Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Trying to quit smoking, should I be worried about dreams?

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so, I'm trying to quit smoking. I've tried a couple times before, did decently, but eventually failed(all were cold turkey). Anyways, I'm trying again, but using a nicotine patch(walgreens brand, if it matters). The box mentioned that side effects could be vivid dreams and hallucinations. Now, I'm not much of a dreamer. That is to say, I almost never remember my dreams, maybe a tidbit of one every week or so.

Now that I'm the patch, though, I'm dreaming every night, and remembering large parts of them. I've never been as excited to go to sleep before. However, is this something I should be worried about? I mean... its just dreaming, right? I don't think its harmful, but I figured I'd throw out the net and see if anyone had anything to say.

Raslin on
I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118

Posts

  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dreaming is natural, everyone does it, most do not remember.

    Take advantage of your current body/mind state and attempt some lucid dreaming my friend.

    tldr: not harmful

  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only thing I could think of is possibly not sleeping as deeply while having particularly vivid dreams (I don't, anyway), leaving you tired the next day.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm with Awkward.

    It might not even be the patch affecting you; it could be a mental thing. You read the package, went to sleep thinking about the fact that you might start dreaming more vividly, and those thoughts themselves trigger the dreams.

    I would, however, watch out for other side effects.

    Sig1.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just mention it because on the box, it said "If you have vivid dreams... take the patch off at bedtime", but I don't take off the patch.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe it's assuming you don't like the vivid dreams?

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Or maybe the vivid dreams are indicative of something else.

    Like, "if this starts happening, take off the patch."

    For instance, if the vivid dreams were the product of you getting a hair too much medication at night due to a slowed metabolism or something. Go back to walgreens and ask the pharmacist maybe?

  • ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I have a friend who used the new pill to stop, and eventually stopped taking it because the dreams were so gruesome he couldn't take it anymore. That pill works completely differently from the way the patch works though.

    And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited January 2010
    If the patch doesn't work, pick up a copy of "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", by Alan Carr. Worked for me, after trying to quit unsuccessfully for years.

  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dreaming is fine. Also, dreaming about cigarettes is fine. If you don't have any dreams about smoking I'd be shocked, anyone who quits anything dreams about it.

    As a guy who successfully quit smoking and like a million other things, my advice would be:

    1. Remember that cravings go away if you ignore them.

    2. Throw away all your lighters and ashtrays and all your other shit. Keeping anything is an invitation to relapse.

    3. Remember the date and (if possible) time of your last cigarette. Count every day and think of it like a high score: If you have another one, you have to start aaaalllll over, and your "score" will never be as high as it would have been before. Also, the first few days are the worst. Do you really want to go through that shit again?

    xcomsig.png
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you die in your dream, you die in real life.
    Spoiler:

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    just in case your parents never told you

    dreams can't hurt you, you'll be fine

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    This sounds like you making an excuse to not quit smoking. Clever, but no, we're not gonna fall for it.

    You shouldn't be worried about vivid dreams, think of all the chicks you can fuck in them.

    New Year’s Eve is the best. For one magical night, even the most straight-laced babe feels socially obligated to get blindingly drunk and act like a total whore. Pretty daddy’s girls with blond hair and tight asses swill cheap champagne and toss back shots of peach schnapps until they’re flashing their big, firm tits at any chump who wanders by.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually the opposite(well, now it is). Now I'm worried about getting off the patch, I just had the most awesome night of dreams and don't want to start not having them again :(

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    Actually the opposite(well, now it is). Now I'm worried about getting off the patch, I just had the most awesome night of dreams and don't want to start not having them again :(

    Don't get off the damn patch.

    No one has died from dreams.

    Like you're not going to wake up spewing blood in the middle of the night and promptly die afterward.

    By the time you are dreaming you have already slept.

    New Year’s Eve is the best. For one magical night, even the most straight-laced babe feels socially obligated to get blindingly drunk and act like a total whore. Pretty daddy’s girls with blond hair and tight asses swill cheap champagne and toss back shots of peach schnapps until they’re flashing their big, firm tits at any chump who wanders by.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    I just mention it because on the box, it said "If you have vivid dreams... take the patch off at bedtime", but I don't take off the patch.

    Translation "If you have disturbing nightmares, you can prevent them by taking off the patch at night." Since these dreams are enjoyable to you - have fun!

  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    Bullshit.

    Now you just replaced one excuse for another. He just recommended that book. You did not read it.

    You'll be back to smoking in a matter of months if you stop now.

    New Year’s Eve is the best. For one magical night, even the most straight-laced babe feels socially obligated to get blindingly drunk and act like a total whore. Pretty daddy’s girls with blond hair and tight asses swill cheap champagne and toss back shots of peach schnapps until they’re flashing their big, firm tits at any chump who wanders by.
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The dreams will probably fade as you adjust to your new 'condition'. When I quit smoking weed I had a week of really wild, vivid dreams, and I hardly ever remember my dreams, let alone have interesting ones. Whether quitting smoking cigarettes is similar, I have no idea. I stopped smoking those too, but I was never heavily addicted so the withdrawal could hardly even be called a withdrawal.

    Dogs.jpg
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    Bullshit.

    Now you just replaced one excuse for another.

    You'll be back to smoking in a matter of months if you stop now.

    No, I won't. Not only don't I want a cigarette now, but I know I wont anymore, and I feel better than I ever have trying to quit before. I'm not going to torture myself with it anymore, because I really don't want to smoke.

    I appreciate the concern, though.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the several times I have quit I have had incredibly vivid horrificly grotesque nightmares.

    I would not recomend any smoking quit aid that utilized time controlled nicotine release.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    Bullshit.

    Now you just replaced one excuse for another.

    You'll be back to smoking in a matter of months if you stop now.

    No, I won't. Not only don't I want a cigarette now, but I know I wont anymore, and I feel better than I ever have trying to quit before. I'm not going to torture myself with it anymore, because I really don't want to smoke.

    I appreciate the concern, though.

    You say that now

    what happens in a month from now when you see someone light one up, and catch a whiff. Or see another dude flick aside the best tasting cigarette he ever had.

    You're not done with this yet, even if you think you are. I've seen people farther a long than you regress back. Go for the overkill. I find it hard to believe you started this thread with one method of quitting and now all of the sudden some dude recommends a book and you are clean.

    New Year’s Eve is the best. For one magical night, even the most straight-laced babe feels socially obligated to get blindingly drunk and act like a total whore. Pretty daddy’s girls with blond hair and tight asses swill cheap champagne and toss back shots of peach schnapps until they’re flashing their big, firm tits at any chump who wanders by.
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    Bullshit.

    Now you just replaced one excuse for another.

    You'll be back to smoking in a matter of months if you stop now.

    No, I won't. Not only don't I want a cigarette now, but I know I wont anymore, and I feel better than I ever have trying to quit before. I'm not going to torture myself with it anymore, because I really don't want to smoke.

    I appreciate the concern, though.

    You say that now

    what happens in a month from now when you see someone light one up, and catch a whiff. Or see another dude flick aside the best tasting cigarette he ever had.

    You're not done with this yet, even if you think you are. I've seen people farther a long than you regress back. Go for the overkill. I find it hard to believe you started this thread with one method of quitting and now all of the sudden some dude recommends a book and you are clean.


    a patch or a pill is no more a guarantee than cold steel resolve and an iron clad will.

    seriously, your argument is ridiculous.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    Good luck.

    New Year’s Eve is the best. For one magical night, even the most straight-laced babe feels socially obligated to get blindingly drunk and act like a total whore. Pretty daddy’s girls with blond hair and tight asses swill cheap champagne and toss back shots of peach schnapps until they’re flashing their big, firm tits at any chump who wanders by.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm not getting off the patch because I'm afraid of dreams(I was pretty much looking for an excuse before). I read that book zilo recommended, and I don't want/need the patch anymore.

    Bullshit.

    Now you just replaced one excuse for another.

    You'll be back to smoking in a matter of months if you stop now.

    No, I won't. Not only don't I want a cigarette now, but I know I wont anymore, and I feel better than I ever have trying to quit before. I'm not going to torture myself with it anymore, because I really don't want to smoke.

    I appreciate the concern, though.

    You say that now

    what happens in a month from now when you see someone light one up, and catch a whiff. Or see another dude flick aside the best tasting cigarette he ever had.

    You're not done with this yet, even if you think you are. I've seen people farther a long than you regress back. Go for the overkill. I find it hard to believe you started this thread with one method of quitting and now all of the sudden some dude recommends a book and you are clean.

    Me too, to be perfectly honest. I spent way too long reading the book last night(I work early, should have been catching up on sleep), but it really got me critically thinking about smoking, and realizing what I was doing. Every time before that I've quit, it was giving up smoking. I had to give it up, for this or that reason. But now, I actually don't want to smoke, and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

    I'm not moping about having to "give it up" anymore, and not feeling guilty as I smoke(because I'm not), its the best of both worlds.

    What happens in a month? I look at that, and remember how gross cigarette's taste(nobody smokes them because they enjoy the taste), and how there are no benefits from smoking, simply relief from the symptoms it causes. That the next cigarette just feeds the chain of wanting more, and I don't want more. I work around smokers, and live around them, and when I see it, and smell it, I smile, because I realize that I'm done with it, and I'm so happy about it.

    I know people can regress, after years, or decades. But I don't want to smoke anymore, I'm so happy that I'm not, and it only gets better from here on out. It may be hard to believe, but I'm done, and I'm happy.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    now now don't be all bitter about cigarettes just because you're quitting them

    I for one love cigarettes and smoking cigarettes and the taste of cigarettes

    I never had problems while on cigarettes, I never hated them or blamed them for anything

    and I quit cold turkey


    It's not THAT hard. People make it seem harder than it actually is

    It's a simple process

    just don't smoke any more cigarettes


    if you hate cigarettes this really shouldn't be a problem. Nicotine addiction isn't THAT strong

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Except for the part about enjoying cigarettes, I agree completely.

    If you don't believe me, ask yourself, when are the most "enjoyable" cigarettes you have? The ones after you can't smoke, after a flight, during a break on work, after a meal. Why are these more "enjoyable"? Because the enjoyment is simply relief from the nicotine withdrawl. You're kidding yourself, possibly literally, if you think you enjoy the taste. You've simply made yourself believe that when you smoked, because otherwise, you wouldn't have smoked.

    Nicotine addiction isn't that strong, absolutely. Its the belief that it is, and the brainwashing we've all gone through of seeing smokers trying to quit and moping, and hating it, that makes us feel the same way. We believe we're being deprived of some reward, when there is no reward.

    But hey, quitting is quitting.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chantrix gave my dad some fucked up trippy ass dreams, but it was the only thing that got him to quit after 40 years of smoking.

    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    Nicotine addiction isn't that strong, absolutely. Its the belief that it is, and the brainwashing we've all gone through of seeing smokers trying to quit and moping, and hating it, that makes us feel the same way. We believe we're being deprived of some reward, when there is no reward.

    Except for the cold sweats and uncontrollable fits of shaking and total inability to sleep that my father experienced, I'd agree with you.

    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited January 2010
    All hail the power of the book! I don't know why it works, but it does. It flipped a switch in my brain, it's great.

    Congrats Raslin, once the nicotine exits your system in a few days you're going to feel like a million bucks.

  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    Except for the part about enjoying cigarettes, I agree completely.

    If you don't believe me, ask yourself, when are the most "enjoyable" cigarettes you have? The ones after you can't smoke, after a flight, during a break on work, after a meal. Why are these more "enjoyable"? Because the enjoyment is simply relief from the nicotine withdrawl. You're kidding yourself, possibly literally, if you think you enjoy the taste. You've simply made yourself believe that when you smoked, because otherwise, you wouldn't have smoked.

    Nicotine addiction isn't that strong, absolutely. Its the belief that it is, and the brainwashing we've all gone through of seeing smokers trying to quit and moping, and hating it, that makes us feel the same way. We believe we're being deprived of some reward, when there is no reward.

    But hey, quitting is quitting.


    This is inherintly not true.

    Before I was ever addicted, before there was ever enough nicotine in my system to feel any effects other than an upset stomach, the social act and yes, the taste, drew me in.

    If you think all cigarettes taste disgusting you've never smoked anything worth smoking.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Are you guys really coming into an "I'm quitting" thread and trying to convince the guy that it is in fact an awesome and delicious habit?

  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Are you guys really coming into an "I'm quitting" thread and trying to convince the guy that it is in fact an awesome and delicious habit?

    No, but as a post-smoker, I resent people who act as if the habit is some jedi mind trick corporations played on us.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Are you guys really coming into an "I'm quitting" thread and trying to convince the guy that it is in fact an awesome and delicious habit?

    nobody said that

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User
    edited January 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Are you guys really coming into an "I'm quitting" thread and trying to convince the guy that it is in fact an awesome and delicious habit?

    No, but as a post-smoker, I resent people who act as if the habit is some jedi mind trick corporations played on us.

    I agree. I smoked for a year and then quit and I can say that all you've said is spot on. Especially about taste. HOW anyone can keep smoking while using Camels is BEYOND ME. That shit made me WANT to quit

    ALSO - I tried quitting by using a patch, because I thought I needed that. I ended up having these dreams which ended up being auras. So, just a heads up that it could be bad.

    Spoiler:
  • RhinoRhino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The dreams aren't harmful. I found them quite enjoyable.

    They will most likely start to tapper off as you A) get used to the nicotine being present) and B) lower your dosage.

    Also, pro tip: take off the patch about an hour before bedtime and drink a big glass of OJ. This should lessen the amount of dreams you have.

    93mb4.jpg
  • RhinoRhino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    Nicotine addiction isn't that strong, absolutely. Its the belief that it is, and the brainwashing we've all gone through of seeing smokers trying to quit and moping, and hating it, that makes us feel the same way. We believe we're being deprived of some reward, when there is no reward.

    Except for the cold sweats and uncontrollable fits of shaking and total inability to sleep that my father experienced, I'd agree with you.

    I think a lot of it depends on the person and how much and how long they smoke. Part of it's psychological, I agree; but there is a huge chemical dependency there also. The degree which a person is effected by each probably can vary a lot.

    93mb4.jpg
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't worry about the dreams until you've actually stopped smoking. I've quit and relapsed a couple of times over the years, every time I've gone cold turkey and every time it's been different. I've had physical symptoms every time but they were the typical ones for withdrawal - irritability, nausea, cold sweats, and low grade fever. None of them were that bad, either, and they only last for the first 10 days or so. After that it's all gravy.

    The only time I've ever had any kind of major sleep disturbance was when I used a nicotine patch...that shit gave me nightmares that would have had Bosch painting his next masterpiece. I'm talking waking up in a cold FEAR sweat not knowing where I was and frightened out of my wits. I stopped using the patch after that and had no issues from then on.

This discussion has been closed.