As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Being able to jump into Jock's locked apartment from Maggie Chow's place was awesome.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    that seems unlikely, how old is your laptop?
    DX wasn't graphically intensive even back in 2000.
    Yes, it was.
    Gamespot wrote:
    But in consequence of such detail, the game tends to run slowly even on high-end computer systems.
    IGN wrote:
    One of the worst problems I ran into with Deus Ex was the high system requirements. Deus Ex ran choppy even on some of the higher end computers we played it on.

People just seem to have forgotten that because they played it repeatedly on ever faster machines. Liberty Isle dipped into single digits on my machine of the time.

Glal on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    I played it comfortably on a really shithouse computer back in the day

Tube on
  • dexodexo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as memorable things go, I think I'd have to make like a 50 item list and it would be by no means exhaustive. Though I'll try for just a few:
    1) UNATCO HQ escape, so awesome.
    2) The way the sewers and streets in NY masterfully showed what was wrong with the in-game world.
    3) Standing on top of the building in Denfert-Rochereau, seeing an MJ12 bot here and there, feeling like you're above them, yet simultaneously at their mercy...
    4) The Cathedral, with the majestic music and the sense of impending confrontation with enemies.
    5) Aiming the nuke at Area 51.
    6) "That makes me one ugly son of a bitch". Say what you will about JC's voice acting, but it somehow went perfectly with that line.
    7) The entirety of Area 51.
    8) Fuck it, the entire game was the most memorable ever.
    9) From speedrun related ones, finding a way to cut off two minutes in Vandenberg.
    10) And again speedrun related... after months of work, planning and finding tricks, getting to Area 51. That sense of accomplishment "I'm so close to finishing this" was just perfect along with that damn music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXscjvyS2Z4

I can't think of a game/movie that was more memorable. If you ask me, it's really the pinnacle of gaming.

And IW wasn't bad, certainly. But compared to its predecessor, it was a disappointment. Maybe not as disappointing as, like, The Phantom Menace, but still disappointing.

dexo on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What was that quote from a guy working on DX3 about how the original had no memorable moments? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for their game.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • dexodexo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did not hear about that, but my hopes for DX3 just went down by 80 percent.

dexo on
    edited January 2010
    Lead designer Jean-Francois Dugas simultaneously raised fan hopes and crushed their dreams in 2008 by saying Deus Ex 3 may not hit consoles due to its complexity--sequel Invisible War was often criticised as 'consolised'--while commenting that Ion Storm's original was "kind of slow" and had too few "exciting, memorable moments."
    There it is. Hopefully enough people have beaten him over the head with his words to teach him a lesson by now.

Lork on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the fact that it won't hit consoles fills me with happiness
    fuck you, console fucks. for once, we get a game and YOU don't.

Dhalphir on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    haha, it's like 'hmm, how many people can I piss off using only two sentences?'

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited January 2010

Grow up.

Tube on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i was not happy waiting a year for the Force Unleashed.

Dhalphir on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

You might be remembering it wrong, I also had terrible performance on a decent computer.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010

Too bad it was horrible.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

yeah that installation was a killer

ba-zing

great game on the xbox though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited January 2010
    This thread is about Deus Ex.

Tube on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Dude.

Really?

Waka Laka on
    edited January 2010
    Anyone ever tried out any of the earlier mods/maps? Stuff like ZODIAC or Redsun?

Read about them a while back but never played them.

mere_immortal on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd recommend Red Sun, though it does have a large amount of regurgitated content (models textures and such), for a mod it's not too bad,but pretty forgettable. The characters are a bit flat, but the level design is pretty nice at times. Don't go expecting anything out of this world and you might enjoy it.

Waka Laka on
    edited January 2010
    Are there any ones other than The Nameless Mod that have voice acting? It's weird, because I don't have any problem with any other game without VO, and it's not one of Deus Ex's better points, but I can't stand playing DX without it.

Lork on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have to say, with the exception of "A BOMB!?" I quite liked JC's voice acting in DX. The way he talked just conveyed everything it needed to - namely - intelligent badass.

electricitylikesme on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've played a few of the other mods. Zodiac is probably the closest to the original Deus Ex; it's tightly built, has a couple different endings, and it's basically a sidestory where you play as Paul. Downside is it's rather stingy with the augs and comes off as a weird crossover of DX, Ghost in the Shell, and Independence Day. I mean that quite literally, I assure you. It's good times all the same though, and levels are big enough to encourage multiple solutions to a given problem.

Similar things can be said about RedSun, which has absolutely huge levels that definitely reward exploration. The story starts off interesting, focusing on a prototype nano-aug agent trying to get the hell out of Japan in the middle of a Yakuza war, but the script is silly for the most part and it comes off as only half done. Still, it's a solid adventure through the strength of DX's gameplay, if nothing else.

I'd also recommend Burden of 80 Proof, which is about as short and sweet as it gets. Little combat to speak of, since it's just about some programmer trying to duck work early and round up enough money to buy beer for a party over the weekend. The writing and scripting are pretty tight and there's quite a few ways to get things done in the game.

Far as I know, only TNM has voice acting.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm giving this another chance. I tried it once and didn't even finish the first mission, don't remember why.
    Finished it now, although I probably missed half the stuff since I found the way to the leader pretty fast. Like how every soldier says "Gunther should've followed orders". What? I didn't even meet him.

Anyway, is it me or is the tranq crossbow pretty bad. During the time it takes for the target to be knocked out from it he shoots you and might alert nearby enemies.

Fuga on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You might be remembering it wrong, I also had terrible performance on a decent computer.

I bought the game around release day. It ran horribly and wasn't even that pretty for it. I was running UT99 just fine too. I remember being pretty baffled by it.

That didn't stop me from loving the game and soaking up every minute though.

Drake on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    I'm giving this another chance. I tried it once and didn't even finish the first mission, don't remember why.
    Finished it now, although I probably missed half the stuff since I found the way to the leader pretty fast. Like how every soldier says "Gunther should've followed orders". What? I didn't even meet him.

Anyway, is it me or is the tranq crossbow pretty bad. During the time it takes for the target to be knocked out from it he shoots you and might alert nearby enemies.

The beginning of the game is really slow before things get interesting (about 2 hours in). Then it's like an exponential upward curve of awesome.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

He's mentioned at the beginning of the mission, and you're supposed to try and rescue him (although you can finish the mission without doing it). You meet him during the training mission, he teaches you about weapons.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I have to say, with the exception of "A BOMB!?" I quite liked JC's voice acting in DX. The way he talked just conveyed everything it needed to - namely - intelligent badass.

Yeah, I agree. He is a bit droll but people make him out to have a totally flat affect which I don't think is true at all. Lines like when he tells Jojo "move along before I have your ass picked up for pandering" didn't sound robotlike in the least.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I wonder how many people have been turned off from the game entirely because of the first level. I have to admit that Liberty Island has kind of a lousy design - you want to get to the top of the statue, but Paul tells you to go first to the other side of the island (right past the main entrance and the path of a sentry robot) to get a key that you will more than likely not need by the time you get there. Then the game just stops giving you any advice at all and leaves you to your own devices in a level filled with guards where your weapons more than likely suck or don't have enough ammo.

I remember liking it, but I had just got done playing Rogue Spear, so I was used to taking two hours to creep through a level. I wasn't completely sold on the game until the second stage. A level entirely about exploring your workplace, popping into your new boss's office for a chat, then meeting the IT dude to get your office key and your network login? Score.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My laptop won't be able to play it.
    requirements 300 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 4 MB video card RAM, 4X CD-ROM drive, DirectX 7.0a, 150 MB available hard disk space,

My phone can double that. Are you really saying that your computer is weaker than my cell phone?

CJTheran on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oooh - also in Paris!
    ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

This part scared the shit out of me. I was, as I recall, feeling totally badass at the time. I had just slaughtered a ton of troopers and was augmented out the ying-yang, and I stopped by that gun-seller guy's hidey-hole. He was gone, and so I pilfered what I wanted, and lastly hacked his computer terminal. Read his email, then saw that I had one too - I froze up for a good minute, waiting for something to happen (I was thinking "oh shit, they found me, shitshitshitshit"), then booked it to the next story-area (can't remember what that was). Probably one of the most bowel-clearing moments I've ever had in a game, including F.E.A.R. and others.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm at the second run of Battery Park, and I still don't quite get the level design. I wish the game had more dialogue segments, because I enjoy that way more.

Not that gassing a crowd and then picking them off one by one isn't a blast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I wonder how many people have been turned off from the game entirely because of the first level. I have to admit that Liberty Island has kind of a lousy design - you want to get to the top of the statue, but Paul tells you to go first to the other side of the island (right past the main entrance and the path of a sentry robot) to get a key that you will more than likely not need by the time you get there. Then the game just stops giving you any advice at all and leaves you to your own devices in a level filled with guards where your weapons more than likely suck or don't have enough ammo.

I remember liking it, but I had just got done playing Rogue Spear, so I was used to taking two hours to creep through a level. I wasn't completely sold on the game until the second stage. A level entirely about exploring your workplace, popping into your new boss's office for a chat, then meeting the IT dude to get your office key and your network login? Score.

Yeah the first mission is so weird. You enter the island, see enemies far away that don't react to you, a patrolling sentry robot that's an ally, what.

Fuga on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not to mention UNATCO HQ is right there. On the same island.

I really liked Liberty Island, though. I thought it was a great introduction to the game's style as there are so many ways to get to the top of the statue.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For Maggie's apartment:
    After my first playthrough I usually scaled the building across the street from her's and put a bullet in her head with my handy-dandy sniper rifle.

I remember seeing the review for Deus Ex on X-play (or whatever the fuck it was called back then). They said it was completely awesome, if you had the super computer to run it. It may not have been graphically impressive even when it first came out, but the game kept track of a shit load of different things. Heh, you may not have needed a super computer to run it at release, but you probably would have needed a higher end machine then most people probably sported back then.

I think one of the things that is so impressive about Deus Ex is that the writers anticipated damn near every fucking choice you can think of and wrote dialouge for it accordingly. Hell, I think there were even a few bits of dialouge that you could only get if you glitched through certain parts. One I think had to do with UNATCO HQ and Manderley, but I can't remember the particulars.

Edit- Actually now that I think about it, I do not think there has been a game yet with full voice acting that had such a massive a number of choices (that were kept track of even) in it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He even comments if JC goes into the women's restroom.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The thing that truly blew my mind back when I first started playing it were save files larger than my Diablo 1 installation.

Drake on
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd say "there's a good reason why Deus Ex is my favourite game ever", but really, I can't pick just one. It absolutely feels like a convincing world - despite only being able to affect the ending during the confrontation at Area 51, there are so many other actions and effects that occur throughout the game - Paul, the Rentons, Jock, the former Illuminati leader...

I really quite liked JC's voice acting, too; the entire game felt like a homage to noir, and his near-deadpan helped reinforce that immensely. I wouldn't change a bit of it.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I was absolutely blown away when I went into the women's bathroom on the first level and Manderley told me off for it.

That sealed the deal for me.

Dhalphir on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man man maaaaan don't make me play it again. Or TNM again. I have other games to play!

Also, tanned JC with 5-o'clock shadow 4 life.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    I was planning to play it again.

Then i remembered my huge backlog.

:(

Dhalphir on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Walton Simon's "interview" also blew me away. You're not supposed to see it and it's lengthy!

emnmnme on
This discussion has been closed.