As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frank's Thread - Update #4

F87F87 So Say We AllRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hi all,

I'm going to post most of my personal work here. I really need to make sure I'm not collecting bad habits.

General feedback would be great, please don't hold back!

C5fJg.png

76vOG.png

FpFn5.png

hzfiC.png

Q5YXr.png

FP8nV.png

J4vke.png

ZFGH7.jpg

wjdRP.jpg

I really need to finish more personal art, but work is keeping me pretty busy. :?

Thanks for any help!

F87 on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WHERE'S MY BEARD?!??!?/111

NightDragon on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LOL

What???

F87 on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »

hahahahahahaha

thank goodness! :lol:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow.

What a great start to my shiny new thread. :P

You guys...

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry. :P

As far as critiques go......I'd probably just sound like a broken record...you need to branch out more, I think, and do more dynamic poses. The shirtless-guy doodles are a really good start - you should do more of those. You also need to think more out-of-the-box with your clothing designs. Look at the wackiest-ass runway fashion you can find. Look through (and buy) books on fashion through the ages, clothing trends around the world and in different cultures, and look at professional concept artists' designs, try to analyze them, and try to put yourself into the same mode of thinking. If you see a design where the clothing is pretty normal and traditional...but is made much more interesting through the use of scale, for instance (making sections much much smaller, and making others much larger), try to think about what they did, and how you can mimic that idea in your next piece. Combine different cultures' styles to create something new. Base the clothing off of a bird (as in, the silhouette or anatomical aesthetic of a bird....don't draw the dude in a bird suit) or something. Pick an environment/setting and think about a list of character designs you can make for that setting (emperor and his court? military designs - grunts/mercenaries/special ops? humanoid creatures? slaves? common folk? town mayor? marketplace people? children of the impoverished? children of the wealthy? The town idiot? The resident senile old man who collects moldy loaves of bread to plant in his garden? etc. etc. etc.....the possibilities are endless, and all offer unique design ideas).

Also think about the style or "look" that you're going for..."fantasy" could be a lot of things...think about all the games and movies that are of a fantastical genre...the design aesthetics can be RADICALLY different! Same with a sci-fi genre, and etc. Star Wars and Star Trek have distinct design aesthetics in comparison to one another....as do LOTR and WoW, for example. You have to think about what you're aiming for...making multiple things that fit the same "look" would also be good practice for you, I think - an environment, few characters, a few props, and a creature or two, or something. See if you can make it obvious that they all come from the same world.

Try to figure out ways to think about your designs differently. You're going to be hired based on your ideas, so you'd better learn how to wow them. Rendering, and adding one standard bit of generic shoulder armor, and a belt with some things hanging off it it...is not going to wow your potential employers. You need to come up with stuff that is new and original. Show them you can come up with unique things that others can't.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow, thanks ND.

That's a lot to think about. But you're right, I really need to focus on the concept of what I'm doing a lot more. I've always struggled with that! Even though different cultures (and their fashions) always interest me...

I appreciate the advice, I will put it to good use!

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sure thing! I edited and added a little bit since the time you posted, too. Just some extra stuff to think about. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also think about the style or "look" that you're going for..."fantasy" could be a lot of things...think about all the games and movies that are of a fantastical genre...the design aesthetics can be RADICALLY different! Same with a sci-fi genre, and etc. Star Wars and Star Trek have distinct design aesthetics in comparison to one another....as do LOTR and WoW, for example. You have to think about what you're aiming for...making multiple things that fit the same "look" would also be good practice for you, I think - an environment, few characters, a few props, and a creature or two, or something. See if you can make it obvious that they all come from the same world.

Awesome! That would be a great exercise. I must study this intently! Thank you.

F87 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think ND is right. I think you should do some work from reference to refill that library in your head of yours with new ideas. This girl thing you just posted is like mashed potatoes and meatloaf for you. Try a new cuisine.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ahh but I love mashed potatoes!

I really am an extremely picky eater as well.

Thanks, Scos. I will try!

F87 on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Number 4 and 5 remind me of PSG which is a good thing. Try taking it one level closer to him and add some actual highlights to make them pop out more.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mayday wrote: »
    Number 4 and 5 remind me of PSG which is a good thing. Try taking it one level closer to him and add some actual highlights to make them pop out more.

I guess it shows! I was following his process tutorial while working on those.

Thanks, Mayday. I will definitely study PSG some more.

EDIT:

I found a reference and tried again:
    tOs9J.png

Also, threw down some quick colors on this:
    6LSuq.png

Going to do a nice healthy exercise tonight after work.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here is a rough sketched I worked out, while keeping Nightdragon's feedback in mind. I looked around at fashion and other artists designs while I drew this.

However, it's not very practical is it? I like it though.

frGyN.png

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do a sheet with like, 30 iterations of one character's clothing. Change the clothing up a bit each time. Mix and match some to create a new look. Run out of ideas? Great. At that point, force yourself to come up with 20 more iterations. You really need to push your creative thinking.

I like the top part of her outfit, it's cool-looking.

You visit conceptart.org, right? You know what I'm talking about. Something more like this? There are actually only a few ideas in here, but he's mix-and-matched a whole hell of a lot of them, to create new designs. I'd honestly suggest to you that you do something along these lines, but with MANY more base ideas, and much less mixing and matching...just because I think you need to push yourself and practice coming up with different designs (many of them) and really challenge yourself.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That above-perspective view on the girl looks great.
    I really need to finish more personal art.
    Yes, it's hard to tell where you're at in rendering and everything. You've gotten anatomy down pretty well, but seeing final products would give more people more to say.

I just wanted to say, in your thread about the demomen propaganda, I did not realize it was you when I said something about 3d forms. They were all rough, and I thought they were final, and I often forget your username because I think of you as Frank.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    srsizzy - Thanks. :) I remember that, and I still think you're right about 3d forms. Glad to see you think of me as Frank, that's better than recognizing my user name.

ND - I will do this a lot more now. I tried it out (not 30 of them - YET!) and I'm so suprised at how many different ways I could change things. I really have to keep exploring using this method, thank you so much for the help and advice! I really think it will help me.

gKrPf.png

Let me know what you think! I'm partial to #8 myself.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fantastic, Mr. Frank! :D

Glad it's working for you. Keep it up! And remember, when it starts to get hard to come up with new ideas...that's when your brain starts really working.

I remember one of my professors said something last quarter, and it really stuck with me: when you do thumbnails like this, or silhouettes, or whatever....you're getting rid of the obvious and "tired" design ideas first. At the end of it all, you may still think the 1st one you did is the best, or even the 5th one.....but the more you do, the more creative you're forced to be, to avoid repeating designs. Usually the first handful of iterations I do go pretty quickly - and they usually end up being the more obvious or cliche designs. When it starts getting difficult, I start coming up with things I wouldn't have thought of earlier....and to my own surprise, even if I liked the 3rd idea the best after doing 25 versions.....I might hit something really unique and cool and interesting on the 30th or 40th version, that I like MUCH more than that 3rd idea.

I'm really glad you're doing this! If you can, I'd suggest you do another dozen - or two, if you're feeling up to it - and see what you come up with.

I think #8 is cool - I like the torso-part a lot, and I like the shoulder-thing on #12.

(And just as a reminder - in a concept artists' portfolio, it's a really good idea to have some process work to show. I know a lot of companies that like to see your entire process, from start to finish....silhouettes/thumbnails/linework/values/color/color variations/etc, or however you tend to work. Showing them that you're doing 30+ thumbnails, and really pushing yourself and your ideas, is MUCH better than showing them 3 or so thumbnails, and then jumping straight to final.)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nightdragon,

Awesome. Pure awesomeness. It's amazing how many options of mixing and matching or variations are possible. I never realized that to this extent before trying.
    when you do thumbnails like this, or silhouettes, or whatever....you're getting rid of the obvious and "tired" design ideas first. At the end of it all, you may still think the 1st one you did is the best, or even the 5th one.....but the more you do, the more creative you're forced to be, to avoid repeating designs.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the great advice, please continue to help! I think I'm getting somewhere now.

Here are some more design iterations, which do you like the BEST?

PgTFM.png

F87 on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    number 15 seems very impractical :)
    Ha, but seriously my favorite one is probably either 29 or 9

worstcase on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah maybe impractical worstcase but boobies.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like 14 at gut-reaction, without any knowledge of who the character is supposed to be.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked 14 the best, too.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought 14 stood out the most. Especially the ass cape.
    That's acutally rather creative

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Awesome, thanks guys! :)

So, would it be a good idea to now take number 14 and do another 30 variations?

I guess I should refine who this character really, so I can make more intelligent design choices?

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nope on the 1st part, yes on the 2nd!

It'd probably be a good idea to blow the thumbnail up a bit, and go for a slightly higher-quality of finish...and do maybe 4-10 variations on her costume. You want to keep the general idea of her costume intact, when you're doing these next variations. Maybe do 4-8 head designs as well (could just be something as simple as different hair designs, which I noticed you dabbling in with the 30 thumbs...though you could also do variations of her face).

After you've done those, and have whatever #'s approved, you can start on your final artwerkz. (Just as a disclaimer, this exact process isn't necessarily what every company is going to ask you to do, and the numbers aren't necessarily the exact number of variations you'd be asked to do - I just figured I'd give you some step-by-step direction to slow you down a bit and help you out with your process work :P).

I'd suggest you post the linework before moving on to color, too...I guess if you're having *us* be the "approvers", it'd be good to show us that the linework is spot-on and there are no confusing bits, before you go into values or color+values, whichever you end up picking.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Got it! I'll get started.

I like having you guys as "approvers", thanks.

EDIT:

Alright, I'm cleaning up #14. The legs and hands need work still, but I'm done for today.

UPiLf.png

Couple things:
    1. Would her butt be hanging out the back? :P
    2. The metal skirt/flap would be too heavy without extra support, so maybe I should make it a leather type?

F87 on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well the bottom of her booty would be concealed, but unless the back of the skirt is attached to the back of her shirt then where it would be hanging it would probably be pretty uncomfortable and likely to fall off any time she moved her legs.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Her neck is very long! I'd personally find it more appealing if she did not have plumbers butt. Perhaps do a quick sketch of something that might work for the back of it?

Kochikens on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    there's nothing wrong with plumber's butt.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah god girls are so sexist.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Where else are you supposed to put your quarters? In your wallet? Ha!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys! I just made the shirt longer and added some hip suspenders for her armor skirt. Also, fixed the neck length.

I appreciate the feedback my friends! Now which of these 5 options appeals the most? The setting is somewhat medieval customs and futuristic tech. I'm still working that out.

KF0VH.png

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think I like #1 the most. I like that Star Wars-esque neck wrap.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really like #1 as well, here are some hair options. I'm ready to move on to a monster design, then I plan to make an illustration of this character vs. the monster.

Cpngd.png

Which is the best looking?

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    #4 looks the most elegant-yet-combat-ready.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I keep making all these variations for nothing! Are you sure #4? I like it as well, but also 1 and 2. Maybe 3. I can't decide!

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I honestly don't like any of those hair designs that much, they seem impractical/teenage girly?(#4 is probably the best though, it's the oldest looking one, and the most lady-samurai) Whereas from the neck down she could kick your ass. Maybe try something shorter? Am really liking this, the belts to hold up the skirt look great.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, Kochikenks. :)

Is #2 not short enough? I'm leaning towards it.

I think I see what you mean about teenage girly... not sure how to remedy this. Maybe take the hair clip/tie out?

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe she needs a bit of hair in her face. That could worsen the teenage-girly issue, though.

Mangoes on