As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Zombie Gabe demands headshots - IHateMountains campaign,survivor nerfs

• Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I found a way to leap out of the level in the Passing incredibly easily just now - it's so easy I'm pretty sure it's already known, but what the hell:

In the finale, when the bridge has lowered you can jump off the part of the bridge on the left, onto the small bit of shore bordering the water. You can walk all the way round and eventually reach places where you can see through level geometry etc.

Pic of just outside the area:
    c6m3port0000.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Discovered when we finished the whole campaign on expert save the finale and realised that it was just completely stupid and irritating, we switched to easy and tried to hold out after the bridge was lowered.

A friend was hooked by a smoker and was somehow dragged through the gap in the bridge onto the shore part, after getting saved he wandered about a while and we assumed there was no way back for him. Then another friend just... leapt through the gap.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The hunter is also the only si that can kill someone really fast. I know he kills much faster than the charger, smoker, or jocky.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really? The Charger does a good chunk of damage with each pound.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    The hunter is also the only si that can kill someone really fast. I know he kills much faster than the charger, smoker, or jocky.

Nah. I think the charger kills faster. The hunter does 10 damage per hit. The charger does 15. Even if the hunter hits a little bit faster than the charger (and I'm not sure that he does), the charger's extra damage makes him kill faster. Face it, the charger is a badass.

Edit: Of course, I'm talking about versus mode. No idea what things are like in regular mode.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They are about equal on terms of DPS really, the Charger may eek out the advantage but 9 times out of ten the huntered survivor is down within the next 2 seconds.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it might seem like the charger kills faster because he's tougher to kill and can get more hits in before death

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just curious; does the charger do more damage if he can slam his target against the ceiling as well as the floor, or is it purely animation?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    enderjsv wrote: »
    Edit: Of course, I'm talking about versus mode. No idea what things are like in regular mode.
    Hunter is a fucking chainsaw on expert, he chews through those extra 300 hp a downed survivor gets in less than half the time it takes another pinning SI.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Just curious; does the charger do more damage if he can slam his target against the ceiling as well as the floor, or is it purely animation?

I didn't even know the Charger could do this. Stupid inside hallways always having something to get stuck on.

Willeth on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Its a standard thing.

Also on the hunter pounces: It doesn't matter how often you get the 25 point pounce, when you get it nothing else feels better.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    The Charger makes me want an SI playground more than ever (and maybe we'll see it in Mutations). I just can't figure out the hitbox. Sometimes I'll knock someone over who was clearly nowhere near, and other times I'll bowl through a whole group and only actually hit two of them.

Lag. It's all about the lag.

Yeah, it's something that Steam games fuck up far too much. There's very good lag compensation for weapons (the server rewinds to the data that it guesses you were seeing based on ping, and does hit detection on that). However, when it comes to physical models interacting, there seems to be none. As a result, you always have to lead your targets by a rather stupid degree.

Garthor on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    The Charger makes me want an SI playground more than ever (and maybe we'll see it in Mutations). I just can't figure out the hitbox. Sometimes I'll knock someone over who was clearly nowhere near, and other times I'll bowl through a whole group and only actually hit two of them.

Yeah, it's something that Steam games fuck up far too much. There's very good lag compensation for weapons (the server rewinds to the data that it guesses you were seeing based on ping, and does hit detection on that). However, when it comes to physical models interacting, there seems to be none. As a result, you always have to lead your targets by a rather stupid degree.

Does that include standard melee attacks? I always felt that it was harder to land them online than in single player...

Burnage on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I get this really annoying error pretty frequently, my FPS will drop for a minute or two then the whole screen goes blue. The only way to temporarily fix it is to alt tab out and back in, though the FPS are still low afterwards and the blue thing is very likely to happen again.

Some nights this doesn't happen at all, and some it's every game. So annoying. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Its a standard thing.

Also on the hunter pounces: It doesn't matter how often you get the 25 point pounce, when you get it nothing else feels better.

One thing feels better. The twenty-five point *flaming* pounce. I only managed it twice in L4D1, but man, it was glorious.

Still haven't gotten a 25 pointer in L4D2.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hunter got nerfed pretty bad for L4D2. Not directly but just the complete lack of tall buildings in all of the maps, and the huuuge increase in invisible fucking walls all over anywhere that looks remotely interesting for pouncing.

Also, 2 hunters at once increased the value of each individually, you don't really get that anymore now that there are 5 standard SI. The charger is awesome, make no mistake, but hunter attacks have the capacity to be far more 'surprise!' and it wasn't that hard to hit at least 15 impact damage on most L4D maps.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Burnage wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

Does that include standard melee attacks? I always felt that it was harder to land them online than in single player...

Melee attacks SHOULD still use the proper prediction. At that distance, the quarter-second latency that you could have would mean you would have to be swinging at nothing to hit something moving. Collisions lagging a bit might make things wonky, though, as will the tiny amount of error being compounded by the short range.

Garthor on
  • Options
    isndlisndl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melee attacks work fine for the most part unless the target is moving at a high velocity (e.g. Hunters, and to a lesser extent Chargers). You have to 'pre-fire' to land a melee properly in those cases, since the server will think you're already grabbed by the time it receives the command.

isndl on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Hunter got nerfed pretty bad for L4D2. Not directly but just the complete lack of tall buildings in all of the maps, and the huuuge increase in invisible fucking walls all over anywhere that looks remotely interesting for pouncing.

Also, 2 hunters at once increased the value of each individually, you don't really get that anymore now that there are 5 standard SI. The charger is awesome, make no mistake, but hunter attacks have the capacity to be far more 'surprise!' and it wasn't that hard to hit at least 15 impact damage on most L4D maps.

Invisible goddamn walls everywhere. No fun.

At least let me crouch on ceilings, like spiderman

Jintor on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah. I think the charger kills faster. The hunter does 10 damage per hit. The charger does 15. Even if the hunter hits a little bit faster than the charger (and I'm not sure that he does), the charger's extra damage makes him kill faster. Face it, the charger is a badass.

The hunter does 8 damage per hit to the charger's 15, but the hunter hits a pinned survivor at least twice as fast as the charger hits a grabbed survivor.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, thats the last time I play Versus when Rak and Goose are on the same team. D:

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hunters are great on the DC finale, the high balconies are easy 25 point pounces.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Well, thats the last time I play Versus when Rak and Goose are on the same team. D:

Oh boy.

Endaro on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Oh boy.
    All PA versus

Rak:"Guys help im being smoked"
    Me:"Okay where are you"
    Rak:"HEY GUYS IM BEING SMOKED"
    Me:"WHERE ARE YOU"
    Me:"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU SAY SOMETHING"
    Rak:"Okay Im dead thanks alot guys"

Goose: "Godamnit stop going one by one you dumbasses!"
    -Later on the same map-
    Rak:"Okay, so we're gonna wait up on this roof"
    Goose: *as charger*"wait no I already told you what im doing"
    R:"No we're gonna stop them from getting the cola up here"
    G:*proceeds to charge off the roof alone into survivors before they open the door, missing them completely and getting killed*
    G:"good job guys, you're letting them get cola already"

They both rage'd after a witch got stuck on a desk in Dead Center 3

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you guys playing the XBOX version now?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is anyone still willing to play L4D1? The first time I played a game from this franchise was only a few weeks ago so it's all fresh to me. I enjoyed playing the shit out of offline L4D2 on the 360 so much that I popped my Steam cherry and bought the 2-pack for the PC last week. I'm really excited about L4D1 in particular since I've hardly played it, and I understand it's a different feel. So I wondered if anyone was interested in accompanying me through a campaign or two in the first game sometime this weekend? I feel so formal asking here in the thread instead of say the Armadeaddon chat, but I won't have access to my PC or Steam (I'm mogdemon by the way) until I get home sometime tomorrow.

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mogdemon wrote: »
    Is anyone still willing to play L4D1? The first time I played a game from this franchise was only a few weeks ago so it's all fresh to me. I enjoyed playing the shit out of offline L4D2 on the 360 so much that I popped my Steam cherry and bought the 2-pack for the PC last week. I'm really excited about L4D1 in particular since I've hardly played it, and I understand it's a different feel. So I wondered if anyone was interested in accompanying me through a campaign or two in the first game sometime this weekend? I feel so formal asking here in the thread instead of say the Armadeaddon chat, but I won't have access to my PC or Steam (I'm mogdemon by the way) until I get home sometime tomorrow.

Give me a couple of weeks to get my PC upgrade and I'll be all over that. In fact, we still need to do that all-eleven-campaigns-on-expert-360 thing we were talking about a while ago.

Willeth on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

While that doesn't look too bad, "from the creators of Portal Prelude" doesn't seem like a great advertisement when everything I've read about Portal Prelude is that it sucks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

While that doesn't look too bad, "from the creators of Portal Prelude" doesn't seem like a great advertisement when everything I've read about Portal Prelude is that it sucks.

I always heard it was pretty good, just nowhere near as good as the original.

Which is kinda to be expected.

Never played it myself, though.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mogdemon wrote: »

Give me a couple of weeks to get my PC upgrade and I'll be all over that. In fact, we still need to do that all-eleven-campaigns-on-expert-360 thing we were talking about a while ago.

I'm game to do the expert campaigns on L4D1 (360). Still haven't gotten any of those.

Ceno on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Last Man on Earth user vids turned out better than expected

Wicked Witches

Chainsaw adrenaline something something

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=3908

Alegis on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Crap, my "Look at Future Mutations" video is becoming less and less up-to-date.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That Zoey video was glorious.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chainsaw Massacre is kind of boring, CI aren't a threat anymore. Plus the noise gets pretty old pretty fast. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

I'm game to do the expert campaigns on L4D1 (360). Still haven't gotten any of those.
    I'd be down, i'm in the same boat as you!

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm feeling nostalgic for L4D1 sometimes, I'd be down to play that.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

ihatemountains is OUT NOW

http://www.ihatemountains.com/download/

Anyone want to play it soon?

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If I bought L4D1 now, just to play through the campaigns, would I be able to find games?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    If I bought L4D1 now, just to play through the campaigns, would I be able to find games?

I think you could. You might have to be patient with the Armadeaddon chat to find players, but you could probably manage to get all five campaigns run through.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »

Probably. There are 2,127 people playing it right now, so it's not entirely dead.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.