As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archer: BACK!!!!

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    It's not the change of setting/premise for me; I just don't get the same kick out of seeing these characters interact like I used to.

But if they can rope me back in next season I'll be a happy viewer.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am torn on this season.
    On one hand, OUTLAW COUNTRY!

On the other hand, everything that happend to Pam.

I LIKE Pam. Them transitioning her from kinda out there secretly kinda badass head of HR to hilariously badass, but still WAY out there cast member is something I enjoyed. She's kinda been the steady pulse for me as far as the characters are concerned.

But the whole Coke addiction thing kinda drags down the whole goddamn season for me. I mean they try really hard to play it for laughs but then they try and treat it seriously and it falls apart and then you find out she's doing coke to look pretty and Archer tells her that they like her anyway and 3 episodes later she's STILL doing cocaine.

It's just...I expected them to play that for laughs for a couple of episodes and we get a temporary "hot" Pam for a bit and then a return to the median of sex crazed KINDA psychotic but hyper competent but awful at keeping secrets Pam.

It just stopped being funny and was just goddamn depressing.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The whole "taking inspiration from Breaking Bad" thing seemed like a bad idea. It just doesn't work with the characters in this show. Maybe if you did a spinoff with Kreiger as the mad unethical scientist and Cyril as the straight-laced accountant , you could have had something? MAYBE. But yeah it really felt like if the wanted to go "crime route", Reed + co should have conjured up a new series.* Granted I doubt they have the luxury considering the cashcow that Archer has become.

Still if they wanted a change of pace, I really could have seen other scenarios working a lot better. See: Burn Notice . And if they went that route we may have actually gotten some cool plots involving Barry or ones that bringing back Len Drexler (though I suspect Jeffrey Tomber(sp?) is busy, since he did two voices IIRC) or even Conway Stern. But they would still be "spies" which seems to be something htey didn't want...but it's kinda what made Archer Archer.

*I only say this because they are obviously good at making a variety of characters to fit different scenarios : see Sealab + Frisky Dingo (admittedly Frisky Dingo got a little weird at the end..not that it wasn't weird before. So I guess "weirder".

Egos on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I feel like this season has had a lot of flanderization of most of the secondary cast.

Lana has an actual fair amount of development. Archer has decent character insight, but basically negligible development. Cyril is probably closest to the other seasons.

Pam is just outlandishly poorly written. I like the voice actress, but they are killing the character. The coke bit is such old hat it has literally decayed and a plant is growing out of it. Stealing Archer's lines or being a blatant idiot to the tune of Homer Simpson continually decays any appreciation for the character.

Mallory has done a whole lot of nothing this season except be grumpy and complain about money to provide exposition or a terrible straightman. Cheryl has also done almost nothing. Woodhouse gets cutaway gags instead of interaction with Archer. Krieger is basically scientist Cheryl. Ray is written to whatever they need him for the episode (foil to Archer, competent agent, gay jokes, etc.).

I'm not sure if the problem with all of that is actually setting or focusing too overtly on minor characters or something else.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Pam is the worst offender as others have said. She as pretty well rounded character and they turned her into a walking one-liner.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Yes Adam Reed. Continue doing as I say.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I feel like the San Marcos plot hinted at in the season trailer would have been much more fun to explore. Calderon kidnapping Cherlene, and the gang starting a rebellion in her rescue attempt, and then taking over the country.

And wow Cyril, forcing a woman to marry you. Archer didn't even do that when he was a Pirate King.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Pirate King Archer wouldn't want to be tied down.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So the end of the season can go two ways:
    if they are resetting. CIA set them up to get burned and to do all this. the Coke is their's, given to mallory for this exact reason. They trade the country to the CIA/rebels for reinstatement officially.

Or

Everything was real, and they bargin with CIA to reinstate them if they trade over the government.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yep, still enjoying this season.

Also, coca leaves would never give her a buzz even in a smoothie. People chew on the leaves/drink the tea/etc all the time. Helps with elevation sickness, actually.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yep, still enjoying this season.

Also, coca leaves would never give her a buzz even in a smoothie. People chew on the leaves/drink the tea/etc all the time. Helps with elevation sickness, actually.

Maybe in sufficient quantities?

Though more likely she's so desensitized to cocaine now that it really was just empty calories.

• Options
    Her eyes are more sunken in this episode, I think its going to go real bad soon enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Regarding the launch codes:

http://imgur.com/gallery/5mIQJ

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Oh my god this show. Those Kriegers. That's awesome.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Lana, being awesome.
    Archer; "Lana! I need a woman's touch.
    *Bangs Archers head against the jailcell*

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    For the record, the lone Russian Submarine allotted in Axis and Allies, which has traditionally been named the Red October, has in recent games with friends been renamed the
    Red Kriegtober

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well, so...
    'Abbygene?'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Well, so...
    'Abbygene?'
    I was totally half expecting a pause and then Archer making some sort of quip about 'So are you set on that name, or...' or something like that.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Well, so...
    'Abbygene?'
    I was totally half expecting a pause and then Archer making some sort of quip about 'So are you set on that name, or...' or something like that.

Yeah, me too.
    Then again, his name is Sterling, which is not a typical name. So maybe's he's fine with uncommon names.

So, will it wind up being Abby Archer or Abby Kane?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Only just watched season four, not sure if this needs to be spoilered, but...
    I loved the shout-out to Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, which was a great show that deserved another season. Part of the reason I can't stand Bob's Burgers is the mainstream success it found despite being, IMO, easily the weakest show the van-havin'-H. Jon Benjamin has ever lent his talent to. Also, for obvious reasons, I loved the season opener.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Damn you tinnitus!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Gotta love "seriously, when I have ever been honest with Sterling?"

• Options
    Also, predictions for next season:
    They have the wrong the Kreiger, and the real Kreiger will show up and prove he's the real Kreiger by building an actual mind control chip to de-cocaine addict Pam. Then they'll, I don't know, kill the fake clone Kreiger. But then the real Kreiger will turn out to be a cyborg version of himself.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So wait
    did Archer know or not? The vibe I got from Mallory was that he did, and he was faking when he said "did you guys hear that?"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Other favorite moment:
    Pam punching Lana in the face in the middle of the delivery.
    So wait
    did Archer know or not? The vibe I got from Mallory was that he did, and he was faking when he said "did you guys hear that?"

No I think that was the truth.
    I mean it is immediately followed by "now I need to go bribe and/or threaten two federal agents". So I'm pretty sure Mallory did it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    They have the wrong the Kreiger, and the real Kreiger will show up and prove he's the real Kreiger by building an actual mind control chip to de-cocaine addict Pam. Then they'll, I don't know, kill the fake clone Kreiger. But then the real Kreiger will turn out to be a cyborg version of himself.

shouldnt this be easy to figure out? They all got taken out in very specific ways.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Pam:
    Was definitely a bag of bones this episode, her arms/legs were much skinnier than normal. So this is headed somewhere

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

shouldnt this be easy to figure out? They all got taken out in very specific ways.
    2 of them, yeah. IIRC the last couple were very ambiguous, since they both lost their ties.

It's probably just distrust joke fodder, since Krieger is very frequently shitfaced and forgets stuff he does, the group is gonna assume he's not the original. Otherwise why would one of the trio suddenly decide to disarm the rocket?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

2 of them, yeah. IIRC the last couple were very ambiguous, since they both lost their ties.

It's probably just distrust joke fodder, since Krieger is very frequently shitfaced and forgets stuff he does, the group is gonna assume he's not the original. Otherwise why would one of the trio suddenly decide to disarm the rocket?
    Because now ISIS is going to fly the giant container of nerve gas right into the middle of New York.

• Options
    ...oh shit

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Other favorite moment:
    So wait

I mean it is immediately followed by "now I need to go bribe and/or threaten two federal agents". So I'm pretty sure Mallory did it.

What I got from that scenario was that.
    It was both Mallory and Archers idea, and Mallory just lied to Lana to keep her employed

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Viskod wrote: »
    Other favorite moment:
    So wait

What I got from that scenario was that.
    It was both Mallory and Archers idea, and Mallory just lied to Lana to keep her employed
    But WhatshisfaceCIA guy said the whole point of him visiting them at the mansion was to plant the idea in Archer's head to sell the cocaine. That wouldn't make any sense if Archer knew the plan from the outset.

I'm pretty sure Archer got played like a fiddle the whole time and is telling the truth.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Also, when would Archer have been in on the idea? Mallory was negotiating it when they were all arrested, and Archer and Lana were trying to escape. Aside from Archer being the one to reveal all the coke, I don't see much reason to think Archer was in on it?

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Also, when would Archer have been in on the idea? Mallory was negotiating it when they were all arrested, and Archer and Lana were trying to escape. Aside from Archer being the one to reveal all the coke, I don't see much reason to think Archer was in on it?
    Also it explains Mallory constantly being disappointed that Stirling wasn't selling the coke fast enough. She would've been the only one who knew that there were any actual stakes to it.

• Options

The gang
    Isn't going to care if its the real krieger or not. in fact, that will be a gag. krieger will be like 'wait, you guys knew?' and there like 'yeah... we dont give a shit' or 'close enough, meh' and then him getting all sad

I love the bit with top secret spy ring play slapping the crap out of each other because they are just done with each other.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I feel like there weren't enough consequences for Cyril...

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Kreiger this episode had a huge bump on his head from the fight with the clones. I'd have to rewatch the older episodes, but I think one of the Kreigers got hit in the head with a fire extinguisher. So if it was the "real" Kreiger that got hit, then we have the same one with a new tie.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Kreiger this episode had a huge bump on his head from the fight with the clones. I'd have to rewatch the older episodes, but I think one of the Kreigers got hit in the head with a fire extinguisher. So if it was the "real" Kreiger that got hit, then we have the same one with a new tie.

You'd think after he highlighted the clear fashion, safety, and martial supremacy of bow-ties, however, that he wouldn't return to ties.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    They won me back with the last couple of episodes.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Okay I need a screenshot of the baby holding up a finger while sucking on the boob. That's my new profile pic.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum