As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW low frame rate is making me want to smash things!

GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Manufacture: Asus
Model: Asus Notbook G50VT Series
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P7450@2.13GHz
RAM: 4GB
Operating System: Windows Vista
System Type: 64 - bit operating system
Video: Nvidia Geforce 9800m GS

World of Warcraft ran fine on my three year old gateway laptop with average video settings. When i first installed WoW on this computer, it ran great on maxed out video settings and with other programs running. Now for some reason 95% of the time im getting 2 FPS. It will jump up to something like 8 for a bit and then if im really lucky, maybe 30 FPS for a few seconds before it drops back down again. I've tried my video settings all the way up, all the way down, all my add ons disabled, and with no other programs running in the back ground. I've also checked my video card for updates but device manager says its current. I tried opening a ticket in game so i could talk to a blizzard tech but after two days of the little icon on my screen saying im in line, i gave up and canceled it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this before either smash this thing into pieces and/or cancel my account?

Grimm on

• Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Run these programs:

Adaware
    Spybot
    O&O Defrag
    Ccleaner

Do these things:

Get canned air and spray out the heat sink fan.

Get a boot-up/services manager for your version of windows and deselect ALL of the proggies you don't need to run in a service.

Update your card drivers.

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    Run these programs:

Adaware
    Spybot
    O&O Defrag
    Ccleaner

Do these things:

Get canned air and spray out the heat sink fan.

Get a boot-up/services manager for your version of windows and deselect ALL of the proggies you don't need to run in a service.

Update your card drivers.

I've already run adaware, spybot, and a virus scan as usual. I also regularly spray out the computer. I also have already selected which programs to run in msconfig.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I also just went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver manually. It got my frame rate up to about 50 for a couple minutes then took a nose dive right back down to 3

Grimm on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When is the last time you did a fresh install of windows? This might be windows rot.

Awk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    When is the last time you did a fresh install of windows? This might be windows rot.

Sometime over the summer. I just bought this thing over the summer but after a couple weeks, i had to do a reinstall to fix some corrupted file.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tried once again putting all my video settings all the way down. My frame rate shot up to over 200. Best i had ever seen. Then after about 20 seconds, back down to 8 fps

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32056

wonder if this could be my problem

Grimm on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Install Speedfan and watch your CPU temps while playing the game.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    theclam wrote: »
    Install Speedfan and watch your CPU temps while playing the game.

about 90c or 190f

EDIT: Thats the video card

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    temps-1.jpg

Grimm on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Did you dust it yet? A friend of mine had the exact same syptoms on his Dell XPS. Even fresh install of windows did no good. Finally dusted it and it ran like a champ.

YMMV.

Edit: Oh, dusted regulary. But those temps are still too high. Hopefully the fan hasn't broken?

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    temps are still rising. about 200 for the gpu and 170 for the core 1 and 2

Grimm on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    those temps are way high, high enough to trigger some sort of step-down in the clock speed of either your gpu or cpu, or both.

check to make sure that your fans are still running fine, and that nothing is blocking any intakes/exhausts.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What you have to do with the Asus (I just did this) is take your handy-dandy vacuum cleaner and put it on the fan exhaust grill and turn it on. It made a world of difference on my Asus F3SA which would randomly shut down because it got too hot. Now it runs like brand new.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, Windows Vista is just NOT a good operating system.

I was running Vista (and my system is a fucking monster) and had constant problems.

Upgraded to Win 7 64-bit and its like an entirely different computer.

If this is an option at all,I'd highly suggest considering it.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    neville wrote: »

I was running Vista (and my system is a fucking monster) and had constant problems.

It may not be the cause of your problems, but I agree with neville having recently upgraded to 7 myself. If you're a student you can get it cheap. If you're not a student, see if someone you know who is will get it for you.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

It may not be the cause of your problems, but I agree with neville having recently upgraded to 7 myself. If you're a student you can get it cheap. If you're not a student, see if someone you know who is will get it for you.

I was actually considering that. Im working seven days a week, twelve hour shifts so it might be awhile before i get a chance to get to the store though.

Grimm on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Grimm wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

I was actually considering that. Im working seven days a week, twelve hour shifts so it might be awhile before i get a chance to get to the store though.

If you can get a student discount, just buy the upgrade online and download it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As much fun as it is to bash Vista, it is not causing your CPU or GPU to approach the boiling point. You really shouldn't even have your computer on at this point.

If you haven't been overclocking, you've already got rid of dust, and your computer is in a well ventilated area, your fans just might be dieing.

exmello on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn those temps are REALLY high. Has your heatsink fan died? Check to make sure your fans are running and not slow. You might try using one of those USB plug-in thingies that you set your laptop on that blows air.

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are right about it being a heat issue causing my low frame rates. My old laptop ran the game fine till the the cpu fan died and the game acted the same way for a few moments before the computer crashed. I just figured what are the odds of another computer having the same problem. Not to mention this computer only being about 6 months old. I just bought another can of air and sprayed everything out again. The case feels ALOT cooler, the fan isnt running at all now, and from the very little of WoW i've tried, things seem to be a bit better. I'm still getting these temps from speed fan after about a half hour of WoW running in the background and a few tabs open in firefox.

GPU -162F
    Core 1 - 135f
    Core 2 - 135f

Grimm on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That seems a bit hot. Not devastatingly so, but maybe because it's throttling to that level.

When did the problem start?

It could well be the Nvidia driver issue you linked; I assume you've already tried updating/regressing drivers? Maybe Windows Update snuck a driver update on you when you weren't looking. System Restore?

At this point you've probably investigated all the easier possibilities, so now's the time to try harder ones. Installing Windows doesn't hurt if you have a clean install disc lying about - if you have 10gb free, you can shrink your current partition, drop Windows 7 there, then test WoW on it (i.e., temporarily dual-boot Windows Vista + 7. This might take about an hour if everything goes correctly, most of it watching Windows slowly install, and can be cleanly undone by just deleting the second install and re-expanding your current partition).

Other tests: look for a laptop cooler, or place your laptop in a significantly cooler (not humid) place - open a window for a while, perhaps. If the problem diminishes, it's a heat issue (which may then be due to driver fault, or bad hardware).

Run something else that eats GPU and see if it slows down as well. This might depend on your being roughly familiar with how such software would behave normally on a laptop of your spec.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    That seems a bit hot. Not devastatingly so, but maybe because it's throttling to that level.

When did the problem start?

It could well be the Nvidia driver issue you linked; I assume you've already tried updating/regressing drivers? Maybe Windows Update snuck a driver update on you when you weren't looking. System Restore?

At this point you've probably investigated all the easier possibilities, so now's the time to try harder ones. Installing Windows doesn't hurt if you have a clean install disc lying about - if you have 10gb free, you can shrink your current partition, drop Windows 7 there, then test WoW on it (i.e., temporarily dual-boot Windows Vista + 7. This might take about an hour if everything goes correctly, most of it watching Windows slowly install, and can be cleanly undone by just deleting the second install and re-expanding your current partition).

Other tests: look for a laptop cooler, or place your laptop in a significantly cooler (not humid) place - open a window for a while, perhaps. If the problem diminishes, it's a heat issue (which may then be due to driver fault, or bad hardware).

Run something else that eats GPU and see if it slows down as well. This might depend on your being roughly familiar with how such software would behave normally on a laptop of your spec.

The problems started before halloween. At first it was kinda a 50/50 chance if it would happen. Sometimes it would run fine, other times i would get a minute or so of crap every 30 - 45 seconds. The only vista install i have is the system restore cd that came with the computer. I tried to buy windows 7 tonight but staples only had the upgrade from one 7 version to another, walmart, have every version except the one i wanted, target didn't have anything, and the mall was no help either. I was hoping to get the full version instead of an upgrade. While it may cost more, if i ever have to reload this computer in the future, i wont have to install vista and then the windows 7 upgrade. And i wouldn't have to deal with all the crap best buy sneaks in on the restore cd for vista.

New speedfan results
    GPU - 127f
    Core 1 - 124f
    Core 2 - 124f

EDIT: after an hour or so of WoW with much better frame rates

GPU - 145f
    Core 1 - 137f
    Core 2 - 137f

Grimm on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grimm wrote: »
    the fan isnt running at all now,

What, what? That's not a good thing, you know.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well it must be a little. Before it sounded like an airplane was taking off, now its not even noticeable. The case isnt nearly as hot as it used to be.

Grimm on