As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assaulted at work. What do I need to know?

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've worked for a nationwide retailer for 5 years. I am employed in NY state. I am on good terms with management team (which I'm a small part of) and all the employees. My job was easy(ish), and sometimes even fun. I have little complaint that goes beyond corporate hullabaloo. My official status is part-time.

On the morning of January 14th, 2010, I was working my 8.5 hour shift, the first 4 hours of which I am the only staff in the store.

During this time an armed man came in the store to rob the place, and to ensure my cooperation he tightened a large plastic zip tie around my neck and suffocated me while I emptied the cash registers. Lucky for me, he painfully released the zip tie with a broken pair of scissors from the stores counter before he fled.

I sustained no lasting injuries, except severe tissue damage, which will definately heal in time. I am however very unnerved, to say the least.

I will not be returning to my position in the very near future, and am uncertain if I will return at all. However, in order to protect my families health and happiness, I need to know all my rights regarding workers compensation, or SSD. I have spoken with my district manager, and he had no details for me, or even how the corporation will classify this incident, possibly stifling my eligibility for such benefits.

I also wish to know what actions I should take on my own behalf to ensure I am protecting my rights, instead of waiting around for the corporation to take action.

I visited the NYSDOL website, but almost all links regarding specific laws are inaccessible.

The store also has no panic button. There is an alarm pad in plain view of the entire store and the only wait to activate any panic mode is to key in your alarm code backwards.

I am also wondering if there are any laws regarding safety practices in retail for companies with 10,000+ employees, operating in NY.

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Um. Lawyer?

admanb on
  • Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Um. Lawyer?

I live paycheck to paycheck, and have absolutely no funds available to me for securing legal representation. Not only that, but my mother-in-law is currently dealing with an SSD claim, and by the time it was determined she was entitled to about 20k in benefits (retro and otherwise) it was all taken by the lawyers. And she still owes them more.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You may be able to get a lawyer who will work for free or at least for a low amount. The ACLU might have some advice and are pretty accessible, just give them a call and explain what happened.

1ddqd on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I assume a police report is on file and all that jazz? That would seem to be the first step to me. Keep copies of everything.

If you can't find actual lawyers to help you, maybe hit up some law schools? They might be willing to take a look at your situation as a matter of practice.

Iceman.USAF on
  • SkeezicksSkeezicks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't live in the States so it might be different there but doesn't the company have some sort of Human Resources department that could at least answer some of those questions? i.e: rights regarding workers compensation.

Skeezicks on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow that's scary.

Human resources is there to protect the company and the companies interests above the interest of the employee. I'd start here: http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32374#7
    That should get you some resources (PTSD and such). Then I'd call a lawyer or three at least. Many will offer free consultation to advise whether they believe you have a case to be made.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't really know what goes down in these cases but if it hasn't been done I would file a police report asap. I hope they catch the bastard who did this to you.

Dman on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I am with iceman in that I hope you got the police involved right away.

As far as the lawyer thing, I've got no idea. That thing about your mother-in-law sounds pretty terrible.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Most police departments, especially large ones, should have a victims advocate. Get in contact with them, they have resources to help you in this situation and can possibly get you money too.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.wcb.state.ny.us/content/main/onthejob/OnTheJobInjury.jsp

Basically it boils down to:
    -Head to a workers comp board-approved medical facility and get fixed up.
    -Fill out a claim form and send it in.
    -Go back to work.

Since the injury occurred during work hours you should be covered. As long as they don't dispute the claim then your medical costs and lost-time should be reimbursed.

As far as the issue of having a panic button and that sort of thing, while it sucks, I really doubt you're going to get anywhere. There don't appear to be any laws regarding that sort of thing, so basically as long as the injury itself doesn't cause any permanent damage you are probably going to have to let it go.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's awful dude. For legal advice, maybe this page has something that can help you out.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited January 2010
    Thanks all. A few things:

Police report was filed. Considering the incident in particular, I was actually taken to a local hospital via ambulance from the scene. I followed up with the detective who met me at the hospital. The police are as involved as they possibly can be.

I will not be returning to work for the time being. I don't feel like being strangled again.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You need to be talking to human resources of your own company.

There should be a HQ hotline for HR issues that you can get info from.

My ex roommate was robbed at gunpoint while working at Blockbuster and I believe he had the option to transfer to a different store.

Jasconius on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will not be returning to work for the time being. I don't feel like being strangled again.

I wouldn't jump to this decision unless you're prepared to be fired.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One of my friends was robbed at a small convenience store. He was pretty shaken up about it. He visited a therapist for a while.

However, the company was really awesome about it. They gave him his normal wage since he was a fulltime employee for a couple of months without working and completely understood that when it was time to decide to come back or not, he got the fuck out.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    They gave him his normal wage since he was a fulltime employee for a couple of months without working and completely understood that when it was time to decide to come back or not, he got the fuck out.

I would say that was a very rare exception.

OP needs to talk to HR right away. They're not your friends, but you'll find out what the company's stance is, so you can go from there.

Was there video of the incident? May request it now, before it gets written over 'accidentally'. Other than talking to the police, which you did, there's not a lot else. Be aware deciding not to go back to work may be grounds for being term'd; I hope you didn't tell your boss yet?

MichaelLC on
    edited January 2010
    The police have the tape.

My boss knows that I am in shock and undecided about quitting. (However I am totally quitting, already applied for jobs)

Spoke with the workers comp firm. She was a claim rep and they took my info for the claim. Everyone I have spoken to is shocked with the... uniqueness of the incident.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grizzly, I read your post in SE++ and I have to say, I could immediately tell where you worked. They have the same set up and practices in CO. I briefly worked for that company in a management position, and quit when I saw how unsafe they were with cash handling procedures.

I too worked alone most of my shift, and I was required to open and close alone. When I closed I was required to take the deposit to the bank, alone, at night. When I mentioned that I felt unsafe I was told "This is a PLAZA, no one will rob you here." I pointed out that I am a 5'4'' female and if someone bumped me back inside the gate and shut it, no one would ever know. I was pretty much told I was being stupid. No cameras, no panic buttons, and the alarm pad was on the other side of the cash wrap situated half way behind a tv, and high enough that I had to stand tip toe to reach it.

I think there could be a way that you could maybe sue the store for unsafe practices, being that it's prevalent everywhere they are. I am not sure how they get away with what they do, and for as long as they have. I'm glad you made it through as it could have come out worse than it did.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391