As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game sales thread December: It's over, use the new thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    I really wish Uncharted 2 did better. A million's good, yeah, but that game deserves to be on the top 10 list.

It did really well for a PS3 exclusive.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jammu wrote: »
    What do people actually do with their bought ps3:s?

It sold marginally more than 360, but on game front it is far behind it according to that list.

Blu-rays?

People clearly aren't buying enough copies of Uncharted 2, but it's somewhat understandable since many PS3s were probably bundled with games like Ratchet & Clank, inFamous, and God of War.
    Eteric wrote: »
    And yet the Wii still can't get any third party support. Jesus Christ.

This is all the 3rd party support that it needs:

no_more_heroes_2_desperate_struggly_boxart_temp1.jpg

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll agree that PS3 software seems oddly low for as well as it's selling. Though the problem doesn't seem to be as bad as the PSP's software gap.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still need to get Bowser's Inside Story. I am quite surprised, like many, how well it is doing.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think the problem is necessarily third party support on wii, its wii owners not buying third party games. Where are the sales for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories? Or Rabbids Go Home? Both probably did pretty awful. The wii demographic has been extremely hard to pin down for third parties, at least from what I've seen.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty astounded at FF7 getting number 5 on the PSN amidst games and downloads developers actually had to do something on. And then FF8 being the top of December is also pretty awesome. They're making some good bucks on just letting Sony rip their game and put it up. It just makes me wonder why Square Enix and other developers aren't putting more up. I'm sure at least a profitable portion of those who bought FF7 and 8 may be interested in Xenogears or Chrono Cross or something. And I would have thought other companies would see that popularity and put up their own classic PS1 RPGs. Sony itself should really put up Legend of Dragoon.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dang. I wont be able to check the gaf thread for all the crow until later. I gotta get this wall painted.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »
    I don't think the problem is necessarily third party support on wii, its wii owners not buying third party games. Where are the sales for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories? Or Rabbids Go Home? Both probably did pretty awful. The wii demographic has been extremely hard to pin down for third parties, at least from what I've seen.

Who knows? Do you think those games would've sold much better in PS3/360?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is what I've got on Silent Hill, LTD as of Jan 09

Silent Hill 2 - 512k
    Silent Hill 3 - 279k
    Silent Hill 4 - 209k
    Silent Hill 5 - 73k (360), 84k (PS3)
    Silent Hill Origins: 80k (PS2), 154k (PSP)

Not a high bar. Series looks kinda dead.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm curious as to how Spirit Tracks did. I'm assuming it is barely out of the top 10.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    When do we get 11 - 20?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    When do we get 11 - 20?

Should be either Friday or Monday.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Nintendo owned December in every way. :mrgreen: Honestly, I'm really not surprised. Is anyone here truly surprised.

Do you play "I'll eat my cock if "?
    On occasion.
    Here's some advice, always bet on Nintendo.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So Nintendo owned December in every way. :mrgreen: Honestly, I'm really not surprised. Is anyone here truly surprised.

On occasion.

That "sound advice" only works in the current time frame.

Sheep on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    I really wish Uncharted 2 did better. A million's good, yeah, but that game deserves to be on the top 10 list.

It did really well for a PS3 exclusive.

Well I guess it's all we could hope for after that news about how Uncharted 2 wasn't selling after the first initial push.

How'd Brutal Legend do after the holidays? I know Tim Schafer wouldn't look until afterwards.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heh. Fairly good Wii sales numbers I suppose.

With sales dropping off from about 10 million a year to 9.5 million, it's probably a good time to trot out the WiiHD. With the high penetration of HD televisions and the consumer becoming more insatiable for HD content, the Wii's momentum has clearly ground to a halt. Consumers are looking at Wii games, and looking at their other HD content on their HD tv's and asking, "Why would I want this? I want HD content. I want a 360 or PS3." Furthermore, the price drops on the competition have truly shown that the consumer prefers the kind of hardware they're getting for their money with the 360 and especially the PS3. The consumer knows that with vastly superior hardware specs for the same or slightly more cash, they're getting a much better deal. And on that note, the increased sales of the PS3 have shown that, clearly, the sleeping giant of the PS2 install base has finally awoken and is now upgrading to the newest Playstation platform, the brand that last generation's 100+ million install base has grown entirely loyal to. Now is the time for Nintendo start sweating. They can't rest on their laurels any more. SD resolutions are on the way out and the sales numbers prove it. They may have squeaked by this holiday season, and indeed 2009 in general, but it's clearly time for Nintendo to launch an advanced iteration of their system to appeal to the majority of the market where they can get back to reaching truly impressive sales again.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

With sales dropping off from about 10 million a year to 9.5 million, it's probably a good time to trot out the WiiHD. With the high penetration of HD televisions and the consumer becoming more insatiable for HD content, the Wii's momentum has clearly ground to a halt. Consumers are looking at Wii games, and looking at their other HD content on their HD tv's and asking, "Why would I want this? I want HD content. I want a 360 or PS3." Furthermore, the price drops on the competition have truly shown that the consumer prefers the kind of hardware they're getting for their money with the 360 and especially the PS3. The consumer knows that with vastly superior hardware specs for the same or slightly more cash, they're getting a much better deal. And on that note, the increased sales of the PS3 have shown that, clearly, the sleeping giant of the PS2 install base has finally awoken and is now upgrading to the newest Playstation platform, the brand that last generation's 100+ million install base has grown entirely loyal to. Now is the time for Nintendo start sweating. They can't rest on their laurels any more. SD resolutions are on the way out and the sales numbers prove it. They may have squeaked by this holiday season, and indeed 2009 in general, but it's clearly time for Nintendo to launch an advanced iteration of their system to appeal to the majority of the market where they can get back to reaching truly impressive sales again.
    579606-slowpoke_large.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not so fast. These things peak early. PS2 peaked in 2002, the same year it set the now broken December record and the year it dropped to $199. It declined every year since then. The key is to keep the decline nice and slow.

You're joking, arent you

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not so fast. These things peak early. PS2 peaked in 2002, the same year it set the now broken December record and the year it dropped to $199. It declined every year since then. The key is to keep the decline nice and slow.

You're joking, arent you

I'm kidding of course. I'm rephrasing everything that was said by analysts and newsblogs pretty much throughout 2009.

I will say that this is probably the highest sales that the Wii will get during this generation for a single month. I can't imagine they'll get any higher than this for a single month.

Sales will slow down, like they have the past year. But it's no big deal. This is normal in the generation.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/01/npd-2009-video-game-sales.html
    December capped a stomach-churning year for the game industry, with eight declining months out of 12. The genre that took the biggest hit last year was music and dancing games, which plunged 46% as players turned away from games with expensive peripherals.

Not even The Beatles: Rock Band, which was unveiled last year with great fanfare, could go against the economic tide. The title sold just $75 million last year, said Michael Pachter, analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities. Combined with $149 million from Activision's Guitar Hero franchise, the total sales of $224 million is less than half the amount Rock Band and Guitar Hero made in 2008.

"Thank God this is behind us," Pachter said. "The momentum is moving in the right direction, particularly as we lap miserable music sales."

To see the top-selling games for December, click on the continue reading link below.

Top 10 console games in the U.S. in December 2009

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2.84 million units sold)
    2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2.75 million)
    3. Wii Fit Plus (2.4 million)
    4. Wii Sports Resort (1.8 million)
    5. Madden NFL 10 (1.5 million)
    6. Assassin's Creed II (1.2 million)
    7. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (1 million)
    8. Wii Play (1 million)
    9. Mario Kart (936,730)
    10. Left 4 Dead 2 (728,491)
    You can use this to get the AC PS3 sales. It is about 417k.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

On occasion.

And the past couple of years. :P

I'm willing to bet, not my cock, that NSMB Wii will be top ten next december. With MK Wii in the top 20.

Edit - No Passenger 57 love?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »

Who knows? Do you think those games would've sold much better in PS3/360?

If they sold better, it would likely not be by much.

Hell I would have bought SH if it wasn't only 5 hours long. :(

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

You troll you. :mrgreen:

But seriously, I love the 20/20 those clowns have to swallow.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nintendo is the hardest game in town to guess. Is it possible that they will get antsy and jump in with a DSi analogous WiiHD that upscales all Wii games but plays WiiHD games which will come at some later point. If they are following the DSi model, building an install base AHEAD of new software might just tempt them to do it.

I'd rather not, but who knows.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So the PC Retail sales don't include digital distribution though, right? RIGHT?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Digital retail is a phrase that makes no sense.
    Nintendo Press release.

NINTENDO FINISHES 2009 WITH MULTIPLE SALES RECORDS

Wii Has the Best Month in Video Game History, Nintendo DS Has the Best Calendar Year of All Time

Jan. 14, 2010

A holiday shopping frenzy helped both of Nintendo's video game systems make history: Nintendo's Wii™ home system sold more than 3.8 million units in December, a new all-time single-month U.S. sales record. The Nintendo DS™ Lite and Nintendo DSi™ hand-held systems combined to sell more than 3.3 million, the second biggest month in U.S. history.

Those strong December numbers helped propel the Nintendo DS franchise to more than 11.2 million sold in 2009, a new U.S. calendar-year sales record for any video game system – ever. The Wii console finished 2009 with 9.6 million sold. Of all the Wii consoles ever sold in the United States since its November 2006 launch, nearly one-fifth (18.7 percent) were sold during November and December 2009.

"Wii, Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi combined to sell more than 7 million units in the month of December alone," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Clearly there is overwhelming consumer demand for fun games, motion controls and value. This remarkable hardware sales surge presents a tremendous software opportunity for Nintendo and its third-party partners as we head into 2010."

Lifetime U.S. sales for Wii have now surpassed 27.2 million units. No other home console has ever sold so many so quickly. Lifetime U.S. sales for the Nintendo DS franchise have topped 38.8 million units, surpassing lifetime sales of the Game Boy™ Advance franchise.

As always, great software drives hardware sales. In December alone, consumers placed six Nintendo games in the top 10 best-sellers of the month. These include New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 1 with more than 2.8 million sold, Wii Sports Resort™ at No. 2 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 3 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Play™ at No. 6 with more than 1.0 million sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 7 with more than 936,000 sold and Mario & Luigi™: Bowser's Inside Story for Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi at No. 10 with more than 656,000 sold.

For all of 2009, Nintendo finished with seven of the top 10 best-selling games of the year. These include New Super Mario Bros. Wii at No. 2 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Sports Resort at No. 3 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Fit™ at No. 4 with more than 3.5 million sold, Mario Kart Wii at No. 5 with nearly 3.1 million sold, Wii Play at No. 6 with more than 3.1 million sold, Wii Fit Plus™ at No. 8 with more than 2.4 million sold and Pokémon™ Platinum Version at No. 10 with more than 2.0 million sold.

All numbers contained in this document are according to the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.nintendo.com.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I really want to know the PSPGo numbers instead of just the total PSP sales.

That guy that was practically licking his system in this thread bought two of those to spite us.

Rainbowdespair? No, he's so hardcore he downloaded his second PSP Go.

Made me laugh. :)

My guess is about 30-40% of the total PSP sales are versions of the PSP Go based upon how it's been doing on Amazon (currently #8 & #10 on the PSP overall rankings, higher than any one hardware package except for the PSP-3000 Core pack @ #2).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

On occasion.

The only sound advice is not bet that you'll eat your cock. That simple.

I actually contributed to Uncharted 2's sales recently, though I'm not entirely sure if I made the right decision (so far the game has been fun when I play it, but not quite as engrossing as I thought? Maybe the hype went a bit too far for me?).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Overall, NPD reported that retail PC game revenues dropped 23 percent in 2009 from their 2008 totals. Michael Gallagher, the president of the Entertainment Software Assocation, countered that 2009 was the highest grossing sales year ever on record for the games industry.

That's just the PC retail sales, right? Or has their DD trackers started yet, though I don't know how useful it'd be anyway without tracking steam, since even their rivals agree that they have the lion's share of the DD market.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2010m1d14-Aaron-Greenberg-responds-to-December-NPD-results
    Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg has posted a response to the recently released December 2009 NPD sales results. He stated that the Xbox 360 had a great year in 2009 with it outselling the Playstation 3 in addition to leading third-party software sales and software attach ratio (a record 8.8). The Xbox 360 generated $4.8 billion in total consumer spending (hardware, software and accessories sales combined). Here is his full statement on his personal Twitter page:
    NPD shows great 2009 results for #Xbox360 $4.8B in consumer spend, outsold the PS3, led in 3rd party SW & record 8.8 SW attach

Couscous on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Overall, NPD reported that retail PC game revenues dropped 23 percent in 2009 from their 2008 totals. Michael Gallagher, the president of the Entertainment Software Assocation, countered that 2009 was the highest grossing sales year ever on record for the games industry.

That's just the PC retail sales, right? Or has their DD trackers started yet, though I don't know how useful it'd be anyway without tracking steam, since even their rivals agree that they have the lion's share of the DD market.

Valve, to my knowledge, doesn't share it its records of sales (with the exception of their own sporadic press announcements). But I might have just missed them?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2010m1d14-Aaron-Greenberg-responds-to-December-NPD-results
    Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg has posted a response to the recently released December 2009 NPD sales results. He stated that the Xbox 360 had a great year in 2009 with it outselling the Playstation 3 in addition to leading third-party software sales and software attach ratio (a record 8.8). The Xbox 360 generated $4.8 billion in total consumer spending (hardware, software and accessories sales combined). Here is his full statement on his personal Twitter page:
    NPD shows great 2009 results for #Xbox360 $4.8B in consumer spend, outsold the PS3, led in 3rd party SW & record 8.8 SW attach

That's a bit of a low key statement, isn't it. 360 had a damn good year, but that statement is a little, deflated.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I almost get the impression that Nintendo doesn't care about 3rd party games anymore. They make the most money from their 1st party games, those are the brands that people buy a Nintendo system for, and they're no longer afraid to release relatively straightforward games.

I mean in the N64 era we really had pretty paltry "typical Nintendo" games, at least if my memory is correct. The big ones were Mario and Zelda. Now instead of trying to reinvent all of their games, they're going back to more traditional formats and tinkering with the formula.

NSMB Wii is hardly revolutionary, but it's fun and done well. People who have played Mario games in the past are eating it up, and there's generally a lack of good 2D platformers on the market now anyway. Seems like they read the market and supplied something that was in high demand. I kind of wonder if Nintendo has somewhat given up on trying to be revolutionary in their game design and are instead just trying to make their games really fun, ignoring critics or trade show commentary.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/beatles-rock-band-fails-to-make-much-noise-over-holidays.html
    The costly music game (The Beatles-couscous)sold 357,000 units in the U.S. in December, bringing its total since launching Sept. 9 of last year to 1.18 million, according to new data from the NPD Group.
    The Beatles: Rock Band was far from the only music video game to experience disappointing sales last year. Activision's Guitar Hero 5 sold only 996,000 units. By contrast, 2008's Guitar Hero: World Tour sold 3.4 million.

Couscous on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm thinking that The Beatles is pretty much a bomb a 1M sales in the US. UK sales were also not so hot. Doubt it did much outside those two countries.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Green Day Rockband is going to bomb so hard. I'll probably still buy it, but if it goes higher than 500k (across all 3 platforms), I'd be shocked.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mario Kart Wii now over 2.5 million above Mario Kart DS, which in and of itself is significantly above all other installments of Mario Kart. Mario Kart Wii ties San Andreas PS2. Mario Kart Wii is now behind only Wii Play and (Wii Fit + Wii Fit Plus) in the all-time game rankings.

Remember the glory days where every major company had a Kart clone?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm thinking that The Beatles is pretty much a bomb a 1M sales in the US. UK sales were also not so hot. Doubt it did much outside those two countries.

Never thought a million sales would be a bad thing.

This is like the only market that can happen in, right?

If you have a million seller book you're on top of the world!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Never thought a million sales would be a bad thing.

This is like the only market that can happen in, right?

If you have a million seller book you're on top of the world!
    Movies.

I remember Eidos talking about Tomb Raider's sales were below expectations when it sold over two million world wide.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Same deal with Max Payne 2. Considered a failure despite having sold over 2 million.

slash000 on