As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] II: This Time, It's DRUNKER

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    St. Lucia's Admiral Rodney Extra Old is my current favorite rum. It has a very rich flavor that stays with you for a long time, making for a great sipping drink that doesn't overwhelm you with sweetness. Their Toz Gold is great too for a bit sweeter, lighter taste.

Mount Gay is pretty good too, and is my go to rum most of the time since it is pretty easy to find around here.

Also, everyone should try Guavaberry at least once; that shit is magic.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was swept up in the romance of the marketing :(

So was I for a while, honestly. The life of a 18th century seafarer was absolutely horrible, but for some reason I want to swig rum and load up the blunderbuss.

As for Jack Daniels, it served as my introduction into whiskey and for that I'm thankful. I haven't had it in a long time, but we left on amicable terms before I knew what was good; I wonder if I'd still like it now, but I'm a bit afraid to find out.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

So was I for a while, honestly. The life of a 18th century seafarer was absolutely horrible, but for some reason I want to swig rum and load up the blunderbuss.

As for Jack Daniels, it served as my introduction into whiskey and for that I'm thankful. I haven't had it in a long time, but we left on amicable terms before I knew what was good; I wonder if I'd still like it now, but I'm a bit afraid to find out.

Jack Daniels is the elixer to cure a broken heart

By puking it all over your bathroom

Feels good man

Robman on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Right now I am drinking all my alcohol out of a coffee cup, is there anything to buy to replace that so I don't look so ridiculous? I know there are a lot of options but what one glass should I get to replace it? I am still actually living in a hotel.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Right now I am drinking all my alcohol out of a coffee cup, is there anything to buy to replace that so I don't look so ridiculous? I know there are a lot of options but what one glass should I get to replace it? I am still actually living in a hotel.

Go with a rocks glass.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

if you have not read this, you must

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Patrick-OBrian/dp/0393307050

the movie is also enjoyable

AND you can drink rum while doing either!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Yard glass. You will be the coolest dude ever.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, sorry Pods, they freakin' said it was going to be a Barolo and it turned out to be a brunello. Grrrrrrrr I feel cheated!

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like vodka way too much for my health.

Need to get some pickles.

Quid on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I raided the house and discovered Peppermint Schnapps, Appleton Special Jamaica Rum, Castillo Silver Puerto Rican Rum, and Jose Cuervo Tequila. Any ideas?

Slider on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tequila and Squirt is a favorite of people in Mexico i've heard.

Alternately[since its hard to find Squirt at bars in the states], try Tequila, sprite, and grapefruit. I can attest that its a fine little mix. Go light on the tequila.

Its still winter, so hot buttered rum is always good, the darker rum the better imo. Also you can probably add the peppermint to that and make something interesting.
    Everyone here seems to love Woodford Reserve, so I'm going to have to pick up a bottle for myself one of these days.
    Its a pretty good mid-range bourbon which is why we like it here. It goes down a little smoother and lighter than most bourbons that you would otherwise get.

If you like Rye, you can't go wrong with Sazerac. If you want to learn a nice cocktail you can make a Sazerac with your Sazerac or, if you are in Seattle, you can head down to Sazerac during happy hour, and get a Sazerac Sazerac.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I've recently gotten into beer (mostly because I had something that wasn't Natty light or its other cheap brethern.

I've been looking for recommendations:

I've tried Blue Moon which i do really like.

I also had Amber Bock which, while nice, seemed to lack any real disctinct flavor- something similar to this would be nice to have

And I had Fat Tire which I also really liked.

Any suggestions?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Tequila and Squirt is a favorite of people in Mexico i've heard.

Alternately[since its hard to find Squirt at bars in the states], try Tequila, sprite, and grapefruit. I can attest that its a fine little mix. Go light on the tequila.

Its still winter, so hot buttered rum is always good, the darker rum the better imo. Also you can probably add the peppermint to that and make something interesting.
    Everyone here seems to love Woodford Reserve, so I'm going to have to pick up a bottle for myself one of these days.
    Its a pretty good mid-range bourbon which is why we like it here. It goes down a little smoother and lighter than most bourbons that you would otherwise get.

If you like Rye, you can't go wrong with Sazerac. If you want to learn a nice cocktail you can make a Sazerac with your Sazerac or, if you are in Seattle, you can head down to Sazerac during happy hour, and get a Sazerac Sazerac.

Thanks. That squirt and grapefruit drink sounds like it would be very sour.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Go to your local beer and wine specialty store. Tell them that you liked both Fat Tire and Blue Moon. They will then direct you to a bevy of beers that may suit your tastes.

Blue Moon is a wheat bear and kinda lite. Fat Tire is an Amber and a lot more flavor. If you want to start exploring pale ales and IPA's i would suggest starting with Sierra Nevada's Pale, since that is a fairly good introductory beer. It isn't great, but it won't overwhelm you either. That or Fish Tale Organic IPA, one of the best IPA's that i have ever had.

As far as lagers go, i know that Bell's makes a pretty good lager, full of flavor, yet still crispy and light. They also have a number of great stouts, but if you're trying them to start, stay away from the Kalamazoo and Expedition[The Kalamazoo uses brewers licorice and its potent and the expedition is big as well]

There is certainly more, but i am out of time for now

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd go to a local store like that but... as far as i know we don't really have any. Just the local market has a wide selection but no one there is all that helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions though, i'll keep an eye out for them.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm thinking this winter it'll be stouts for me. I got a winter sampler of magic hat, some oaked arrogant bastard, and some brooklyn winter lager, but I think I enjoyed the Victory Storm King I got more than all of those.

Might try the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout next, or perhaps one of the Rogue offerings.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, sorry Pods, they freakin' said it was going to be a Barolo and it turned out to be a brunello. Grrrrrrrr I feel cheated!

Yeah, I checked it out on a quick break. Not in a real Brunello mood, and I have a few bottles of rosso di montalcino I got from a distributer as a christmas gift, so I really couldn't justify the purpose.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Red Stag, Red Stag, Red Stag.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Slider wrote: »

Thanks. That squirt and grapefruit drink sounds like it would be very sour.

Its tequila sprite and grapefruit in lieu of tequila and squirt. Earlier i said go light on the tequila and i meant go light on the sprite. It seems like it would be very sour, but the tequila mellows out the sour as the sour mellows out the tequila. I was quite surprised at how well it turned out[the sprite/grapefruit/tequila mix]
    I'd go to a local store like that but... as far as i know we don't really have any. Just the local market has a wide selection but no one there is all that helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions though, i'll keep an eye out for them.

Where do you live?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Where do you live?

I'm going to school in Cape G. Missouri (SEMO)

And I have no car... if its not with in walking distance it sadly won't due :(

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Where do you live?

What are the beer laws in Missouri? Can you buy beers in a local convenience store? If so, head there, see if they have any local brews available. Drink 'em up, see what you like.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thank God for my resistance to hangovers.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Where do you live?

So, it took a while, but i found, about 10 blocks South West from Capaha park a shop called "Keg Shop". There are also a number of convenience stores around the area as well as a number of bars that claim to have decent selections. I suggest just going into a bar or something and asking, and leaving if they can't tell you anything or you recognize the beers in a bad way. You might also try Buckner Brewing at 132 North Main, which is a local brewery and is East of the most South East point of campus. It however is a eatery, so it might not be the best place to go to buy stuff in [as their selection will be relatively small]

Keg Shop
    1803 Independence Street, Cape Girardeau, MO 63703-5821(573) 334-8558‎

If you live on the south side of campus both should be within reasonable walking distance(2 miles or so each way)

If you're ever in Richmond VA, or Seattle WA let me know as i know some good bars there to get a good selection of beers.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I also had Amber Bock which, while nice, seemed to lack any real disctinct flavor- something similar to this would be nice to have

Amber Bock keeps its spot in the stable for me because of its cheapness. For me, its generally in the price range slightly higher than PBR, and matched by Bud, Miller, and Coors at bars, and I find it wins out every time.

Four Roses and Woodford, mm mm m. Jack's O.K. when I'm cheap or sad, but other times, I's rather have something three degrees North or so.

piL on
  • Options
    ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just drank some Rogue Mocha Porter. Damn fine. The coffee notes really hit hard on the back end.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Goumindong: Awesome, thanks a lot for finding that place. Its very much within walking distance so I'll be checking it out (probably tomorrow). I might try out some local convenience shops to see what they carry... In my experience its mostly been 24 packs of the "frat" beers but this was also before I was interested in beer so its likely i just ignored what they carried.

I have been to buckeners in the past but like you said, they have a somewhat limited, and if i remember right, very seasonal, selection. They do sell by the jug there so that probably is worth looking into.

And I'll try to remember that offer if I ever find myself heading out to either of those cities. Thanks again :)

PiL: I agree, Amber Bock definately beats out those other beers you mentioned and, for the price i paid I was surprised i liked it as much as I did. I just didn't find it particularly memorable but it might have lost that something "extra" because I didn't get it on tap.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tequila and Jarritos works too.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just drank some Rogue Mocha Porter. Damn fine. The coffee notes really hit hard on the back end.
    It's pretty solid stuff - if you have access to Elysian beers, the Perseus Porter is also awesome and worth your dollars.

I have been sampling Widmer's yearly release (W'10) which, for this version, is a Cascadian Dark Ale - also known as a Black IPA. This takes a few sips to process the flavor. My taste buds have never had dark malts in with the citrus/grapefruit aspect of an IPA. I recommend trying one.

I'll be pouring Alaskan's Baltic Porter in about two minutes. I'll be nicely toasted in about 20.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as beer goes, I'm not a huge beer snob but Dos equis is great, and so is modello. That is just beer and my love for mexican cerveza.

Whiskey is where it is at though. I'm pondering my next whiskey purchase, my last two have been crown royal and jamison, looking to spend that much. Maybe I will start to venture into bourbon.

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As far as beer goes, I'm not a huge beer snob but Dos equis is great, and so is modello. That is just beer and my love for mexican cerveza.

Whiskey is where it is at though. I'm pondering my next whiskey purchase, my last two have been crown royal and jamison, looking to spend that much. Maybe I will start to venture into bourbon.

Elijah Craig is a good bourbon in roughly that area (somewhat cheaper in WA).

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I've recently gotten into beer (mostly because I had something that wasn't Natty light or its other cheap brethern.

I've been looking for recommendations:

I've tried Blue Moon which i do really like.

And I had Fat Tire which I also really liked.

Any suggestions?

have you tried any of the Sam Adams Seasonals?

they are all fantastic, and i think you may especially enjoy the Winter Lager and Spring Ale

also, i can't recommend He'Brew enough

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=85220&g2_serialNumber=2

and most things by Spaten I like

if you want a REALLY fancy beer, try Three Philosophers

threephil-thumb.jpg

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ommegang does ridiculously good beer.

The Judge on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

also, i can't recommend He'Brew enough

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=85220&g2_serialNumber=2

Really? I was tempted, but wasn't sure.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes, i am being serious

me being jewish has nothing to do with it

Joolander on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, unless they're checking membership cards at the register, I think I can get by.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's Perfectly Acceptable Beer.

The Judge on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Judge wrote: »
    It's Perfectly Acceptable Beer.

Perfectly Acceptable Beer is a name I'd give to something that lacked unique characteristics that was otherwise perfectly drinkable, like the Sleeman's lineup in Canada, Kieth's IPA, Molson Canadian or Heineken.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd call that Adequately Satisfactory, Rob

but then i am a nerd

Joolander on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At milk and honey. Rye smash: rye, mint, lemon, bitters, sizzurp.

Perfection.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This weekend I tried a Canadian beer, though it may have just been branding. Lambatt's or something similar? It was very similar to, to... Bud Light?

Verr on
This discussion has been closed.