As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - BYOC REG LIVE

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    heheheh
    Oh there will be at least one retro game contest that I am doing for BYOC.

You are welcome to try and get some other people into a game though, doesn't have to be a tournament to do so.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just tell what games I should install. Any tournament/contest at the byoc I'll play in as long as I have the game :)

thr4sher on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh, had another idea for a good game to check out... something a bit more obscure.

urban terror... its kinda like counter-strike, but less... umm... counter-strikey?

Its an older game, totally free and only around 700 megs. Here is a link to the download page for the game.

http://www.urbanterror.info/docs/texts/110/

There is also Enemy Territory Fortress (ETF), which is a mod for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which is another freeware game. ETF is based on the original Team Fortress game (the quake mod). If you ever played Quake Team Fortress, Quake 3 Fortress, or Team Fortress Classic you will feel at home with ETF.

I have all the files for this game on a flash drive.

I know i have had quite a few suggestions for little byoc tournaments, but these are two that I think would be really fun... games i havent played in ages. I also honestly think it would be fun to see people compete in older games since they wont be used to playing them... that way its kind of an even playing field. Any chance for having a tournament for these games?

thr4sher on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Any chance for having a tournament for these games?

Since we are 2 weeks out... probably not :P Nearly everything has been finalized for a quite a while.

You are welcome to try and drum up support in the BYOC room to get people to play them though.

BigRed on
  • Options
    Carl_CalienteCarl_Caliente Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    thr4sher wrote: »

There is also Enemy Territory Fortress (ETF), which is a mod for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which is another freeware game. ETF is based on the original Team Fortress game (the quake mod). If you ever played Quake Team Fortress, Quake 3 Fortress, or Team Fortress Classic you will feel at home with ETF.

I have all the files for this game on a flash drive.

I know i have had quite a few suggestions for little byoc tournaments, but these are two that I think would be really fun... games i havent played in ages. I also honestly think it would be fun to see people compete in older games since they wont be used to playing them... that way its kind of an even playing field. Any chance for having a tournament for these games?

I'm a huge WolfET fan, I'd give that mod a try (dunno how I've missed that all these years)

edit: oh shit its thrasher

Carl_Caliente on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Grabbing urban terror now, this sounds like fun!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ETF is indeed VERY FUN.

edit: oh shit, its carl! (hehe)

and hopefully more people grab urban terror before the lan, its a fun game, maybe we could organize our own little tournament for it :)

thr4sher on
  • Options
    GannoGanno Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey Red. Thanks for all the knowledge so far..you rock. A humble request: since this thread seems to be centered on logistics, etc., can we (you :)) start another one where we can say who we are, what we'll have installed, and what we like to play, etc.? Can I do that? The admins seem kind of intense on this board and I wish not to displease them by breaking some rule.

16 days...woohoo!

(ed.) 14 days..woohoo!

I am so smart. S-M-R-T I mean S-M-A-R-T.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ganno wrote: »
    Hey Red. Thanks for all the knowledge so far..you rock. A humble request: since this thread seems to be centered on logistics, etc., can we (you :)) start another one where we can say who we are, what we'll have installed, and what we like to play, etc.? Can I do that? The admins seem kind of intense on this board and I wish not to displease them by breaking some rule.

16 days...woohoo!

14 days actually.

This sounds like a good idea, that way we could find out what games to install.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Counting is hard. I need to lie down.

What the hey, I'll start it. Tomorrow morning though. Like I said, I'm tired. And gf just got home from long trip so need to sign off for tonight. See you all soon.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • Options
    Zer078Zer078 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    heheheh
    Oh there will be at least one retro game contest that I am doing for BYOC.

You are welcome to try and get some other people into a game though, doesn't have to be a tournament to do so.

i hope this retro game doesnt mean we need to pull out the old novel ipx

Zer078 on
    PAX EAST: 3 day pass
    Pc gamer for life
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ganno had the idea to have a thread where people who where doing BYOC could post what games they have, organize competitions, and other BYOC related stuff.
    The idea is to find out what games other people have so people know what games to install.

My Games
    • Team Fortress Classic
    • Team Fortress 2
    • Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
    • Quake III Arena
    • Counter Strike
    • Counter Strike: Source
    • Day of Defeat
    • Day of Defeat: Source
    • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    • Battlefield 2
    • Call of Duty
    • Call of Duty 2
    • Call of Duty 4
    • Demigod
    • League of Ledgends
    • R.U.S.E. Beta
    • Shattered Horrizon
    • Starcraft II Beta
    • Tribes 2
    • Zombie Panic! Source
    • Warcraft III

XFire: sev9780
    Steam: -¤lζ¤- Spider {SGD}

Knoland on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I'll do it, here are my games:
    TF2
    SC
    Battlefield 2
    L4D
    L4D2
    CoH
    Counter Strike
    Half-life 2
    Urban Terror (hopefully)
    R.U.S.E. Beta
    DoW
    DoW 2

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    NatterZaneNatterZane Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I am looking for the person who is building the intranet site for the BYOC section. Is there even anyone doing it? Snax thought that a guy named "Noxin" was doing it. I am interested in running a Joomla page. pm me if you know. Thanks. :)

NatterZane on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, so I didn't quite follow through on my make a new thread in the morning plan. Here is probably better anyways.

My info:
    Name: Brian G.

Computer name: Superbad

Favorite genres: FPS, RTS

Favorite game right now: Dawn of War II

Favorite multiplayer game of all time: Counterstrike

Games I'll have installed:

Dawn of War II
    Team Fortress 2 (although I've never played it lol)
    Warcraft III: TFT
    Starcraft
    Empire: Total War
    Company of Heroes
    Counter Strike: Source
    Call of Duty 2
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Age of Empires III
    Red Alert 3
    Command and Conquer 3
    Battlefield 2
    Considering buying L4D2. Should I?

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hrm, I have so many, only going to list MP games
    FSX
    ARMA
    ARMA II
    Total War series: Napoleon, Empire, and Medieval II (All current DLC for all)
    HoI 3
    Dangerous Waters :winky:
    DiRT
    RACE 07/ GTR Evo/STCC/Race On
    TF2
    Rainbow Six 3 (Incl Athena Sword)
    MLB 2K10
    rFactor
    Delta Force Xtreme 2
    Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (HSFX mod, I can only do 4.09m patch)
    HL1 DM:S
    HL2 DM
    Garry's Mod 10
    Combat Flight Sim 3
    OFP:CWC
    OFP:R
    Urban Terror
    GoldEye:Source Beta 4

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Starcraft
    League of Legends
    Heroes of Norrath
    TF2
    Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
    Countless Emu's

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Game collection

yea lets not list all of the pc games i have

Zer078 on
    Pc gamer for life
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here are some of my multiplayer games:

Oh, and if you still happen to use xFire my name on there is: Deadheadz
    and if you want to add me on Steam, my name is: Deadheads
    Counter-Strike
    Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Day of Defeat
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Half-Life: Deathmatch
    Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    Left 4 Dead
    R.U.S.E. Beta
    The Ship
    Team Fortress 2
    Team Fortress
    Warcraft 3
    Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne
    Starcraft
    Starcraft Brood Wars
    Daiblo 2
    Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
    Halo 2
    Goldeneye: Source Beta:4

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're planning on bringing in a freeware game or mod, you may want to make some install discs or bring it on a USB drive to share around. (obviously only do this for freeware)

macrogeek on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »
    If you're planning on bringing in a freeware game or mod, you may want to make some install discs or bring it on a USB drive to share around. (obviously only do this for freeware)

THIS

Im always down for trying any new games, however with the internet at pax being bogged down I second the fact that making install disks and USB's as a fantastic Idea. I'm bringing my League of Legends Install Disk, and will have a thumbdrive on hand for smaller games.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'd hate to see a bunch of folks trying to download L4D2 or something big like that on Steam and using up all their bandwidth quota or bogging things down for everyone. Games like that are simple to move from a hard drive and authorize using your Steam credentials.

I backed up my whole Steam directory to a USB HDD in case I need to do an emergency reinstall on the PAX rig. For the stuff that isn't Steam authorized, I'll just have to bring a CD wallet.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure if it says in the OP this time, but people said last time to make sure all games you want (especially off steam) are downloaded and installed before you get there.

Asiina on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Too lazy to type out all the game I have,

http://steamcommunity.com/id/GentlemanneOL/games?tab=all

Is the Full list. All are installed.

In regards to mods and other game, I think it would be great if we could get some GoldenEye Source going, and a round or two of Worms Armageddon/World Party are always good fun.

Gentlemanne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In regards to mods and other game, I think it would be great if we could get some GoldenEye Source going, and a round or two of Worms Armageddon/World Party are always good fun.

I'm so mad, I pulled out my Worms Armageddon disc a few weeks ago, and it's got some kind of haze inside the disk...probably the dvd layers separating or something. Arrg.

So, I'm on the fence. My friends from work are all heavy into COD: MW2, and want me to pick that up. I was leaning towards Borderlands. Which do you think will be more popular at the BYOC?

macrogeek on
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »

I'm so mad, I pulled out my Worms Armageddon disc a few weeks ago, and it's got some kind of haze inside the disk...probably the dvd layers separating or something. Arrg.

So, I'm on the fence. My friends from work are all heavy into COD: MW2, and want me to pick that up. I was leaning towards Borderlands. Which do you think will be more popular at the BYOC?

Probably, MW, but I enjoy playing Borderlands and it's DLC on my 360 more then MW2.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hard to say but I think MW2 will be most popular macrogeek. But I'm sure borderlands will be very easy to find partners in.

I'm bringing 2 of my video game case mod's so come take a look at it if you see it in the byoc area!

This is one of them, The Black Mage
    CIMG5304-1.jpg
    comparison-1.jpg

video link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUVgK65FIA

I'm still finishing the other one up atm though...

thorkon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thats fucking hot.

BigRed on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Excuse me. I need to change my panties after looking at that insane case mod!

Well done, thorkon!

Rdr on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dude! That black mage is awesome. I wish I had skills in that area...art and design might as well be an alien language, I'm so bad at them.

I just cracked and built an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE mATX rig for the BYOC. It's in the spoiler text. Check it out, but be warned - 56k need not apply. More to come when the case comes in...

So I’ve been assembling some parts for my first current AMD/mATX build. I don’t yet have my mATX case, but I couldn’t wait to see if I had unlockable cores or how high I could take my chip on stock cooling. Ultimately, it was a fun build.

Begin, as always, at the beginning – main components! Boxed Motherboard and AMD 555 Phenom II X2 BE CPU, fresh from a Microcenter combo.

Picture023.jpg

GSkill “Trident” DDR3 1333 RAM. Cannibalized from another comp, but really some of the most dependable RAM I’ve worked with of late.

Picture036.jpg

Motherboard in her birthday suit :P . Love that Blue PCB.

Picture040.jpg

Couldn’t get a clear shot of the CPU with the bright overhead lighting and my crappy Iphone Camera.

Picture083.jpg

These two are ready to go. Special thanks to my nail trimmer for photo bombing me here.

Picture021.jpg

She's in!

Picture014.jpg

Looking good. I was very impressed by the AM3 stock cooler, but more on that later.

Picture019.jpg

I had a burrito for lunch. Was delicious. Just thought I’d let you know. ;)

Picture024.jpg

Test system assembled! Running with an Intel SSD X25-V and my regular Silverstone PSU, not pictured.

Picture109.jpg

ROFL. Like my cabling skills?

Picture041.jpg

I was ready to dominate and unlock some cores, but failed. The cores actually did unlock with the machine posting to BIOS as an X4 955, but it would not load windows no matter what I threw at it. So I got emo and didn’t take any more BIOS pics :P

Picture015.jpg

Still, I would not end up entirely disappointed, as I was able to run the system stable at 3.8 ghz without doing much to the voltage (1.425v). Not bad for stock cooling! I was able to POST at 4.0 ghz, but couldn’t get it stable. I left the validation link at home, unless one of you guys knows how to search a database for one? I don’t think I uploaded it…

Axon on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Axon wrote: »
    Dude! That black mage is awesome. I wish I had skills in that area...art and design might as well be an alien language, I'm so bad at them.

I just cracked and built an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE mATX rig for the BYOC. It's in the spoiler text. Check it out, but be warned - 56k need not apply. More to come when the case comes in...

So I’ve been assembling some parts for my first current AMD/mATX build. I don’t yet have my mATX case, but I couldn’t wait to see if I had unlockable cores or how high I could take my chip on stock cooling. Ultimately, it was a fun build.

Begin, as always, at the beginning – main components! Boxed Motherboard and AMD 555 Phenom II X2 BE CPU, fresh from a Microcenter combo.

Picture023.jpg

GSkill “Trident” DDR3 1333 RAM. Cannibalized from another comp, but really some of the most dependable RAM I’ve worked with of late.

Picture036.jpg

Motherboard in her birthday suit :P . Love that Blue PCB.

Picture040.jpg

Couldn’t get a clear shot of the CPU with the bright overhead lighting and my crappy Iphone Camera.

Picture083.jpg

These two are ready to go. Special thanks to my nail trimmer for photo bombing me here.

Picture021.jpg

She's in!

Picture014.jpg

Looking good. I was very impressed by the AM3 stock cooler, but more on that later.

Picture019.jpg

I had a burrito for lunch. Was delicious. Just thought I’d let you know. ;)

Picture024.jpg

Test system assembled! Running with an Intel SSD X25-V and my regular Silverstone PSU, not pictured.

Picture109.jpg

ROFL. Like my cabling skills?

Picture041.jpg

I was ready to dominate and unlock some cores, but failed. The cores actually did unlock with the machine posting to BIOS as an X4 955, but it would not load windows no matter what I threw at it. So I got emo and didn’t take any more BIOS pics :P

Picture015.jpg

Still, I would not end up entirely disappointed, as I was able to run the system stable at 3.8 ghz without doing much to the voltage (1.425v). Not bad for stock cooling! I was able to POST at 4.0 ghz, but couldn’t get it stable. I left the validation link at home, unless one of you guys knows how to search a database for one? I don’t think I uploaded it…

lol @ the burrito.

I have a very similar build to you. I love these AMD chips :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

lol @ the burrito.

I have a very similar build to you. I love these AMD chips :)

So good. I love AMD right now. Yeah, it doesn't crush benches like the i7, but if you can get a Phenom X4 955 for $100, you can't beat it. And OCing with just the multiplier is soooooo much better.

Axon on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The black mage is awesome!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ha, glad you guys like it! This is the shape of my next 8bit mod which will be done for pax
    IMAG0386-1.jpg

Its a home theater pc but quite well at gaming also.

I have a youtube video of the black mage being built from the ground up and I will have one for the Super Mushroom. There's just so much going on at pax I dont know how long I'm gonna even be in the byoc room, so many panels and events :D

thorkon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is that a...plasma glob...NICE!

Knoland on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yep modded a plasma orb into a staff :)

thorkon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do a metroid!

Axon on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, those are some epic casemods right there!

Loving the look of the Mushroom already :D

Gentlemanne on
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FYI - I just pulled the trigger on my BYOC registration (quite happy about that!). Once that was done, I immediately tried to register my girlfriend, and apparently they're now sold out...

Malfeis on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    thorkon wrote: »
    Ha, glad you guys like it! This is the shape of my next 8bit mod which will be done for pax
    IMAG0386-1.jpg

Its a home theater pc but quite well at gaming also.

I have a youtube video of the black mage being built from the ground up and I will have one for the Super Mushroom. There's just so much going on at pax I dont know how long I'm gonna even be in the byoc room, so many panels and events :D

pretty stuff

ill be bringing laptop since i dont have a monitor under 30

Zer078 on
    Pc gamer for life
This discussion has been closed.