i bodyshot you while you rocketjump

i mean, who doesn't like to get waved at?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sometimes I read this thread an everyone's terrible ideas and I think to myself, it's just not fair, I want a terrible idea of my own. So I made one!

The buy system. Everyone starts a round with cash, like CSS. Classes and switching unlocks cost cash. You want that Targe? Or that Axe-tinguisher? Natascha? Pony up the Points, then. But Sladvan you say, I'm a terrible team player with no points, I spent them all on a terrible Bonk investment! How can I get more!?

I'm so glad you asked, Fake-SirToons-I-Hear-Only-In-My-Head. What you do is go medic. Or put people out on fire. Or throw Jarate. Or cap a point or defend a point. These things would earn you more TuffTwo Fun Bux to spend on that mighty Sandvich you've been eye'ing. Pricing would be evaluated and fluctuate according to economic patterns tied ot the IMF. Or rather, like the coolest CSS servers thatn o one ever fucking plays on because they are terrible babies. Variable pricing and sales were the best and I had those fuckers who fear change.

Edit: For clarification, healing people are a medic would get you so many fun bucks to play other classes. Eventually, if you just kept going soldier or heavy or demo, you'd run out of money under my model and would forced to be a medic or pyro at some point. Yes, forced. Fuck your fun.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    petition to make backburner to cost the most

if only to hear one person whine till the end of time

undeinPirat on