As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of the Decade] RESULTS IN OP

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man that's even worse than me placing Advance Wars #1. :lol:

Sorry.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Voting website died on me no less than seven times; by the time I finally got all the way through I felt pretty good about my list.

Top 6:

1) Guild Wars (PC) [Factions, Nightfall, Eye of the North] (PC) <2005>
    Where do I even begin? I could literally talk about this game forever, going on about how amazing and breathtaking the environments were, how deep and easy to use the class/skill system, and how it's Guild versus Guild battles was the best team based competitive gaming experience I've ever encountered. I only played for a single year before quiting cold turkey in order to actually live a real life, but I racked up just around 3000 hours of playtime on my account (a year has 8760 hours in it; yes I know I had a problem), meeting a ton of cool people along the way that I'm still in contact with to this day.
    2) Beyond Good & Evil (CUBE, XBOX, PS2, PC) <2003>
    Everything about this game is perfect, yes even the forced stealth section, the final boss fight, and even the cliffhanger ending. Perfect music, perfect characters, perfect story, perfect gameplay and perfect world. It doesn't try to do anything revolutionary or "innovative", but it is perfectly executed and paced and the first five minutes are still my favorite introduction to any game, ever. I replay this game once every few months and my opinion of it never changes. Perfect.
    3) Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2) <2005>
    SMT: Nocturne has better gameplay and atmosphere, but no other game made me say "Holy Shit!" out loud like DDS2 did. The way they handled the story without veering off into the absolute batshit insane was great, and that combined with the solid press turn system makes this an easy number 3 for me.
    4) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) <2000>
    The best Zelda game ever. Next.
    5) Metroid Prime (GC) <2002>
    It was either freshman or sophomore year of high school and I'd been saving up for a while in order to buy an Xbox and this cool looking Halo game that was coming out. Finally I had enough money and went to the local gamestop to claim my prize....

and walked out with a Gamecube, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and a good bit of cash left over. I have no regrets.
    6) Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    This was released around the time I first got interested in PC gaming, and after Half Life was the first PC FPS I ever played. Single player was pretty fun, but online multiplayer just felt so right to me. Might be nostalgia speaking as I haven't played it in years, but whatever it gets #6 on my list.

Aaaaand the rest:

7) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (XBOX, PC) <2004> (I think everyone already knows how awesome this game is)
    8) Persona 3 (PS2) <2007> (Even though 4 did it better, Persona 3 was just so fresh at the time, and without it I wouldn't have played any other of Atlus's great RPGs)
    9) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PC, PS2, XBOX, GC) <2003> (Another Gamecube purchase that I sank way too much time into)
    10) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) <2005> (Still my favorite one in the series, and the best DS game ever imo)
    11) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne <2004> (It physically hurts to rate this so low, but I had to give some other series their props)
    12) Tribes 2 (PC) <2001> (I was way late to the party with this, but god damn was this game just fun.)
    13) Viewtiful Joe (GC, PS2) <2003>
    14) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) <2003>
    15) Guitar Hero 2 (PS2, 360) <2006> (My favorite guitar hero game to actually play, though 5 is probably the most fun with other people)
    16) Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii) <2005>
    17) Soul Calibur II (GC, PS2, XBOX) <2003> (The single biggest source of shit talk between me and my high school buddies, plus it got me interested in fighting games seriously)
    18) Skies of Arcadia (DC, GC) <2000> (You can customize your flying pirate ship and sail around the world. Do I need to say more?)
    19) Persona 4 (PS2) <2008>
    20) God Hand (PS2) <2006>
    21) Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    22) Tales of Symphonia (GC) <2004>
    23) Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC, GC, XBOX) <2002>
    24) Elite Beat Agents (DS) <2006> (My go to airplane/bus/other public transportation time killing game)
    25) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX, PC) <2003>

As I expected I had quite a few Gamecube titles on my list. I was the only one of my friends that had a cube instead of a PS2/XBOX and I played the shit out of it. God I loved that system so much.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. Phantom Dust (Xbox) <2005> - I loved this game so much. This is the game I originally made the plunge into xbox live for. I don't know if it's really my number one, but it's close, and it isn't going to get enough love, so I stuck it there.
    2. Chrono Cross (PS1) <2000> - one of the few jrpgs I actually finished. I used to buy damn near every one that came out, but I always got bored and quit. Love FF7, actually the game that got me into gaming. But I still haven't finished it. Guess I have a short attention span.
    3. Kirby Canvas Curse (DS) <2005> - Um.. Probably the second or third game I got for my DS. It was awesome. Like, someone took fun, bottled it, and instead of selling it on a street corner, they stuck it in a DS cart for some reason.
    4. Sly Cooper 2: Band of Thieves (PS2) <2004> - Had a lot of fun with the missions, really liked how they all tied together.
    5. Animal Crossing (GC) <2002> - This was a blast.. Didn't have near as much fun with the DS or the wii one.
    6. Torchlight (PC*) <2009> - Looking back, I'm not sure this deserves to be this high. Oops. Fun though.
    7. Beyond Good & Evil (CUBE, XBOX, PS2, PC) <2003> - Didn't play this until about 2 years ago. Blew everything else I was playing at the time out of the water.
    8. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC, Xbox) <2005> - Why can't they make more shooters like this? Loved it. Loved the team aspect, which was actually well done. Excellent.

I think the rest kind of speak for themselves.
    9. Dwarf Fortress (PC*) <2006>
    10. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    11. Dead Space (PC, PS3, 360) <2008>
    12. Earth Defense Force 2017 (360) <2007>
    13. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360, PS3, PC) <2009>
    14. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction [Quest for Booty] (PS3) <2007>
    15. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    16. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (GC) <2007>
    17. Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    18. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) <2004>
    19. Deus Ex (PC, PS2) <2000>
    20. SWAT4 (PC) <2005>
    21. Black & White [Creature Isle] (PC) <2001>
    22. Homeworld: Cataclysm (PC) <2000>
    23. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    24. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    25. Jade Empire (Xbox, PC) <2005> - Except this one. I liked it, found out recently that it wasn't widely well-received. Weird.

Oh I guess we are doing year breakdowns.
    0 - 3
    1 - 1
    2 - 1
    3 - 1
    4 - 2
    5 - 6
    6 - 1
    7 - 5
    8 - 1
    9 - 1

Xaviar on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Top 25. I think this is a fair list. I left things out that I haven't played personally, of course, so no one get hurt if your favorite game isn't on there. :P
    1. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    2. Cave Story (PC*) <2004>
    3. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    4. Silent Hill 2 (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    5. Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii) <2005>
    6. Rez (PS2, 360*) <2002>
    7. Halo (XBOX, PC) <2001>
    8. Katamari Damacy (PS2) <2004>
    9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) <2005>
    10. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC) <2001>
    11. Gitaroo Man (PS2, PSP) <2002>
    12. Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    13. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC, PS3, 360) <2009>
    14. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2, 360) <2006>
    15. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    16. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) <2006>
    17. Psychonauts (PS2, XBox) <2005>
    18. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) <2000>
    19. Viewtiful Joe (GC, PS2) <2003>
    20. Jet Grind Radio (DC, GBA) <2000>
    21. Bioshock (360, PS3, PC) <2007>
    22. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2, XBOX, 360) <2004>
    23. God Hand (PS2) <2006>
    24. Grand Theft Auto III (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    25. Medal of Honor Allied Assault [Spearhead, Breakthrough] <2002>

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My biggest problem was deciding in series whether to go with the first, or the generally improved sequels.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    My biggest problem was deciding in series whether to go with the first, or the generally improved sequels.

I especially had trouble with games like digital devil saga since 1 & 2 essentially make up 1 massive game. I ended up going to DDS1 and GH1 just for being first.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, I just noticed theres no .Skate on the list. That's the best, and probably most innovative sports game out and it's not on the list.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    The lack of [strike]Advance Wars and Fire Emblem[/strike] Ogre Battle on these lists is disheartening. What are you, some kind of fun-hating communist?
    I did have a Fire Emblem game on my list. But not as highly placed as Ogre Battle. On account of not being a communist.

Ogre Battle 64 was soooo good.

For Fire Emblem, I liked Radiant Dawn best for its gameplay, with the good default difficulty level and varying character selections and customization. I knocked some points off though because I recently started a hard file but it takes out the enemy attack range thing, and I really have no desire to go through that in a game where the option is normally available. But I just restarted on normal and did Geoffrey's stage leaving like 47 enemy soldiers alive. It was pretty intense! I might actually use the dark magic caster this time! Thinking about it, he might be my favorite dark mage in the series : (

The first GBA game would be second in the series, thanks to a pretty solid mix of everything I like in Fire Emblem, but the fact that it wasn't my first FE might have hampered it a bit compared to some people? Looking at it, I really like a lot of things it does individually (cast and supports are really good!), but it's like the whole is less than the sum of its parts. It just never clicked with me like others in the series have. Also it has like the lamest villain ever.

Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon I felt were flawed enough that they might not crack my top 75 by any metric. Path of Radiance was good, but for me it just seems like its most memorable quality is leading into Radiant Dawn.

Radiant Dawn just made me remember how much I loved Path of Radiance. Radiant Dawn is [strike]almost[/strike] too convoluted.

The only thing Radiant Dawn has over PoR for me is difficulty. The lack of challenge takes so many points away from PoR which is a shame as I think it's the best FE in all other aspects.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    This was harder than I thought it'd be, and I'd be lying if I said some of the lower rankings were set in stone. Hell, sorting out everything from about 6 on down involved splitting more hairs than I'm used to.

My top 25:
    1. Deus Ex (PC, PS2) <2000> - The once and future king.

2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn [Throne of Baal] (PC) <2000> - Most-replayed RPG of all time. Irenicus remains the best overall villain I've seen in a game.

3. Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura (PC) <2001> - In spite of its numerous gameplay flaws, I love and have played the hell out of this. The acting, writing, and setting are quality across the board.

4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC) <2007> - Atmosphere and adventure are the key selling points here, never played anything quite like it before. Solid gunplay and a great balance of exploration and action make this an easy choice.

5. Tales of Symphonia (GC) <2004> - Currently my favorite of the Tales series. Runs the standard Tales tropes, but I found the cast charming as hell. Also has no random encounters, new game+, and a respectably fun battle system.

6. World in Conflict (PC) [Soviet Assault] <2007> - Hands down my favorite RTS to date, excellent balance of gameplay and story. Soviet Assault is a good template for playing the opposing force that more games need to examine.

7. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) <2004> - Excellent writing and acting, and more importantly easy to pick up and play even if you know nothing about the source material.

8. Crysis (PC) <2007> - Too often glossed over as a graphics showcase; I had more fun with this than I have with almost any shooter in the past few years. Warhead had the best implementation of a rail sequence ever.

9. The Witcher (PC) <2007> - Solid third-person RPG that gets mega bonus points for CD Projekt Red being some of the most awesome human beings alive. Free re-release for those who bought the original? Hell yes.

10. Final Fantasy IX (PS1) <2000> - Current favorite of the 'main' FF series. Again, a charming cast wins me over; Zidane's just a happy-go-lucky dude with about two minutes of actual angst, I have to respect that.

11. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007> - Quality action RPG with a party who mostly has their shit together. Virmire was epic and Keith Fucking David has the best moment in the game.

12. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2003> - Living proof that wall-to-wall action can have an awful lot of heart. Is it melodramatic and wordy? God, yes. But it's also really damn good. Sam Lake is the reason I'm still stoked about Alan Wake.

13. Thief II: The Metal Age (PC) <2000> - As another forumer once said, Life of the Party, man. Life of the fucking Party.

14. Call of Duty (PC, 306*, PS3*) <2003> - A shooter from a simpler time, a time of not-regenerating health and enemies that (mostly) didn't infinitely respawn. Had some of the best music of its time, and the Soviet campaign was fantastic for the most part.

15. Dragon Age: Origins [Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep] (360,PC,PS3) <2009> - It wasn't Baldur's Gate II, but it came damn close at times. BioWare has really come a long way at creating a likeable party, even if they're sometimes criminally short-sighted, Morrigan.

16. Company of Heroes [Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor] (PC) <2006> - Breaks the RTS mold in ways that were only hinted at with Dawn of War. The only things holding it back are a couple lame campaign levels involving artillery spam and blatantly respawning AT guns.

17. Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii) <2005> - Action, action, and more action. Also ballistics. But mainly action. Fighting off a horde of not-zombies was everything I thought it could be.

18. Freedom Fighters (PS2, XBOX, GC, PC) <2003> - One of the biggest crimes of the 21st century was that this didn't get the sequel it deserved. Still one of the best squad-based third person action games around.

19. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC) <2003> - The only multiplayer FPS I was ever significantly involved in. I recall an epic three-way duel with dual-wield pistols that ended with all three of us alive until an air strike dropped on us. Classic stuff.

20. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, 360, Wii) <2007> - Say what you will about the gameplay, but CoD4's nuke scene was brilliant for more than just the obvious reason. The sniper section was wonderfully tense, too.

21. SWAT4 (PC) <2005> - The only thing keeping this thinking man's shooter down is the number of times my team came up against Jason Bourne on that club mission; some gangbanger who could pull off four - four! - headshots with a cheap pistol after a flashbang entry. Quality game all the same, though.

22. Painkiller [Battle Out of Hell] (PC, Xbox) <2004> - No Serious Sam on the list, so I had to pick the next best thing. Clever guns, a variety of areas, and inventive enemies led to one of the surprise hits of the year.

23. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (PC, XBOX, 360, PS3) - Proof positive that movie games don't have to suck. Riddick's first-person melee combat should be the template for how it's done.

24. Fallout 3 [Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta] (PC, PS3, 360) - Yes, the story was garbage. Didn't stop me from giving 80+ hour replays, and that's before I started throwing mods into the mix.

25. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004> - This would be higher if they'd get back to releasing Episode 3 in a timely fashion, but it was good times. Haven't gone back since Ep2 came out, though.

You have excellent taste, sir. Interested in the lack of Suikodens on your list; they seem right up your alley.

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate these bloody polls as I could never decide what I liked more. I could give you al ist of stuff I like but never in any sort of order. This is as about complete as you're going to get it. Well, besides the lack of skate, shame as it really is a fantastic game.
    1. Deus Ex (PC, PS2) <2000>
    2. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind [Tribunal, Bloodmoon] (PC, XBOX) <2002>
    3. Assassin's Creed II (360, PS3) <2009>
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360, PS3, PC) <2009>
    5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC) <2007>
    6. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    7. Bioshock (360, PS3, PC) <2007>
    8. Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii) <2005>
    9. Ico (PS2) <2001>
    10. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    11. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PC, PS2, XBOX, GC) <2003>
    12. Shenmue (DC) <2000>
    13. Spider-Man 2 (PS2, XBOX, GC, PC) <2004>
    14. Crackdown (360) <2007>
    15. Borderlands [The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot] (PS3, 360, PC) <2009>
    16. Grand Theft Auto 4 [Lost and the Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony] (360, PS3, 360) <2008>
    17. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [Knights of Nine, Shivering Isles] (PC, PS3, 360) <2006>
    18. Mirror's Edge (PC, 360, PS3) <2008>
    19. God of War (PS2, PS3) <2005>
    20. Max Payne (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    21. Thief: Deadly Shadows (XBOX, PC) <2004>
    22. Mafia (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2002>
    23. Dead Rising (360, Wii) <2006>
    24. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3) <2009>
    25. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (PS2, XBOX, GC) <2005>

Biggest surprise was Morrowind for me. I never thought I'd like and even after around 3 hours I hated it but it all changed at the 5 hour mark. I was completely sucked in and this was the Xbox version.

Riddick narrowly misses out the list but it definitely needs regonition for being the best game based on a movie premise. After Spider-man 2 but then SM2 was really just a swinging simulator (a darned good one).

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My game of the decade: Cave Story.

“Did you know that the witch-woman Jenka once had a brother?
    His name was Ballos.
    Like his sister, he wielded powers far beyond those of mortals…”

4th place: Beyond Good & Evil.
    "Carlson and Peters page xx. "Don't break up the team.""

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    Cold FusionCold Fusion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tough including everything, but I am happy with this list.
    Thanks! You voted for:

1. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    2. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    3. Deus Ex (PC, PS2) <2000>
    4. Mount and Blade (PC) <2008>
    5. Team Fortress 2 (PC, 360) <2007>
    6. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) <2004>
    7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (XBOX, PC) <2004>
    8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX, PC) <2003>
    9. Final Fantasy X (PS2) <2001>
    10. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    11. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos [Frozen Throne] (PC) <2002> (Can basically be replaced with DoTA)
    12. Crackdown (360) <2007>
    13. Digital Devil Saga (PS2) <2005>
    14. Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2) <2005>
    15. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS) <2008>
    16. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) <2003>
    17. World of Warcraft [Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King] (PC) <2004>
    18. Battlefield 1942 [Road To Rome, Secret Weapons of WWII] (PC) <2002>
    19. Okami (PS2, Wii) <2006>
    20. Call of Duty 2 (PC, 360) <2005>
    21. Final Fantasy XII (PS2) <2006>
    22. Left 4 Dead (PC, 360) <2008>
    23. Ico (PS2) <2001>
    24. The Witcher (PC) <2007>
    25. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC) <2001>

Honourable mentions: EBA/Ouendan, Day of Defeat, SMT: Nocturne, Dark age of Camelot

Cold Fusion on
    1309077-1.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lork wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    look if you can't see that Half Life 2 is a fucking immersive game then maybe you should tell me what you think is a fucking immersive game and I will tell you that you are wrong.

Also I am amazed to learn that Metal Slug 3 was released in 2000. Metal Slug 3 is the work of God-Geniuses.
    Warren Spector used to tell his team that they should make worlds, not movie sets, so there's a good example. Deus Ex is an immersive game.

Maybe I've just played too many games, but I can't play something like Half-Life 2 anymore without it being painfully obvious how limited the world is. How every door other than the one you have to go through is a flat texture covering up the edge of the universe. Or how the only way that you know that you're going the right way is that there is no other way. Half-Life 2 is a movie set. An immersive game should be a world.

What you need to remember about Half Life 2 is that there's two ways to design a shooter.

One where you can take multiple paths through a level, and one where there is only one "intended" path.

If there is multiple paths, fine, you can open up the level a bit and have doors that don't really lead to anything important.

If there is only going to be one intended path though, the devs SHOULD close off the rest of the level, so that you know that if you are making forward progress, its pretty much guaranteed to be the right way.

Otherwise, you get the frustrating and annoying situation where the entire level is clear of enemies, you're running around in circles looking for the place to go and all you find is areas that take you out of the way for no reason.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    The only right answers.
    Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    Pikmin (GC, Wii) <2001>
    Katamari Damacy (PS2) <2004>
    Animal Crossing (GC) <2002>
    Paper Mario (N64) <2001>
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) <2003>
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) <2008>
    The Sims 2
    Chu Chu Rocket! (DC, GBA) <2000>
    Counter-Strike (PC) <2000>
    Left 4 Dead (PC, 360) <2008>
    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (GBC) <2000>
    Golden Sun (GBA) <2001>
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC, PS3, 360) <2009>
    Rock Band (360, PS2, PS3, Wii) <2007>
    Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA) <2001>
    Advance Wars (GBA) <2001>
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) <2003>

In order, I believe my #1 is definetly #1... And Chu Chu Rocket was underrated... and Katamari was pretty ground-breaking when it first came out... Animal Crossing GCN was huge for me... Rock Band was innovative... etc etc.

Dude! Loving the Chu Chu shout, I rated that too, dunno if anyone else did, I can't read all these entries, yours was top of page LOL

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ph blake wrote: »
    6) Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    This was released around the time I first got interested in PC gaming, and after Half Life was the first PC FPS I ever played. Single player was pretty fun, but online multiplayer just felt so right to me. Might be nostalgia speaking as I haven't played it in years, but whatever it gets #6 on my list.

High 5 :mrgreen:

I don't know whether to feel sad or pity for the half dozen people who have fallout 3, on their lists without BG2, and most of them don't have Deus Ex there either :x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks! You voted for:

11. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos [Frozen Throne] (PC) <2002> (Can basically be replaced with DoTA)
    23. Ico (PS2) <2001>

Honourable mentions: EBA/Ouendan, Day of Defeat, SMT: Nocturne, Dark age of Camelot

I'm surprised at the presence of quality western RPGs there, but lack BG2 or Arcanum, which I consider above those on your list.

I voted, but forgot to copy my selections. IIRC, my top 3 were Civ4, BG2, and TF2.

I also was not sure whether to put L4D or L4D2 on the list. L4D2 is mechanically better than L4D, but it feels more like a really well done expansion, that I wasn't sure which to choose. I ended up going with L4D2.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to Planescape: Torment, which probably would have been #1 on my list if it didn't miss the cut off for this decade by a measly 3 weeks.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    1. Phantom Dust (Xbox) <2005> - I loved this game so much. This is the game I originally made the plunge into xbox live for. I don't know if it's really my number one, but it's close, and it isn't going to get enough love, so I stuck it there.
    2. Chrono Cross (PS1) <2000> - one of the few jrpgs I actually finished. I used to buy damn near every one that came out, but I always got bored and quit. Love FF7, actually the game that got me into gaming. But I still haven't finished it. Guess I have a short attention span.
    3. Kirby Canvas Curse (DS) <2005> - Um.. Probably the second or third game I got for my DS. It was awesome. Like, someone took fun, bottled it, and instead of selling it on a street corner, they stuck it in a DS cart for some reason.
    4. Sly Cooper 2: Band of Thieves (PS2) <2004> - Had a lot of fun with the missions, really liked how they all tied together.
    5. Animal Crossing (GC) <2002> - This was a blast.. Didn't have near as much fun with the DS or the wii one.
    6. Torchlight (PC*) <2009> - Looking back, I'm not sure this deserves to be this high. Oops. Fun though.
    7. Beyond Good & Evil (CUBE, XBOX, PS2, PC) <2003> - Didn't play this until about 2 years ago. Blew everything else I was playing at the time out of the water.
    8. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC, Xbox) <2005> - Why can't they make more shooters like this? Loved it. Loved the team aspect, which was actually well done. Excellent.

14. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction [Quest for Booty] (PS3) <2007>
    20. SWAT4 (PC) <2005>
    25. Jade Empire (Xbox, PC) <2005> - Except this one. I liked it, found out recently that it wasn't widely well-received. Weird.

0 - 3
    1 - 1
    2 - 1
    3 - 1
    4 - 2
    5 - 6
    6 - 1
    7 - 5
    8 - 1
    9 - 1

I think you're the first person I've seen to list Deus Ex but not in your top 10.

You're also insane. Republic Commando ranked higher than Deus Ex and Half Life 2?? what?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opinions!!!

Mass Effect gets too much love compared to other western RPGs that hardly ever get mentioned.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wish I had been here for the nomination phase. My favorite game of all time, Capcom vs. SNK 2, missed the list. Sure almost no one would have voted for it, but it's my favorite game. Oh well.

I just went through the list picking the ones that stood out the most for me and ended up with 26. So honorable mention to Team Fortress 2, which I dropped.

The top 5 are definitely in the right order for me, after that it got hard to place them.
    1. Street Fighter IV (360, PC, PS3) <2009>
    2. Ogre Battle 64 (N64) <2000>
    3. Counter-Strike (PC) <2000>
    4. F-Zero GX (GC) <2003>
    5. Civilization III [Play the World, Conquests] (PC) <2001>
    6. SSX Tricky (PS2, GC, XBOX)
    7. Medieval 2: Total War [Kingdoms] (PC) <2006>
    8. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2, XBOX, 360) <2004>
    9. Mechwarrior 4: Vegance [Black Knight, Mercenaries] (PC) <2000>
    10. Dragon Age: Origins [Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep] (360,PC,PS3) <2009>
    11. Battlefield 1942 [Road To Rome, Secret Weapons of WWII] (PC) <2002>
    12. Metal Slug 3 (Arcade, Neo Geo, PS2, XBOX, 360*) <2000>
    13. Empire: Total War (PC) <2009>
    14. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    15. Call of Duty (PC, 306*, PS3*) <2003>
    16. Shogun: Total War [Mongol Invasion] (PC) <2000>
    17. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC) <2004>
    18. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War [Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm] (PC) <2004>
    19. TimeSplitters 2 (GC, PS2, XBOX) <2002>
    20. Golden Sun (GBA) <2001>
    21. Sins of a Solar Empire [Entrenchment] (PC) <2008>
    22. Guilty Gear X2 (PS2) <2003>
    23. World of Goo (Wii*, PC) <2008>
    24. Viewtiful Joe (GC, PS2) <2003>
    25. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Super Heroes (DC, PS2, XBOX, PS3*, 360*) <2000>

Street Fighter 4 had to be my number one. Imagine you go a decade with your favorite game series completely dormant. It looks to be dead for good. Then all of a sudden it get's a sequel, and the sequel is really fucking good. Then you'd be in my shoes for this.

I also like Total War games a lot. Three of them made my list.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I also obviously should have paid more attention to the nomination phase, went to pick my number one game and argh its not there..ok no problem, i'll just bump my #2 up to 1 and..argh its not there either D:

(steambot chronicles and armed and dangerous if anyone was curious)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am about 19 pages late but I agree with the guy who was a little disappointed Oracle of Ages and Seasons didn't make the list. Sooo much replay value with those secret codes, though I guess it is a little bad that to get the best experience you need to buy two games. But to be fair they were two really good games.

Still plenty of games for me to vote for and it is too late to change it now.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Xaviar wrote: »

20. SWAT4 (PC) <2005>

0 - 3
    1 - 1
    2 - 1
    3 - 1
    4 - 2
    5 - 6
    6 - 1
    7 - 5
    8 - 1
    9 - 1

I think you're the first person I've seen to list Deus Ex but not in your top 10.

You're also insane. Republic Commando ranked higher than Deus Ex and Half Life 2?? what?

Deus Ex was great the first time I played through it. Every time I try to get back into it to get that feeling again, it feels to clunky to me and I get turned off really fast. Great first playthrough though. And I really liked the teamwork feel in republic commando. Raised it above hl2 for me, which was good, and fun, but still the same shooter I'd been playing all along. I dunno. Commando was more immersive for me while hl was more just a fun and pretty game.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    I am about 19 pages late but I agree with the guy who was a little disappointed Oracle of Ages and Seasons didn't make the list.
    Blame EvilBadman for not adding them.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Cold FusionCold Fusion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks! You voted for:

23. Ico (PS2) <2001>

I'm surprised at the presence of quality western RPGs there, but lack BG2 or Arcanum, which I consider above those on your list.

I voted, but forgot to copy my selections. IIRC, my top 3 were Civ4, BG2, and TF2.

I also was not sure whether to put L4D or L4D2 on the list. L4D2 is mechanically better than L4D, but it feels more like a really well done expansion, that I wasn't sure which to choose. I ended up going with L4D2.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to Planescape: Torment, which probably would have been #1 on my list if it didn't miss the cut off for this decade by a measly 3 weeks.

Because during the time of those releases I was only playing online PC games for the most part. I own BG2 but sadly it's probably forever stuck in my backlog. I was never into D&D so the idea of having to learn the mechanics always put me off from playing it. Plus I tried BG1 a couple years back and didn't really enjoy it, though I know 2 is regarded as a much better game by most. As for Arcanum? I dunno, it always seems to get a fair share of hate when it's discussed (mainly technical problems?), and I just never really felt like it was something I should bother with. Maybe some day.

Cold Fusion on
    1309077-1.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I have pretty different taste compared to most. A lot of games people would say HAVE to be included on such a list I've just never played, or played a few minutes of and never came back. And, up until this generation and a tiny sliver of the end of the last I played almost nothing but JRPGs. Here's my list, though:
    2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) <2009>
    4. Final Fantasy IX (PS1) <2000>
    5. Digital Devil Saga (PS2) <2005>
    6. Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2) <2005>
    7. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Partiots (PS3) <2008>
    8. Persona 3 (PS2) <2007>
    9. Guitar Hero (PS2) <2005>
    10. God of War (PS2, PS3) <2005>
    11. Final Fantasy X (PS2) <2001>
    12. Persona 4 (PS2) <2008>
    13. Final Fantasy XI [Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, Wings of the God
    14. Final Fantasy XII (PS2) <2006>
    15. Dragon Age: Origins [Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep] (360,PC,PS3) <2009>
    16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2) <2003>
    17. Kingdom Hearts (PS2) <2002>
    18. Chrono Cross (PS1) <2000>
    19. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) <2007>
    20. Wipeout HD [Fury] (PS3) <2008>
    21. God of War 2 (PS2, PS3) <2007>
    22. Rock Band 2 (360, PS2, PS3, Wii) <2008>
    23. Bioshock (360, PS3, PC) <2007>
    24. Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2) <2004>
    25. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) <2004>

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally got around to voting, here is the list:
    1. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn [Throne of Baal] (PC) <2000>
    2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) <2007>
    3. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    4. Dragon Age: Origins [Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep] (360,PC,PS3) <2009>
    5. Street Fighter IV (360, PC, PS3) <2009>
    6. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    7. World of Goo (Wii*, PC) <2008>
    8. Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    9. Sins of a Solar Empire [Entrenchment] (PC) <2008>
    10. Pikmin 2 (GC) <2004>
    11. Call of Duty (PC, 306*, PS3*) <2003>
    12. Rome: Total War [Barbarian Invasion, Alexander] (PC) <2004>
    13. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC) <2003>
    14. Quake III Arena (PC, DC) <2000>
    15. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2002>

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You must gather your party bef- You must- You- Y-Y-You must gather your party before venturing- You must gather your party before venturing -

!

Do you really want to quit? Boo will miss you...
    You must gather your party before venturing forth.

<3

How could I vote any other way?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i need to cut a list of 74 down to 25

this might take awhile

ronzo on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's time to come clean. I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, and I thought 4 was the worst of all of them. The worst plot of all, the worst bosses of all, too short, and the CQC felt tacked on.

I thought MGS3 was the best, followed by The Twin Snakes, then 2, then 4.

I would have a much greater love for MGS4 if there weren't load times for each segment of the game and if there was a section select. The multiplayer was underwhelming as well. It's the only game I've ever looked forward to for years and watched every trailer for - I was ecstatic, only to see the desert section last a good hour or two (like every other section!).

I didn't even select it. I did choose MGS3 as game of the decade, though.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    look if you can't see that Half Life 2 is a fucking immersive game then maybe you should tell me what you think is a fucking immersive game and I will tell you that you are wrong.

Also I am amazed to learn that Metal Slug 3 was released in 2000. Metal Slug 3 is the work of God-Geniuses.
    Warren Spector used to tell his team that they should make worlds, not movie sets, so there's a good example. Deus Ex is an immersive game.

Maybe I've just played too many games, but I can't play something like Half-Life 2 anymore without it being painfully obvious how limited the world is. How every door other than the one you have to go through is a flat texture covering up the edge of the universe. Or how the only way that you know that you're going the right way is that there is no other way. Half-Life 2 is a movie set. An immersive game should be a world.

What you need to remember about Half Life 2 is that there's two ways to design a shooter.

One where you can take multiple paths through a level, and one where there is only one "intended" path.

If there is multiple paths, fine, you can open up the level a bit and have doors that don't really lead to anything important.

If there is only going to be one intended path though, the devs SHOULD close off the rest of the level, so that you know that if you are making forward progress, its pretty much guaranteed to be the right way.

Otherwise, you get the frustrating and annoying situation where the entire level is clear of enemies, you're running around in circles looking for the place to go and all you find is areas that take you out of the way for no reason.

I've kind of fallen into this trap myself on occasion. I might complain if a level in a typical shooter feels too linear, but the second I get a degree of choice I'm all "Oh man, which way do I go now? Was I here before? Graaaaahhh why isn't there a map or something," repeat. I think HL2 did a pretty good job with this; levels were sizable, and yet with one exception in Ravenholm I never felt confused about where I needed to go.

Dr. Avalanche: Sadly, Suiko3 didn't have enough castle building to make it on the list for me. Mostly good times, but kind of a letdown after 2. I kept hearing 5 was more of a return to form, but never did get around to checking it out. I'll see if I can still find a copy somewhere... and add it to the pile of games I still have to finish.

I'll get to you yet, Personas 3 and/or 4.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Black Ice wrote: »
    It's time to come clean. I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, and I thought 4 was the worst of all of them. The worst plot of all, the worst bosses of all, too short, and the CQC felt tacked on.

I would have a much greater love for MGS4 if there weren't load times for each segment of the game and if there was a section select. The multiplayer was underwhelming as well. It's the only game I've ever looked forward to for years and watched every trailer for - I was ecstatic, only to see the desert section last a good hour or two (like every other section!).

I've said it once and I'll say it again: I think MGS3 is the worst of the series, by far, for me.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping someone nominates Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro for next decade's GOTD

LaCabra on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is the only perfect game I can think of in the last 10 years. Therefore it would win my vote.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My list is strange. A lot of my favourite games are ones from the 90s, so it was kind of odd organizing a list from this decade. I mean, I liked a lot of games that came out, but not in the 'zomg top game of all time' kind of way. So some of the picks are on the list just because. Top 5 is pretty solid and the rest are basically in no particular order.
    1. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) <2009>
    3. Final Fantasy X (PS2) <2001>
    4. Okami (PS2, Wii) <2006>
    5. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    6. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) <2007>
    7. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) <2004>
    8. Unreal Tournament (DC, PC, PS2) <2001>
    9. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX, PC) <2003>
    11. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP) <2008>
    12. Rock Band 2 (360, PS2, PS3, Wii) <2008>
    13. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC) <2007>
    14. Yakuza 2 (PS2) <2008>
    15. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Partiots (PS3) <2008>
    16. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC) <2004>
    17. Flower (PS3*) <2009>
    18. Silent Hill 2 (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    19. Rock Band (360, PS2, PS3, Wii) <2007>
    20. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 [Yuri's Revenge] (PC) <2000>
    21. Hitman: Blood Money (PC, XBOX, 360, PS2) <2006>
    22. Assassin's Creed II (360, PS3) <2009>
    23. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2004>
    24. Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2) <2000>
    25. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360, PS3, PC) <2009>

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    You must gather your party bef- You must- You- Y-Y-You must gather your party before venturing- You must gather your party before venturing -

!

Do you really want to quit? Boo will miss you...
    You must gather your party before venturing forth.

<3

How could I vote any other way?

I modded that out of existence like 2 minutes after installing BG2

Jars on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've said it once and I'll say it again: I think MGS3 is the worst of the series, by far, for me.

I loved 4 when it first came out, but I played it a second time last week and wasn't really feeling it. Did you ever play Subsistence Radikal?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I loved 4 when it first came out, but I played it a second time last week and wasn't really feeling it. Did you ever play Subsistence Radikal?

I wanted to put 1 on the list but it came out before 2000 :(
    I stopped playing them after 2...

On an unrelated note, I forgot to put SotC and Ico on my list. At least I know that there are plenty of people who did to make up for that

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My Top 5 (because all the cool kids are doing it):

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

For a game that was "rushed," buggy, and reused several of its predecessor's assets, I believe that Majora's Mask was in every way better than Ocarina of Time. The three day cycle was a brilliant, innovative mechanic that really made the world of Termina come alive and made its people seem real in a way that hadn't been done before in games. The story and world were a twisted blend of colorful and depressingly dark. You have all of these Zelda mainstays and alternate versions of Ocarina's people that are being forced to deal with their own mortality. Two events will always stick out in my head when I think about Majora's Mask: the two lovers who only manage to present how much they mean to each other mere moments before the end of their lives and the Swordsman. Throughout the three days leading up to the destruction of Termina, this Swordsman tells others not to fear. When the time comes he would surely save them, slicing the moon itself in two if he had to. But hours before the end, he is nowhere to be seen. When you visit his school you find a sign at the back of the room indicating that he has gone on vacation. But if you break down the wall with your sword you find the Swordsman huddled in a corner, crying. He says he is scared, and that he doesn't want to die. That stuck with me.

2. Final Fantasy IX

Absolutely charming. For three games in a row the Final Fantasy series had been home to quite, serious main characters. Most had broken through by the end, but for much of the game these characters were really kind of downers. Terra was quite, unsure of her humanity, and questioned whether she did things for herself or because others told her what to do. Cloud was convinced by Sephiroth that he was a puppet and even spent a portion of the game in shock, motionless and bound to a wheelchair. Squall was a teenager raised in a highly competitive military environment, leaving him detached from others and came off like a jackass. But FFIX changed all that with a cast of characters that could deal with the hardships of their lives without becoming unlikable. Near the beginning of the game the main character, Zidane, invites the Princess Garnet to climb up the airship later before him for the sole purpose of having a better view of her ass, even "accidentally" grabbing it on the way up and commenting on how soft it was. This was Cloud or Squall by a long shot. The star of the show was surely Vivi though. He was a young black mage, a golem created by dark magic and lost souls. The black mages were created to be unquestioning soldiers for the kingdom of Alexandria. He had to juggle that he was made for war, and would perish within a year, with his love of life and his friends. The story may have become a little convoluted towards the end and people will bash the fact that the final boss come out of nowhere, but the game probably has one of the best endings in the series, detailing the lives of characters you've come to really care for.

3. Metroid Prime

The most immersive game I've ever played. I cringed when I first heard that they were taking my beloved Metroid franchise and turning into a first person shooter. They called it a "first person adventure" game but I thought that was a load of bullshit. God was I wrong. And it has never felt so good to be wrong. Metroid Prime captures the isolation of the previous Metroid games perfectly. The sense of wonder when first entering the Phendrana Drifts (aided by its fucking fantastic music) has yet to be matched for me in all of gaming. None of the sequels could touch the original in my opinion.

4. Mass Effect

BioWare presents "Space Opera - The Western Roleplaying Adventure." Everything you've ever loved about the Space Opera genre is here in fine form. Codex pages full of fluff information. Sexy blue "women" who exist as a nerd's fantasy. Alien racism, underhanded politics, rigged gambling machines, the debate on genetic alteration of children still in the womb, rogue AIs, space bounty hunting ITS ALL HERE. All while being able to pick and choose how you would progress through the galaxy and face its challenges. Would you be the hero of all the galaxy? Or were you after the advancement of the human race on a galactic scale? Maybe the mission was all that was important and you would Jack Bauer your way through any situation in order to complete your objectives. Words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2.

5. Street Fighter IV

A true return to form for not only the legendary Street Fighter series, but the entire 2D fighting genre. I grew up in a house right across the street from a bowling alley. Hours of my youth and countless quarters were spent at the alley's arcade in front of various Street Fighter machines. First it was just SFII, where I was the kid that could "do the uppercut punch" (shoryuken) when guys twice my age couldn't pull it off. Later, all of SFII's various sequels and upgrades. Then the VS series. And finally in high school, SFIII Third Strike (along with several King of Fighters, Garou, and Last Blade 2). The gameplay is still rock solid, the hype machine is still chugging along at full steam. This game defines one of my friendships now. My best friend of many years, who moved to Canada in early 2009. We are eternal rivals, and SFIV helps keep that spirit alive.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is the only perfect game I can think of in the last 10 years. Therefore it would win my vote.

Unfortunately, it's technically a port of a game made in the 90s, so it couldn't be nominated.

Also, agreed.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I did play Subsistence. My problem with the game, though, was that I could barely play it. I can't aim with my left thumb at all, and the stationary targeting and all that shit just does not work in big open environments. The same system didn't bother me in MGS2, because for the most part people were directly in front of you if you ran into them and needed to take them out quickly. It was really easy to line up a shot, even for me, but in MGS3 that was impossible. I felt like I was fighting it every step of the way. That and the camo stuff was kind of cool for a few minutes, then it became really REALLY annoying having to go into the menu every 3 seconds. I mean I know I would have loved it if the gameplay had made the changes I felt it needed (basically all the changes MGS4 made), since the story is great.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg