As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me SmartPhone

bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, I've been thinking about updating my shoephone to a smart shoephone. Only problem is that I really don't know which way to go. I live in Canada and my current provider is Bell. I want to stick with them primarily because I have 100$ worth of loyalty credit. I'm a whore like that.

I have been thinking about just going with an iPhone, mainly for how much it can do. But regardless, I'm just looking for something that can do web browsing/google maps, have a solid twitter app (mainly for PAX).

Thanks for the huge help.

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
<@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
bubblegumnex on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My only experience is with iPhone, but I can say that it will do everything you want it to. The standard map app leaves a little to be desired (no landscape view?!?) but it's serviceable. There are a lot of Twitter apps, but paid and free. I recommend Tweetie 2. It's $2.99 I think, and is definitely the most powerful and polished Twitter apps I've seen.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IPhone is probably the easiest smartphone to use. Though I would also check what sort of Android smartphones you could pick from.

I just got a Nexus One (upgraded from a G1) and I'm really loving the crap out of it. One of the big pluses of Android over the Iphone is the ability to multitask. So I can be listening to my Pandora App or Goggle Listen (podcasts) while surfing the net or checking twitter.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That would be my advice as well. Nothing wrong with an iphone, but read up on Android phones a bit, just to make sure you're getting the right one for you.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Now, when you're referring to Android, are you referring to the OS that the phone is using? Also what is the app world like for Androids? I'm hearing it is way less strict that what Apple has in place.

bubblegumnex on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Right. There's lots of phones that use the Android OS.

I'm not sure what options you would have (Since I'm not familiar with Canadian providers) but a quick google search led me to believe that Bell carries that Samsung Galaxy, which is a pretty good phone I believe.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My anecdotal experience is to avoid anything HTC. Everybody I've known with an HTC handset has had it fail and/or just be generally shitty.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to also agree that you probably can't go wrong with an iPhone if it's available - I just made the switch to one from a Blackberry Curve, and it's like night and day. The improved web browsing is awesome, and the fact that it basically doubles as an iPod doesn't hurt either.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »
    My anecdotal experience is to avoid anything HTC. Everybody I've known with an HTC handset has had it fail and/or just be generally shitty.

People seem to love the Nexus One so far.

I'm happy with my Droid. There are fewer apps for Android than iPhone, but there's more freedom, and the native multitasking is nice, and Google Navigation. Honestly though, most of the big name phones will get the job done about the same.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As a canadian, you might want to wait until Wave starts selling service in canada, its going to undercut the canadian companies by as much as 20%, making them lower prices (we hope). Dont sign any fixed rate contracts with bell right now, as you might be kicking yourself in a few short weeks.

Slo on
  • Options
    MutePrezMutePrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm happy with my Droid. There are fewer apps for Android than iPhone, but there's more freedom, and the native multitasking is nice, and Google Navigation. Honestly though, most of the big name phones will get the job done about the same.

I have the HTC Hero and I'm loving it so far. There are a few kinks to be sure, but overall it's a pretty solid phone.

MutePrez on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Slo wrote: »
    As a canadian, you might want to wait until Wave starts selling service in canada, its going to undercut the canadian companies by as much as 20%, making them lower prices (we hope). Dont sign any fixed rate contracts with bell right now, as you might be kicking yourself in a few short weeks.

Well, I'm sticking with bell because I can get a smartphone pretty much for free with my credits with them, which will help. Plus I need a smartphone for a project that I need to do.
    MutePrez wrote: »

I have the HTC Hero and I'm loving it so far. There are a few kinks to be sure, but overall it's a pretty solid phone.

I have been looking at Droids and lack of paid Android Market here will help with app OCD.

bubblegumnex on