As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For anyone that is getting ready to start this server is severely lacking in melee classes. If you want to be assured that you can find a group I suggest you roll warrior, shadowknight, or paladin. Also keep in mind that taunt is currently not working as intended so warriors have a tougher time holding agro.

The server is overheavy with casters especially enchanters. If it is one thing we really do not need it is enchanters they are fucking everywhere. Server could also use a lot more rogues in my opinion.

Shogun on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so, I'm a little confused on this. It's a free server, meaning no monthly payments, but you have to buy the expansions from SOE or whoever?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    so, I'm a little confused on this. It's a free server, meaning no monthly payments, but you have to buy the expansions from SOE or whoever?

You could get 'em off ebay or amazon used, you don't need the serial number. You need that specific version of the game though to install or else it won't be compatible with the server.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You need Everquest Titanium.

This isn't a complicated thing to locate via non-physical means..

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh ok

thanks =)

edit: I can't wait to get my Shaman on again =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Everyone needs to start posting screenshots of how they have their UI set up. I'm really fumbling around with this and having a hard time making it flow.

same with keybinds. Any that you change/create right off the bat?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Everyone needs to start posting screenshots of how they have their UI set up. I'm really fumbling around with this and having a hard time making it flow.

same with keybinds. Any that you change/create right off the bat?

I posted a couple screenshots earlier with my UI setup in them, let me see if I can find my post to quote.

Here we go:
    Darmak wrote: »
    I was using the right button and it was saying it was taking screenshots, but I had to run eqgame.exe as an admin before it would actually add any screenshots to the folder. So I shall post a couple for everyone's viewing benefit:
    EQscreenshot1.jpg
    EQscreenshot2.jpg

The only difference now is that I have the .mp3 player (hit alt+k to bring it up) in the upper left corner, almost completely transparent. Some macros that I made buttons for are /assist, one that is pretty much, "/g I have pulled %t, get ready to fight!", one to /shout across the zone that I have a train going to a zone entrance (for Crushbone and other dungeons), and one to drag my /corpse.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my monk in the guild, level 3 named Quinn. Haven't decided if he'll be my main yet, but I just actually sat down to play for the first time in a week yesterday only to get called by the GF. I had forgotten how painful leveling is until you group (no one will take a level 3 monk in a commonlands group because I'd be a drain). I'll keep working on him this week and weekend, or possibly if I find myself disliking him, work on my Bard or an SK (holding aggro with an SK is no problem with Choking Cloud and the first Darkness spell).

About the UI's: I downloaded the Velious UI from the Getting Started link on the Project 1999 forums, but am kind of regretting it because I like having the differentiation between the text window and the chatbar (in the velious UI you just kind of chat at the bottom of the window and there doesn't appear to be a seperate area (like the greyish/brownish area show in the screenshots in the post above). Might switch back to regular, if that's what Darmak is using because I like that, unless I can figure out how to get separate bars in the text windows. There certainly could be a setting I just can't find. If anyone knows, let me know.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh god Sense Heading, north facing sword, dervs! I miss you EQ!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sense heading is broken and won't skill up from use, ever. You have to train it at your guild master for it to go up any. Apparently when they started project 1999 everyone started with 200 sense heading and the devs didn't like that so they changed it so everyone starts with 0 so now sense heading doesn't work except for those who had original characters. However, the north facing swords and such still work, plus casters (at least the cleric and paladin) get True North so it's not like everyone is totally helpless. :D

edit; the same goes for swimming, which really sucks because I always liked swimming

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I always liked levelling up trivial skills.

It looks like "Sneak" doesn't work like that anymore? It used to say something like "You're walking as loud as a herd of elephants!" or something similar.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I...I hate you guys. Totally playing now.

I thought I was done =(

Makartiz level 1 Shadowknight

Vladimer on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You don't hate us. :)

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God, I'm in on this too. There goes my life . . .

Magna, level 8 Magician. Oh god, Magicians are soooo much fun.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It looks like "Sneak" doesn't work like that anymore? It used to say something like "You're walking as loud as a herd of elephants!" or something similar.

The success/fail message was added later on, IIRC. Originally you could only tell if it worked by the speed decrease, or by changes in the way mobs conned you.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The success/fail message was added later on, IIRC. Originally you could only tell if it worked by the speed decrease, or by changes in the way mobs conned you.

Hmm from what I remember sneak always had a fail/success message at least for rogues. I played a rogue since release. But wasn't there a racial sneak for halflings? IIRC that didn't have the fail/success message from the begining, and was added later.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay, roster updated, but it's practically impossible for me to keep doing so, so I'm just throwing everyone else in as anonymous.

Once again, if you need an invite to the guild, send a /tell to Dyne, Celestialsky, Duumas, Ogrebob, or Manafee.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    South Karana expedition : It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...it was the blurst of times...

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm emotional from nostalgia reading this thread.

Riverdale music... Mooto... Halfing druid kiting in the Lava(something) Mountains.

And then I remember all the times I literally cried (I was pretty young) after dying and losing hours and hours of experience points and realize why I stopped. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good and bad EQ night.

Good: Dinged 22!

Bad: Was power leveling a lowbie in the guild, who managed to pull too much, and I ended up dead. Luckily, I did not lose a level.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the Xp loss and corpse recovery is the only thing stopping me from giving this ago. I just dont' hate my self like I used to ;P

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Corpse recovery and xp loss aren't nearly as bad as I remembered. I haven't had an issue getting my corpse yet (of course, I'm only level 7 and haven't traveled far either so take that with a grain of salt) and while I did go down a level due to a death it only took me a few minutes to regain the lost xp.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corpse recovery and xp loss aren't nearly as bad as I remembered. I haven't had an issue getting my corpse yet (of course, I'm only level 7 and haven't traveled far either so take that with a grain of salt) and while I did go down a level due to a death it only took me a few minutes to regain the lost xp.

I would agree with this up until about 20 minutes ago, when I fell off a ledge in UGuk into some water, floundered around for about 3 minutes, then crawled up into a red con skeletal monk's chambers and got my dick lopped off in half a second.

Then I Alt-F4'd.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah man, I went into Uguk today with a bunch of other 13s. We did pretty well, camped the Squire room. I managed to snag a Runed Bone Fork (I think its called) - 200-300pp right there apparently. Ka-ching.

Good xp too. Fuck this game, why do I not get bored playing it.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pardzh wrote: »

I would agree with this up until about 20 minutes ago, when I fell off a ledge in UGuk into some water, floundered around for about 3 minutes, then crawled up into a red con skeletal monk's chambers and got my dick lopped off in half a second.

Then I Alt-F4'd.

Get a rogue to drag your corpse out.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ah man, I went into Uguk today with a bunch of other 13s. We did pretty well, camped the Squire room. I managed to snag a Runed Bone Fork (I think its called) - 200-300pp right there apparently. Ka-ching.

Good xp too. Fuck this game, why do I not get bored playing it.

RBF is awesome, except when you accidentally throw it at your target. I remember someone doing this and then /ragequit.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    pardzh wrote: »

Then I Alt-F4'd.

Get a rogue to drag your corpse out.

Or a necro to summon it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Draeven wrote: »
    the Xp loss and corpse recovery is the only thing stopping me from giving this ago. I just dont' hate my self like I used to ;P

Those are some of the things I LOVE about EverQuest. Aside from the occasional stupid death you will have, which you will rage about, it teaches you to become a better player. It weeds out the people that are unable to group well because their reputation begins to proceed them, and no one invites them in groups. It also brings something to the myriad of dungeons that are strewn throughout Norrath: excitement. Knowing that the deeper you head into the dungeon, the more dangerous it becomes with the risk of death, but you trudge on anyhow, and when you get all the way to the end, and everyone survives... it is the biggest feeling of accomplishment ever.

Fuck, I really love this game.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    pdxaaronpdxaaron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is what I love about it as well. In wow, anyone can continue to level up to max and will end up screwing your group with their idiocracy. When you have a real penalty for death, their's a limit you can reach in the game unless you learn to play it the right way.

That being said. I remember the level after a hell level was super fast exp, but the death penalty was super rough for that level (what is it 45 hell, 46 easy xp level or something like that). I remember a rough run on Naxx causing me half of 46 and 3/4 of the level back into 45 back in the day. So f-ing evil.... Maybe that's why I'm back :) I must be a Masochist.

pdxaaron on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Welp, server just went down again. This is the only thing that's starting to grate a bit, would happily pay a small sub for the annoying stuff to get sorted D:.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you could probably use a break anyways guy. :mrgreen:

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Never.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's usually only down for like, ten minutes!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure it was actually down. I was just too raged to see that p99 was the single yellow server and not the other one.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did anyone here play on Zebuxoruk?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some generic questions that may have already been asked -

How do hybrids hold up? (Rng, Pal, SK) It looks like they left the experience penalties in, but I never felt (at least in original EQ) that hybrids deserved it. You ended up being mediocre at everything in the end. (lower skill caps & low rank spells) Rangers didn't even get decent archery until what, Velious or maybe even after.

Did they put back in some of the rare fun items that SOE gutted out - like the manastone, guise of the deceiver, jboots, some others I forgot.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fryhole wrote: »

How do hybrids hold up? (Rng, Pal, SK) It looks like they left the experience penalties in, but I never felt (at least in original EQ) that hybrids deserved it. You ended up being mediocre at everything in the end. (lower skill caps & low rank spells) Rangers didn't even get decent archery until what, Velious or maybe even after.

Did they put back in some of the rare fun items that SOE gutted out - like the manastone, guise of the deceiver, jboots, some others I forgot.

this is as it was released in 1999, so manastones and rubicite, all that stuff is still dropping right now.

for hybrids, at lvl 14, i see a good number of paladin's and sk's around, and they do fine, though they lvl slower than other classes. warrior/rogue/monk/ranger ane what i never see, and very few bards as well.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Fryhole wrote: »

this is as it was released in 1999, so manastones and rubicite, all that stuff is still dropping right now.

for hybrids, at lvl 14, i see a good number of paladin's and sk's around, and they do fine, though they lvl slower than other classes. warrior/rogue/monk/ranger ane what i never see, and very few bards as well.

Awesome!

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, I have it all installed, do I just double click the shortcut and it'll pop me into the right server?

apologies, I've never used an emu before.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you did everything correctly, changed shortcut path with "patchme" at the end, and put all files in the right areas... you'll log in using the name you chose at the EQ Emu forum control panel, then you'll be presented with a list of servers. Just choose Project 1999 (if it's up)

Only problem I ran into was it opened to a black screen. Had to go into the setup utility, change to windowed mode, and change some resolution

GPIA7R on
This discussion has been closed.