Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Some generic questions that may have already been asked -

How do hybrids hold up? (Rng, Pal, SK) It looks like they left the experience penalties in, but I never felt (at least in original EQ) that hybrids deserved it. You ended up being mediocre at everything in the end. (lower skill caps & low rank spells) Rangers didn't even get decent archery until what, Velious or maybe even after.

Did they put back in some of the rare fun items that SOE gutted out - like the manastone, guise of the deceiver, jboots, some others I forgot.

this is as it was released in 1999, so manastones and rubicite, all that stuff is still dropping right now.

for hybrids, at lvl 14, i see a good number of paladin's and sk's around, and they do fine, though they lvl slower than other classes. warrior/rogue/monk/ranger ane what i never see, and very few bards as well.

The bigger problem with the xp penalties was that they were shared with the group. Not only were Pal/SK/Rng considered inferior for their grouping roles (although, in retrospect I wonder if that was really true), they were a literal xp sink for the group. Bards sometimes got a pass solely for the mana song, though I'm tempted to roll a bard and see how I do pulling with the old lament song.

Yeah, xp penalties were one original EQ thing that deserved to get the axe.

Surprised that monks are rare. They, along with bards, are one of the classes that is fairly unique to EQ.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
    edited January 2010
    I've been saving this for a good EQ thread.

I always loved some of the stuff people wrote on Alla's before it was purchased and other EQ dedicated sites. These are some of the best of the bunch.

Where is Burned Wood?
    Spoiler:

Veeshan's Peak
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    The Quon on The Classes Part 1
    Spoiler:

The Quon on The Classes Part 2
    Spoiler:

Part 3 is apparently lost to the ages

How NOT to Keep The Quon in Your Group!
    Spoiler:

A new rule - Have Quon's back
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    More Quon

The Quon and The Seven Newbs
    Spoiler:

My personal favorite

Roleplayers should shampoo The Quons crotch...
    Spoiler:

Cyber with The Quon
    Spoiler:

The Quon heads to PoV
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    Sk8er Gnome

Brave Brave Me
    Spoiler:

How It All Works Out in the End
    Spoiler:

My Big Adventure
    Spoiler:

The Stalker Amoung[sic] Us
    Spoiler:

Easy Cash and Silly Girls
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    Funny How the World Works Sometimes
    Spoiler:

I Love My Brother
    Spoiler:

Live and Let Die
    Spoiler:

You Win Some You Lose Some
    Spoiler:

My New Friends
    Spoiler:

The Secrets of Everquest
    Spoiler:

Whatever
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    New Horizons
    Spoiler:

Summer Camp Adventure I
    Spoiler:

Summer Camp Adventure II
    Spoiler:

A Turn for the Worse
    Spoiler:

No Place Like Home
    Spoiler:

That Time Again
    Spoiler:

THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR
    Spoiler:

Act of Agression
    Spoiler:

Response to the Quon
    Spoiler:

the world around us
    Spoiler:

aaaaaand thats all I got

if anyone has any more, I'd love to see them

• NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Some generic questions that may have already been asked -

How do hybrids hold up? (Rng, Pal, SK) It looks like they left the experience penalties in, but I never felt (at least in original EQ) that hybrids deserved it. You ended up being mediocre at everything in the end. (lower skill caps & low rank spells) Rangers didn't even get decent archery until what, Velious or maybe even after.

Did they put back in some of the rare fun items that SOE gutted out - like the manastone, guise of the deceiver, jboots, some others I forgot.

this is as it was released in 1999, so manastones and rubicite, all that stuff is still dropping right now.

for hybrids, at lvl 14, i see a good number of paladin's and sk's around, and they do fine, though they lvl slower than other classes. warrior/rogue/monk/ranger ane what i never see, and very few bards as well.

The bigger problem with the xp penalties was that they were shared with the group. Not only were Pal/SK/Rng considered inferior for their grouping roles (although, in retrospect I wonder if that was really true), they were a literal xp sink for the group. Bards sometimes got a pass solely for the mana song, though I'm tempted to roll a bard and see how I do pulling with the old lament song.

Yeah, xp penalties were one original EQ thing that deserved to get the axe.

Surprised that monks are rare. They, along with bards, are one of the classes that is fairly unique to EQ.

You'll be happy to know that shared experience penalty is not on this server.

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dug up the infamous Page 8 thread. http://www.brellrants.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83514

There's no drama like EQ drama. Makes WoW drama pale in comparison.

A little comic about it: http://www.gucomics.com/sonofabitch.php and the Urban dictionary definition of Page Eighted http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Page%20Eighted

edited January 2010
    Oh yeah lol

Dick Silly Goose'n Tracy

Just started my Shaman again

I had forgotten how unforgiving this game is. I think I died more in ten minutes then in 2 years of WoW

good fun though =)

edited January 2010
    http://www.wtfcomics.com/

He barely updates anymore, but the ones that are there are gold.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am enjoying my monk "Seraphim" freeport is win.

headphones2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I am enjoying my monk "Seraphim" freeport is win.

heh

I love my Shaman, but I had forgotten that Halas in EQ Classic is bumfuck egypt.

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited January 2010
    That raft. What were they thinking?

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • VladimerVladimer Likes Football Too MuchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, definitely used to being level 10 by now. Barely scraping to level 5, lol.

edited January 2010
    That raft. What were they thinking?

no idea.

It's also proving impossible to get out of EFP. No druids or Wizards are ever in the zone, and no one wants to make the trek lol

maybe I should have started a ranger hehe

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so monk is level 3, I was told east commons is the place to go after I beat up all the newb monster in free port.

Problem, I don't know where East Commons is and google has failed me.

headphones2.jpg
  • BrianBrian Registered User
    edited January 2010
    It's the zone right next to West Freeport. So head west from the gate.
    It's also connected to North Ro from the tunnel along the west wall.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    I dug up the infamous Page 8 thread. http://www.brellrants.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83514

There's no drama like EQ drama. Makes WoW drama pale in comparison.

A little comic about it: http://www.gucomics.com/sonofabitch.php and the Urban dictionary definition of Page Eighted http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Page%20Eighted

gd i was on brell and knew that sum bitch... its funny to go back to allakhazem (cant spell it) and see my old posts (mostly on sk spells) from 7 or 8 years ago

edited January 2010
    I was shocked to log into Alla's for the first time in probably 4 or so years and see that I'm still a scholar.

despite having to ask how to get out of water =/

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I was shocked to log into Alla's for the first time in probably 4 or so years and see that I'm still a scholar.

despite having to ask how to get out of water =/

dont feel bad, water is a friggin bitz and not to be taken lightly (particularly if you have a < 25 swimming skill) its a % of total life based damage mod so it rips up even the most veteran of players (damn you sirens grotto you charm me and wait for my enduring breath to wear off... tho that is out of scope for this thread)

• AresProphetAresProphet don't call it a fight when you know it's a warRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grar downtime

Come on Bilge!

the first bit of advice that you gave me that I liked
    was they're too strong, too strong
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Xaquin for all those Cut&Pasted stories. Had a great time reading them all at work yesterday, the filter here is a real bitch so links are usually fail for me (Can't even read that Page 8 article above and I was from Brell also)

All I can say is....more plz!

edited January 2010
    Oh my God, the server needs to come back up so I can hit 24!

edited January 2010
    While waiting for the server to come back up, I'd like to point out something that not a lot of MMOs do that EverQuest did that really added to the atmosphere: in cities, buildings had custom-made signs, and not just a bullshit, generic-looking piece of wood with a sword icon on it that, once hovered over, would say "Eddie's Swords and Shit".

Love the Lion's Mane Tavern:
    Spoiler:

edited January 2010
    hehe

I'm amazed that after playing EQ forever and then WoW in a raiding guild that I can still feel more immersion walking into Everfrost Peaks than in most anywhere in World of Warcraft.

This game had style.

Plus I forgot that there were so many tradeskills etc.

• DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    While waiting for the server to come back up, I'd like to point out something that not a lot of MMOs do that EverQuest did that really added to the atmosphere: in cities, buildings had custom-made signs, and not just a bullshit, generic-looking piece of wood with a sword icon on it that, once hovered over, would say "Eddie's Swords and Shit".

Love the Lion's Mane Tavern:
    Spoiler:

I love the one with the lions playing cards. Also, do the message boards in game still work? I remember there was one in Qeynos.

PIZTDhW.jpg
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I noticed something the other day.
    Seven hours disappeared playing EQ, and I can't remember a single time in 5 years of WoW where time just vanished like that.

It's rather remarkable and speaks volumes for EverQuest that after all these years, with its outdated mechanics and graphics, EQ still reigns supreme for immersion.

There was a great sense of commeraderie in EQ that I have found lacking in other MMO's (And I've played damn near all of 'em). In WoW a buddy might come help you with a quest, in EQ 30+ people would come help you do your fucking Epic, with absolutely no gain to them whatsoever.

The smallest act of kindness could make all the difference in the world.

A passing druid hits you with a SoW.
    You're in the middle of a really long corpse run and you get "RandomCleric tells you 'Would you like a rez?'"
    The guys who came and sat at P1 killing SG's, effectively "guarding" the lowbies.
    The people who ran past and randomly gave you free gear.

I used to PL complete strangers on my Druid. I'd be running through Oasis or something and see someone trying to solo and /tell Newb Go pull a croc, I'll heal you.
    I'd hang out for an hour or so then buff 'em up, offer SoW's to anyone nearby, then port off.

I guess, in that light, it's really no surprise so many people are finding a home in Norrath again.
    At least, the Norrath we remember from years ago.

Okay.

/Nostalgia off

edited January 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    I noticed something the other day.
    Seven hours disappeared playing EQ, and I can't remember a single time in 5 years of WoW where time just vanished like that.

It's rather remarkable and speaks volumes for EverQuest that after all these years, with its outdated mechanics and graphics, EQ still reigns supreme for immersion.

There was a great sense of commeraderie in EQ that I have found lacking in other MMO's (And I've played damn near all of 'em). In WoW a buddy might come help you with a quest, in EQ 30+ people would come help you do your fucking Epic, with absolutely no gain to them whatsoever.

The smallest act of kindness could make all the difference in the world.

A passing druid hits you with a SoW.
    You're in the middle of a really long corpse run and you get "RandomCleric tells you 'Would you like a rez?'"
    The guys who came and sat at P1 killing SG's, effectively "guarding" the lowbies.
    The people who ran past and randomly gave you free gear.

I used to PL complete strangers on my Druid. I'd be running through Oasis or something and see someone trying to solo and /tell Newb Go pull a croc, I'll heal you.
    I'd hang out for an hour or so then buff 'em up, offer SoW's to anyone nearby, then port off.

I guess, in that light, it's really no surprise so many people are finding a home in Norrath again.
    At least, the Norrath we remember from years ago.

Okay.

/Nostalgia off

Well said!

• AresProphetAresProphet don't call it a fight when you know it's a warRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think Bilge is still broken.

Sadface. I need a belt that doesn't suck.

the first bit of advice that you gave me that I liked
    was they're too strong, too strong
    edited January 2010
    I swear one day I will get out of EFP to get an invite

edited January 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I swear one day I will get out of EFP to get an invite

If you want, you can meet me on in about 15-20 minutes... should be leaving Karana soon, and can invite you if you're in West Freeport.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure he means Everfrost.

edited January 2010
    Hahaha, fuck, I am not going all the way over there tonight!

edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Hahaha, fuck, I am not going all the way over there tonight!

hehe story of my life

• krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and the second i'm about to create a character the server goes down.. boo!

Monster Hunter 3GU - hastur23 (WiiU) - geek - bgg geek page - Looking for pilots! - Combat Flight Sim thread
This discussion has been closed.