As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ankle - Sprained or Broken?

gwave47gwave47 Registered User new member
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Just booked a pretty awesome vacation two weeks ago and can't afford to go to the doctor unless I absolutely need to so would like some insight from other who have experienced broken and sprained ankles.

I was playing basketball a week ago and when I jumped I came down on someone else's foot. My ankle rolled outward and I heard a loud popping noise. I couldn't bear wait on it for about 5 min. but then was able to walk out to the car and drive myself home, it didn't hurt bad to walk but I did feel some discomfort and I couldn't push off when stepping with the injured foot.

Within 45 minutes my ankle and entire foot became severely swollen (couldn't fit in any shoe). 30 hours later bruising appeared on the joint on the inside of my ankle, just before my toes, and on the entire outside of my foot where the ankle rolled.

It was two days before I could walk or bear weight. The bruising has reduced by half and the swelling is now only in the area of the ankle. It does not hurt at all even when I walk on it, but it still feels uncomfortable and I cannot push of with the bad foot. It doesn't hurt to touch the bruised areas or anywhere else on the ankle. I can move my toes, but cannot rotate the ankle. I have had this happen once before and it was just a severe sprain?

Any thoughts? I know it can be broken, but just wanted to hear an opinion based on other's previous experiences regarding pain, swelling, bruising, ability to walk and stand, etc.

gwave47 on

• Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    POP goes your ligaments!

It sounds like a sprain (bruising, swelling, popping). What do you mean you can't push off with the bad foot or rotate the ankle? Because of pain, or you're physically impeded? But anyways, here's a link:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/anklesprain.htm

I'd immobilize it, at least by taping it. It's been a week so maybe it's just healed to where it doesn't hurt so much. Like the link says, if you really think it might be broken or it doesn't get better, see a doctor. I'm assuming you don't have insurance? The x-ray will run you about $250, plus the doctor visit itself. You could always call and ask how much it'd be.

I suspect it's a sprain, if it were broken putting weight on it would still hurt.

BlochWave on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This happened to me a few weeks ago while hammered. I was fine after a few weeks. I didn't do anything particularly special to fix it, just kept off it as much as possible and did as few steps as possible.

I also looked a little like quasi moto mixed with Mick foley for awhile, but it should be good.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would agree with the taping, immobilizing. So if this vacation involves any strenuous activities, watch it.

Gf is about to be a doc, according to her go to a doctor if it doesn't get better and get an x-ray. Because it might be broken from the sound of it. Popping also could have been a dislocation.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Definitely sounds like a sprain. I did the exact injury to myself several years back. My whole foot turned green with 1 intense purple bruise on either side of my ankle.

I picked up an air cast to immobilize it, and was walking on it within a day or two without pain. It was pretty damn surprising when it happened, as I'd never broken/sprained anything like that at that point.

Artereis on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the pop is a sprain, I had one playing tennis a few months back, only my ankle rolled in. It still did everything you described, and I was able to play at 100% after about a month (where I wear an ankle brace and was super paranoid for another month).

The only thing I can advise is that you brace yourself whenever you get up to stand or whatever from a seat. I'm used to letting my feet brace me up when I get up like all able bodied people in their 20's are, and sometimes your sprained ankle might buckle and do a mini roll, where it just hurts and you just cuss yourself out.

TexiKen on