As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do gay protagonists exist? ( Web Comics and Novels AND MUSIC help )

DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been on a hunt for novels and web comics with gay lead characters. I know thats probably a pretty stupid thing to look for.

Everywhere else ive asked has brought up the question "Why do you care if the protagonist is gay?" And honestly i guess i shouldn't. But i've only come across 2 web comics and one novel trilogy with a gay lead character.

So, if its not an incredibly stupid question to ask....

Do you know of any novels or web comics with lead characters who are gay males?

( All i know of is Khaos Komic by Tab Klimpton, Honeydew Syndrome which is already completed, and the novels Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey. )

EDIT:

Im also looking for GLBT themed music. I know there are a lot of songs ambiguous enough to work for all sexualities... but i for once would like to hear a song about love between two gay men.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drswords on

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Luck in the Shadows and the books after it for sure.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    King's last novel, Cell (?) has a gay character but I'm unsure as to how crucial he was. There is also the sci-fi fantasy Wratheau trilogy by Strom Constantine. Gay is never explicitly said, but it is very homoerotic.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    many bookshops have entire sections devoted to queer / gay fiction. have a browse some time

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Clive Barker's "Sacrament" is a decent modern-day fantasy/mythology novel with a gay protaganist

I found it a fun read, too
    A boy has an encounter with a man who causes extinctions of other species, so he grows up to be a man who documents (and thus appeals for a halt to) those extinctions. This dark fantasy tale is unlike Clive Barker's other recent ones: it is more tightly plotted, and more of this world. In a sequence of well-executed stories within stories (comparable to Russian dolls), Barker unfolds a compelling examination of what it means to be human, to be a man, and to be a gay man--on a planet where aging, disease, and death bring "the passing of things, of days and beasts and men he'd loved." A satisfying long novel packed with vivid images, memorable characters, and a melancholy mood that reaches for hope.

Fletcher on
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    many bookshops have entire sections devoted to queer / gay fiction. have a browse some time

Thats where ive run into a major snag. I live in West Texas for one. And for two, the only bookshop wth a GLBT section ( Hastings ) only carries self help books and romance novels. Frankly im not looking for romantic fluff and smut.

I must say im very interested in this Nightrunner series. It sounds much like the Last Herald Mage Trilogy, where the character happens to be gay, but that isnt the central plot point.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you looking for stories that have a protagonist who happens to be gay, or novels/comics about queer issues?

There was Boy Meets Boy that was succeeded by Friendly Hostility but both are done and pretty old.

Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's son) has a number of books that tend to be featuring gay leads. I've only read A Density of Souls, but it was pretty good. The sequel to Wicked, Son of a Witch features a character which happens to be gay.

There are also an endless number of "Coming Out" novels if you want something that's a little more about actually being gay. There was one I read about high-school football players that I can't remember now but googling "gay football novel" has shown me that there are many such stories.

Asiina on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tales of the City series by Armistad Maupin? I actually really enjoyed these (as did my dad). They're regular fiction, i.e. there's romance and relationships but I wouldn't call them romantic fluff or smut.

Janson on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Diane Duane (of So You Want to be a Wizard fame) wrote a swords/sorcery series with gay leads. Door into Fire is either the first or second book.

John Crowley's Beasts also has a gay protagonist, IIRC.

Can't think of much else.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • LintillaLintilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Girly by Josh Lesnick is a pretty wacky webcomic, but it is also one of the most genuine feeling lesbian romances I've seen when it pauses to be serious for ten seconds.

(Edit: Oh, sorry you said gay MALES.)

(Double Edit: Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley is pretty gay.)

Lintilla on
    edited January 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    Are you looking for stories that have a protagonist who happens to be gay, or novels/comics about queer issues?

There was Boy Meets Boy that was succeeded by Friendly Hostility but both are done and pretty old.

Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's son) has a number of books that tend to be featuring gay leads. I've only read A Density of Souls, but it was pretty good. The sequel to Wicked, Son of a Witch features a character which happens to be gay.

There are also an endless number of "Coming Out" novels if you want something that's a little more about actually being gay. There was one I read about high-school football players that I can't remember now but googling "gay football novel" has shown me that there are many such stories.

Honestly im looking for anything that isnt a romance novel or erotica book.

Its really despicable that Hastings doesnt carry anything but pretty heavy handed smut, or really cheesy romance novels. Also their selection is about 9/10ths lesbian 1/10th gay male.

Ill look into Christopher Rice. Ill also look at the webcomics.

I went ahead and orderd the Nightrunner series. Sounds fantastic.

Im also looking at getting Sacrament.

I mean honeslty i have no problem with coming out stories and the like, its just the whole coming out thing gets depressing and old.

Something i never can seem to find is a book about a gay man's daily life. Not the coming out or anytbing. Just like a "Day in the life of" kinda book. I love those kind of stories, and i have yet to find one with a gay character.

Something ive been repeatedly told over and over by so called friends, and people ive sought advice from elsewhere, is that i shouldnt be bothered by straight protagonists. And im not per se... but i cant relate to straight romantic relationships AT all. I dont understand or have anything in common with the whole seductive lady thing. I mean i appreciate the relationships in books like The Dresden Files, but i dont relate to it.

And its probably pretty asinine that i need to have a gay characrter to relate to, but i grew up without any gay role models whatsoever. The first time i saw a gay character on tv was Will and Grace, and that was horrible. I didnt discover Queer As Folk until i was in my twenties, and even it is sorta.... extreme. Im not a club junkie, and i dont go around looking for guys to "screw" so i dont realy understand the mindsets of the characters.

I guess im rambling.
    Lintilla wrote: »
    Girly by Josh Lesnick is a pretty wacky webcomic, but it is also one of the most genuine feeling lesbian romances I've seen when it pauses to be serious for ten seconds.

(Edit: Oh, sorry you said gay MALES.)

(Double Edit: Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley is pretty gay.)

Sorry. I mean i dont been to be excluding... its just that im not a lesbian... Sorry... I know that kinda comes off assholish, and i know the whole GLBT thing is about community or whatever, but i dont live in a community. I dont have any gay friends anymore, and i dont know any lesbians.. so i dont quite get the whole "we are a community" thing. Maybe if i lived in san fransicso.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In Robin Wayne Bailey's Brothers of the Dragon series, one of the two main protagonists is a closeted homosexual. Part of the trilogy deals with the death of his lover.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited January 2010
    It's totally understandable.

Is there a university in your town with a GLBT centre? They may have a library for you to borrow from or be able to recommend somewhere to get gay fiction that's not just grocery store level smut.

Asiina on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know why it'd be a stupid thing to search out. It's perfectly reasonable to want to find a gay protagonist; obviously you'd want a character who goes beyond "being gay is my character!", but they seem rare enough that a search is justified.

KalTorak on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wratheau isn't erotica but it does have some sexual moments that are described in non-human sex ways. I really really enjoyed it as a fantasy/sci-fi.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited January 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    It's totally understandable.

Is there a university in your town with a GLBT centre? They may have a library for you to borrow from or be able to recommend somewhere to get gay fiction that's not just grocery store level smut.

Well there were no GLBT groups or anything at Angelo State when i went. Dont know if that has changed.

I acutally dont know of a GLBT anything in town. No local PFLAG chapter, no Gay and Lesbian Alliance. Nothing.

I havent actually looked at the Public Library in a long time, but seeing as its West Texas, i doubt they would carry many books with Gay leads.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Well, they might, but if you're looking for something that's just a story that happens to have a gay protagonist, they wouldn't be easy to spot.

Asiina on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    glad you ordered the nightrunner series, it is one i really enjoy a lot. i love roguish type characters, and swords and sorcery type stuff while the characters are working to defeat some big evil haha.

it has homosexuality and bisexuality in it, and exploring finding out how the characters actually feel without it being a smutty romance novel.

also, it is completely normal to want more protagonists you can relate to in romantic matters. the problem i have run across with gay males in fantasy type novels is that the writer very often makes them so damn tragic. dead lover type of thing. why can't there be more books where the lead/important characters just like men? doesn't have to be a focus, a problem or a driving force.

hopefully we'll see more novels like that published in the future.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I stumbled upon this novel Havemercy at the book store. Two of the four main characters are gay, though they are involved in a romance as a side plot.

Lorek on
    edited January 2010
    Belruel wrote: »
    glad you ordered the nightrunner series, it is one i really enjoy a lot. i love roguish type characters, and swords and sorcery type stuff while the characters are working to defeat some big evil haha.

it has homosexuality and bisexuality in it, and exploring finding out how the characters actually feel without it being a smutty romance novel.

also, it is completely normal to want more protagonists you can relate to in romantic matters. the problem i have run across with gay males in fantasy type novels is that the writer very often makes them so damn tragic. dead lover type of thing. why can't there be more books where the lead/important characters just like men? doesn't have to be a focus, a problem or a driving force.

hopefully we'll see more novels like that published in the future.

Yea, as much as i enjoyed The Last Herald Mage Trilogy, it was extremely tragic. I cried probably twice during each novel. ( that makes me sound like such a pansy )

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay has a gay protagonist, and it's about comics! (sort of)

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited January 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay has a gay protagonist, and it's about comics! (sort of)

Oh man. Just reading the description for this... This sounds like a real winner! ^_^

Im actually overjoyed right now. Im finding so many good books thanks to all of you!

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drswords wrote: »

Oh man. Just reading the description for this... This sounds like a real winner! ^_^

Im actually overjoyed right now. Im finding so many good books thanks to all of you!

It's seriously one of my favorite books of all time--you'll love it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Beat'd to suggest Michael Chabon ... besides K & C, Wonder Boys and Mysteries of Pittsburgh also deal with homosexuality. Great author.

RazzleDazz on
    edited January 2010
    RazzleDazz wrote: »
    Beat'd to suggest Michael Chabon ... besides K & C, Wonder Boys and Mysteries of Pittsburgh also deal with homosexuality. Great author.

Is Wonder Boys the novel the movie is based off of? Cause i love that movie. ( Its where i knew Tobey Maguire from ... )

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does it have to be gay male?

Sarah Dreyer writes a lot of mediocre detective-type novels
    the main character's name is Stoner Mctavish if you want to even try to understand that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Dreher

Raneados on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RazzleDazz wrote: »

Is Wonder Boys the novel the movie is based off of? Cause i love that movie. ( Its where i knew Tobey Maguire from ... )

Yes, it is!

Kavalier and Clay is one of my all time favorites, and definitely deserving of the Pulitzer. Most definitely worth a read!

LavaKnight on
    edited January 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    does it have to be gay male?

Sarah Dreyer writes a lot of mediocre detective-type novels
    the main character's name is Stoner Mctavish if you want to even try to understand that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Dreher

Well for my needs.. yes. Feel free to post any GLBT novels you reccomend here though. I mean, why not help everyone while helping me, ya know?

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I just started reading this (only read one Chabon book before)...

It. is. AWESOME.

KalTorak on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I read a really great novel called The First Verse with a gay main character a while back.

Hachface on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    If comic books count, Greg Rucka's current Detective Comics run stars Batwoman, who is a lesbian, and the back-up comic in every issue stars The Question, who is also a lesbian

Renee Montoya/The Question and Kate Kane/Batwoman are both some of the main characters in the 52 comic series, and in The Question: Five Books of Blood and Final Crisis: Revelations

edit: whoops those are girls not boys, sorry

Garlic Bread on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

I just started reading this (only read one Chabon book before)...

It. is. AWESOME.

Yeah, I think just about any geek that is kind of literary would enjoy this.

Saddler on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hurray for more people reading the Nightrunner trilogy! *does a little dance* Love those books. If you enjoy the world, check out the prequels as well. The Tamir triad, I believe it's called.

I'm scouring my memory for any other books I've read with a gay male protagonist that wasn't "just gay fiction" but I'm coming up a blank. S'too bad, I loved the first three Nightrunner books so hard, and I'd love to see that done in other genres. Just "hey, so the main character's gay, now let's get on with the story."

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Um...
    there are lots of books with gay protagonists.

Jeannette Winterson, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit (lesbian in England's bible belt)
    Allison Bechdel, Dykes to Watch Out For (a comic strip collected into books; I found it addictive)
    Everything by Samuel Delany (Deviant Age sci fi)
    William S. Burroughs stuff
    Edmund White stuff

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dancer from the Dance is a novel about gay nightlife in 1970s New York. It's dated, but extremely well written.

Hachface on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    If you listen to the right people, every manga.

Ever.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lord of the rings

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan (not that great a book though)

The Last Rune series by Mark Anthony

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stephen Fry's Making History.
    Also a fine novel generally.

Xagarath on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    The Long Firm by Jake Arnott.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's been a while since I've read them, but I enjoyed Steven Harper's (no, not that one) Dreamer books. I think the titles were Dreamer, Nightmare, Trickster and Offspring, but I'm not a 100% sure. Gay male protagonist, and he's in a healthy relationship in at least one of the books. Plus it's a bit like Star Wars.

Klorgnum on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan (not that great a book though)

Compared to his Science Fiction work I was disappointed with his first work of Fantasy.

Ethea on
This discussion has been closed.