As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[!] Metal Gear Monday - MARK ALL SPOILERS, some people are still virgins in here.

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm finding the controls for MGS4 a tad confusing at times and I'm having trouble identifying if people are friend or foe in a few spots, but otherwise it's pretty enjoyable.

The fact that you even care to make this distinction makes me wonder if you're doing it right. :P

Also, all the MGS games are well worth your time. Some of the hate I can understand, most of it I can't. I've heard a lot of shit about MGS's 2 and 4, and I disagree with near all of it. Sure, I got annoyed at the cutscenes from time to time. There were just times when it really bothered me that the action was being interrupted...again. (That and the cutscene where you meet Big Mama causing me to be late for work. :()

That said, I think all four games in the series are some of the finest pieces of video gaming I've ever experienced. MGS1 brought a whole new element to the medium. Aside from being the first game I can remember that did cutscenes in real-time as opposed to FMV (which really helped preserve immersion, IMO) it also brought something intangible that defies description. I can't quite put it into words, but there's something there that screams "You're not playing a video game, you're interacting with a piece of fine technological art." It's a feeling I get whenever I'm playing an MGS game that serves as a constant reminder of why I consider it one of my top five favorite game franchises of all time.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know what really makes me want to destroy things

MGS1 spoilers
    In the fight with Liquid in the Hind D, you pull out your stinger missiles and you can't just fire and put your weapon away to hide. This is not a big deal. It makes sense that you'd have to stay locked on to your target, sure. What really raises my blood pressure, though, is that once you hit the fucker, you have to wait for him to start shooting at you before you can put the first-person gun away and run to hide.

ASDIPFhjkl/ rlgjkxdfcgxdfsj *smashes keyboard*

joshofalltrades on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I uh...what. I don't think so.

Renzo on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I uh...what. I don't think so.

No, it's true, but shortly after I posted that I found out that you have to use R1 instead of R2 to unequip it quick

Which is still bullshit, they should really let you use either one

In other news
    I am lung-shot, kill me quickly

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHTY BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAHHHHH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLUETY BLAH BLAHTY BLUE

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHHHHHHHHHHH

Blah. Blah blahhh blah blahty blah blah

Blah blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blah.

Okay, now kill me

joshofalltrades on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Regarding your spoiler:

It's a Metal Gear game.

Renzo on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7aACDTi278

New trailer (I don't think this counts as one of the 10 Gameplay vids they announced).

The song is "Koi no Yokushiryoku (ENG: Love Deterrant)", which I'm guessing is Paz's image song (a first for the series).

Igort on
    edited March 2010
    Whoo, finished the first game again for the first time in probably 10 years today

On to the second and all of the madness that entails

joshofalltrades on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Igort wrote: »

New trailer (I don't think this counts as one of the 10 Gameplay vids they announced).

The song is "Koi no Yokushiryoku (ENG: Love Deterrant)", which I'm guessing is Paz's image song (a first for the series).

Big Boss is a Lolicon, CONFIRMED. :lol:

Thinking of doing another MGS completist run myself in a few months. Hopefully we'll get more info on Raiden's game this E3.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hopefully we'll get more info on Raiden's game this E3.

Indeed, just the fact that they're making another MGS to continue the main series has me pretty stoked. I'll definitely miss Snake, but I never had a huge problem with Raiden. Here's hoping MGS Rising will be as awesome as we all want it to be.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hey is the piece walker site borked for anyone else?
    I cant scroll or pick levels and the online battle just loads forever

VALVEjunkie on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fourth New Gameplay Video

"Going Old School: Orthodox Metal"

New gameplay trailer. Just a bunch of clips showing that the "hard-core gameplay that the MGS series is known for, lives strong in PEACE WALKER."

Also, I'll just leave this here...

April Fools Gameplay Footage

Igort on
    edited April 2010
    Sexy.

Gotta love that rebel yell.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally got an afternoon to myself and continued playing through MGS4. Just reached
    The Research Lab in South Africa

Starring: Naomi Hunter
    Co-starring: Naomi's Breasts!

RisenPhoenix on
    edited April 2010
    Igort wrote: »
    Fourth New Gameplay Video

"Going Old School: Orthodox Metal"

New gameplay trailer. Just a bunch of clips showing that the "hard-core gameplay that the MGS series is known for, lives strong in PEACE WALKER."

Also, I'll just leave this here...

April Fools Gameplay Footage

this

OWNS

VALVEjunkie on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nice call back to when they previewed "Assassin's Creed 2" which was actually the first part of MGS4 with Snake in an Altair style robe.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm, I don't know, halfway through MGS2 now? It's the scene where you
    fight off the Harrier with the Stinger missiles

It has been years since I played this game (which is why I'm replaying the first two before I start the third and fourth, which I've never experienced) but so far I'm having a blast. There are a few rough edges and I haven't gotten to the
    Raiden dancing around nude while covering his crotch

scene yet, or any of the really long cutscenes, but the story is making sense up to this point and I'm not terribly confused. I remember how big of a disappointment it was when this game came out that you only got to play Snake for the first couple hours, but knowing Raiden would be the main character going into it this time it's not half bad. I get the impression that Kojima wanted to give the player the feeling that they were totally in the dark, and that would have been impossible with Snake as the main since he's become so savvy since the first game. Raiden isn't a legendary character like Snake is, but he works fine.

Hopefully I get through the review of the rest of this game quickly; it's fun, but I want to break new ground. I hear 3 is incredible and way better than 2, but I haven't heard much about 4 from this forum. I'm happy to keep posting my impressions as a virgin to half of this series, or I can shut up if you all prefer.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2010
    You didn't think the whole Fatman story/bomb disposal tutorial cutscene was long?

Yeah, Raiden is an acquired taste but he's a good guy.
    Also, I just (re)discovered that in MGS3:Subsistence if you say "I Like MGS3" you unlock the majority of the end game content off the bat. This includes Demo Theater and special camos/face paint.

Of course if you had a MGS3:Snake Eater clear save then you already had everything unlocked in the first place too.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    You didn't think the whole Fatman story/bomb disposal tutorial cutscene was long?

Also, I just (re)discovered that in MGS3:Subsistence if you say "I Like MGS3" you unlock the majority of the end game content off the bat. This includes Demo Theater and special camos/face paint.

Of course if you had a MGS3:Snake Eater clear save then you already had everything unlocked in the first place too.

speaking of mgs3, the end fight was really fun
    I had heard about that thing where you save, turn the ps2 off, and set the clock forward a month and then come back so he dies of old age

but after the cutscene I felt like a piece of shit so I put the clock back and whipped his ass with the MK. 22

I just beat him last night. It wasn't that hard, actually. Especially because I used the anti-personnel detector

the fight was basically a 45 minute game of marco polo
    oh and
    the lense flare from his scope gave him away quite a few times

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010
    Epic meme is epic.

DID JRUOO RIKE IT?

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited April 2010
    wha?

what is that

VALVEjunkie on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I had heard about that thing where you save, turn the ps2 off, and set the clock forward a month and then come back so he dies of old age

but after the cutscene I felt like a piece of shit so I put the clock back and whipped his ass with the MK. 22

I just beat him last night. It wasn't that hard, actually. Especially because I used the anti-personnel detector

oh and

true men equip the naked camo, the american face paint, and run around blasting the shotgun until he pegs you so you can pinpoint him on the map

then, still naked, crawl up behind him and jam the knife in his geriatric prune socket

Nuzak on
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »

oh and

true men equip the naked camo, the american face paint, and run around blasting the shotgun until he pegs you so you can pinpoint him on the map

then, still naked, crawl up behind him and jam the knife in his geriatric prune socket

gotta admit that would have been waaaay more awesome

but alas, I am doing a no kill run

what do you get for PSYCHEing, him anyway?
    all that was there was
    his mosin
    but I thought there was something else, too

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010
    his camo, which lets you regenerate stamina or life in the sunlight i think

Nuzak on
    edited April 2010
    what the hell I didn't even TOUCH his life gauge and all I got was the gun

thats some grade A bullshit, right there

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010
    on easy literally all i did was bare-chest stars and stripes kill everything that moves

including the wildlife

once the shotgun was out of ammo, i used the revolver

and once that was out, i had the m60, so ARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH DIE COMMIES DIIIIEE

Nuzak on
    edited April 2010
    you guys keep talking about that facecamo

where do you get it

also
    where would one do this

E: nevermind I just remembered

VALVEjunkie on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

You have to hold him up to get the camo.

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2010

You have to hold him up to get the camo.

oh

:cry:

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010
    god damnit valvejunkie where's your natural instinct for putting a gun to an old man's head and telling him to take his camouflage off nice and slow or you'll blow his head off

Nuzak on
    edited April 2010
    I tried to a couple times, honest!

but he always spun around and shot me in the face so I pistol sniped his ass with the 22

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010
    Have to do it like 5 times or so before he gets the message

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    oh well, too late now

:?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited April 2010

Okay, half an hour ago I would have agreed with you, but I just went to save my game and
    it's revealed that he hits his girlfriend. The first time was apparently when she went into his room without permission and found nothing but a bed and desk.

Way to kill any sympathetic link with the character I'm controlling, Kojima.

I'm glad I let him get pissed on earlier.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2010
    As a side note, could anybody tell me about how long the ending cinematic is for MGS2? I literally haven't completed the game since about a week after it came out, and I don't want to play the ending if it's going to make me late for class or work.

joshofalltrades on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As a side note, could anybody tell me about how long the ending cinematic is for MGS2? I literally haven't completed the game since about a week after it came out, and I don't want to play the ending if it's going to make me late for class or work.

Endings for mgs games are most enjoyed when you set aside time for it.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited April 2010

Thing is, I'm a full-time student with two jobs, two kids and a wife who doesn't want to watch the ending cinematic for MGS2

So, the reason I'm asking this question is because I need to know how much time I need to set aside to enjoy it most

EDIT:

Ehhh that came out kind of nasty and I didn't intend it that way

Just so you know

joshofalltrades on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Thing is, I'm a full-time student with two jobs, two kids and a wife who doesn't want to watch the ending cinematic for MGS2

So, the reason I'm asking this question is because I need to know how much time I need to set aside to enjoy it most

EDIT:

Just so you know

I really don't care.

If you're that worried about it... just wait until you know you have the time.

Its been a while since I last beat it, but set aside at least an hour.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

EDIT:

Just so you know

Quite long. From the
    bit where you're naked and tortured
    it took me around 3 hours, I think, and very little of that is play-time.

AnteCantelope on
    edited April 2010
    GAAH fucking hell!
    the sorrow

what do I do

this is creepy I dont like it

MAKE THE BAD MAN GO AWAY, BOSS!

VALVEjunkie on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GAAH fucking hell!
    the sorrow

what do I do

this is creepy I dont like it

MAKE THE BAD MAN GO AWAY, BOSS!
    I didn't like that boss because it's entirely based on knowing you need to use a certain item.
    the thing that wakes you up after you fake your death.
    Also you can just lie down at the start of the level, drown in the water, and use it then.

AnteCantelope on