As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pukio's Sketchbook (NSFW)

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Nice work, pukio, getting ever better I see. Your designs and doodles both inspire me to draw more from imagination and to do more cartoon stuff.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Pukio, if your artings were a woman I would engage in coitus acts with her because she is just so tremendously sexy.
    Ohh Arden you dirty rascal \(・。・)\

• Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    Why I do declare--!

(But in all seriousness, aaaah! Thanks you guys.)

felix.png

I spent a lot of time staring at pictures of bubble eye fish. They are so unsettling looking.

• Options
    redroom.png

natashawip.png

And lastly, I've been staring at a lot of Robert Carter lately and started to do a copy of one of his paintings - but then got really lazy.

hartnclivejunk.png

• Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    What I like about the North Wind sketches is the cragginess. Many artists are afraid to give their female forms bumps (other than the obvious ones). There's something compelling about the long point West Wind's nose comes to (an homage to the wicked witch of the west, perhaps?)

• Options
    @Vox: Hey thanks man. I keep thinking I might redraw those characters at some point...

Aaand I think I'm calling this done. Or as close to it as it's likely to get.

hartnclivejunk-1.png

• Options
    Miscellaneous hooha:

mischooha.png

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Phfft, doublepost.

Pukio on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    I like staring at pukio's junk.

• Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nic wrote: »
    I like staring at pukio's junk.

The art is pretty good too.

edit: I'm sorry, I was blatantly riding your fashionable coat tails with that joke.

bebarce on
  • Options
    Slow clap.

(But ha, thanks guys!)

• Options
    sketches.png

Some quick studies, about 10-15 minutes each. References used, some more closely than others.

• Options
    hart2.png

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Oooh, the pattern and lighting on that last one are really eye catching.

• Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    Again, great noses! The two be-suited men talking you really distinguish how they look using nose structure. Especially with the almost profile/3/4 view his almost bulbous nose makes you think of someone who isn't afraid to do an underhanded deal.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    So where'd you get your ref for that unicorn eh? I agree with flay, it's a very eye catching pattern but look out for that tangent with his cheekbone.

• Options
    Whoa hey, thanks guys! @Menace: I have a very thorough collection of unicorn references. (Thanks for pointing out the tangent - I hadn't really taken any notice of it.)

And some more futzing around. I'm really liking this stringy square brush.

barlighting.png

• Options
    Just some sketches.

howisketchnow.png

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    the unicorn deserves a solo strip.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    I imagine unicorn's solo strip is unicorn having academic conversations about medieval literature: "The big question is whether the Wife of Bath acts as critique or in support of feminist rights."

natashajunk.png

• Options
    I've been watching a lot of Motorcity. Also, the designs in Tron: Uprising are really interesting. The art direction in both shows is really a+.

junk55.png

• Options
    Was doing some scribbling, got done with coloring this waist up and then was like "...screw it, I'll draw in legs for once." OH MY GOD I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT SHOE. I mean, I won't be able to draw the other one - BUT THAT ONE IS A PERFECT UNICORN BLESSING.

holyshit.png

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Really liking the feel of the last one. You should draw more full figures! The confidence in the lines on that one is also very evident/nice.

• Options
    Aah, thanks Iruka!

Uh, some more idle character design experiments in the same universe I guess. These pants are dumb, but I'm fond of the jacket.

marcus.png

• Options
    practice2.png

• Options
    edited October 2012
    boxing.png

I'm not dead yet.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Your art is super cool and refreshing! I especially love your colors and the moods you capture!

• Options
    Hey man - thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    sprint3-1.png
    sprint4-1.png
    studies2.png
    bondgirls.png

oriane.png

Pukio on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Where'd you ref those dudes from, Pukio?
    P.S. Nice dudes

• Options
    Reffed from here. It's been a super handy tool for some quick figure practice since we don't have any public classes in my area. What I wouldn't give for a good local group.

Doofy fanart:

barsmall.png

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Pukio post more-io!

The ear on the knight looks like it's about 2 inches too far back on the head.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Aaaah, you are totally right. How did I miss that? Thanks; totally gonna fix that once I get back where I can touch the file.

ohdear.png

Don't like the arm at all, so I'll be redrawing that. The angle of the elbow's too soft and there's no power in it. Got too focused on drawing the gun. May end up reducing the scale so I have a more dynamic shape there. Debating on whether it'd be more visually appealing to shift things over so the red line goes down the center?

bb.png

Aaand the longer I work on this, the lumpier and more lopsided it gets. But whatever, onward and upward.

Also, for something completely different (excuse the incongruous username; I'm too lazy to adjust it):

2012meme.png

These month to month memes are really depressing. On the one hand: I feel like I've improved a lot over the course of this year and have worked to challenge myself more as an artist in terms of scope. I've also "finished" more things this year than I have probably in like... ever. On the other hand, it's frustrating looking back at some of the stuff I created earlier in the year and being far more happy with it than I am with the stuff I've been working on recently.

Goals for the future: Get back to some of that looser brush work while maintaining what I feel is a better understanding of both form and color. Draw fewer floating heads. Do some environment studies. Do more lighting and figure studies. Do more studies period.

Pukio on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You really got a knack for inking and cartooning.

I feel like everyone goes through transition periods, don't be too hard on yourself over a few months of exploratory work. The Nice things about these sorts of retrospectives is they tend to remind you what you really like to work on.

but everyone can always use more full figures and environments, so I wont steer you away from that

• Options
    No yeah, I definitely feel like getting a good look at the work I've done this year in a row makes me more aware of the things I like versus the things I'm not terribly fond of. Makes it easier to kind of consciously make a choice re: using certain techniques where and when.

In other news, not really sure how I feel about this yet:

howdoenvirosmall.png

• Options
    howdoenvirosmall-1.png

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    It looks good! I think you could use some more highlights on the figure to define it more if you plan on keeping it that dark against the environment. That or some more contrast with the atmospheric light.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    howdoenviro2small.png

Maybe?

Also, some quick Hobbit fanart. Pretty crooked, but not terrible for an hour of work. Concentrating on trying a few new things with color and brush technique:

hothobbits.png

Pukio on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't believe that last pic only took you an hour. I could maybe do his face, badly, in an hour.

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    Yes props on that last one, despite the fairly generic fantasy elements I knew who it was immediately.