As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - BYOC REG LIVE

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I already plan on taking the seat that only I know the location of :p

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This was such a wonderful excuse to buy a new computer :)

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah (and to macrogeek), I tried the "PAX excuse" to get a new laptop...didn't fly with the wife. Her response was "something something new baby something something". Whatever. Turns out asking, and getting DENIED, has set myself up for a new laptop for PAX East 2011.

PAX East 2010, I think, will be my HP nc8430's swan song.
    This was such a wonderful excuse to buy a new computer :)

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, seat reserved! It's close enough that I can bring my slightly less clunky desktop computer, and maybe actually get some real gaming in as a result! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    PhloxyPhloxy Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Hey If I just wanted to play in the pc tournaments I don't need to register for BYOC right? The BYOC registration just lets me bring a computer and get a swag bag right?

Phloxy on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phloxy wrote: »
    Hey If I just wanted to play in the pc tournaments I don't need to register for BYOC right? The BYOC registration just lets me bring a computer and get a swag bag right?

The PC tournaments on the PAX schedule you dont need a BYOC seat for no.

Although the BYOC room has its own tournaments and contests for additional prizes from the PC room sponsors. Plus you get a swag bag (from nvidia/intel, which will be worth it) IN ADDITION to the attendee swag bag.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    HootoramaHootorama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For those of you looking for a great deal on a laptop lock (recommended you have one for BYOC if you are going to be bringing a laptop), EBay is selling them for less than $5 a piece with free shipping. An actual vendor selling through E-Bay and not some random Joe Shmoe, so you're guaranteed delivery. Just FYI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300403185324

Hootorama on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So tomorrow I'll be driving by the Long Island Microcenter. Will I be able to resist buying a new mATX build? Will I convince myself it's a better idea to just buy an additional 1366 mATX motherboard for travel? Will I just end up buying new parts for my existing rig?

Time will tell :P

Axon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Packing up my supplies for contests im going to be running for BYOC..

YOU GUYS SHOULD BE SUPER EXCITED
    ALSO BECAUSE PC ROOM HAS AWESOME SPONSORS AND PRIZES
    WHOEVER DOESN'T DO BYOC IS SILLY

imo

BigRed on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    THE EXCITEMENT IS SOO LARGE! MY PANTS ARE ON THE GROUND!
    Also.. really? 8 or 9 AM?! That's like 3 or 4 hours of waiting... is get-in-line doing the BYOC? Is the line in the same room as the queue? Or will the line extent all the way from the 3rd floor, into the elevators, and out the door? Is the barrier a rope barrier, a folding door style barrier, or a massive steel blockade designed to keep out those invaders from freeplay?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    An ELECTRIFIED Massive steel blockade with razor wire, guard dogs, guard patrols, and sniper posts*

*May or may not be true.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    An ELECTRIFIED Massive steel blockade with razor wire, guard dogs, guard patrols, and sniper posts*

*May or may not be true.

AND LAZORZ?!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

*May or may not be true.

AND LAZORZ?!

I would assume.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

*May or may not be true.

AND LAZORZ?!

Let's be realistic.

Rdr on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

*May or may not be true.

AND LAZORZ?!

Let's be realistic.

What?!? What kind of 2-bit, podunk operation doesn't include security with a moat filled with frikkin' sharks with frikkin' laserbeams shooting from their heads?!?

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

*May or may not be true.

AND LAZORZ?!

Let's be realistic.

What?!? What kind of 2-bit, podunk operation doesn't include security with a moat filled with frikkin' sharks with frikkin' laserbeams shooting from their heads?!?

A crappy one, I want a BYOC refund!

Knoland on
  • Options
    lannaleelannalee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why does seating make such a difference? I don't think I care where in the room we sit. I am coming with my husband and I was just hoping we could sit next to each other.

lannalee on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text

~LannaLee~
    http://lannaleemaheux.com/
    http://lexandlanna.com/

I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper.
    Steve Martin
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    lannalee wrote: »
    Why does seating make such a difference? I don't think I care where in the room we sit. I am coming with my husband and I was just hoping we could sit next to each other.

Some people have very large groups of friends coming so we offer an option to reserve a block of seats. Its not so critical at the start of PAX but as things fill up such a large number of seats so close together will be harder to find.

Option is there for large groups that want to use it, as a group of 2 you wont have any issue finding 2 seats together.

BigRed on
  • Options
    lannaleelannalee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lannalee wrote: »

Some people have very large groups of friends coming so we offer an option to reserve a block of seats. Its not so critical at the start of PAX but as things fill up such a large number of seats so close together will be harder to find.

Option is there for large groups that want to use it, as a group of 2 you wont have any issue finding 2 seats together.

Thanks for the intel. Good to know. We plan on being there early anyway, but since we're coming from Maine, I'd rather sleep in a bit.

lannalee on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text

~LannaLee~
    http://lannaleemaheux.com/
    http://lexandlanna.com/

I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper.
    Steve Martin
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Another advantage to the group seating is im going to be seating the groups first. mostly so nobody else sits in their seats.

Its just easier for me to keep a few sections clear for the groups that show up late rather than all of them while theres the mass of people filing into the BYOC room.

BigRed on
  • Options
    H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well im in, took a lot of IRC convincing but i'll be there.

H2O Shoagie on
  • Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ok i KNOW i saw a tournament list somewhere on geforcelan.com a few days ago when i registered.

it had Team Fortress 2 on Saturday from like 12-4, and Left 4 Dead 2 from 3-7

I cant find this schedule anywhere now. I saw on paxsite.com that they have TF2 from 6-12 on friday, and L4D2 on saturday from 6-12.. but thats not the byoc lan.

Does that mean both PAX and the geforcelan are hosting tournaments for both of those games... 2 tournaments for each game?

<-- excited

thr4sher on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No they arent, the tournaments should be on this schedule:
    http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/schedule.php

All the official tournaments are played on the tournament machines.
    There are BYOC only tournaments/contests, but they wont be the same games.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BR - If we are in BYOC, does that mean we can't join the larger public tournament games? For instance, If I wanted to sit at my laptop and kick some L4D2 ass from 6pm-12am, can I? Or would I have to head to the public room to do that?

No they arent, the tournaments should be on this schedule:
    http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/schedule.php

All the official tournaments are played on the tournament machines.
    There are BYOC only tournaments/contests, but they wont be the same games.

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can play in the regular tournaments, but all matches are done on the tournament machines.

If you mean the regular public games that are played on freeplay, BYOC is on the same network so you can play against freeplay people.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm confused. So on Saturday night when the L4D2 "PC Tourney" is on from 6-12, I can or can't participate from the BYOC room?

I've never been to a large LAN thing, let alone PAX, so I have no idea how it works. If tons of people are going to be playing L4D2 from 6-12 I'd like to join in, but I'd rather stay in the BYOC room since I have fear of crowds.

You can play in the regular tournaments, but all matches are done on the tournament machines.

If you mean the regular public games that are played on freeplay, BYOC is on the same network so you can play against freeplay people.

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its a PC tournament.... you can only play in that tournament if you enter. If you enter in the tournament you have to play on the tournament machines.

You can play l4d2 anytime you want in byoc, you dont have to enter the tournament to do so.

BigRed on
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To reiterate:
    If you want to play in the official tournaments, you can't use your own machine, no matter where it is. You have to use the designated machines provided by the convention.
    If you want to play any game with the free play guys, you should be able to do so from your own comp in BYOC.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah got it, thanks guys.

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How early do you suggest we show up if we get group seating? I just realized my friends and I are enough people to ask to be grouped together, but we're not sure how early we should show up.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    How early do you suggest we show up if we get group seating? I just realized my friends and I are enough people to ask to be grouped together, but we're not sure how early we should show up.

Id suggest 11. Will give you enough time to get your BYOC badge and then stand in line for a little bit. Before we start letting everyone in ill walk the line and call out anybody who had group seating and then let you check-in and sit down in your reserved section first.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So what do we need to bring to get out badges? I never got a confirmation email, but my name is on the list.

Knoland on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    an email will be going out that has a barcode on it that you need to print out.

There will be a table you line up at *BEFORE* you get in line to wait for byoc to open where you will be given an Orange BYOC badge.

We will have a big sign :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    an email will be going out that has a barcode on it that you need to print out.

There will be a table you line up at *BEFORE* you get in line to wait for byoc to open where you will be given an Orange BYOC badge.

We will have a big sign :)

A line to get into a line.. fun! Is the BYOC badge the same size as the PAX Badge? Do I smell 2 free lanyards?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes its the same size as the pax badge. Dont know why you would want 2 lanyards.

BigRed on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yes its the same size as the pax badge. Dont know why you would want 2 lanyards.

Psh, Cool people will have Chain Maile lanyards.

Just saying.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well.. if you get two different types and you would be able to... nvm

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    you just put it on the same one, put them back to back.

that way its east to show one or the other when you go through byoc or a convention checkpoint.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Question... When will that email with a list of the byoc tournaments be
    going out? I know some will be secret as bigred said, but I just wanna know what tournamets will be in the byoc area so that I can install any games I have that are on the list that I might not have installed at the moment.

thr4sher on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also... A suggestion... If it isn't too late to plan for it, maybe we could have so e sort of retro pc game tournaments. Quake1 & 2, hexen, redneck rampage, the original c&c red alert, blood... Stuff like that, games that nobody really plays anymore. Could be fun.

thr4sher on
This discussion has been closed.