As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Travel advice: Seattle fun stuff and Disposable Cell Phones

SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' CanuckRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my folks live in Bellingham, WA and my husband and I are flying out there in February to go to the Olympics and do some touristy stuff. We're super excited about the Olympics, but we'd also like to visit Seattle. I hear Seattle is a great place for nerds like us, so I was looking for suggestions on where to go during a day trip there. Any neighbourhoods with a good concentration of geeky stuff (game stores, funky book stores, comic stores, arcades, etc.)? Specific stores that might be fun for us to visit? Really awesome restaurants within spitting distance of aforementioned game stores?

Also, we don't have our own cell phones, but it'd probably be nice to have a temporary one for the trip. We're Canadian and there is no way in hell we're paying Canadian prices for a temporary cell, and the world of cell phones is a mystery to me. Here's what we're doing: we're driving from Toronto to Buffalo to fly from Buffalo-Seattle. It'd be great to be able to pick up a phone in Buffalo and be able to use it there as well as in Washington without paying ridiculous roaming charges... is that realistic for temporary/disposable cell phones? Are there any companies that let you essentially "rent" a phone so that we can be at least marginally ecological and know that the phone doesn't exist just for our trip? Help!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
SwashbucklerXX on

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    one of my favorite resteraunts is shultzy's sausage, which just happens to be a few blocks down from the dreaming games and comics, which is run by maybe the nicest and most helpful man alive, so i like to try to point business his way.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pink Godzilla, it's in the International District. Map

skettios on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    Pink Godzilla, it's in the International District. Map

they actually just opened one of those in the u-district as well, between the two stores i already mentioned.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So my folks live in Bellingham, WA and my husband and I are flying out there in February to go to the Olympics and do some touristy stuff. We're super excited about the Olympics, but we'd also like to visit Seattle. I hear Seattle is a great place for nerds like us, so I was looking for suggestions on where to go during a day trip there. Any neighbourhoods with a good concentration of geeky stuff (game stores, funky book stores, comic stores, arcades, etc.)? Specific stores that might be fun for us to visit? Really awesome restaurants within spitting distance of aforementioned game stores?

Also, we don't have our own cell phones, but it'd probably be nice to have a temporary one for the trip. We're Canadian and there is no way in hell we're paying Canadian prices for a temporary cell, and the world of cell phones is a mystery to me. Here's what we're doing: we're driving from Toronto to Buffalo to fly from Buffalo-Seattle. It'd be great to be able to pick up a phone in Buffalo and be able to use it there as well as in Washington without paying ridiculous roaming charges... is that realistic for temporary/disposable cell phones? Are there any companies that let you essentially "rent" a phone so that we can be at least marginally ecological and know that the phone doesn't exist just for our trip? Help!

Who's your provider?
    A GSM phone is easy to come by, easier to unlock, and easiest and cheapest to drop a AT&T SIM card in and get good service for super cheap.

Also, funny, I'm pretty much exactly switching places with you for that two weeks. I'm going to Windsor, woo!

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you want something nerdy and fun the Fremont Troll is a neat sight. And you can climb on it!

Quid on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    buy a tracfone and some minutes... they're usually stocked in any Target/Walmart, etc. but if you want to get one ahead of time try Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/TracFone-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-Black-2fSilver/dp/B00280ISZO

the cheapest phone is around $15 but sometimes you can get an even cheaper refurbished one.

illig on