As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo3/Wars/Reach - REACH BETA = May 3rd; NEW REACH MULTI VID IN OP

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't mind doing some ODST, whether it be Firefight or Legendary campaign, to get some more screenshot fodder.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    043 wrote: »
    I'm reading the newest Halo book (and really like a lot of the stories I've read so far), but The Mona Lisa was really good, but kind of depressing overall.
    It's about the crew of the UNSC Red Horse traveling to the wreckage of Installation 04 to recover the derelict UNSC Mona Lisa, a ship sent by ONI S3 to experiment on Elites and humans (prisoners) using Flood samples.

The Flood break out, and completely infect the ship. The Marines sent in find a prisoner who's befriended a captured Elite he calls "Henry", who fights off the Flood with a cricket bat. I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story here, but it turned out really good, and unless it's topped by something in the second half, is my favorite in the book.

Wort wort wort, indeed.

Eric Nylund's story is the only good story in the book.

Okay.

Reposting myself from pages back to say that Nylund's fucking history book about Cole is, so far, the most uninteresting and hard to not fall asleep to story in "Evolutions".

Two-SPARTAN Fireteams and Flood breakouts on prison ships are way cooler than "Listen to the shit this guy lucked into, becoming one of the war's greatest heroes."

I'm sure it ends well, but shit, is the first half boring.
    I want them to give Nylund more gaps in the universe to tell solid, action-based stories in. Cole Protocol and now Evolutions are both disappointing as hell when compared to FoR or Contact Harvest. Since we'll never find out otherwise, tell us what happened to the SPARTAN-IIs in the Shield World, at least.

I get the feeling that, like Buckell's writing in Cole Protocol, Greg Bear will write a dry ass series about the Forerunner because he isn't part of Microsoft like Nylund was (in writing for Epic, etc.) or Staten is.

I'm sorry you prefer terribly written stories that try to have a 'Cool, casual' narrative by removing worlds from sentences and adding apostrophes at the end of everything, instead of ballin' space battles revolving around the UNSCs greatest hero.

May I interest you in 'The Flood' by U.S. science fiction author 'William C Dietz'?

Halo_The_Flood_by_William_C_Dietz_novel_cover.jpg

Specific examples from Mona Lisa would be appreciated.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Okay, I just got back the form I need to fill out for Bungie Favorites.

They have slots for 2 weeks of content, and each week has:

- 3 screenshots
    - 5 films or film clips
    - 5 gametypes
    - 5 maps

Start recommendin' to gt "FyreWulff Rex", or post here, or email, or PM, or whatever. Files MUST BE in a file share, so please keep a file on your file share for the forseeable future.

edit - Respect Knuckles is definitely already a lock, and perhaps Ohtsams Minotaur and Kor's Minotaur map?

edit2 - it also doesn't have to be one of your files, you can pick anything from bungie.net

Welp, there's the one where the ODST doesn't want to get left behind, and the one I always mention where I'm totally fucking awesome.

I've always preferred this one, in which you are pretty much the opposite of awesome and I shoot you in the head for it.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha I don't even have to look at it to know that it's the one on Last Resort with a bubble shield.

I say it doesn't count because it was a private match. :)

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha I don't even have to look at it to know that it's the one on Last Resort with a bubble shield.

I say it doesn't count because it was a private match. :)

How about this one, then?

EDIT: Fuck, that's from the 1v1 tournament thing.

You win again, but this isn't over.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I just got back the form I need to fill out for Bungie Favorites.

They have slots for 2 weeks of content, and each week has:

- 3 screenshots
    - 5 films or film clips
    - 5 gametypes
    - 5 maps

Start recommendin' to gt "FyreWulff Rex", or post here, or email, or PM, or whatever. Files MUST BE in a file share, so please keep a file on your file share for the forseeable future.

edit - Respect Knuckles is definitely already a lock, and perhaps Ohtsams Minotaur and Kor's Minotaur map?

edit2 - it also doesn't have to be one of your files, you can pick anything from bungie.net

Welp, there's the one where the ODST doesn't want to get left behind, and the one I always mention where I'm totally fucking awesome.

I see your ODST left behind and raise you a Johnson.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does it have to be Halo 3? I have this one from ODST

I need to put some clips and games on my file share though

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got the best photo gallery on the planet!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/screenshots.aspx?player=xzzy&mode=pinned

But I'm not really a bee, so I guess it's moot.

xzzy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    I got the best photo gallery on the planet!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/screenshots.aspx?player=xzzy&mode=pinned

But I'm not really a bee, so I guess it's moot.

Have you forgotten that the only qualification is posting here? :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I did. SO WHAT.

I figured I should have at least played one game with the group.. I've been reading this thread since before Halo 2 was out and don't think I've ever once gamed with anyone in here.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You had to. You were (are?) on my friends list for the longest time on my previous account, and I only had people I had played Halo with on it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have a really awesome shot from Halo 3 that I could post.

EDIT: And here it is! http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=3601210

Chief on the side of a Hornet, Scarab exploding in the background...
    Of course if it was video, the next frame was of the pilot crashing into the other Scarab...

I actually got to use it during a PowerPoint on "The History of Gaming" and H3 was top dog at the time.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was playing Halo 3 multiplayer today, and it made me think of Halo 2. Does anyone still play it online anymore? It was my favorite and I miss it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BeAHero

tl;dr change your emblem to the Heart for a day and Bungie will donate up to 77,000$

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AMadTeaPartyAMadTeaParty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We should organize customs for that day to participate in the screenshot contest.

AMadTeaParty on
  • Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did someone say Halo 2?

Ah, those were the days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbj1OWOOUyc

Edit: LOL @ 1 star rating! Jump to 2:15 for the "good" part.

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We should organize customs for that day to participate in the screenshot contest.

Best idea so far.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I question why you even bothered to record 5 minutes of that, then upload it.

Though Foundation was a pretty super map. I miss it.

Also, I have Halo 2 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qq-svDsJg

Wish I'd kept the original, I had a better resolution video but youtube slaughtered it. Is some boring action from a lan party.

xzzy on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry you prefer terribly written stories that try to have a 'Cool, casual' narrative by removing worlds from sentences and adding apostrophes at the end of everything, instead of ballin' space battles revolving around the UNSCs greatest hero.

May I interest you in 'The Flood' by U.S. science fiction author 'William C Dietz'?

Halo_The_Flood_by_William_C_Dietz_novel_cover.jpg

A) Who the fuck are you? I'm not trying to argue, I just enjoy posting opinions of things on the internet. EDIT: You don't have to roll up and contradict me every time I mention the book I'm reading.

What do you care if I like one story more than another? Or get kind of bored during page long sequences of ships moving in space - I perk up as soon as they start shooting, I promise.

B) The space battles are the only part I like. I don't give a fuck about Admiral Cole's school grades.
    Specific examples from Mona Lisa would be appreciated.

What do you mean?

EDIT: I demand that we go play CTF on Coagulation.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    man you know what, Halo 1 is actually still a pretty fun game after all these years

on PC anyway

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    man you know what, Halo 1 is actually still a pretty fun game after all these years

on PC anyway

I remembered that I own Halo PC the other day, but haven't installed it yet.

Are there enough people here to install it and actually play? I'm gonna be shitty with a KB&M, but am more than willing to try.

I miss H1. :(

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, but it's easy to get multiplayer games going via "LAN" with Hamachi on your computer...and those are pretty frigging fun, I have to say.

e: And I mean Halo CE is free as long as you've still got your original CD key so it's not hard to re-install the multiplayer component.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    I dunno, but it's easy to get multiplayer games going via "LAN" with Hamachi on your computer...and those are pretty frigging fun, I have to say.

e: And I mean Halo CE is free as long as you've still got your original CD key so it's not hard to re-install the multiplayer component.

I meant some games going in Halo PC.

Also: Are we gonna doll up in the color scheme and play next week for Haiti relief?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would like to think so, I know I will be.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I mean Custom Edition on the PC, not the standard game. Should have been clearer.

I just saw the Haiti thing but I think I'd be down for offering all the support I can. Might buy a shirt, at least.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm considering getting the shirt.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the red Superintendent shirt is pretty cool, it's a good blend of geekiness and empathy for your fellow man. Think I'll be picking it up in the next few days, if only to do my small part towards the relief fund.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Damn, why'd they have to release that AFTER I already gave money..

.. I'm still considering doing a Firefight marathon to raise money.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Damn, why'd they have to release that AFTER I already gave money..

.. I'm still considering doing a Firefight marathon to raise money.
    You mean, like one really long match, or continuous matches?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One really long firefight probably on Normal, maybe Heroic, definitely not Legendary.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also good games tonight, except for that Valhalla game, but I enjoyed trolling them afterwards.

Those frat bros were SO pissed during the game and it was like they were having a god damn orgasm when they got lucky and planted the bomb.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One really long firefight probably on Normal, maybe Heroic, definitely not Legendary.
    Count me out then, I was completely drained at the end of my endure run

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's gonna be solo, can't stream while playing over the internet, and lol dropped connections.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    @HaloWaypoint: "VHAs were awesome! Reach trailer is amazing!"

I just saw this tweet pop up, and then get deleted.

I didn't get a screenshot. :( Damn it.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Halo PC's godawful netcode really drags after a while, but messing around in the crazy custom maps (which I can provide if you're interested) with flyable longsword fighters and anti tank rifles can be a lot of fun for a bit

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not too suprising about Halo PC's netcode. From ex-developer posts, it looks like they couldn't decide if they wanted lockstep or predictive until very near release, which is a really bad issue to have unresolved that late in the dev cycle.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I get the whole, let's-help-people-who-got-genocided-by-an-earthquake-bit. Really, it's fine and very heartfelt to have a donation button on your website and for Bungie to make this whole campaign. However, it seems a little self-strokery for a video game company to refuse to update us about their damn game because of something for which they hold no responsibility. Oh look at us, we're taking the high road by reminding our fans of the Haiti thing that they hear about ALL FUCKING DAY.

How about this: just say you were too busy ratcheting up this whole Haiti donation business, polishing up your image and feeling good about it, to do the update. Don't bullshit and say, "Oh well, it's not right for us to actually do what our job description says because of an earthquake." Fuck that, be honest.
    Internet!

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Whoa.

Just.

Goddamnit.

Alright.

Halo is fun, a cool game. A well done work by Bungie.

But that person's priorities are so fucked up and backwards that I wish to disassociate them from Halo forever. And the internet. And reality.

Just jesus fuck.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Sharp_Sniper99Sharp_Sniper99 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey FyreWulff is it ok to recommend some files given that I havent really been more than a lurker here?

What type of files are you taking, is there a theme, most of my videos are along the lines of this:
    http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=104401643

In terms of maps the only map ive made is a sort of small boxing ring designed best for 1v1, and a fiesta king of the hill gametype to go with it, essentially you spawn outside the ring and make your way in to fight whoever's holding it.

It plays better than it sounds and is REALLY good when you want to play with friends where the skill difference is large.

Sharp_Sniper99 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man I laughed really hard at that guy's post

I mean if Halo is more important to you than people dying I think it's time for a different hobby.

T4CT on
This discussion has been closed.