As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic for Friday, January 15th

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    that fuckin' movie

not that Romeo & Juliet is that good to begin with, easily the weakest Shakespeare work in my opinion (how pretentious does that sound) but man I could not deal with them being in fucking street gangs with shotguns and STILL TALKING LIKE THEY WERE IN THE GODDAMNED MIDDLE AGES

cognitive dissonance

it's a stylistic choice, i am sorry your brain couldn't make it work... were you also troubled by the pop song references in moulin rouge

as for the dante's inferno hate, well

romeo and juliet is a play full of gangs and fighting and such, so having them fighting with alternate weapons is only a slight stretch

whereas there is no point in the inferno where dante wields any kind of weapon, as far as i remember, although i think there is a minor tussle on the way down that waterfall maybe

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    though to counterargue, look at the alice video game

Quoth on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am troubled by moulin rouge in general

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    alice has been mistreated so many times over the years

hopefully that alice in wonderland movie should finally convince people that tim burton should be put away for his own good

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

then i am disregarding any of your opinions on baz luhrmann movies in general

they're not for you, critic

Quoth on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

hopefully that alice in wonderland movie should finally convince people that tim burton should be put away for his own good

I am cautiously optimistic about that movie. I mean, the original Alice in Wonderland is a little creepy, but it's subtle, so if he manages to reign it in a little it could actually be good. Nothing I've seen so far has completely turned me off.

That said, it is Tim Burton and he's already completely fucked up an adaptation of another children's book I loved, so who knows.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quoth wrote: »

then i am disregarding any of your opinions on baz luhrmann movies in general

they're not for you, critic

probably because I don't have a vagina

my wife loves both those movies

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

i have liked many of his movies but his fondness for turning johnny depp into a weirdo has become too much even for me

alice in wonderland is satire for goodness' sake, it's not meant to be read literally

but now i am trying to figure out why i am ready to hate on the inferno game but not the alice game

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I am cautiously optimistic about that movie. I mean, the original Alice in Wonderland is a little creepy, but it's subtle, so if he manages to reign it in a little it could actually be good. Nothing I've seen so far has completely turned me off.

That said, it is Tim Burton and he's already completely fucked up an adaptation of another children's book I loved, so who knows.

well the fact that I haven't seen and don't even know who's playing Alice is kind of an indicator of how this is going to go, for me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taking a classic play, making it modern and using a teen idol to make it more appealing to teenage girls is pretty bad.

This is still worse though:

200908041136.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i just threw up in my mouth a little

hate that book so much

Quoth on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shoe, don't you have a cloud to go yell at?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played the Dante's Inferno demo and I thought it was pretty fun.

I mean it's sort of a ridiculous premise for a game but the combat was cool.

Like Bayonetta I guess?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    Shoe, don't you have a cloud to go yell at?

I only yell at things that upset me

I like clouds

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i just threw up in my mouth a little

hate that book so much

The movie was pretty good, though

Although it wouldn't hold a candle to MOBY DICK: the movie based on the game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

well the fact that I haven't seen and don't even know who's playing Alice is kind of an indicator of how this is going to go, for me
    They showed her in that last trailer that came out.

But point taken.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Anne Hathaway. But what's currently annoying me about that movie is the fact we have a big banner-style poster for it up in our lobby and it's this one. That's not the Red Queen. The Red Queen is a chess piece from Through the Looking Glass. That is the Queen of Hearts. These people took liberties. Grave ones.

Well, that and the fact that so much makeup on the queen makes me immediately think Queen Amidala. Then I spend the rest of the walk from the booth to the office thinking of the Phantom Menace review guy's voice.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure even Lewis Carroll didn't think there was that big of a difference between the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts
    The books aren't exactly character focused

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    She is commonly mistaken for the Queen of Hearts in the story's predecessor, Alice in Wonderland, but in reality shares none of her characteristics other than being a queen. Indeed, Carroll, in his lifetime, made the distinction of the two Queens by saying:

"I pictured to myself the Queen of Hearts as a sort of embodiment of ungovernable passion - a blind and aimless Fury. The Red Queen I pictured as a Fury, but of another type; her passion must be cold and calm - she must be formal and strict, yet not unkindly; pedantic to the 10th degree, the concentrated essence of all governesses!"
    —Lewis Carroll, in "Alice on the Stage"

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looks like I just got served

BusterK on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    disney mixed up a bunch of shit from looking glass into their alice. nothing to get your panties in a bunch over, i say.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah the only adpations I can think of that kept them strictly separate were some TV movies that got to be really boring

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    the cheat wrote: »
    disney mixed up a bunch of shit from looking glass into their alice.

Such as Tweedledum and Tweedledee and...actually, that's about it.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    that fuckin' movie

not that Romeo & Juliet is that good to begin with, easily the weakest Shakespeare work in my opinion (how pretentious does that sound) but man I could not deal with them being in fucking street gangs with shotguns and STILL TALKING LIKE THEY WERE IN THE GODDAMNED MIDDLE AGES

cognitive dissonance

but you're okay with Romeo and Juliet with street gangs, right?

because,
    WestSideStory.jpg

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Geek, have you know decency sir?

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    Geek, have you know decency sir?

Geek nos know decency.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ehhhhhhh
    Fuck
    I'll leave it to remind me of my shame

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »

the scene with the carpenter and the walrus.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »

the scene with the carpenter and the walrus.

Which was a package deal with Tweedledum and Tweedledee, as they were the ones to recite that poem in Looking Glass as well.

Anyways, I approve of that clip. Carol Channing's sheep-in-a-hat is delightfully sheeplike. Although I did want to see them in the rowboat afterwards.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    so, i think that 'a bunch of shit' is a good way to describe 'a package of things.'

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yet, the point with the poster example isn't that they're importing characters from both books into one movie. We already know they're doing that, bringing in Tweedledee and Tweedledum just like the 1951 Disney film did. The point is that they're bringing in a very well-known character from the first, the Queen of Hearts, and renaming her with the exact same name of a comparatively obscure character from the second who has a completely different appearance, personality, and a total lack of on-screen minions. Why? I dunno. Maybe it's easier to trademark "Red Queen" than "Queen of Hearts". But they do know that most people aren't going to know the difference, which leaves it as a very mild yet persistent reminder to those who do.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am so sick of Alice in Wonderland adaptations oh my god

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »

no you see mine is going to be a dark and surreal version of alice... like it's going to be so fucking dark and twisted oh my god

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    guys anne hathaway is playing the white queen, not alice

i believe it is a relatively unknown australian girl playing alice

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »

no you see mine is going to be a dark and surreal version of alice... like it's going to be so fucking dark and twisted oh my god

Can do.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

all the better to keep her out of johnny depp's way

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Curiouser and curiouser. Indeed, an IMDB check shows Mia Wasikowska as Alice and Anne Hathaway as the White Queen. I simply assumed it was Anne (in makeup, I dunno) because I figured Alice, being a sorta-somewhat main character in Alice in Wonderland, would have high billing.

helenal.jpg

But no, apparently Mia is going to stay relatively unknown because Alice can't even get fourth billing in her own movie. What is this?

She does show up on the next page, right next to Danny Elfman. Ok, yeah, you want to advertise all the celebrities people care about first before getting to the "Who?" names, but couldn't you at least put Mia somewhere on the first page? You could replace Crispin Glover. The Knave of Hearts isn't that much more central to the movie than Alice is.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No no, Alice is played by the actress "Alice in Wonderland", who gets billing above Anne Hathaway.

Really, it's the part she was born to play.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't think there's any new ground to cover w/r/t Alice. A straight up adaptation just won't work because the satire is no longer relevant, and everything else has been done to death.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.